Person of Interest

Masquerade

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Oct 18, 2012 on CBS

7.8
  • 2x03 - Masquerade

This was a brilliant episode simply because the characters all interacted in such great ways. The mystery behind the number was a little predictable which keeps me from giving it a perfect ten but the situation of Reese dealing with a spoiled girl and her learning to trust him redeemed it a lot. Yet what I loved most was seeing Reese's delight at having Finch back, Finch slowly getting to like Bear and how Fusco and Carter both expressed their concern and relief at having Finch back.

Another thing I really loved was how Finch's trauma over getting kidnapped by Root wasn't swept under a rug and forgotten. He's got some honest anxiety to deal with because Root certainly left emotional damage in her wake. But I really grinned over how Reese not only understood that but also was able to gently convince Finch not to wallow by getting him to leave the library for beer. And how Finch, whose already been shown once to panic at leaving, willingly risks going outside again but only because Reese is at one side of him, while Bear is at the other. Such a subtle expression of emotion -trust & friendship- which POI excels at.

All the humor in the episode was just bonus tasty icing on a delicious cake. Reese stealing those wallets to secure getting the job was brilliant, and nothing I've seen previously. Finch hiding from Reese that he's being to play with the dog was hilarious. Fusco preening at being called a stud. Carter busting in to rescue Reese and claiming she was bored. Reese complaining over the bad sportsmanship of being hit with a neon sign. All these great scenes practically reduced me to giggle fits.

Awesome episode with just the perfect blend of humor, action, characterization and building plot for the longer arcs.