Person of Interest Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: No Good Deed (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]May 9, 2012
    • level: 101
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 5/10/12 episode "No Good Deed" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SteveMielke

[2]May 10, 2012
    • level: 1

Ok, WOW. Where to start with this one...talk about a game changer. I said in one of my previous posts that I thought Aliciastill hunting the machine and I was write. For someone that is supposed to be off the grid she managed to track Finch down pretty well. I'm curious to know what thecontingencyplan Nathan put in place particularly if Harold doesn't know about it...did Nathan tell Alisha about it? Also got me to thinking that if Finch's fiance was told he was killed in an "accident" is it possible that Jessica is still alive?

Edited on 05/10/2012 8:51pm

ohjeans

[3]May 10, 2012
    • level: 2
    I'm thinking maybe Alicia is hiding out same as Finch is. She may be afraid of Finch because she thinks, erroneously, that he is the one out to destroy anyone with knowledge of the machine.

ohjeans

[4]May 10, 2012

Ah, a sad, sad episode. Bittersweet to see that photo of Harold and his fiance in happier times. This is the closest Finch has ever let Reese get.

SteveMielke

[5]May 10, 2012

Hmm, it's an interesting point...up until the day before they shut the machine down, Alicia didn't know about Harold until Nathan let it slip that 8 people knew about the machine, she corrected him and told him only 7 people knew. I wonder what she thinks now that she knows he built it. If she's still working for the NSA (which she may be considering she has access to surveillance equipment is Harold next to go (if we follow the belief that the NSA/CIA killed Nathan)...

AriSky

[6]May 10, 2012
    • level: 36

SteveMieIke: Regarding the possibility that Jessica might still be alive, I honestly don't think so. They wouldn't have shown it in such detail in the previous episode had that been the case. Also, I'd go back and check the dates for when the Machine was sent off and when Ingram met with Alisha. I think it was sent in 2010 and the meeting took place in 2009, which means these events happened at least a year apart.

Ohjeans: I'm on board with the idea that she's afraid of Finch, especially with the scene of Nathan slipping up and saying 8 people know about the Machine. She's twitchy about the name, as we saw when Will met with her. I wouldn't doubt that whatever agency she works/ed for is letting her belief that the mysterious 8th person is the one coming after her.

Holy mother of Feebas. My brain can't figure out what to do with the contents of this episode. There were definitely some answers to be had, but in good form they only raised more questions. Nothing was resolved in this episode but they finally broke the PoI habit of setting the episode up to look like a case is one way and then it turns out it's the other. I was calling things left and right and either they'd be completely off or it would be right but for another character.

I'm supremely impressed with how everything's coming together. Absolutely cannot wait for the season finale next week - it's bound to be a doozy. I'm really hoping we get to see what happened with Finch and Ingram. Based on what was hinted at in this episode, I'm guessing that the other six found out that Ingram had included Finch in the know and when they tried to kill Finch, Ingram stepped in to save him. Counting the days~~

SteveMielke

[7]May 10, 2012

Arisky: Nathan gave Alicia the first number in 2005. Machine was turned off in 2009...and sent out the following day. My money is on Alicia's boss (Denton Weeks) was the one selling secrets to the Chinese resulting in Reese/Canton being sent to China to recover the "machine" he sold them. I also think he was the "government" guy with the black hood over his head that Reese/CantonneutralizedWhen the building blew up Canton had the machine figured out a way to reverse engineer it and study the code enough to infiltrate the machine as Root (would also explain why when Finch asks her name she says "she's had a few". I think Alicia and Canton are working together somehow.

For anyone who's interested someone out there has put a lot of work into a POI Timeline that can be found at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1361CvePfUizdACo-OKlKWXSCQUY_zFLJvmGzYdy7Kp4/edit?pli=1

Edited on 05/10/2012 10:52pm

blackmage8472

[8]May 11, 2012
    • level: 15

Great episode, a lot of great bombshells. In the back of my mind I think I've always been a little curious about what would the NSA do to control and protect the machine. I like how they've started to get into that and how it's starting to tie a lot of loose ends together. This episode felt a little darker than many of the others, I rather liked that.

