Pirate Master

CBS (ended 2007)

Pirate Master Fan Reviews (33)

7.1
  • Why the show just didn't match up to other reality shows?

I did attempt to watch Pirate Master when it first came out, and I did watch the rest of the episodes on CBS.com in order to finish it out. Many people I know liked the show, and they wish CBS would've brought it back. But I don't agree.

Pirate Master was trying to incorporate many ideas of Survivor, and I don't feel copying a reality show is a good idea. For one, they had a guy on the show, Louie, that looked like a pirate and sort of reminds you of Rupert from Survivor. There were not that many characters that really impressed me either. The only one doing any type of strategy was Jay, while the rest of them seemed lined up and waiting for their turn to be cast off the ship.

The other thing that frustrated me was the power in the game. I don't think it was fair for the captain to have officers at the beginning of the game. I felt that gave way too much power to the captain, and it was what helped him keep his power. The fact that you could have the strongest people on your side for sure, and the rest were going to be put on the weaker, opposing team finding the treasure was an unfair match-up. Azymyth, Jay, and Ben were the strongest people left in the game, and they got rid of their biggest competition in Sean and Joe Don. After awhile, it just wasn't interesting. You thought to yourself, oh great, who will they take out this time?

The characters just didn't have a lot of interaction with each other. They were too isolated, and that was part of the problem with the captain and their officers. Plus, as I said above, nobody else was doing any strategizing. Sure Christa was captain for the last half of the game, but she was Jay's little puppet. And Ben, don't even get me started. All he did was ride coattails and put a smile on his face. If it wasn't for his happy-go-lucky attitude, he would have been cast away sooner. And power player Jay was ousted unfairly by those that had already been booted. That was a horrible part of the game.

The final problem I had was what I said up above: the people that were eliminated from the game had too much power even after they were eliminated! I mean, first they get to come back and try to overthrow the captain if they win the challenge, split the treasure, and nominate whomever they chose (which thanks to John was foiled cause he dropped the key), and they got to choose which two people would be in the final treasure hunt, thus taking their revenge on Jay for getting them voted out when he was the only one doing anything the entire game.

Unfortunately for the show, it just didn't catch on to the audience, and the ship sunk just as fast as it got built. A maiden voyage gone horribly wrong for a television show, I'm sorry to say.
  • Most awesome show I have ever seen!!! I am a huge Survivor fan but this beats that show by far!!! Even the theme music is better than Survivor's. Please bring it back!!!

Let's sign a petition to bring back one of the best shows I've seen on t.v. in a very long time!!! One that keeps us glued watching episode after episode. It was simply aired at the wrong time (during summer when everyone was out and about and on vacations, not watching t.v.). It would have gone over really good in between Survivors during the winter months when all the re-runs were on with nothing else to watch and when they were advertising the last Pirates of the Carribean out on dvd. First show where I liked almost all the characters and had a hard time rooting for just one. We need more PIRATE MASTER!!!
  • I'm editing my review to upgrade it - was better than I thought!

Admittedly, I originally only started watching this because Survivor was over and Big Brother hadn't begun yet…sort of filler for my reality TV addiction…but it didn't take long for me to add this one to my regular viewing list. Those people who are trying to review this as being 'another survivor' or 'unoriginal' are too busy trying to build bridges of similarity to see the unique aspects of this show. Like those shows in its genre (Survivor, Big Brother) Pirate Captain has a bunch of players trying to lie, compete, connive and contrive their way to being the last pirate/person standing at the end of the season…but I find the contests (puzzles with sabotages), the fact that they have to have a working ship with a dwindling crew to run it, get hands-on-gold rewards for success all worthy of watching. The voting-off mechanism is unique, the players are interesting people, and I find myself rooting for different players as the season continues. I also believe that the first season can be the roughest as you iron out the "kinks" in the game. Big Brother and Survivor both went through growing pains and who can expect this show to be any different. I am currently giving the show an 8.0, but I can see that number going up pretty easily as the creators adjust.

EDIT: Had to watch the finale on CBS.com, and it was worth it! They had twist and turns, plot changes, drama. In alot of way this show was better than Survivor, and I love that show! The competition at the end was so excruciating I was wincing for the contestants...very well done. Too bad it didn't get better reviews, cuz I'd watch the next season for certain.
  • It's fairly entertaining

The basic drift of the show is that every week the "pirates" land on a new island and have to seek treasure on the island. Then at the end of the show one of the pirates is voted off. To me, it seems that the show combines the better elements of Survivor and the show Treasure Hunters, which was a show on last summer. This is because it involves the tension you feel from the voting process and the sort of excited rush you get watching them compete for the treasure when it gets down to the wire. Overall this is a good show that would be wellworth your time to check out.
  • CBS BRING BACK THE SHOW SO IT CAN FINISH PLEASE!

