Person of Interest Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: Legacy (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Jan 17, 2012
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 1/19/12 episode "Legacy" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Sp3kkie

[2]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 7

Spoilers

Man, I'm getting more addicted with this show every week. At this point I'm starting to think I wouldn't mind to watch it even if an episode was 24 hours long. Great mix between action, drama and humor. Cause the humor isn't in "real" jokes but in the teasing between characters.

This weeks episode was great, I mean, nice case. And I really liked the lady, in my opinion she was hot, but not in usual way. Maybe beautiful is a better word. But that aside. The case give some suggestions/ has a connection to the situation Reese and Finch are in.

I liked it when the "kid" showed up and its the kid of the business partner of Finch. And even he didn't know anything about Finch accept that he was best friends with his father. For now I don't think he was the threat, but he was the victim, and he was killed by a car accident or so and Finch was with him. But who knows, cause this show is one big pile of questions. When the answer one, you get 10 back.

And thats how I like my show. Just the right combination of everything.

Sp3kkie

[3]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 7

Oh and the writers show us some respect and reality. Last week Reese was in the wheelchair and needed to recover. This week he was kind of recovered, however the gunshot wound still is a weak spot and thats how it should be. After all, even then he still kicks ass

protonefrid

[4]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 8

i liked this episode a lot but I found it a little weird how easily Carter got on board and decided to help them (maybe she just plays along to figure out who/what is exactly behind them so she can make up her mind afterwards?). Also i hoped her job would have been a little different but she's just another Fosco... maybe they don't trust her enough yet... by the way, the part with Fosco calling Resee to warn him about Carter acting funny was hilarious.

did anyone notice that Reese seems to smile more? even in the last episode he looked more relaxed and at ease... maybe he knows he is surrounded with people he can trust...

TylerA46

[5]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 11

protonefrid wrote:

Also i hoped her job would have been a little different but she's just another Fosco...

It seemed that way, but she got the bust, before the murder. Normally she gets the guy, after it.

blackmage8472

[6]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 15

protonefrid wrote:

i liked this episode a lot but I found it a little weird how easily Carter got on board and decided to help them (maybe she just plays along to figure out who/what is exactly behind them so she can make up her mind afterwards?). Also i hoped her job would have been a little different but she's just another Fosco... maybe they don't trust her enough yet... by the way, the part with Fosco calling Resee to warn him about Carter acting funny was hilarious.

did anyone notice that Reese seems to smile more? even in the last episode he looked more relaxed and at ease... maybe he knows he is surrounded with people he can trust...

I don't think it's that weird. Actually I think the timetable to make Carter an ally is what I expected, half a season. Carter's character has gone through an evolution that has been happening since before the time frame of the first episode. She sees the world in terms of what is just and what is not... however she's learning the hard way that not everyone has the same beliefs. I don't think Reese sees her as another Fusco but rather a real potential partner. Fusco's "loyalty" is based on a threat... Carter wants to help willingly.

Though it's funny you bring up trust. During the last episode I saw far more strain. The episode where Reese was shot, we saw to what lengths Finch would go to save him... but they both still don't completely trust each other. Finch compartmentalizes his life and Reese feels he has to know. I rather like this potential strain that could affect all 4 of them.

On another point entirely. One other thing about this episode, it really reinforced that question for me: "What do we know about Finch?" Think about it... we know he's a programming savant. He probably owned a large part of a company with Ingram (his dead partner). He is the only person who knows exactly how the machine works. Beyond that...well frankly we can only speculate. It's also looking more and more like Ingram didn't just die, but was killed.

ronwhitehouse

[7]Jan 20, 2012

Interesting plot development, introducing Nathan Ingram's naive son. He knows even less about what happened with his father than we the viewers do...which isn't much. If I may use my X-Men analogy again, this would mean that Will Ingram is Quicksilver/Pietro Maximoff, the son of Magneto. Which seems appropriate, because both characters begin as talented young men who are oblivious to their parent's true faces. But once they DO find out, the revelation absolutely rocks them to the core...and everybody else had better watch out! We'll see...

Well done episode overall, although I do agree that they're accelerating Carter's involvement a little too fast given the timetable we're given. It would be more believable to see her getting on board more gradually, and perhaps with the ulterior motive of discovering precisely where her new "friends" are getting their information. Despite Finch's insistence upon maintaining secrecy, I just can't see Carter blindly accepting her current position within their circle...at some point she's going to need answers. Maybe her Machine-hunt will cause her to cross paths with Will Ingram, who may be on a similar quest of his own. She'll start wearing a Scarlet Witch outfit, they'll recruit Fusco to be Toad or Blob or something, and form a Brotherhood against Professor Finch & the Reese-Men. Wait, what was I talking about again...?

Edited on 01/20/2012 5:44pm

AriSky

[8]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 36
    After last week's brilliant return and stunning characterization, I had trouble believing the interaction this week. Yes, I can see how Carter would come to the conclusion that working with them wouldn't be so bad. Yes, I agree that we know next to nothing about Finch and that that needs to change, but to have Reese turn around and stalk Finch/have Fusco follow him, especially after how seemingly close he and Finch acted last week, felt completely out of place to me.

