Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

TV Tokyo (ended 2009)

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom Fan Reviews (2)

• A really great anime that easily lives up to the original OVA.

The show follows two Japanese teenagers who have been brainwashed by a powwerful criminal organisation into becomming ruthless assassins. Both the main characters Ein and Zwei, are troubled by their blood stained existence, although for seemingly different reasons, and find solace only in each other.

I was a huge fan of the OVA that this series is based on and as such very excited when I found out we were getting a full series version. I have to say that I was not disappointed. The animation is great, the music just as fitting as I would have hoped and the voice talent is top quality. This has already become one of my favourites of the new season and I cannot wait for the plot to develop and to see more of the main characters interactions with each other. All in all this is a really fantastic show and an absolute must see.
  • Good if you enjoy violence and sex in the guise of an underground mafia syndicate's world. Expect loads of bathtime scenes in the anime.

Well, my first impression of the show was frankly not too good. It seemed to be just an ordinary psychotic shooting anime playing on viewers' erotic fantasies in the meantime. It does not even have nice-sounding songs or superpowers to play with.

However, as time wore on, I realise the plot is quite appealing. Betrayal abound, and you never know what is going to happen next. Although all the romances in the show are too criss-crossed and rapid for my liking (and vaguely resembling a harem), there is indeed more substance as the plot progresses, and character development as Reiji grows from an uncertain boy into a confident assassin.