Petticoat Junction

CBS (ended 1970)

FredScuttle

Petticoat Junction Fan Reviews (12)

• A Classic TV Sitcome of the 1960's.

I watched this show when I was a child. I remember Sam Drucker\\\'s General store (who can forget the Voluteer Fire Department Band)in Hooterville, the Cannanball, and the family singing around the piano. Kate Bradley had her hands full, with running a little hotel called the Shady Rest. The easiest way to get to the hotel, was on a small train called the Cannonball. The Shady Rest was between the towns of Hooterville and Pixley. Kate was the mother of three girls (Billie Joe, Bobby Joe and Betty Joe). Then there was their Uncle Joe Carson. He was a man with many dreams, but little skill to help around the hotel. I would like to see this show come back into syndication, and release more dvd\\\'s.
  • Petticoat Junction was one of the "rural" shows of the 60s,about life in a small town hotel,and featuring the manager Kate,her daughters,and Joe Carson,the lazy uncle always trying to get out of work.It harkens back to a simpler time.

Back in the 60s,CBS had 3 rural shows from the same creator,The Beverley Hillbillies,Green Acres,and Petticoat Junction.I always liked Petticoat Junction the best,because it seemed to be the most down to earth.The Hillbillies seemed to deal too much with broad stereotypes,and Green Acres was just too wierd.(Today,revisionists will tell you that it is off the wall and brillant,but I still think its just wierd)On Petticoat Junction,the stereotypes arent as broad,and while Uncle Joe couldve been just a stereotype,I thought Edgar Buchanan was brillant at making the character lovable.Of course,theres Bea Beneredet,whom Paul Henning actually built the show around.Beneredet was a veteran of many radio shows and voice overs,and of course,Burns and Allen,but here she really gets to shine.In fact,she was so important,after she passed away, the series lost something.Nothing against June Lockhart,but it just wasnt the same show.As far as potraying small town life,only Andy Griffith did a better job at showing it in such a charming way.I can understand why CBS cancelled it when it did.Can you see this show on the same night as All in the Family,or MASH?But looking back,with all the edginess and one-liners in sit-coms,I kind of miss the simplicity of this show.At least its still around in reruns.
  • A Family Show For All Ages

Watching early episodes of Petticoat Junction now after 40 years have passed it's hard to imagine that Hollywood actually produced a sweet, homey program like that. What's more, the show had a Nielsen, (comparable) rating of over 30...to put in perspective Seinfeld only garnered an 18 in their best season. We still laugh at the gentle humor and enjoy everything about the show. Being from West Virginia I grew up with people exactly like Uncle Joe, Kate, Charlie and Floyd, and Sam Drucker. The scenery and even the railroad and hotel had identical counterparts in our area of the country. I encourage all youngsters to watch shows like Petticoat Junction because, though campy, they do give a glimpse of our recent past. This generation doesn't know what it's like to hear a steam whistle moan on a clear night from a freight train on a crossing. Many don't know how it is to grow up with loyal friends who stop by anytime for a meal or chat. So watch Petticoat Junction and enjoy seeing our country as it once was; free from government regulation, fascist politicians and secret police watching our every move. "Forget about your cares, it is time to relax at the Junction!"
  • Come ride a little train that is rolling down the tracks to the junction, Petticoat Junction!"

This show was somewhat corny but cute. It caught my attention and I had to watch it. My favourite season was the last one where Betty Jo and Steve got together and had Cathy Jo. There were so many cast change overs it was hard to keep up with them. Uncle Joe was always played by Edgar J. Buchanan. The late great Bea Benedaret played "Kate," who ran the hotel. The daughters were "Billie Jo," "Bobbie Jo" and "Betty Jo." They had a pet dog on the show, do you remember the name of the pet? They named the dog, "Dog." How silly! Of course there was also "Sam" who ran the store and post office. We must also make mention of the Hooterville Express, the train. A lot of the story was told in and about the train. Yes, I guess you can call it a hillbilly story, they were friends with the gang from Green Acres probably Beverly Hillbillies too.
  • Television fun for the whole family.

What is it about these older television shows that has got me so captivated? Maybe it is because they are wholesome, but also funny and well-written.

