Person of Interest

Firewall

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM May 17, 2012 on CBS

• John Reese vs Jason Bourne

I know that others have commented on the similarities between John Reese and Jason Bourne, but this episode highlighted one of those parallels when Dr. Turing mentioned that Reese was hyper-aware and liked to protect people. Jason Bourne is definitely the superior of the two, because he can win almost any physical fight and also seems to be able to predict what others will do more often than Reese can.

But John compares with Jason with how he uses the same fighting styles and considerately waits to punch someone until they have touched him in a manner that indicates that they want to detain him. In the pilot episode, Anton was the only person in the room with guns that he didn't hurt. This was because the young thug finally had learned not move threateningly and keep his hands up in an indication of surrender, but the other punks were trying to harm or kill John.

John also went out of his way to not hurt the two men who escorted him to Finch, even though he didn't know what kind of situation he was being forced into. That was because they treated him with respect and didn't come within a foot of him.

Then when they did try to physically stop him from walking away from Harold, he took pity on them. Because he understood that they were Finch's bodyguards and only doing their job, he simply knocked them into each other. That gave one man a headache and bruised the other guy's nose, but Reese could have created a lot worse damage, as he proved time and again in different episodes.

• The proper doors are left open

The writing team succeeds again in forcing the ever-expanding team to think fast throughout the entire episode. One last player takes to the field in quite the spectacular way. The show's ironic sense of justice also carries through. Some characters (such as this week's p.o.i.) do meet unfortunate ends, but well in the interest of the larger schemes.
  • Brilliant series!

did the ending remind anyone of the ending to The Matrix ,with Neo and the phone booth?..."what is the [machine]?"
  • "Error: Continuity of Operations Compromised. Evaluating Options."

And with that final unspoken line, we now have to wait until September. AUGH!

But what a nonstop hour led up to it!

No flashbacks this time. (Sorry Nathan Ingram fans, but we don't get to see closure there, although we do find out the way in which his death came about, both the false reason that a certain recurring character had been fed, and Finch's confirmation of the real reason that we've pretty much known all along, especially after "Super" and "No Good Deed.") While I was really hoping for at least some more flashbacks coming into the episode, it's so clear why they were omitted (and not just to save some for Season Two)--the pacing of the finale is so airtight (again co-penned by Jonathan Nolan himself--well, duh :) ) that any flashbacks would have seemed jarring and out-of-place.

The acting as usual is superb by the leads, fully complemented by a nice helping of recurring characters. One recurring character does such an outstanding job that it completely changed my view of that character. The supporting cast did an admirable job of following Caviezel and Emerson's modeling of how to act with one's eyes, so evudent and emphasized especially in these past few weeks.

Fans will be talking even more about which recurring characters did not appear in the episode, having quite apparently been tabled until next season. I actually liked the omissions in the end, because being proven wrong about some of my finale assumptions turned out to actually be a very good thing. Anyone who feared that the finale would be predictable because it would simply have to involve this or that character will be pleased with the result. Yes, you can figure out the ending on some levels based on past episodes and events in this one, but the awesome part is that it's only one of so many other options you'll be considering, that you really won't know which one until the end, thanks to the depth to which this series has been written thus far.

Plus, there's enough surprise moments (including two Finch ones that you'll literally applaud) and the pace is so tight, that you'll either just kick back and enjoy the ride, or you'll end up taking two or three hours to watch it due to pausing to try to analyze every possible outcome.

Does it end on a cliffhanger? Yes, but in the Nolan sense. It doesn't end abruptly midscene, so you won't necessarily torture yourself by watching it. While the final moment does leave you hanging a bit, the Season Two premiere doesn't necessarily have to pick up the microsecond after this one ended (although we'll all be wondering what the final resolution is, given that it would answer a question that's been around for, oh, about a week now). The ending is satisfying in the "for now" sense, making the wait doable because you just know it's going to be so worthwhile. (And, let's face it--four months is way shorter than the four years we'll have had to wait between the second installment and the conclusion of a certain superhero movie franchise that Nolan has been doing with his brother.)

So what does the finale resolve? Well, without giving away any spoilers, the following items do get addressed:

Carter and Fusco (where this happens is absolutely hilarious, especially for Fusco fans).

Finch and two different recurring characters whom we've been eager for him to finally interact with more directly.

Donnelly and, well, let's just say that those of you who have missed the pre-Episode 9 Carter will end up starting to really like the character.

Fusco and the HR situation he referred to last week in "No Good Deed."

For those of you who had anticipated that the increaing number of recurring characters would likely result in one or more recurring characters meeting their end, one does, though I won't say which one..

Those of you who need your periodic Zoe fix will not be disappointed--as usual, they gave her some really memorable lines, which it seems Paige Turco was born to deliver.

And, those of you who have been following Jonathan Nolan's hints (about the Machine's developing role) by monitoring the clues over the entire season will be very happy indeed.

Ok, I lied--four months is an excruciatingly long time to wait. But after watching this season finale, you'll know it will be absolutely worth the wait!

Thanks so much for an awesome Season One, Mr. Abrams, Mr. Nolan, Mr. Caviezel, Mr. Emerson, Ms. Henson, Mr. Chapman, and the rest of this incredible cast and crew! Kudos to you all!

• Brain...glitching...ahhh!!