SteveMielke wrote:

Hmm, it's an interesting point...up until the day before they shut the machine down, Alicia didn't know about Harold until Nathan let it slip that 8 people knew about the machine, she corrected him and told him only 7 people knew. I wonder what she thinks now that she knows he built it. If she's still working for the NSA (which she may be considering she has access to surveillance equipment is Harold next to go (if we follow the belief that the NSA/CIA killed Nathan)...

Alicia's becoming much more of a character and for that matter more of an enigma than I thought she'd be. I can only see 2 paths for the character: 1) After the NSA had the Machine she dropped off the grid after Ingram was killed (presumably by the NSA), the NSA never killed her because they felt she was no longer a threat. If they really wanted her dead they would have gotten to her considering how easy it was for Ingram's kid to get to her. 2) She's been NSA all along and after Ingram was killed she still suspected someone else knew about the Machine and waited. Only problem with theory number 2 is why risk the name "Sibilance" getting out? Wild guess says that's the name of the project of the Machine.

protonefrid

[9]May 11, 2012
    • level: 8

From how she looks like and how she behaves i say Alicia is hiding kind of just like Finch. Whatever agency has the machine probably decided 7 was a too big number and from the looks of it she wasn't important enough to remain in the loop. it's from the discussion at the table you can really feel how risky and delicate the whole situation was and in just how much trouble both Nathan and Alicia were (and they knew it perfectly well). Compared to that, Finch's obliviousness looked childish...i guess he was right, he never was good with people (and human character). What i did notice was Alicia's square/box which was yellow, that for me is a sign of allies. Furthermore, in the end, the square of the POI also turned yellow, which makes me curious as to how he will fit in the story in the future. (At first i thought that the yellow squares indicate the people that know about the machine but Reese had it even before meeting Finch, in the subway fight, in the first episode, so i settled for allies or future allies of the machine).

Loved Fusco in the interrogation room... listening to the POI i was going "OMG Carter will find out about the machine!!!!OMG! OMG!" and then it turned out it was Fusco and he didn't even take the guy seriously... what a let down and pure extraordinary luck. But Carter did get a morsel in the end with that tiny piece of paper and knowing her she won't let it go easily. Fortunately she is much more secretive and cautious than our last POI so she won't get on any assassin's 'to do' list... hopefully. what worries me was the way the two detectives were eying each other the whole episode (live two combatants before a fight). somehow it makes me uneasy, i have the feeling that when push comes to shove they'll turn on eachother real fast. Fusco wouldn't actually hurt Carter as he has already been warned by Reese but ruining her reputation or dirtying her might be just up his alley, and Carter has no problems putting Fusco behind bars given half a chance. i know that Reese thinks he is protecting both by keeping them in the dark but this can end up pretty messy. almost forgot about the Reese - Fusco conversation in the beginning of the episode... finally Fusco gets the upper hand for once... loved how he talked back to Reese, their relationship changes slowly but surely and... lol at the competitive hint and Reese's subtle bragging in the last conversation about who finds Finch's address faster.

And lets not forget about the girlfriend... damn, didn't see that coming at all. How could he not tell something so important to Nathan? I knew he was paranoid but he was so close to both and yet he kept them completely apart for 4 years. This doesn't make sense to me at all... i get it he's paranoid but to this extent? Anyway, only Finch would think about making an app to warn him if he gets close to his ex-fiancée.

Reese was badass as usual even if his charm failed him for once ("that nice young lady" looked quite scary). regardless, I'm starting to think that looking for Finch's secrets has become his favorite pastime, like his "white whale" or something.

portanapt4

[10]May 11, 2012
    When Reese and Stanton went to Ordos... the machine was ONLINE. How is that possible since it was stolen a few hours before? That means there are 2 machines. Ingram's back-door made the system vulnerable, someone accessed the source code... and the Chinese managed to decrypt it. The machine that was stolen in Ordos is a replica. In Alicia's mind everyone is a suspect (Weeks, the CIA, Harold...) That's why she's hiding from everyone.