I love both Petticoat Junction and Green Acres, which I sort of consider a brother/sister type group of series. It is always fun to see the characters go from one show to the next, and to see life from two sides of Hooterville. What is most amazing is that this link does not hurt the show in any way, as it might with other series. Instead, it builds the setting and background, making it even more enjoyable.
  • "Petticoat Junction" - a folksy slice of Americana

"Petticoat Junction" was in a category all its own, possessing a folksy charm - particularly in the first couple of seasons - which aimed not for big laughs or broad humor, but which mirrored small-town and rural values, recognizable characters, and quaint situations. Bea Benaderet, long-time radio and television character player popular on numerous vintage shows, stepped into the starring role of "Kate Bradley," a widow whose grandfather had stubbornly built a small inn situated off the beaten path - and accessible only by a delightfully antiquated train. Smiley Burnette, voted by exhibitors as one of the biggest money-makers at the box office in "B" movies made between the mid-1930s and early 1950s, brought enormous charm to the role of the jovial railroad engineer who is "like a father" to Kate's youngest daughter, Betty Jo (Linda Kaye Henning). Edgar Buchanan, Rufe Davis, Frank Cady, and other solid performers who specialized in doing rural American characters gave the program an air of authenticity. Some early episodes, written by producer Paul Henning and with input from radio legend Don Quinn, are exceptionally charming to view today. While the writing of others was not always of such high caliber, the program - produced on a modest budget - invariably presented a view of rural life which was nostalgic and humorous, in which certain contemporary conditions co-existed with long-outmoded traces of a bygone era. Conflicts arose through the appearances of the comic villain, Homer Bedloe (Chatles Lane), misunderstandings developing between the other lead characters, and the awkward "get-rich-quick" schemes of Kate's grumbling Uncle Joe (Edgar Buchanan). There were other programs set in rural areas or small towns, or featuring characters from such places - until the networks suddenly canceled every series in which the sun shone - but "Petticoat Junction" was unique in its approach: that of presenting characters and situations which were quaint, gently amusing, neither farcical nor serious, and wishing only to share with viewers vignettes of small-town life which reflected a world largely gone by the early 1960s. Such a concept cannot be dated, and the programs are as pleasant to view today as they were at the time of their original popularity on the CBS network.
  • An amusing, classic television show whose ambeince is highly missed in these days of television.

Don't get me wrong- I have nothing against television these days, in fact I love it- yet there is something to be said about Petticoat Junction and such shows of the past. Petticat Junction is- in my mind at least- a great example of the original shows. Infused with great characters, humorous plot lines and lots of laughs, Petticoat Junction is not only funny back then but also today. The characters- particularly Kate's girls were so steryotyped it was funny. There was Billie Jo the total flirt, Bobby Jo the bookworm, and Betty Jo the jock. However, I think the most humorous character in the show was Uncle Jo- after who the girls are all named. A great show, it was ended far too soon after its decline that resulted from the untimely death of Bea (the actress who played Kate). All together one of my favorite older shows, Petticoat Junction is definitley worth picking up an old dvd set.
  • Wholesome Family Comedy

Petticoat Junction is one of America's best family sitcoms. You really want to get to know each character and know what make them tick. These characters are down to earth people that are a testament to the old days of the 60’s. Some may think it "corny"; this show struck a chord with the viewer population. It was it’s wholesome charm and down home flavor that kept it going through some of the busiest cast changes to the death of one of the key players. Petticoat Junction was an enjoyable little show about Kate Bradley, who ran a nice country with her three beautiful daughters and her lazy but lovable Uncle Joe. Sadly, Petticoat Junction lost its way when Bea Benaderet died of cancer. Her character of Kate Bradley was just sent on a trip. It was the same for Charlie who ran the Cannonball. There was no death, no war, or problems on TV back in the early 60’s.
  • Classic wholesome tv!

Show was a great example of classic wholesome tv at
    Its best as all of the rural shows as it
    Is about a hotel owner and their families. Very funny and
    Very clean not to mention most of all. Without the nudity
    And the four letter words! A show the whole entire family
    Could watch. Wished that there were more shows like that!
  • The show was classic back in the sixties when they had all those good wholesome type shows. The Beverly Hillbilies led to several spin offs including this one, and it's a great one.

Okay I started being a fan of this show a bunch of years back when it started being shown on tv land. Of course it just struck somthing inside and I found myself charmed completely. There was just somthing about the innocence of the show that kept me back for more and more. It stinks the show was cancelled, I would have loved to have seen the "Jo" girls all grow up more.
  • This show was a true slice of Americana when TV was clean and viewer friendly.

I'll give it an 8.4 out of 10. Petticoat Junction was never uproariously funny, but it was a nice place to visit. Kate Bradley gets my vote as the best TV mom ever for her unmistakeable warmth. (You can't fake that!) It remained a popular program despipte cast changes (three Billie Jo Bradleys and two Bobbi Jo Bradleys). It had a bit of everything. There was some romance, some tragedy, some intriguing characters, and some enduring figures. My favorite Bradley daughter was always Betty Jo, though Gunilla Hutton was probably the most stunningly attractive. (Anyone care to dispute that?) I'll continue to watch it on reruns.
  • good family fun

this show was never as funny as the beverly hillbillies or green acres, but it was a great show none the less. it had the same slapstick humor and same old scenarios played out on it as did the beverly hillbillies and green acres. it was and is still good family entertainment.