No words can describe. Quite possibly the best episode of a TV show I have ever seen in my life. I would seriously pay to see that in theaters! So many people involved, so much action, so much intrigue, humor, twists and turns, and a HUGE reveal at the end! Plus a crazy cliffhanger as well (there's someone even higher?!)!!! Season 2 needs to start right now! Absolutely outstanding finale to an absolutely outstanding series!
  • Amy Acker you baddy you

This was a brilliant cliff hanger/end of season episode. Have to admit though I did know who Amy would turn out to be as soon as she showed up lol. You do not get her unless you are going to use her well. Amy has come a long way since super innocent and cute Fred in Angel.

I was also very pleae to see the return on Paige Turco to the show I always enjoy her cameos in PoI and have been a fan since she was in American Gothic.

Favourite scene of the series was in this episode with Fusco and Carter in the bathroom and good ole Finch deilvering a classic one line as only he can. Can not wait till next season to see how Reece and Co. get back our favourite geek.
  • 1 word Awesome"

"What a fantastic season ender?! Now that's what i call great show!, fantastic episode! humorous dialogues, i realy love those 1 liners from Reese!, Ending was Superb! "Resse talking to the computer via the street cam & its response", can't wait for S2!
  • I wanna be John Reese!

This show is powerful and leaves my mind blown with each episode. "Firewall was masterful!!!
  • Best show on TV?

I thought next to Nikita this was my favorite show, but I might be wrong now. Everyone loves a well written conspiracy. Whether its mortals taking away superpowers or a black box that reveals the secrets of the world (Prison Break, Nikita) --- well this ep took this series to the next level for me. I don't know what makes the plot thicker, HR, the CIA who are putting on the clamps or John having to go back to his old recon tactics now that the stakes have been taken to the highest possible ante.

Can't wait for next season. We need more shows like this out there, we miss Dollhouse, 24, Prison Break, Lost and the rest of the epic action suspense non CSI regurgitated toddler feed.

• Awesome Finale!!!

I love this show, the ending was incredible I laughed, cried, froze, almost died! lol. my mom was in the next room and had to see what i was watching cause i was so exited. Can't wait for season 2!
  • 1x23 "Firewall"

*Dies because of Reese's badass one-liners*
  • A flawless season finale for an amazing season!

Great cliff-hanger leaving things interesting for the next season! Although (SPOILER ALERT) I did see coming that Amy Acker's character was more than met the eye. Now to wait til September for the next awesome season of this new and incredible show! The only thing that bother me (kind of) was that we didn't get to see John's military pal (who we thought was dead but actually wasn't) in this episode! I was waiting for her to appear at some point in the final scene but she didn't! Now (and this is why I said "kind of" earlier) the final scene of the episode was AWESOME!!!!!!! Now the machine and John will work together to find Finch? What does Root plan to do with him? So many questions! Can't wait for next season's premiere!
  • Outa breath!

Man, that was intense. It had so much humour, awe moments and "literaly applause" moments.

Can'tt wait for season 2
  • They don't make season finales better than that.

Person Of Interest is officially one of my all time favorites now. They don't make season finales better than that. I don't think there was even a single below average episode in the whole season. It has gotten better with every episode and continuously finds new ways to surprise us. You can't take your eyes off the screen even for one moment. Sky is the limit for this show and its team, and with the talent in front of the screen as well as behind it, this show has the potential to reach places where no other show has gone. Take a bow POI.Take a bow.

Additionally, I was hoping that Root wasn't Reese's old partner because I wanted an arch nemesis for Finch exclusively. So I was glad that it turned out that way. I couldn't be more excited for S2. Bring it on.

• fantastic finale

Wow! This show is fantastic and this was the best season finale ever! There are a few really good shows on TV, and this is definitely one of the best. I didn't watch the first few episodes, but after I saw my first, I was hooked - this is a great show and so glad it is continuing! Bravo to all involved!
  • OMFG, Awesomeeeeeeeeee Finale.

Intrigue, tense, suberb and perfect finale. Finally Carter discover Fusco and Fusco discover Carter, now can't wait to see how this relationship with John and Finch going next season. Amy Acker guest star is cool, now we know, she is the hacker, she is the Root. Smart move of her use HR and John to get Finch. Alicia appears in this one and more surprise after Root kill her. John rocks in this episode, helped by Carter and Fusco, the team machine stop HR.

The final scene, great cliffhanger with Root take Finch, now John need to find him. The last minute Reese talk with a machine woooooooooooow, now both work together to save the boss, genius, brilliant. Can't wait for next fall to see the second season, great finale just great.
  • WOW!!!

This finale absolutely blew me away. I was hooked from start to finish. Can't wait for the season 2. This is definitely the best action/drama tv series around right now. Way to go Nolan,Abrams and co.
  • Superb and Thrilling Season Finale!!

Quickly, in regards to the first comment on this page, the show has NOT been cancelled. It was renewed in March of this year for a full second season this coming fall. Same time, same station, and the show's lead ins are two of the biggest comedy blockbusters on CBS's schedule: "The Big Bang Theory" and "Two and a Half Men." Look for ratings to go way up this fall!

In regards to tonight's finale: WOW. I can't remember the last time a TV show has had me hooked from start to finish. The entire hour was thrilling! It was full of suspense, action, and drama.

Without revealing any spoilers for those who haven't watched yet, the crew has really set themselves up for an excellent season two with the way they ended the show tonight. Again, I was simply wowed by tonight's show, and I literally cannot wait for this fall and for Person of Interest to return!!
CBS