A Person of Interest Community
Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBS
The Machine and its predecessors in films and books:

I'll try to give my perspective on The Machine and what I've learned from watching other works involving similar plots. The ones of us who like the AI-concept behind The Machine might find this article worth a read. Others not much so. There will be no Finch-Reese-Shaw-Root-Carter-Bear-Fusco plots in here.

The obvious link to Enemy of the State (1998) has been mentioned before. After that came Eagle Eye (2008). I recently watched The Echelon Conspiracy (2009), that one had a wickedly POI-esque credits sequence.

Those three films precedes the TV-series Person of Interest (2011) and have surveillance and advanced AI at work. To those following the series who have not watched these films I recommend a view. We have to go back even further than 1998 to get to my first encounter with Machine Intelligence. Rather to 2001: A space Odyssey (1968), where HAL_9000 is dictating the terms of life support and destination.

Attribution to: jrigh @ deviantart

To continue the lookback we move forward to Blade Runner (1982) based on a novel by Philip K. Dick, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (1968).

Here, we have the technolgy to turn images 360 degrees to see what's around corners and to enhance images quite extraordinarily. War Games (1983) gave us a game that wasn't a game and held some AI sequences as well.

Going further into the world of books, 1984 (1949) by George Orwell, beckons a visit. Big Brother is watching and we've arrived to the core of The Machine. Filmed as Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984).
Music by Eurythmics 1984

I'm in no way well read or have an extensive watching score, have I missed some really vital films and books here? Please put them in the comments.

On the back of those films and books I'd say that having them in the back of my mind it's great fun to watch Person of Interest. What's in your POI backpack?

poll

30 Comments