Person of Interest

Relevance

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Feb 21, 2013 on CBS

• Great episode of TV, average episode of POI.

As a single episode of television, this was pretty kick-ass. Complex, action-packed, plenty of twists and multiple parties all converging, guns blazing, including a spectrum of our favourite recurring characters from Root to Leon to Carter and the ubiquitous Fusco.

As an episode of POI, it was a little disappointing. One of the things I like about POI is that is has a great balance of male and female characters, and not in traditional roles. Plenty of the damsels in distress are not actually damsels, and some of the most powerful characters are women; not least Root, the arch-nemesis, and Carter, who can hold her own in a corrupt, male-dominated department without the blink of an eye.

This ep was a blatant attempt to introduce a younger female character - with kick-ass skills - in the style of Sydney Bristow, but less interesting because she's a self-confessed sociopath, incapable of empathy. She's a one-dimensional, hard-drinking, fast-shooting character with bland Hollywood good looks (I feel like I've seen her in stuff before, but I don't know what) and an interest in sadomasochism, as comfortable in stilettos as she is in boots and a leather jacket. It's a weary trope, and one designed to appeal to teenage fanboys, not thinking men and female fans. While I was thrilled about the introduction of the "relevant" list plot, this show really didn't need a Sam. It already has a Carter, a character with an appropriate balance of warmth and zest, power and vulnerability, and Zoe, who knows her place as a recurring character. I was pleased when Kara was erased for similar reasons - she was bland and b*tchy and sexy; a stereotype.

As others have said, Reese knocks out dozens of trained assassins every week, and nobody complains: nobody complains because Reese is vulnerable and interesting. We know he's morally good, we know he's human, we know he's recovering from heartbreak and we know he has a longing for stability and redemption. Nobody complains because Reese is an exceptional character - there's supposed to be no one else like him (except maybe Zoe, who, again, knows her place as a background character and occasional colleague).

We don't need a female Reese. Reese and Finch are both emotionally textured characters, and their brotherly attachment is central to the work they both do. I'm not thrilled about that complex relationship being sidelined in this episode in favour of an expressionless, unsympathetic stereotype, and I sincerely hope in the future that Sam is only a recurring character and not another member of the team. I only just got used to Bear.