Person of Interest

Pilot

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Sep 22, 2011 on CBS

• How many cliches can we fit into 40 minutes?

A lot more than I thought it was even possible, that's for sure. They couldn't go 30 seconds without another cliche. The bad guys act like bad guys. They say it's a shame they have to kill the kid. They conveniently spell out their plans right before attempting to do them ("I'm gonna shoot you and, like, I'll make it look like ya shot yourselfs ok"). They even laugh uncomfortably loud and long when the good guy says he's going to out-action them. Bad guys.

Then you have the prototypical smug, mumbling, good-at-everything good guy. He can like block punches while he's sleeping, and he carries around hidden explosives for that time he might get locked up in a car. He can also disarm a room full of gunmen and tell them they'll be hit in the face by a shell casing. He's so good, everyone must ask, "who is that guy?!" whenever he's been in their presence. Oh and he has nothing to lose and stuff.

I could go on and on. The only cool things about this show are Michael Emerson and those swooshy Serial Experiments Lain type cuts they do.

It's really disappointing overall. I didn't have high hopes, to be honest, but Mr. Abrams usually gives us something at least a little watchable. Ah well, it should appeal to the brainless action crowd.