Person of Interest

Mors Praematura

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Oct 29, 2013 on CBS

• Great to see Root again

Great to see Root again, I just can't see Shaw being so helpful to her.
  • Mors Praematura

The Root and Shaw scenes were fun, but this was not one of the stronger episodes overall. The story felt kind of thrown together and the intertwining did not work as well as they had hoped for.

Still, even an average episode of POI is great TV.
  • I love this show!!!!

Every week it seems that this show raises the bar beyond where I imagined it could go! I love the addition of Shaw and Root, though I would still prefer them as semi-regulars who make an occasional appearance, as is the case with Paige Turco as Zoe. Anytime Zoe makes an appearance it feels like an extra serving of dessert after a scrumptious meal.

But, having said that, I must confess that I absolutely love seeing Root! She's a and collected badass who enriches every scene she's in.

I'm also loving the plot with Carter and HR. (What does the "HR" stand for????). I sense a juicy season finale surrounding that story line.

I don't see Root being locked away in a book room for any indefinite period of time. If she can escape an asylum I don't imagine she'll be hampered by Finch's personal prison for any longer than it challenges the imaginations of the writers. She'll be back soon.

But, however it all plays out, I'll be tuning in every week with bated breath!
  • The plot thickens - multiply by three

Another breathtaking episode this week - PoI is really on a roll!

A lot of shows tend to stumble when they get too plot heavy and try to get "clever", but this episode was so smoothly woven together than I was just applauding the screen as we reached the crescendo at the end.

Loved the way the separate plots suddenly intersected, and the look on Shaw and Reese's faces when they spotted each other at the intersection? Priceless.

Just a few random thoughts here:

Finch may or may not be going against the Machine's wishes, but he's also the only one who legitimately CAN. It's his teenage child, growing into itself but still not quite adult yet, and while she may yet throw a tantrum at him, there's no denying that she LOVES him and wants to protect him. The respect she/it feels for him is shown in the way that he just gets a number, and figures out the rest for himself, while Root - the "disciple" - has a tendency to go off the rails and needs (at the moment) strict guidelines and a fairly tight leash.

If the Machine is becoming God, then Finch is the father of God, and that's both impressive and scary.

The third category of numbers is self-preservation, and the big threat will probably be the Vigilance-group, who will no doubt to ANYTHING to destroy the Machine if they learn of its existence. They'll probably flag on all three of the lists at different times, if they continue on their path - killing individuals, check - threatening the Machine, check, and if they really start gunning for government surveillance-stuff, they'll soon hit the "relevant" numbers too.

I'm waiting for Carter-and-Elias' plot to either get their own episode, or get involved in the main plot soon.

It's heading for a big showdown between HR and the Russians, with Carter caught squarely in the middle - she's involved with Elias, she has a vendetta against HR, and there's no way this won't blow up in a SPECTACULAR fashion.

Also, I really like the idea of her "turning" Laskey - perhaps it was only a single admission because she's got him by the short-and-curlies and he was so shaken - but perhaps he'll end up like a sort of Fusco a once-dirty cop trying to do better? It'd be a nice little story if he did, right?
  • The Machine Takes Charge

For once, Harold's and Root's goals align. Still they take their own paths. Vigilance, a rouge government attached cabal, is revealed. Whatever the endgame of Vigilance really is The Machine will work to it's own end is clear. Yet, Vigilance survives to surface? One can't help but be intrigued.

This was a consummate episode as it blended so many nefarious elements: HR, The Machine, Root, and a number of the week with ties to a new threat going by the name of "Vigilance". Vigilance is particularly black as being within the government's already black ops. Can the stew get any richer?

It all comes to a mass when Harold, who now holds Root prisoner, asks her the question: "how can you be sure that you are exactly where The Machine wants you to be"? One must think that both, Harold and Root, are under The Machine's command.
  • awesome

My god what an awesome episode...

first time in the history of POI, the machine sends 2 teams to do the same job, which was extremely well executed by POI.

And finch`s last line to Root - "maybe the machine expects you to be exactly where you are",... damn that just nailed it.

This is the reason why I love the show.
  • Choice of Pronoun

I'm a little disappointed in Finch for his reactions to Root at the end (since they wouldn't have had the happy ending they did without her), but at the same time, it falls correctly with his character. It was nice seeing the two teams work and then finally come together, though now that they've used that, it will be very difficult to repeat it in the future without the tactic growing stale. I get the feeling Laskey's being primed to replace Fusco, as Kevin's not been around much lately and we're seeing the rookie go through many of the same motions. It's a shame, really, but this was an incredible episode.
  • An extra character

We've come to cherish The Machine a bit, as it developped some kind of personality in season two. But now, it's exploring its full strenght by making two teams work together without them knowing until the end. It's become quite a character that Machine.....
  • Loved it - beautifully written ep

This was a really great ep. I was so pleased, since last week's episode was also excellent. But as @TomWayne said, this episode was like a chess play.

WARNING: POSSIBLE SPOILERS

I do question Harold's decision about Root, since she isn't dangerous to innocents when the Machine talks to her since she just does what it/she tells her to. She trusts the Machine completely as we saw in this ep.

Loved Root and Shaw together. There was aggression (mostly from Shaw since Root was more bemused) and the characters have a lot of chemistry together. I don't think that will go anywhere, but I also don't think it wasn't there or was unintentional.

I didn't quite understand the Lasky-Russian-HR connection. I hope someone else on here will explain. Loved Mr. Sloan - it was interesting that he was so into the investigation and so not a "civilian" that he didn't ask any of the usual questions about who John and Harold were or why they were helping him.

@TomWayne I think that the team gained two assets in this episode, Tim Sloan and Jason, his brother. The Machine saved Jason for a reason and he's capable of doing a lot with his hacker skills, even in hiding.

Like how they've set up Vigilance and Collier. Worthy adversaries. Should we root for the Machine and the surveillance state or should we side with Vigilance and try to tear it down at any cost?
  • "Left, right, left, right, 123"

The Machine is now making up its own contingencies ... like the one in my review title. When even it doesn't know the info, it knows how to create situations to circumvent the potential liability.

And it apparently likes chess, like its creator (Finch), given that the way to win at chess is moving pieces in combination. (Reese just sticks with checkers, as we know from Season

Not wanting to spoil things by sharing too much, as it's really a well-crafted episode that starts out seemingly all over the place, but (like the Machine processing seemingly random data), it gets woven together so tightly that you'd swear we were in late April instead of 6 weeks from the midseason finale.

Some priceless moments to look for include ...

- Reese gets to be more like Superman instead of Batman in one scene.

- Root enjoys eating an apple.

- Some yellow squares are more solid than others.

- Carter should've quoted Bruce Willis's line from Die Hard: "You should be on (expletive) TV with that accent. "

- Shaw's "got milk. "

- Bear is smarter than the average human (or even a genius one).

- POI's writers and Elementary's writers should get together and start a cryptic code club--especially one that uses blacklights

- Finch & Reese Inc. gain at least two new assets--a second one on a leash (of sorts), and one who, like Shaw, Carter/Fusco, and Leon, can go where Reese and especially Finch won't--except it's not the ladies room, precinct, or high-security casino table, it's into gross messy nastiness.

• Awesome