Pioneers of Television

Game Shows

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Jan 23, 2008 on PBS

• The series wraps-up with an examination of game shows. This is probably the strongest installment.

The origins and changes in game shows from TV's earliest days to the present.

I like this entry the best of all, it seems to have more direction and focus, has detail, and doesn't leave out a lot of the genre like the Comedy and Variety episodes. Filled with a good synopsis of the early days, interviews with those that remember the original creation of the games, as well as an accurate but not over-long discussion of the quiz show scandals that are often more familiar to fans of early TV. I especially liked the trivia that struggling ABC's "The Newlywed Game" got a big leg up because Americans turned away from a broadcast of a speech by Secretary of Defenese Robert McNamara. It's nice to see Merv Griffin one last time and the program has a nice homage to Bill Cullen from his peers. Another interesting phenomenon that comes through in the interviews is how much the celebrities that participated really loved the games themselves.

So, although game shows are not among my favorite television productions, I think the script, interviews ,and one-hour format of "Pioneers of Television" was used to best effect here.
PBS