Person of Interest Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: Firewall (possible spoilers)

Tauros81

[21]May 19, 2012
    • level: 10

MindsFan wrote:
    OMG... OMG... OMG... That was an AMAZING episode. The wait until next Fall is going to be very tough. Is anyone else totally freaking out right now?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sp3kkie

[22]May 19, 2012
    • level: 7
    As said. A trained operative would not let his Person of Interest out of sight (I would like to think). Also, if he let her stay with the FBI he has no knowledge of where she is. And I doubt they can protect her if they didn't know who the enemy was and how deep it goes. Also very important, there was a leak within the FBI, feeding information to HR, so its possible they would hand her over.

As far as Nathans death, it is indeed very much implied that they killed him over his knowledge of the Machine, however, the way it happened is unclear to everyone. Also the company still exists and is in hands of Finch, although the people there don't know it.

The Machine will become a character if you believe the creators of PoI. It has some kind of AI. And as far as the shapes and colors go. I don't really notice that when I'm watching, but after reading reviews and you watch it again it is true. Probably white are "normal" people. Red are people in danger or the people who are the threat. And due to the last couple of episodes yellow is the people who know about the Machine (and maybe I'd like to think, know more about Finch).

And as far as Root goes, you didn't pay attention then very much. She was one of the major enemies that were introduced. An episode is named after her, also the episode thereafter shows the headquarter completely dark. Didn't ask yourself why that was?

texanact

[23]May 19, 2012
    • level: 7

Brilliant episode..great job by the writers and awesome acting and direction..had not guessed that ROOT would be back..boy this would be a long wait till the next season...

Just_Jos

[24]May 19, 2012
    • level: 11

Brilliant episode. Great close for a great first season. I heart Amy Acker.

Edited on 05/19/2012 1:40pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ApolloVilla

[25]May 19, 2012
    • level: 1

Root was in the episode called root cause. she hacked finch's computer and might have gotten some access to the machine.

cowboy2831

[26]May 20, 2012
    • level: 16

Very good from start to finish. Can't wait for next season.

jwcritter

[27]May 21, 2012
    • level: 8

Sounds like an amazing episode, but my satellite hook-up/DVR chose this episode to die and I did not get to see it. Does anyone have a copy of "Firewall" they could share? Thank you.

ohjeans

[28]May 26, 2012
    • level: 2

I think Root was hired by the corrupt politician in D.C. (who was shown a couple of times in earlier episodes). My guess is, he hired Root to find the Mystery Man behind The Machine, because he wants to take control of it. In "Root Cause," Root was perfectly fine with betraying her country for money, but then she murdered the guy she was working with because he was "incompetent." I think the corrupt politician imagines he is controlling her, but he's in for a rude surprise. She'll take his money, but she will pursue her own agenda regarding The Machine. I can see Root developing an obsession with Finch, like the obsession Moriarty developed for Sherlock, in which case she won't extract Finch's information and then kill him right away. She'll want to play a game or two first.

Slash_out

[29]May 29, 2012
    • level: 5
    Awesome... just so... well... so awesome.
    Every single episode, every single one adds to the story, the characters and is just so interesting.

Plots over plots, new layers, deeper characters, every time something good is added and the episodes aren't completly self contained, they always add to the general story lines without it getting so crazzy you don't get it anymore.
    And there is progress, always, the show isn't afraid of making bold steps...
    I mean we all thought that Carter and Fusco's situation would be draged on, and they'll only learn of themselves after a crazzy dramatic event... right? And yet it was done so simply, so tastefully and so well... "Finch : No biggy, you two are friends now be good and help Reese"

My only regret, is that I watched the episodes right away and didn't wait a few months. Now I have to wait until next season, and it's going to be soooooooo hard.

This was the big surprise, and the highlight of this year for me.

phonzee101

[30]Jun 21, 2012
    • level: 13

If you listen closely when Zoe is talking to the guy who impersonated a prosecutor you can hear a part of the root theme. It when he says "blackmailing me" that you can hear one tone from the theme.

Edited on 06/21/2012 9:57am
    Edited 2 total times.

blackmage8472

[31]Jun 23, 2012
    • level: 15

ohjeans wrote:

I think Root was hired by the corrupt politician in D.C. (who was shown a couple of times in earlier episodes). My guess is, he hired Root to find the Mystery Man behind The Machine, because he wants to take control of it. In "Root Cause," Root was perfectly fine with betraying her country for money, but then she murdered the guy she was working with because he was "incompetent." I think the corrupt politician imagines he is controlling her, but he's in for a rude surprise. She'll take his money, but she will pursue her own agenda regarding The Machine. I can see Root developing an obsession with Finch, like the obsession Moriarty developed for Sherlock, in which case she won't extract Finch's information and then kill him right away. She'll want to play a game or two first.

Which corruptpoliticianare you talking about? I rewatched the series (Yes... I have becomeobsessed) and there's not a lot of corrupt politicians. We've seen one who is a leader in HR and it's been implied that there are others who are paid off by Elias, there was the guy who hired Root to kill the other politician and then there's the other 5 who knew about the Machine when it was being created (Ingram said there were 8, so minus Finch, Ingram, and Corwin) and I'm pretty sure we've only seen glimpses of 2 of them.

