Person of Interest

Foe

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Nov 17, 2011 on CBS

• Your country needs you

Was a very good episode ...very entertaining one

I loved theresemblance betweenReese and that old soldier...

Loved the back flashes about how Reese was recruited 2 kill i suppose... The mysterious lady superior from his past ... the one who forced him to leave his relationships out of his life... "for his country"

It's a sad story aboutbetrayal, love and duty.
    Our guy comes back from death after 25 yrsto revenge from his own team/friends. who sold him out and killed his wife... later on we learn she staged her death

It was a sad moment at the end when he let Reese taking him down but I guess it's what he thought a fair end

• No retirement plans for old spooks.

BEST EPISODE YET! I spent half the episode choked with emotion. Admittedly I am a sucker for old spooks sold out and done wrong, and I love Alan Dale, so this one was going to have to really go foul to go wrong with me, but IMO this episode did a number of things really right.

First, the score on this episode was brilliant! The music ratcheted the emotion up to phenomenal levels. I am consistently impressed with POI's scores.

Second, POI is totally redefining the "bromance" and I for one could not be happier. I am sick of seeing a bunch of pansy dudes with low testosterone sitting around whinging about women and work and life in the middle of some pathetic identity crisis, or worse, acting like infantile morons and blaming it on booze and Vegas. Reese and Finch are each in their own way a man's man, and their developing relationship is a treat to watch. Fav moment:

Finch: "No thanks, I don't drink coffee."

Reese: "Sencha green tea, one sugar."

Finch: "You've been paying attention."

Reese: "Relax Finch, it's just tea. I haven't guessed your favorite color yet."

Finch: "New number."

I love that Reese continually pushes Finch's buttons with these tiny intimacies and then teases him about his ivory tower syndrome.

Third: Alan Dale and Jim Caviezel were fantastic in the interrogation scene, temperantly evocative without being trite. The comparison between Reese and Kohl was unavoidable and we learned something important about the reality of the service that these men gave to their countries. They each believed in their countries, they were good soldiers, they followed orders, and it cost them everything. We do not even know if Reese was John Reese before Stanton or if he was John Smith, or John Jones or whatever. What we do know is that John had to turn his back on his pre-2006 life to keep anyone he cared about from that time safe from his own government, from his own team, and just like Kohl, Reese is a loose end that someone if going to come round to tie up before it is all said and done. There are no retirement plans for old spooks.

Last, I love that the show is measured and things are revealing themselves slowly. The 21st century has inured us all to instant gratification, instant intimacy, everything must be action and excitement, edge-of-the-seat-every-second. There is a reason men are attracted to women of mystery: they always keep them guessing. I do not want POI to lay all the cards on the table - take it slow, retain the mystery and always slip me just enough to be sure my fascination never wans. Reese and Finch are the type of men one comes to know with patience and attentiveness, and as my daddy always said, nothing that came easy was ever truly appreciated.

P.S. I stand by my prediction that a covert team of Reese/Finch and Fusco/Carter may soon become reality. There was a crucial shift in Carter's perspective this episode, and she is now referring to "the man in the suit" as a "vigilante" and not a perpetrator.

• Austin Pendleton...long time no see!

We have got to see this Pilcher character again, don't tease us. Pendleton has the perfect vibe for this program, quirky and dark. For whatever reason, he's rarely taken on recurring television roles. But the few he has are right up this same alley: Jonah on The Equalizer, or unstable William Giles on Oz (remember? "I kill, but never lie!"). Plus Pilcher fills an interesting gap in the world of the Machine...who controls the information that predates the Silicon Age? He's Finch's analog counterpart, and it would seem likely that our heroes might need more of what he has to broker, down the road. I mean, he's the only guy around who still knows how to work the microfiche machine, LOL

Nautilus