Person of Interest

Cura Te Ipsum

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Oct 13, 2011 on CBS

• The last five minutes are easily the best bit of television I have seen all season.

Person of Interest is quickly proving itself to be anything BUT just another CBS procedural. This last episode had stellar performances all around with the star easily being Linda Cardellini. I thought it fitting that she reprises her role as a medical professional (having since made the jump from nurse on E.R. to a doctor here) and her performance on this episode was an absolute necessity for all of the major themes to come through.

I've heard this show being likened to The Dark Knight (seeing as how Christopher Nolan is one of the showrunners) and it is very apparent in Cura Te Ipsum. From the Latin for "Heal thyself" we find that the meaning of the title applies as much to Cardellini's character as it does to Jim Caviezel's Mr. Reese. They are both seeking a way out of the circumstances that have haunted them for years and the ending scene of this episode is so brilliant in showing that maybe we can't choose which path we take and we can't choose who we are, and that sometimes the "good decision" has to be made for us.

Person of Interest is not just a smart, high concept thriller - it is quickly becoming one of the best shows to explore vigilantism and the innate illegality of being a "superhero." I heard awhile back that they were toying around with the idea of creating a Smallville like television show for Batman. Forget that, we've already got our TV Batman: it's Mr. Reese and he's even got an Alfred in the form of Mr. Finch.

Foe