Person of Interest Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBSBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: Firewall (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 14, 2012
    • level: 101

Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/17/12 episode "Firewall" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MindsFan

[2]May 17, 2012
    • level: 2
    OMG... OMG... OMG... That was an AMAZING episode. The wait until next Fall is going to be very tough. Is anyone else totally freaking out right now?

Endoplasmic888

[3]May 17, 2012
    • level: 7
    I completely forgot about Root. I know the therapist had more secrets (since her box was yellow meaning she knows about the machine) but I never expected her to be Root.

BarryWeen3

[4]May 17, 2012
    • level: 14

FREAKIN A!!

What a great finale, what a great show.

The action, the twists, the return of Zoe and Root, Carter and Fusco finding out about each other...finally.

Loved how it ended with John speaking to the machine. Can't wait for this show to return.

Like others have said and I've said before, this show just gets better and better as the season unfolded and layers were revealed and backstory was built up and the characters and the mythology were fleshed out.

AriSky

[5]May 18, 2012
    • level: 36

That was brilliant. I saw the yellow frame on the PoI of the week and immediately started thinking she would be Root. And great good gods, she's completely crazy! Right now, she feels like a fangirl. I'm sure she's after Finch because she wants access to the Machine, but it came across as crazy fangirl to me. I was also a little disappointed that they killed off Alisha. I felt like there should have been more to her story, based on how connected she was to the whole thing. As such, she didn't really serve any purpose.

They had me worried for a moment that Carter might shoot Fusco, but it worked out in the end - just another of the positive outcomes of the episode. I absolutely loved the expressions as they realized what was going on and how well they worked together. I have a feeling it's going to get a little bumpy, but it'll be a great interaction to keep an eye on.

The one thing that really bothered me was how easy it was for Reese to get the Machine to contact him. With how secure it's supposed to be, it was too simple. I love what it implies; that the Machine is protective of Finch and that it's got enough of a ghost in the machine thing going on to have emotional responses in the first place. But it also makes me worry that next season is going to see Finch and Reese separated for the majority, working toward a reunion - I'm not sure the series would have the same appeal if that were the case.

For a season finale, it didn't feel like a huge, nail-biting cliffhanger and I appreciated that. There's enough intrigue that I really want it to be September for the next season to start, but not so much that I'm pissed at having to wait that long. The breaks between episodes probably helped train me for that.

Holy amazing first season, Person of Interest! Keep it coming.

Metusion

[6]May 18, 2012
    • level: 3

awesome episode!!!

I think this is my favorite show. It's just pure quality

TomWayne

[7]May 18, 2012
    • level: 5

Ok, I'm more than willing to eat crow by admitting that I was wrong about Root being Stanton. (Of course, that still doesn't mean she's not connected somehow, but I admit that I fell for the red herrings, especially in the final scene of "Matsya Nyaya.")

The fun part about this show is, even when it's predictable, it's not really, because of the depth that's been written into the characters and the story. I was getting the feeling that this POI felt a whole lot like Charlie Burton from "Witness," but thought, nah, they wouldn't go for the "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" thing. But then they did! And you know why I loved it? Because there were more than enough surpise applaudable moments (Finch's job on the cell towers, Carter confronting Fusco in the can, Finch calling Carter on cue right after she learns the truth about Fusco and Reese & Finch) that the "yup, they did it again" feeling was actually just another fun part of the ride (like when a brand new roller coaster has those sections that have an old-school feel).

Alicia Corwin and Agent Donnelly actually made me like them--no way! Donnelly is fast becoming the pre-Episode 9 Carter (a very fun contrast to the current Carter), and is exceptionally sharp, not to mention doing his job with apparent integrity (like Carter always had). He's not out to kill Reese--he just wants the truth and wants to do his job to protect society. His glimpse into the possibility that there is more than meets the eye here gets fostered this time not by the CIA, but by seeing the dirty HR cops going after Reese. The realization that, if dirty cops want the man in the suit dead so badly, is that man maybe worth looking at from another angle? Only Season Two will tell!

