Person of Interest

Relevance

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Feb 21, 2013 on CBS

• On the other side of the mirror

We stepped off the rainbow bridge, took the red pill, fell down the rabbit hole and got to see the world on the other side of the mirror in this truly impressive episode of PoI.

It didn't take us long to realize that we were watching an alternate version of Reese and Finch go about their business - which meant that instead of Happy Hacker and Competent Kickass Saves the Bunnies, we got to see the hired assassin and plucky Wizkid sidekick doing the governments dirty work by killing lots of people.

Very competently. With extra awesome added.

This episode was fascinating in so many ways.

I really enjoyed seing Reese's female counterpart portrayed as so ridiculously competent and badass, you don't get many female action heroes like that.

I know some have remaked that she was a bit grim and pokerfaced, but that actually made a lot of sense:

In some ways, she's the anti-Reese, in other ways, she's his mirror image.

Reese went from soldier to special ops to do-good vigilante - after a dip, he's on a rising curve.

Shaw went from medical studies to Marines to government assassin - morally speaking, I'd say she's on a downward slide.

When we first met Reese, he wasn't all that prone to smiling either, spending his days in a bottle of booze, rocking the homeless look. Now, with the help of Finch and his newfound hero-status, his quirky smiles and quirkier sense of humour has resurfaced/been born.

The closest thing Shaw came to that sort of "softening" was at the hand of HER hacker, who - according to her - was the only person she actually LIKED.

Do you think Reese would have been happy and chipper and ready to crack a smile or a joke if Finch took a bullet for him?

Didn't think so.

I DREAM of Team Finch/Reese and Team Shaw hooking up for some more cooperative efforts later on, although I foresee some friction over the level of violence they emply in response to external threats - Reese tends to start at the knees and work his way up as neccessary; Shaw is a shoot-to-kill kind of girl, no doubt about it!

All in all, GREAT episode, VERY solid guest star (loved her in Life too), and probably one of my favourite episodes so far.

(Only drawback is some confusion (for me) about the whole Machine-plot - did the Machine give her the number of an innocent man, did the Machine have him executed to protect itself, or did the "bad guys" tamper with the numbers? That wasn't exactly clear - but then, maybe that was the point?)