I thought it was a good show sure it is not survior but it was good and different. I think they should of let the season end first before they cancelled it they did not give it a chance to see where it would end up, it is summer not everyone is inside watching tv so cbs needs to give it a chance to let it finish at least for the season. I love watching all the shows on cbs but when they keep cancelling shows it makes me mad just give the shows a chance let them finish the season for once.
  • An adventurous start to a show that has little potential to be the next big reality franchise.

6.4
    Capitalizing on the recent pop culture success of pirate adventures, such as Disney's "of the Caribbean" series, comes this sea sailing reality show broadcast.

What is it about this particular show that classifies itself as being unique in a long line up of Mark Burnett TV projects? Not a simple question to answer. Each of Burnett's shows has something unique to offer however are they becoming too formulaic?
    Classic shows like Survivor and Big Brother, which started the ball rolling, have stood the test of time, but with this addition can we expect the success to continue? This show simply titled Pirate Master, attempts to place 16 individuals on a pirate ship and set them sailing to distant islands in search of treasure, while also competing and partnering with each other for wealth and personal glory. The first of what is to be many more episodes briefly introduces us to pirate aspiring characters. The cast is a mix of male and female young and middle aged adults ranging in all attributes such as: nationality, career, personality etc. although all of them have one thing in common. They have been trained to sail a vessel. Which is exactly what they will be expected to do and do well, lest they be "set a drift" never to be heard from again...supposedly. The format of the show begins to play out in familiar manner, much like other reality shows based on an oceanic environment.

Considering the theme of the show, you have to wonder just how much is being staged and manipulated to have us believe this is a true pirate experience. I was somewhat taken back by the inadequate treasure hunt. It felt more like a race down a river than the actual search and decipher I was expecting. Although a race is more thrilling moment to moment once it’s over your left feeling dissatisfied by its simplicity. I would have deeply liked to have seen a more challenging and lengthy treasure expedition. I am desperately hoping this part of the show will improve soon. I felt like although this show had partial entertainment value, it was lacking in a lot of categories. More detail should have gone into the competition and formatting. Is this show just another attempt at capitalizing on the popularity of stable shows such as Survivor, or is it enough of a departure to thrill its audience with new excitement and a creative drama? Only time can truly tell, but from my perspective things could have started off a little rocky. A suggestion, why not have the outcasted pirate walk the plank? Yo Ho!
  • "Pirate Master" is a reality show where contestants have to live and compete as real pirates. Here not only is lying, cheating, stealing legal but also the threat of mutiny is but another thing that makes this show quite unique from other reality shows.

This show has great potential to be a huge hit unfortunately some people just won't give it a chance. The first time I saw the trailer for this show I honestly thought this is just another survivor ripoff but after watching a couple of episodes, I find myself captivated by how close the look and feel of the show to what a real pirate life would be like if it were like a contest. Unlike survivor were contestants just have to basically live off the island and compete with each other, this show features much much more such as the ability to bribe and connive with the use of actual object of value which is the gold coins. The contestants not only have to live like pirates but also have to follow pirate heirarchy. This show has so much potential so I implore those skeptics to watch more than one episode of this and I guarentee you that you will learn to love it. Give it a chance people. Very underappreciated.
  • i am a Survivor fan. This newest entry into realty TV is either a bomb or "soap flakes"--meaning, nothing yet. NO meat, no glamour, no drama, no photography, no wow FACTOR.

2.4
    A for effort, D- for product.

MR. Burnett
    has guts though, always trying a new
    approach to realty TV and for that alone, I will stay his fan but not of this series.

NOT every producer has a winner.
    This is not a winner. I am not sure
    how to improve it. IT is woosy through and through.
  • IF you like Survivor you might like this but it's just not as good and really didn't get my attention. This is midless drek.

Pirate Master is just another "reality" show and what seems to be a spinoff on Survior. The whole thing just doesn't cut it. OK so Pirates of the Caribbean hit big and people are all over it. BUT!!! this show is not even close. The supposedly exciting moments are just your usual "Survivor" like tests and the so called Captain is just some hippy/dred looking geek that isn't believeable. Pirates are not beautifull and the fact that there are very attractive women on the show makes it very unbelievable. Lets face it if these were real pirates, the women wouldn't be competing with the men (nudge nudge,know what I mean, know what I mean) any way the beauty factor has made reality shows unreal and the fact that the producers are picking hunks and bods to be on these shows is bogus. Where are the real people for reality TV?? Anyway I personaly think Pirate Master sucks the big one!
  • show in which americans are thrown on a ship to compete for the treasure of a fictional pirate

the show seems to take itself too seroiusly. it is a novel concept but when you watch it it just looks stupid, although i do actually watch it mainly because it's easy to watch on my computer through cbs innertube. the show seems really goofy. when they go on their expeditions they whine about steep climbs and being really tired when there only running a quarter mile they really come across as pathetic. you can so clearly see that it's a modern converted freighter and they have electric lighting. it's really sad because cbs took what was a very novel conmcept and seriously over dramatized it.
  • This show is surprisingly a somewhat entertaining. The show could be better, but is a watchable show in the summer.

