Pirate Master Forums

CBS (ended 2007)

Episode 14- Finale Discussion Thread

jww047

[1]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 16
    I am really sad that Ben won, I wanted Christa to win. I guess there is no reunion like in Survivor, so Pirate Master is now officially over.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheWinman

[2]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 2
    It does not bother me that Ben won. The reunion was sort of the ghost crew joining the boat and duscussin things before the last vote

geoffmaze

[3]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 5
    TO the first poster here: Obviously you're not alone wanting Christa to win. Seemed 95% of the Ghosts did to! I liked Ben, felt bad for him getting raked over the coals as he did. I thought he played a smart and good game. I also thought he definitely deserved to win after winning the 3-person challenge, then overcoming Christa's team (Jay) cheating on the final challenge rather than solving the clue. In any case I really liked how they did the Finale, giving one competitor the chance to earn their way in and the other via Ghost Pirate vote. Man is John a kook or what!? I thought there was more drama in the finale than a lot of Survivor finales and I liked that a number of people actually leave the game with some good money. Dont feel to bad for Christa she walked with about $80K! Jay had $105K according to him. In any case, I liked the show, sorry to see it didn't catch on. The lesson learned (Much like Treasure Hunters) is don't model a game show after a popular Hollywood movie, doesn't translate.

geoffmaze

[4]Aug 29, 2007
    Another thing, it really was cool how the Jay-Christa-Ben alliance held up at the end. I give them all, especially Jay and Christa kudos. They did end up with a strong Final 3, as terrible as it would have been, they (esp. Jay) would have been well served to have kept the ultimate PM floater Laurel in the game and cut Ben adrift...

jax_rerun

[5]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 12

Jay made a good point thaqt if he'd had cut ben adrift and kept Louie, he probably would have one that expediation. I knew he was making a mistake when he did that, bc Ben is physically fitter than him and not dumb on the clues (like Christa).

I thinkJay was robbed -- he should have had a chance to compete for the final gold. But overall, I'm happy Ben won over Christa, bc he was the superior competitor. Now he can go surf and perfect his Matthew McConaughey impersonation.

Katelome

[6]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 15

I love how they did the final court with the ghosts, but felt they (the ghosts) were wrong in who was the better pirate, Jay was an awesome pirate.It's too bad this show didn't make it, in alot of ways it is better than Survivor (which I love). Ah well, at least they let us finish out the episodes and see who won.

geoffmaze

[7]Aug 29, 2007

Pretty clear with the lack of postings (guess I'm posting about 1/2 of them!) not a lot of interest in the show, of course kicking it to Tuesday at 10PM and then quickly to webcasts doesn't help the viewship. As mentioned before I liked a lot of the things they did in the show, it did get better as it went but a closing remark on it, Too bad they NEVER had a MUTINY! Watching those for two weeks with Joe Dork as the captain it didn't make sense not to Mutiny, especially after they'd already gotten rid of that freako John!

jax_rerun

[8]Aug 29, 2007
    • level: 12
    geoffmaze wrote:

Pretty clear with the lack of postings (guess I'm posting about 1/2 of them!) not a lot of interest in the show, of course kicking it to Tuesday at 10PM and then quickly to webcasts doesn't help the viewship. As mentioned before I liked a lot of the things they did in the show, it did get better as it went but a closing remark on it, Too bad they NEVER had a MUTINY! Watching those for two weeks with Joe Dork as the captain it didn't make sense not to Mutiny, especially after they'd already gotten rid of that freako John!

I never watched it until they started showing it before Big Brother. But then they cancelled it a couple weeks later. Maybe if they had played it the whole time beofer or after an established reality tv show, they would have had better success. It was definitely an interesting show and I think the second season would have been quite a bit better.

geoffmaze

[9]Aug 30, 2007
    Jax_Rerun, I agree with you 100%! A few modifications in the format and it could have been a winner. Too bad as there will not be a season 2...

royboycrashfan

[10]Aug 30, 2007
    • level: 19
    It was definitely a show with potential, and if they changed the format a little, it could be just as successful as their other reality series.

etching

[11]Aug 31, 2007
    • level: 22
    I didn't watch any of the webcasts, so I don't know the process for determining the winner. The 13 castoffs voted for the Final Two finalists, and was the winner of the final challenge automatically the show winner, or did they vote again?

royboycrashfan

[12]Sep 1, 2007
    There was an expedition in the final three. The winner of that moved on to the final two, and the thirteen castoffs chose the other finalist. In the final expedition, each finalist recruited three ghost pirates to join their crew. The winner of that was considered the grand prize winner.