Poor Alicia! When she finally showed her frailty, my tension changed into compassion, as Finch's did. This was also helped by the fact that she apparently deep down had cared about Nathan and regretted his murder, as she was taking her anger over it out on Finch. (Due to apparently having been lied to by her superiors that the Machine had identified Nathan as a terrorism threat, Alicia blamed the Machine for killing him, as she obviously did not believe he was a threat, and therefore that the Machine was flawed. Finch gently pointed out that the Machine was not flawed, and that Alicia's superiors had manipulated the info (either using made-up info or the info that Nathan was a POI because of their plot to kill him) so that they could have an excuse to kill him--one that would force Alicia to follow orders and keep quiet, then to follow orders to send Reese and Stanton on their ill-fated mission to Ordos. Then, right when she began to realize that she'd been wrong and lied to and manipulated, after confessing that she'd lived in fear of the Machine over the past 1-2 years (as she believed it had falsely identified Nathan as a terrorist threat, by extension she would be paranoid that it would one day due the same to her), after we finally saw some tears and humanity from this woman who wasn't even a shadow of the confident polished liaison that had been in Nathan's office back in 2005, BANG!. Enter Miss Wackadoodle-of-the-Year. Exit Alicia. Permanently. Ouch! I was just starting to actually like her, then Root had to do a Joker and make light of killing her. Yowza. Root actually makes Elias seem reasonable in comparison.

And then there was the even bigger reveal--the one long awaited by those who have been following Jonathan Nolan's hints that the Machine has a developing role as a character in its own right (not some sci-fi sentient computer, but one with a more interactive AI), and have therefore been watching meticulously for clues all season (e.g. its eventual popup window reference to Reese by name and classifying him as an "Asset"). Reese figured out how to activate (at least on some level) Finch and Nathan's contingency plan--that the Machine would respond to direct communication by an "Asset" as if the person were an authorized user, and engaging its support systems accordingly. Even though Root was careful in what she said to Finch so as to not trigger a response on him, Reese was able to do so by directly addressing the Machine and letting it know that Finch was in danger and that Reese needed its help. (Nice bookend to the end of the Pilot episode, which ended with the scene of Reese staring silently up at the camera--the same scene that appears in the opening montage.)

And now Reese knows what the pay phone call Finch took in "No Good Deed" was all about.

Gonna be a long summer!

Edited on 05/18/2012 1:04am

TylerA46

[8]May 18, 2012
    • level: 11

What a great ending..... Well, Alicia was short-lived. Pointless storyline for her, if she gets killed right away.... Wonder if Fusco knows, that the HR-cop saw him.

blackmage8472

[9]May 18, 2012
    • level: 15

I'll echo all the "oh my god" and "that was awesome". I figured there was something off about the therapist, the yellow box, but I thought it might be that she had been a former therapist with Homeland security or something.

I'm utterly thrilled that Amy Acker has been cast as Root. She was in the 5th season of Alias as an assassin and she was such an interesting character.

So thoughts on the phone call... has "god" called Reese?

Jeanie

[10]May 18, 2012
    • level: 1
    Such a great episode. Can't wait till fall to see what happens with Finch. I think the writers had to kill off Alisha quick because she was a threat to the machine. She wanted it turned off or destroyed, so she had to go. And Root, what a nut job. What does she want with Finch? I guess I can only assume she wants to pick his brain about the machine. Loved the reveal of Carter and Fusco to each other, Finch was right on time. He was probably listening to them anyway. Liked the addition of Zoe to the finale. She proved to be a good asset. And poor Reese, he looked lost without Finch. But I'm still left with a lot of loose ends. What happened with Snow, Evans, and Stanton? Guess I'll have to wait till fall to find out.

pandaman1982

[11]May 18, 2012
    • level: 2

So Root's name is Caroline Turing, a nice little joke there though of course it could be inspired by Alan Turing himself rather than his test.

blackmage8472

[12]May 18, 2012

TylerA46 wrote:

What a great ending..... Well, Alicia was short-lived. Pointless storyline for her, if she gets killed right away.... Wonder if Fusco knows, that the HR-cop saw him.

I disagree about Alicia. While I still watch conventional cop dramas one of the tools I most despise is when they try to set up a character as a red herring (a misleading clue) because it's always obvious that the person you're suposed to suspect throughout half the episode didn't do it. In this case Alicia had been quietly built up over the last several episodes as having a number of possibilities.

