Petticoat Junction Forums

CBS (ended 1970)

Sam and Kate

BCzar

[1]Feb 28, 2006
    • level: 4
    I remember an episode where an old boyfriend of Kate's came to Hooterville and she kept talking about him around Sam. Suddenly, Sam finally snapped and professed his feelings for Kate. However, I didn't see all of this episode and I don't think they ever mentioned Kate and Sam as a couple any more. Does anyone know if they continued in a romantic relationship?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jmartin7112000

[2]Apr 15, 2006
    • level: 13
    The first two black-and-white seasons of "Petticoat Junction" have never been shown in syndication. I have seen the first episode and it really sets up the general mood of the show. Sam Drucker and Kate Bradley, I believe, knew each other their whole lives, or at least a great part of their lives. Kate was most certainly a native of Hooterville. Her grandfather built the "Shady Rest Hotel". Sam and Kate were dear friends and fellow business people for many years and they knew each other and respected each other in a big way in the small community of Hooterville.

I remember the episode in question. Sam did confess feelings for Kate when he thought their relationship might change significantly but that was for the one episode only. It was a rare kind of scene and it was treated with great tact and humor. They were never more to each other than as they had always been portrayed on the show.

John Martin, 44
    Edited on 04/15/2006 3:18am
    Edited 3 total times.

Boot_Hill

[3]Jun 10, 2006
    • level: 11
    That's a shame about the first two seasons. I love black & white.

jmartin7112000

[4]Jun 30, 2006
    • level: 13

The first season of "Petticoat Junction" is available on DVD. It is a treasure to me because when I was a kid, I watched the show in it's first run for the last seasons and at the same time I watched from (what I thought was) the first season in 1965 through the last episode in syndicated reruns over and over again. After many years I learned that the show actually began earlier than that. The first season is precious to me because of all the "new" yet older episodes to compare with the greater part of the the later seasons which I know well.

I can't wait for the second season to be released on DVD.

John, 44, Fort Worth 

Edited on 06/30/2006 2:07am
    Edited 2 total times.

marysuperfly

[5]Dec 14, 2006
    • level: 6
    I fell in love with the show when I was about 16 and TV Land starting airing it.  I never seem to catch it now, so I am assuming that it is no longer being aired.  It is such a great show!

FredScuttle

[6]Dec 17, 2006
    • level: 43
    I don't know about cable, but it does air on a few local TV stations. Until a month or two ago, it was airing daily on WWME-23 in Chicago (a channel that shows classic TV shows and commercials, similar to what TV Land used to be...except this one has no popup ads, no shrunken credits, no logo bugs, etc during the shows.). It airs at 2:30pm weekdays on WMYS-69 in South Bend IN. Another classic TV station (owned by the same company as WWME), but it's a My Network TV affliiate, so in prime time, they air MyNetwork shows. That's where I've been getting all the info to add to the program guide, from those two channels Now if  they'd air the first two B&W seasons, I'd really be happy.
    Edited on 12/27/2006 10:56am

BCzar

[7]Apr 19, 2007

Sadly now, WWME has added their logo in the corner like any other network! Fortunately, they still let closing credits play without any tinkering to them or announcements over music.

FredScuttle

[8]Apr 20, 2007
    BCzar wrote:

Sadly now, WWME has added their logo in the corner like any other network! Fortunately, they still let closing credits play without any tinkering to them or announcements over music.

Yeah, I noticed that a few weeks ago That WMYS-69 sister station recently started using their "My Network 69" bug on the corner too. Although they started it a few weeks before WWME did.

tvking1

[9]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 42
    What are the special features on the first season DVD release? To me, they are a must, and are a major reason why I purchased a DVD player in the first place. I hope they have background info, and maybe original commercials. That's what I like about the I Love Lucy DVDs.

FredScuttle

[10]Aug 23, 2007
    It's actually only the first 20 episodes of season 1 (minus the Christmas episode, which is on a Christmas release disc, with Beverly Hillbillies). Each episode has a couple minute introduction by Linda KayeHenning, where she tells memories of filming the episode, or some tidbits about characters/actors on that episode. Also, a documentary on the History of Hooterville (also has a little bit of Green Acres info on it), original sponsor commercials with the cast, network promo, cast interviews and "special footage"...not sure what falls under that It's a pretty good disc, the History of Hooterville has interviews with many of the cast, including Linda Kaye Henning, Lori Saunders, Gunilla Hutton, Frank Cady, Charles Lane (who just recently passed away at the age of 102!) and Shirley Mitchell (Cousin Mae), and some footage of an interview with Paul Henning. Also a plus, this one has theoriginal theme song. Those 3 and 4 episode sets you can buy at various places have the original theme replaced with some generic banjo music.

tvking1

[11]Aug 23, 2007
    • level: 42
    Thank you, Fred. It sounds interesting. I can't afford to purchase every DVD set that catches my interest, of course, but I'll keep this one in mind, especially because of the special features.

FredScuttle

[12]Aug 17, 2008
    Good news! Apparently they are going to release the first season on DVD mid-December, according to this post: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Petticoat-Junction-Season-1/10312 I hate to "double buy" shows, since I already have the first 20 episodes, but it'll be nice to get the rest of the first season episodes, and hopefully they'll continue with season 2. Neither of those seasons have been on TV, as far as I know, since they first aired.
    Edited on 08/17/2008 10:45pm

BCzar

[13]Oct 23, 2011

I remember watching the show when I was a kid back in the Sixties. Since we had a B&W TV at the time, I wouldn't have known about color or B&W episodes. I didn't even learn there were B&W eps until the Nineties when I saw an ad for the DVD and the pics were in B&W. It seems as if Me-TV has expanded their network as I see some shows' times listed in Central and Pacific times.

Cee618

[14]Jul 15, 2012
    • level: 1

I remember watching Petticoat Junction as a kid. I loved it back then and I love it even more now! Last December I was in the hospital with pneumonia and was channel surfing very early one day after being awakened by my nurse's morning rounds. I was thrilled to come across a new station, Me-TV, which was airing an episode of Petticoat Junction! It was like seeing old friends again! Since then, I have never missed an early morning rerun of PJ on Me-TV. I am so fond of this show. Bea Benaderet as Kate Bradley was such a warm, comforting character. Someone you'd love to sit and have a cup of coffee and a slice of pie with while catching up on all the town news. Bea was a class act all the way. Uncle Joe was so funny; I often laugh out loud at his harebrained schemes and jovial antics! What a jolly old fellow, indeed! And the lovely Bradley daughters, all so pretty and ladylike. They dressed modestly and beautifully, not like many of the girls of today who, sadly, seem to be dressing for a call-girl convention. And good ol' Sam Drucker, Charley, and Floyd. Such lovable guys! I always wished that Sam and Kate could've had a romance. They made such a cute couple and I always thought there was a bit of a spark between them...surely on Sam's part, anyway. Even the Shady Rest Hotel was a character in its own way. A gorgeous hotel filled with old-fashioned charm and grace. A homey place where you could relax, eat good food, hear nostalgic music, and visit with wonderful down-home folks. Who wouldn't want to stay there?! Especially since you'd have to ride the Cannonball train to get there! What fun that would be! Petticoat Junction touches a deep place in my heart because I long for those days of simplicity and innocence, when the world seemed like a kinder, gentler place. Perhaps I'm just longing for my childhood, but either way, I will always love Petticoat Junction, the Cannonball train, and all the wonderful characters of Hooterville!