Synetech

[14]Sep 1, 2007
    geoffmaze wrote:
    TO the first poster here: Obviously you're not alone wanting Christa to win. Seemed 95% of the Ghosts did to!

92.3%.

If you count the whole ship, upto (but likely less than) 81.25% were pulling for her-if you count Christa.

Synetech

[15]Sep 2, 2007
    royboycrashfan wrote:
    It was definitely a show with potential, and if they changed the format a little, it could be just as successful as their other reality series.

I don't think it was destined to succeed.

Most of the successful reality shows are brainless ones: American Idol, Survivor, etc. You just watch them do basically nothing. Shows like Pirate Master and Treasure Hunters may be reality shows, but they have little in common with the others. These shows have more intelligent content, story, and involve the viewers more.

Those shows are like Deal or No Deal and Set For Life where there is nothing in it for the viewer but to watch the contestant do pointless things like pick random numbers-whoopdie frickin' doo; how entertaining. These shows are like Jeopardy, Price is Right, (basically most game shows since most involve at least a little skill), where the viewer can play along at home and challenge themselves.

If you take a look at the shows that have succeeded and the ones that have failed, you'll see that most of the ones that made it were brainless and most of the ones that failed were not. It's a (very) sad state of affairs, but it is how it is (well, at least in America ).
    Edited on 09/01/2007 11:12pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Synetech

[16]Sep 2, 2007
    Laurel hit an all-time whiny-loser high in this episode. She was always a downer, and now she showed herself to also be a sore-loser as well. Even worse, she revealed herself to be an immature child. Did you see the way she plugged her ears and went "la-la-la" like a three-year-old?

If I was Ben, I'd have made her walk the plank. If there wasn't a plank, I would have whittled one to make her walk it. Even better, I would have sailed to shark-infested waters first!

geoffmaze

[17]Sep 3, 2007
    Synetech-Spot on about Laurel, couldn't stand her the entire time, didn't really do anything other than act like a spoiled bum. Maybe she can buy a new van to live in with her winnings. You're also right that "intellectual" Reality shows just don't seem to make it, thought the best one of that genre was "The Mole", that was great especially S1&2, Celebrity Mole was not nearly as good but still a lot better than many of the "popular" REality shows...Oh well C'est La vie. R.I.P Pirate Master, you deserved a better fate

royboycrashfan

[18]Sep 3, 2007
    Synetech wrote:
    Most of the successful reality shows are brainless ones: American Idol, Survivor, etc.
    I wouldn't exactly call Survivor brainless, although it sure is heading in that direction.

Ayn_Ilial

[19]Sep 5, 2007
    • level: 20
    I have to give Jay some credit. He is one of the only people who hit the nail directly on the head - he is on a TV show, playing a role, trying to win money against other people. Of course he is going to play the game in the way it takes to win. I mean, when playing hide and seek, you don't stand out in the open and yell, "hey over here". No, you hid. And in Pirate Master, you act like a freakin pirate. Kudos to him for that. I loved his line about this being Pirate Master and not Princess Master.

Synetech

[20]Sep 10, 2007
    royboycrashfan wrote:
    Synetech wrote:
    Most of the successful reality shows are brainless ones: American Idol, Survivor, etc.
    I wouldn't exactly call Survivor brainless, although it sure is heading in that direction.

I meant brainless for the viewers; you just sit there and "veg-out" while watching.

Ayn_Ilial wrote:
    I have to give Jay some credit. He is one of the only people who hit the nail directly on the head - he is on a TV show, playing a role, trying to win money against other people. Of course he is going to play the game in the way it takes to win. I mean, when playing hide and seek, you don't stand out in the open and yell, "hey over here". No, you hid. And in Pirate Master, you act like a freakin pirate. Kudos to him for that. I loved his line about this being Pirate Master and not Princess Master.

Exactly. It's a game, not a job. That's why I hated Laurel for ragging on Azmyth for getting into character by using an accent. If she wants to be boring and normal, she should have stayed out in the real world. Where does she get off slagging him for immersing himself into the game?