Pirate Master is a show where 16 people act as pirates as they try to find buried treasure which in total is worth 1,000,000 dollars. The show is good for a while because it is interesting for the first few episodes. But, after awhile the show gets repetitive and becomes more predictable as the season goes along. Overall though, it is kind of interesting and is not your typical reality TV show.
  • Pirate Master is a great show but nobody gives it a chance.

Pirate Master is one of the best shows this summer. It's not better than Survivor but it definitely has potential. I've always been fascinated by pirates, especially the movie Pirates of the Caribbean. The crew members on the show are very competitive and backstabbing, just like the people from Survivor they have certain Alliances. It's kinda hard to tell who will win because the game has so many twists and turns. All the money they get from the treasure hunts is unbelievable and makes me wanna be a contestant. I'm happy that I'm the editor to such a great show and hopefully CBS will renew it after this season. Arrgh!!
  • Could be the next big thing, if only more people were interested.

I never really understand why some people consistently bash this show. In the midst of all the boring and ordinary reality shows we've been seeing lately, Mark Burnett presents something fresh and unique. This is a great game with its own routines, own twists, own strategies, etc. Such an example is that the constant shift of position (power and viewpoint) encourages contestants to be more actively involved and to think on their feet more, hence the phrase "Watch your back". Unfortunately, many people were quick to label it as boring and ordinary, assuming from CBS' promoting that it would be nothing more than a Survivor ripoff. I'll admit, it has its flaws, namely we get to see hardly any of some people, but so do TAR, Survivor, etc. Give it a chance, you'll really love it.
  • I'm really not much of a fan of this, but I have some hope...

7.4
    I came across this solely because of Survivor, the commercials for it I saw for it during the show, and because this show somehow *miraculously* got placed in the same time slot on the same day that Survivor was on. Coincidence? Certainly not. If CBS has any hope that this is going to become the next Survivor, I'm sorry, they are mistaken. Pirates has only 3 episodes out so far and already I'm rather bored with the plot. It's the same thing every episode. No one likes authority, and no one likes how the money goes around. At least in Survivor, they had no defied system of leader-underlings. The people were left to their own devices as far as command went. I understand they have to make the show focused somewhat towards how pirates actually governed on their ships, but can't there be a better solution? Can't they elect a leader another way? Then there are the challenges. I find them a little too repetitive at the moment. The same thing, over and over again. Can they spare some originality? I like the idea of a sabotage point and I think it had good intentions, but it's quite anti-climactic unless they lengthen the duration of the challenges. I have a feeling that much, much, more often then not, the group that reaches the point first will win. For those who don’t watch the show, Survivor has 2 challenges; one for a reward, and one for immunity (makes you immune to the vote). This makes for much action and suspense. I know they can’t follow this exact format, but just one short challenge isn’t enough for me... maybe three somehow? So far, this show has not had all of a good start. CBS has to start making this show a little different before the seasons over. If it keeps going the same way it’s going now, it’s most likely going to get canceled. It *can* be as good as Survivor, but right now it certainly is not.
  • Ok, just ok...

6.2
    This show seems to staged, its just not something that I could think of myself watching. There are already to many reality shows in television and now we have to go through something with pirates. I just think it is a way to get people back into a show that is similar to survivor. But its not just that this show seems like all of it is stages, like the actual people who are the "characters" seem like actors just wanting money, if you think about it it would be easier to get people to work on a show like that instead to actually have someone win. I just don't like this show, I think it could have been a lot better if it had a better concept.
  • Coming off of a finale rush of Survivor, The Amazing Race, Dancing with the Stars and American Idol I didn't want to watch Pirate Master but after one episode I was hooked.

With the general public's view of reality shows spiraling downward it's difficult for a new reality show to make any kind of impact. Pirate Master is one of the best reality shows I've seen because the dynamics change constantly. What makes Pirate Master different is that the teams randomly change from task to task. There is a captain chosen when a team wins and that captain chooses 2 first mates. The 3 of them share the captain's quarters which are far superior to the other sleeping quarters. They also have better food. The captain is also entitled to 50% of the gold found and the first mates share 25% with the rest going to the rest of the team.

