Person of Interest Forums

Tuesday 10:00 PM on CBSIn Season

Why the big delays?

Dandeleo

[1]Mar 16, 2012
    • level: 15

Can anyone explain the American scheduling system that sees four or five episodes of shows like Person of Interest shown, then a few weeks gap, then another couple of episodes. Then a gap... then the season ends and then it starts, then there's some sort of hiatus period... I can't make sense of it. I just know I go to watch a new episode of my favourite shows and half the time they aren't on.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nordan123

[2]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 6

Dandeleo wrote:

Can anyone explain the American scheduling system that sees four or five episodes of shows like Person of Interest shown, then a few weeks gap, then another couple of episodes. Then a gap... then the season ends and then it starts, then there's some sort of hiatus period... I can't make sense of it. I just know I go to watch a new episode of my favourite shows and half the time they aren't on.

I agree with you.

I'm sure there can be many things causing the gaps...

1. It may be difficult to write new episodes and fit them with the ongoing arcs/backstories in a week,every week.

2. It's possible some of the actors have other engagements going on here and there.

3. It could be simply the network needing the airtime for something else,maybe live sports events or something.

4. Being a first season,maybe they just didn't want to put all their eggs in one basket,quite possible that the second season gets pushed more to the front of their schedule.

My 4 centavos Cool

thebowies

[3]Mar 22, 2012
    • level: 10

I can't explain it, but it seems like for the last 5 or 6 years our American networks have been doing this! One year during 'Lost', it was like 9 months between episodes!!! It seemed like ABC tried to kill 'Flash Forward' andthe new 'V' by having months and months hiatus, so of course the audience wasn't there when the eps finally came back on.

Same thing for NBC 'Persons Unknown' and 'The Event'... Undecided

anyhoo, that's my nickel...

sunshine_0805

[4]Mar 26, 2012
    • level: 1
    NCAA Freakin' BASKETBALL!! Major network carries POI, and then they prempt to show the #$%^& basketball that is already being shown at the same time on at least 2 other cable channels.... WTH????

Dec1964

[5]Dec 7, 2012
    • level: 31

Its happened alot more with season 2.

TVDi

[6]Dec 7, 2012
    • level: 4

Breaks are usual during the holiday seasons (all of them, not just Christmas) when people are presumably NOT watching TV. Why waste a new episode when no one is watching. Breaks also happen around major sporting events (Superbowl, basketball championships, etc.). More recently, breaks happen because producing the episodes takes longer and there are no new episodes ready to show.

The huge break during Lost happened because of the writers' strike.

Suncatcher1

[7]Dec 10, 2012
    • level: 5
    A lot of the "breaks" this Fall happened due to the Presidential debates. All of the national networks carried the debates. Since then, it's been sports and holiday specials.