TomWayne

[13]May 18, 2012
    • level: 5

TylerA46 wrote:

Not really pointless--there's till many more scenes she will likely have as flashbacks in S2. After all, we never saw Nathan's murder, Finch's injury, the story behind the Ordos laptop, or Alicia's departure from the NSA.

Edited on 05/18/2012 11:10am

anbis82

[14]May 18, 2012
    • level: 60

Wow, that was amazing, at least one show makes the finale right! I think I have absolutely nothing to complain about. And Reese talked to the machine! How great was that?

ronwhitehouse

[15]May 18, 2012
    • level: 8

Okay, so now that Fusco has had to blow his cover infiltrating HR, they just gotta give us his backstory in season 2 (I've been waiting so patiently!). He's got a hard road ahead of him, but maybe not so lonely now that he and Carter can begin to trust one another.

And was it just me, or did that final payphone scene feel a little bit like the ending of The Lawnmower Man? Getting goosebumps here...

Seth_Bullock

[16]May 19, 2012

OK! I give up.

I'm a Big POI Fan, I saw the "Pilot" & have viewed every episode twice, and I have no idea where the reference to "Root" is coming from!

So--- How did all you guys know about "Root"! In a prior Episode??

Which Episode, and at what Time in that episode??

THANKS!

birdofparadise

[17]May 19, 2012

Wow, what an awesome episode!

I have a few observations and questions that I hope everyone on here can help me with!

(1) When Reese and Root were running through the hotel stairwell trying to escape HR, they were planning to run to the roof to fly a helicopter to safety. However, when Reese realized that the FBI unit was on the roof, he immediately stopped heading toward the helicopter and instructed Root to follow him to a different route (in order to avoid the FBI).

I am wondering why Reese couldn't have just left Root with the FBI as a) she would be relatively safe with them because they would be able to protect her from HR, b) the FBI didn't want her dead, and c) Reese would be much more efficient at escaping from HR and the FBI on his own.

That's been bothering me a lot, but I'm sure there's a good reason why Reese decided to take Root along with him.

(2) I began watching POI at "Witness", I missed all previous episodes except for "Judgment", "Cura Te Ipsum", and "Mission Creep". I have been reading episode recaps online, as well as forums, but I am finding that I am still not fully up-to-speed regarding Nathan's death and his company. What has been said about Nathan's death? What is happening with the company now?

(3) Would anyone care to share all of their knowledge about the Machine? I feel like I don't fully understand it. Is it really important to pay attention to the words/colours (e.g. identifying John as an "asset"... I have NEVER noticed this) when the camera is in "machine mode"? I have not been up to this point, but after reading other members' posts, I am concerned that I have missed key information.

EDIT: Due to typos and clarity.

Edited on 05/18/2012 11:46pm

birdofparadise

[18]May 19, 2012

TomWayne, thanks for your analysis! It is very well-written and enhanced my understanding of the episode!

Edited on 05/18/2012 11:49pm

Seth_Bullock

[19]May 19, 2012
    "ROOT CAUSE"

"Root" was the hacker.

I forgot about that, but I just finished watching the DVD.

blackmage8472

[20]May 19, 2012

birdofparadise,

(1) Well it wouldn't be much of a story if he Reese left her with the FBI. But if you want a better answer, then a) I doubt his training would allow him to let the person he's protecting out of his sight until he'sguaranteedtheir safety and b) I doubt he trusts anyone in the government, he was betrayed by them afterall.

(2) No one's fully up to speed on Nathan's death. All we really know is in the second episode Finch is posing as a low level programmer for the company that he owned and Nathan fronted for. At the end of the episode we saw Nathan's bust with a birth and death date. It's been implied that he died because he had knowledge of the machine. We haven't heard the specifics about his death but I suspect it's related to Finch's injury.

(3) No one fully understands the Machine. We know Finch built it and designed it so only he would truly understand how it works, it connects everything and doing so it appears to have some form of artificial intelligence. Think Skynet pre-apocalypse. It seems to recognize allies and enemies and is able to defend itself.

[/QUOTE]