My guess is Root is simply an independent contractor or possibly ex-CIA. Root seems to be a good enough hacker to manipulate or pay others to do her wetwork and like Finch she seems to highly value her privacy. The only reason Finch knew anything about her was she contacted him. My guess is when she hacked Finch's computer she got a glimpse at what the Machine was so she decided to want to control it.

ohjeans

[32]Jun 24, 2012
    "Which corrupt politician are you talking about?"

I am thinking of the one referred to as Pennsylvania 2 in the credits of episode "No Good Deed." Again, I'm at a disadvantage that I can only watch each episode when it is broadcast, so I've only seen "No Good Deed" once so far, but I recall PA2 on the phone from his office ordering someone's death, and had the impression he was referring to Alicia. However, I don't know if he was talking to Root or someone else. I'm betting PA2 is going to be another major bad guy next season. (The actor credited with the role has had recurring roles on other shows, such as L&O:CI.)

TomWayne

[33]Jun 25, 2012
    • level: 6

birdofparadise wrote:

TomWayne, thanks for your analysis! It is very well-written and enhanced my understanding of the episode!

Thanks, and you're welcome! (Sorry I didn't see this before!)

phonzee101

[34]Jul 2, 2012
    ohjeans wrote:
    "Which corrupt politician are you talking about?"

I am thinking of the one referred to as Pennsylvania 2 in the credits of episode "No Good Deed." Again, I'm at a disadvantage that I can only watch each episode when it is broadcast, so I've only seen "No Good Deed" once so far, but I recall PA2 on the phone from his office ordering someone's death, and had the impression he was referring to Alicia. However, I don't know if he was talking to Root or someone else. I'm betting PA2 is going to be another major bad guy next season. (The actor credited with the role has had recurring roles on other shows, such as L&O:CI.)
    Pennsylvania 2 is not in the credits for ``No Good Deed``. I`m looking at a paused image screen of the closing credits right now. I got ``No Good Deed`` as a torrent.

ohjeans

[35]Jul 3, 2012

phonzee101 wrote:
    ohjeans wrote:
    "Which corrupt politician are you talking about?" I am thinking of the one referred to as Pennsylvania 2 in the credits of episode "No Good Deed." Again, I'm at a disadvantage that I can only watch each episode when it is broadcast, so I've only seen "No Good Deed" once so far, but I recall PA2 on the phone from his office ordering someone's death, and had the impression he was referring to Alicia. However, I don't know if he was talking to Root or someone else. I'm betting PA2 is going to be another major bad guy next season. (The actor credited with the role has had recurring roles on other shows, such as L&O:CI.)
    Pennsylvania 2 is not in the credits for ``No Good Deed``. I`m looking at a paused image screen of the closing credits right now. I got ``No Good Deed`` as a torrent.

Hmm... Must have been some other end-of-season episode. Sorry for the misdirection.

blackmage8472

[36]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 15

ohjeans wrote:

phonzee101 wrote:
    ohjeans wrote:
    "Which corrupt politician are you talking about?" I am thinking of the one referred to as Pennsylvania 2 in the credits of episode "No Good Deed." Again, I'm at a disadvantage that I can only watch each episode when it is broadcast, so I've only seen "No Good Deed" once so far, but I recall PA2 on the phone from his office ordering someone's death, and had the impression he was referring to Alicia. However, I don't know if he was talking to Root or someone else. I'm betting PA2 is going to be another major bad guy next season. (The actor credited with the role has had recurring roles on other shows, such as L&O:CI.)

Hmm... Must have been some other end-of-season episode. Sorry for the misdirection.

You're refering to that actor Jay Sanders and according to imdb his character was "Pennsylvania 2" for that episode. However I don't think he's anything more than just a high levelbureaucrat trying to keep theexistenceof the machine a secret.

bertholio

[37]Jul 4, 2012
    • level: 1
    When Root is talking to Finch in the car at the end she says she was blackmailing a CEO. Anyone else thing she is on about Ingram or just me?

phonzee101

[38]Jul 4, 2012
    bertholio wrote:
    When Root is talking to Finch in the car at the end she says she was blackmailing a CEO. Anyone else thing she is on about Ingram or just me?
    I never thought anything of it when she said that, but after seeing you type that I have to wonder.

TomWayne

[39]Jul 11, 2012
    • level: 6

phonzee101 wrote:
    bertholio wrote:
    I never thought anything of it when she said that, but after seeing you type that I have to wonder.

I had a different thought that made me chuckle--that she was talking about some sleaze that we'd previously met, like Keller or Lawson from Vertannen Pharmaceutical ("The Fix," and referenced in "Risk"). Since they like to dispose of disloyal employees, that might have been enough to take Root from blackmailing hacker to killer. (But then again, she seems much more dyed-in-the-wool than that, and the Vertannen execs were still alive as of "Risk.") Still entertaining to think about, though!

delta_belle

[40]Aug 26, 2012
    • level: 12

Surefire cure for Finch's dislike of guns: Root finding out about Grace.