Person of Interest

'Til Death

Aired Tuesday 10:00 PM Nov 29, 2012 on CBS

• A fun episode

One thing I adore about POI is that I never have ANY idea what I'm in for until the episode ends. Will it be dark and serious, with looming threats from mysterious agents who have Our Heroes in their sights? Will it be a fairly normal procedural with some good fight scenes? Maybe it'll be a mystery that keeps you guessing who's doing what to whom and why until the very end. Or, like tonight, maybe it'll just be a lot of fun and a nice way to spend some times with our friends? The show has so many faces that it always feels fresh, but with Our Heroes giving it a solid, familiar footing.

Tonight's outing was a lot of fun. I kept making my poor husband - who's taste I am questioning because he doesn't like this show - come in to see the funny bits (and then the fight scene just to give him something I thought he'd appreciate the craftsmanship of) because it was too good NOT to share with someone. Finch and Grace were adorable - wouldn't it be great if someone really COULD get a priceless piece of artwork into a local museum JUST for you? And I thought Fusco and his date were nice, too. It's good to see the "not-here-as-eye-candy" characters getting some love, too. Even Carter's prospect looks promising - and I like that Reese kind of talked her into thinking about dating again (even if he didn't know she'd be taking up his advice quite that quickly!) All of that made the main couple an afterthought, which isn't really a complaint. Their story was more like the background details on a painting that looks nice and gives you a setting for the main image, but aren't terribly relevant to understanding the picture.

One thing I find fascinating about this show is Jim Caveziel's performance. Reese always talks in that semi-whisper, and rarely varies his facial expressions (which aren't complaints, either - they suit the character perfectly) and yet he does just enough with subtle looks and gestures to make it work in whichever mood that particular episode requires. It's not flashy acting - it's not likely to get him any awards - but it's GOOD acting, because he knows how to give Reese exactly what's needed for each scene.

All in all, a very nice evening with our rather chaotic friends :D