ohjeans

[11]May 11, 2012

Is anyone else annoyed that all these white-collar boys on PoI look alike? I'm talking about these 3 interchangeable boys: Will, the investment banker, and this NSA analyst. Did someone tell CBS that this "type" was going to hook all the younger viewers?

ronwhitehouse

[12]May 11, 2012

The yellow box framing a character could still very well indicate a person who has knowledge of the Machine, protonefrid...at least according to the contagious, epidemic model we're now being given. John did indeed come into contact with this "disease" back in China, and could therefore be viewed as yellow by the time he resurfaced on a New York subway (although he certainly had no relevant knowledge of that Chinese machine's true function). Of course, it's also possible that Harold had control over turning John yellow after his failed POI mission to save Jessica...Finch became aware of the new "Reese" at the hospital, before eventually bailing him out of jail in the Pilot episode.

As for Alicia, I have to agree that she seems like a person in hiding. Maybe not literally (as mentioned, Will Ingram easily tracked her down), but she probably keeps her head low and lives off the grid. Paranoia and radio silence have helped keep her alive, and now that the pot's being stirred again she finds the need to dust off her spy-book and get back into the game. She's probably not worried about Finch so much as a direct, physical threat...more like horrified that this random, unknown guy might have his finger on the button...

And LOL, that interrogation room scene had to have been one of the funniest moments of this series. Peck totally spills the beans, ranting and raving about a machine so classified that knowledge of its very existence means death. Says Fusco, "Sooooo...you wanna soda or something?"

dc2257

[13]May 11, 2012

Did anyone else happen to notice the same bleached blond extra walking close by in two different scenes? (02:45 and 42:45)

Edited on 05/11/2012 8:01pm

nemosnanny

[14]May 12, 2012

Is no one doing the recap for this episode?

ohjeans

[15]May 12, 2012

dc2257 wrote:

Did anyone else happen to notice the same bleached blond extra walking close by in two different scenes? (02:45 and 42:45)

What are you thinking, another new mystery to worry us with? Yikes!

Also, the woman who played Finch's fiance-- is she Michael Emerson's wife?

LauraHerrera1

[16]May 12, 2012
    Yes, Finch's fiance is indeed Michael Emerson's wife. How cute is that!

phonzee101

[17]May 12, 2012
    • level: 13

This episode gives me so much to think about. Based on the promo for next weeks finale I think Alicia is going to ask Finch if Nathan had any other secrets besides him creating the machine.

TylerA46

[18]May 13, 2012
    • level: 11

portanapt4 wrote:
    When Reese and Stanton went to Ordos... the machine was ONLINE. How is that possible since it was stolen a few hours before? That means there are 2 machines. Ingram's back-door made the system vulnerable, someone accessed the source code... and the Chinese managed to decrypt it. The machine that was stolen in Ordos is a replica. In Alicia's mind everyone is a suspect (Weeks, the CIA, Harold...) That's why she's hiding from everyone.

What Ingram put in the Machine was that it would send the irrelevant numbers out. Nothing more.

protonefrid

[19]May 14, 2012
    TylerA46 wrote:

What Ingram put in the Machine was that it would send the irrelevant numbers out. Nothing more.

I'm not sure about that... when Finch was asked what will happen if he dies he said he has a 'contingency' in place, the same word used to name the new function Nathan introduced in the machine... sending irrelevant numbers doesn't relate to Finch's death... and they already receive numbers so this can't be called a contingency to use sometime in the future (in case Finch dies).

TylerA46

[20]May 14, 2012
    • level: 11

protonefrid wrote:
    TylerA46 wrote:

I'm not sure about that... when Finch was asked what will happen if he dies he said he has a 'contingency' in place, the same word used to name the new function Nathan introduced in the machine... sending irrelevant numbers doesn't relate to Finch's death... and they already receive numbers so this can't be called a contingency to use sometime in the future (in case Finch dies).

Finch didn't care about the irrelevant numbers, while Ingram kept pushing for it. So the last change, had to be it. Also Finch says something like "a good friend once showed me, that even with an intractable problem, one can still find a way to do the right thing", then they cut to Ingram altering the code. And the contingency is activated once either Ingram dies, or the Machine is stolen or some code is copied.... whatever.