I'm really big on the characters and yes, there's been bumps, but the progression has been relatively smooth overall. This feels forced - moving the plot along because the audience is wanting to know about Finch.

Beyond that, I absolutely loved this week's installment!

nemosnanny

[9]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 2

I thought it may have been a little off from last week's closeness, but remember the remark Reese made about Finch being the Machine? I think he was only half joking. I think he wants to explore the source; hence, his attempt to log in again on the system. The "Invalid Password" command certainly would have raised his hackles a bit. What I thought really odd were the remarks between the two of them about "taking the afternoon off" or "taking a half day." This might support Reese's suspicion of Finch since Finch has always insisted that the Machine never sleeps. If Finch can take an afternoon off without danger of missing a move by the Machine, in Reese's reasoning, might Finch not then be the Machine?

John666666666

[10]Jan 20, 2012
    • level: 16

First this was a really good, but not great episode. I had a problem with the so called Person of Interest story. It wasn't really interesting. Also I agree Carter just joining up with Finch and Reece doesn't really make sense, and the two men just trusting her also doesn't make sense seeing how secretive thetwo men, which leads me to what I like. If anyone truly believes that Reece fully trusts Finch then they are fools. Sure they may get a long and have playful banter between each other, but that doesn't mean Reece trust Finch. I get along with my fellow co workers and joke with them, but that doesn't mean I trust them, so people need to pull back and open their eyes. Finch is a man who built a machine, which he can most likely turn off and avoid and is very secretive of his past. Then there is Reece a who is ex-special forces and has trust issues of his own, so it's easy to see him getting Fusco to fallow Finch.

Edited on 01/20/2012 9:33pm

MindsFan

[11]Jan 21, 2012
    I remembered seeing the picture of Ingram and his son - in the previous episode's flashback it was on his desk. So, when Will showed up this week, I knew exactly who he was. They seem to give us clues ahead of time.

So, now, what does "IFT" - the company's name - stand for? Ingram-Finch Technologies maybe?? And, will Ingram's son, Will, figure this out?

ChancseR

[12]Jan 21, 2012

As I said before, so much awesomeness, too little time.

I enjoyed the character development of Finch and Reese this week by humanizing them a little more. Seeing Finch's interaction with Will, Ingram's son, Reese smiling/smirking more and the hug he and Andrea, the lawyer, exchanged was a warm, heartfelt one by body language standards.

Finch and Reese continue to have trust issues. Reese being denied access to the computer in the office. I think Reese having Finch followed was as much concern as curiosity.

Carter joining the ranks, not surprising. I think she will be Reese's conscious in minimizing the body count. When Reese promised Carter not to kill anyone he did try as he commented "so much for not dropping any bodies" after the guy met an untimely demise with the garbage truck.

Will, Ingram's son, mentioned being able to read his father's unauthorized biography, what secrets could it contain?

The sign of a terrific show, answer one question and create 10 more. The possibility of story lines expands with each week. Gotta love it!!!

Just_Jos

[13]Jan 21, 2012
    • level: 11

Solid episode. GREAT character development from all sides.

Edited on 01/21/2012 11:13am

ronwhitehouse

[14]Jan 21, 2012

I'm guessing that IFT stands for Ingram Future Technologies or some such thing...very doubtful that Finch's name would be attached in any way. It was Ingram's company, he was the futurist financeer who bankrolled the Machine project, while Finch was his trusted genius friend capable of doing the actual work. And now I'm trying to think back on whether or not it's been determined 100% that Finch is even his real name...John Reese isn't necessarily John Reese, remember. Harold seems to be accurate, according to his "nephew" Will. Anyways, in all of Ingram's dealings with the government he was the lone negotiator...Finch was passed off as an anonymous, behind-the-scenes employee.

MindsFan

[15]Jan 21, 2012
    ronwhitehouse-

Good points. We don't know Finch's real name (or Reese's). This show really makes you think. There is so much for us to wait to find out. I am definitely going to buy the DVD set as soon as it is available - it will be fun to sit down and watch the entire first season over a long weekend - and have all of the little clues come together at once.

MindsFan

[16]Jan 22, 2012
    Ok, I noticed something else. For those who think that there is some connection between Reese and Carter - run the opening sequence in slow motion. When Reese is shown, it says last contact 2004. When Carter is shown, it says Purple Heart 03/2004. Anyone think there is a 2004 connection between Reese and Carter??

ChancseR

[17]Jan 22, 2012
    The machine might have made a connection between the two but at no time did Reese ever acknowledge, or hint, previously knowing Carter.

gipper

[18]Jan 23, 2012
    • level: 1
    Could Nate be alive - and that is who finch is going to see at the end of the espiode?

MindsFan

[19]Jan 24, 2012
    Gipper, good question.

As ChancseR said above - answer one question and create 10 more.

This show rocks!!

27ladyinred

[20]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 1
    I think your right about Reese and Carter because i noticed something in episode 10 Number Crunch when Reese was shot by the CIA agent coming down the stairs Finch told him that Carter had sold him out and Reese said that they can get you to do things like that and then he said i wanted to thank her for giving me a second chance,which confused me at the time but then i thought maybe she recused him from something and doesn't recognise the face or maybe its something to do with episode 9 when she was interrigating the bomber and this stop Reese from getting killed we will see.This is my number 1 show