Person of Interest Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Episodical or arc-based

zweiratten

[1]Feb 26, 2014
    • level: 5

Hi all,

I'm about 5 episodes into season 1 and - despite being quite pleased so far - am starting to wonder if this show is for me. I greatly enjoy shows with strong emphasis on story-arcs spanning seasons or the entire show (e.g. Breaking Bad, Battlestar Galactica, FlashForward). On the other hand episodical shows (e.g. CSI, NCIS) just don't keep me hooked.

Sure, the first few episodes hint at some mid-term story elements (e.g. main char's histories and losses, what the machine is capable of and what it is up to), but not sure if those will be developed down the road.

So... before investing the limited time I have for TV into POI or reading potentially spoiling threads: Can you let me know (no spoilers please) what sort of show POI will turn out to be by season 3?

Thx in advance, regards

2r

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

robhatch986

[2]Mar 1, 2014
    • level: 1
    I went through the same thing during season one, I even stopped watching about a third of the way through season 1 and didn't go back to it until it came out on DVD. I liked it, but wasn't blown away, but somewhere around 2/3's of the way through it took a step up, and then the season ending story arch kicked it up even more. Season 2's story arch's got me hooked for good, and it quickly became my favorite show. It has kicked it up even farther with the current season, to levels that are mind blowing, edge of your seat, "holy Sh** good, the only thing to keep in mind is that it is only the serialized episodes that are elite level stuff (about half the season). The stand alone episodes are usually fun though, and worth watching, they are just not on the same level. It's an understandable format that the writers use, you can't really sustain a good continuing story line through a whole season without it losing something, the stand alones kind of take it down a notch for a week or two at a time, and make the high tension stuff that much more effective. The stand alones also throw in a little story arch related stuff a lot of times, so it's not advisable to skip them.
    The bottom line is that the stand alones are good, and worth your time, while the story arch's are the best television I've seen in years. I wish I could go back and watch them all for the first time the way you can now, you'll see some back stories as the the current characters develop (including the machine), and get introduced to some great new ones along the way...enjoy the ride.

zweiratten

[3]Mar 2, 2014
    • level: 5

Thanks Rob, for your answer and the time you took to write it!

I'm glad to hear it will at least partially turn towards arc-based story telling. Having every episode be relevant to the/an arc can be done, but I'm fine with some interspersed epicsodicals. So I'll keep going and get back to this thread, just in case anyone else is wondering the same thing and wants a 2nd opinion ;-)

Cheers,
    2r

robhatch986

[4]Mar 13, 2014
    • level: 1

I hope you do pop back in on occasion, I'm interested to hear what you think as you watch more episodes. Be glad to answer any further questions that might pop up as you watch it, without spoiling future episodes of course, which you were right to avoid by not going to the main threads.