Person of Interest Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: Firewall (possible spoilers)

CarmenGarcade

[41]Sep 11, 2012
    • level: 2

HI EVERYONE!

i´m hoping this threat is still alive, i have just finished season 1 of POI and i´m very adicted to this show, and i have one problem wiht the finale that is bothering me, hope you can help me... why didnt the machine pop out finch´s number?? he was being followed by alicia for a while and root was after him also... that doesn´t make sense to me...

sorry for the bad english

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BarryWeen3

[42]Sep 12, 2012
    • level: 14

CarmenGarcade wrote:

HI EVERYONE!

i�m hoping this threat is still alive, i have just finished season 1 of POI and i�m very adicted to this show, and i have one problem wiht the finale that is bothering me, hope you can help me... why didnt the machine pop out finch�s number?? he was being followed by alicia for a while and root was after him also... that doesn�t make sense to me...

sorry for the bad english

I'm guessing because the intent wasn't there yet. The Machine is suppose to be determining which POIs pose a possible violent threat or are a possible victim of such violence. Alicia wanted answers and Root probably has enough computer skills to mask herself from the Machine if she figured out the existence of the Machine and Finch which is what the finale seems to indicate.

maniack

[43]Sep 13, 2012
    • level: 1
    blackmage8472 wrote:

birdofparadise,

(2) No one's fully up to speed on Nathan's death. All we really know is in the second episode Finch is posing as a low level programmer for the company that he owned and Nathan fronted for. At the end of the episode we saw Nathan's bust with a birth and death date. It's been implied that he died because he had knowledge of the machine. We haven't heard the specifics about his death but I suspect it's related to Finch's injury.

[/QUOTE]

Well, the strong implication I get is that Nathan and Harold were setup to get killed in an "accident" - by the government operatives who know about the machine (presumably one or more of the five other than Alicia, Nathan, and Harold who initially knew about the machine). This matches nicely with the events at Ordos and the plan to eliminate anyone who had contact with the machine.

It seems that Nathan did not survive the accident, but Harold did - this is where his injuries came from. However, the government does not know of Harold's existence/survival and does not know he knows about the machine - only Alicia figures this out from the conversation with Nathan, when Nathan slips that eight people know of its existence instead of seven.

Suncatcher1

[44]Sep 14, 2012
    • level: 5

Hi Carmen!

You wrote: "i�m very adicted to this show, and i have one problem wiht the finale that is bothering me, hope you can help me... why didnt the machine pop out finch�s number?? he was being followed by alicia for a while and root was after him also... that doesn�t make sense to me..."

The reason Finch's SSNdid not pop out of the machine as in danger is because Root and Alicia were very careful not to threaten Finch in any way that the machine could pick up on. I believe Root even says so in Firewall. No threat - no machine response. You're getting the hang of it! Can't wait until the season premiere on 09/27! : )

BarryWeen3

[45]Sep 14, 2012

Suncatcher1 wrote:

Hi Carmen!

You wrote: "i�m very adicted to this show, and i have one problem wiht the finale that is bothering me, hope you can help me... why didnt the machine pop out finch�s number?? he was being followed by alicia for a while and root was after him also... that doesn�t make sense to me..."

The reason Finch's SSNdid not pop out of the machine as in danger is because Root and Alicia were very careful not to threaten Finch in any way that the machine could pick up on. I believe Root even says so in Firewall. No threat - no machine response. You're getting the hang of it! Can't wait until the season premiere on 09/27! : )

That's what I said...

blackmage8472

[46]Sep 15, 2012
    • level: 15

maniack wrote:

Well, the strong implication I get is that Nathan and Harold were setup to get killed in an "accident" - by the government operatives who know about the machine (presumably one or more of the five other than Alicia, Nathan, and Harold who initially knew about the machine). This matches nicely with the events at Ordos and the plan to eliminate anyone who had contact with the machine. It seems that Nathan did not survive the accident, but Harold did - this is where his injuries came from. However, the government does not know of Harold's existence/survival and does not know he knows about the machine - only Alicia figures this out from the conversation with Nathan, when Nathan slips that eight people know of its existence instead of seven.

Actually I think Nathan was set up to be killed on his own and Finch was simply in the line of fire so to speak. Remember, Finch went to great lengths for people to not know he was part of the creation of the Machine. The first time anyone had any inkling of Finch'sexistencewas the first time Nathan slipped and told Alicia there was an 8th man, right before the Machine was shipped. However Alicia doesn't start to figure out who that man is until Nathan's son mentions the name "Harold Wren."

The only problem with the timeline right now are the details. Someone did make one online but it has left me with a few questions:http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline/Pre-2011. The biggest one being how long after shipping the Machine did Ingram live?

Cranky_Old_Batt

[48]Sep 23, 2012
    • level: 6

CarmenGarcade wrote:

... why didn't the machine pop out Finch's number?? He was being followed by Alicia for a while and Root was after him also... that doesn't make sense to me...

I am wondering that as well. I suspect that Finch is a target everyday of his life because of his ties to the machine, but this seems like the kind of immediate threat that would make his number pop out. I hope they explain that in the new season.

Edited on 09/23/2012 7:49pm

BarryWeen3

[49]Sep 24, 2012

Cranky_Old_Batt wrote:

CarmenGarcade wrote:

... why didn't the machine pop out Finch's number?? He was being followed by Alicia for a while and Root was after him also... that doesn't make sense to me...

I am wondering that as well. I suspect that Finch is a target everyday of his life because of his ties to the machine, but this seems like the kind of immediate threat that would make his number pop out. I hope they explain that in the new season.

Aren't both Finch and Reese off the grid and Finch was responsible for that? So if they're both off the grid, presumed dead, and have had all traces erased, why would the Machine pop out their numbers? And it's been a while since I paid attention to the opening credits, but when Reese and Finch are scanned by the Machine, don't they show up as Status: Presumed Dead? So doesn't it make sense that their numbers are never going to show up? Plus considering what Finch and Reese are doing, their numbers would be popping out constantly, as you pointed out Cranky_Old_Batt. It's probably also a good assumption that since Finch designed the Machine, he knows how to make somebody invisible to it and I assume he made himself invisible to the Machine to start with and then erased Reese.