Petticoat Junction Forums

CBS (ended 1970)

A Cutting Edge Series

tvking1

[1]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 42
    Cutting edge? A rural comedy like Petticoat Junction? Yes, because it was perhaps the first to feature a woman raising children withouta father. Kate was a widowed mother raising three daughters. There had earlier been several series that featured widowed fathers (The Andy Griffith Show, The Rifleman, My Three Sons, in its last season The Real McCoys and many others) and single men raising children not their own (Bachelor Father, The Great Gildersleeve) but PJ was the first that I'm aware of to feature a widowed mother. Makes you want to see this rural comedy, one of the CBS shows with a tree in it that got cancelled in 1971, in a new light.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

biffbronson

[2]Sep 7, 2008
    • level: 15

Your comments are spot on. It really was "cutting edge" for its time, and further, the series acknowledged the times as it progressed.

I must mention though that Petticoat Junction was cancelled one year before CBS dropped the axe on Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, and Mayberry RFD. (In fact, Mike Minor, Charles Lane, and Lori Saunders all moved over to -- or guested on -- Beverly Hillbillies for its final season, after Petticoat had been cancelled.)

Edited on 09/07/2008 12:22pm

tvking1

[3]Nov 28, 2008
    You're right, I'd forgotten that it was cancelled a year earlier. It just wasn't the same without Kate. Bea Benaderet was a highly accomplished actress in film, television and radio long before PJ, and her death left a hole that just couldn't be filled.

JoanOgden

[5]Mar 9, 2011
    • level: 2
    Don't forget the Big Valley single mom who was rasing her husband kid as well

tvking1

[6]Sep 5, 2011

Yes, but The Big Valley made its debut in 1965, two years after Petticoat Junction.