Unlike other reality shows where meaningless tasks are performed to win rewards, the pirates must work together to accomplish the goal of finding their winnings. Once they find their gold they have it in hand to do with it as they please. The alliances made can be sealed with gold rather than just a promise and a handshake which tends to make people a little more honest. The elimination process is also very interesting. Three people are nominated by the captain with the help of his mates. They then hold pirate court where one of the 3 can be voted off or if the rest of the pirates vote unanimously, they can mutiny and vote off the captain. The loser is then "cut adrift".

The ship, the locale and the surroundings are all beautiful and you truly get the feel of going back to the pirate era of sailing. What makes any show great is if after watching it you just can't wait to see what happens next time. I can't wait to see the next episode of Pirate Master.
  • Another Survivor? I only wish...

5.2
    At first this seemed like another survivor type of show. Especially when the crew was handed color buffs to divide into teams. It is good to see that they are not doing this entirely.

I am a bit disappointed that the producers felt to revile that there is a DA on board the first night of the show. It should have been kept under wraps until mid way through the season. I thought the compass stealing was brilliant to save the exotic dancer's a$$, the fire fighter was really great with the responses of how to find north without the compass. I hope this show picks up. But I have a feeling it will be like another survivor, and we will be rooting for our favorite person...
  • Not sure about this yet.

Ok, I understand that pirates where stealing, raping, pilaging (sp?), but do we need to see this stuff again. I am going to give this show a chance, because I've always been a huge Survivor fan, and since it by the same maker....we will see. I find the shows are getting more back-stabbing then enjoyable everyday, and hopefully this show doesn't get any worse. I understand what the show is about, and I guess people are people and they will back stab to get what they want, I love pirates, but hate to see people manipulate and hurt others just for money.
  • What a pile of trash, CBS really think this is going to replace Jericho and get better ratings! Thinks again!

What a god aweful show, just another rung on the crap reality tv ladder, all it is is survivor in fancy dress, not original at all, why do they keep making this reality tv garbage! does anyone actually sit and watch this stuff anymore, its the same everytime, do tasks, win money, it would save everyone alot of time if they just didnt bother, this is all they can come up with for something to replace Jericho, i thought Kid Nation sounded bad enough, then this little nugget of excrement comes along.

Just get Jericho back on for gods sake, save yourself money, time and get your network reputation back before you lose viewers comepletly!
  • An interesting idea with an interesting group of folks.

7.2
    This Pirate show is interesting but I'm not entirely sure how a ship can be run with the constant voting. My early impression is "wait and see how it shapes up". Since this show is an invention of Mark Burnett, I'm sure it will be good. Mark always comes up with good ideas.
  • 16 ordinary Americans board the Picton Castle ship and play at being Pirates whilst sailing around the Dominican Republic. Not half as bad as I thought it would be, will tide me over until Survivor returns.

So faced with the long wait until Jeff Probst & Co return in the fall, it looks as though this may partly fill the void of dreary summer television for myself. I was not sure what to expect upon watching this having read some of the mediocre reviews, but being without anything else to watch, I gave it ago.
    The general premise is that 16 Americans board a genuine pirate ship, complete with period outfits and sail around the Dominican Republic looking for the treasure of Captain Henry Steele. Of course there are more twists & turns along the way such as the appointing of captains & officers who take a large share of the money won by the pirates, as well as handing out duties & chores. In turn this of course leads to the potential for mutiny. At the end of each episode the 3 pirates deemed not to be pulling their weight are able to plead their case to the remaining pirates as to why they should stay. In Survivor style, votes are then cast & the pirate with the most votes is "cut adrift".
    Coming from Mark Burnett & Lisa Hennessy, the show has a very "Survivor" feel to it in the way it is shot, music is used, it's layout & interviews with contestants. This is not a bad thing however, I personally love this style.
    Not a bad show at all, looking forward to watching it develop & this should tide me over nicely until Survivor China.
  • 16 'pirates' set sail for treasure hunting, cutthroat, reality adventure this summer. The crew pics its own captain and first two mates, and the backstabbing begins.

While being much like Survivor, Pirate Master is noticibly different. As of the first episode, nothing appearing to offer crew members immunity is offered on the show. In addition, the voting process is quite unique in that six of the crewmembers do not vote in Pirate Court, these being the three pirates selected by the captain for the boot. The mutiny twist however offers up an interesting facet to the mind game of the reality show. The challenge on the first night was refreshingly different than Survivor, in that the pirates were looking for money. Master offers to be something new and refreshing in a summer full of reruns. Master will please and be very fun to watch
  • A bunch of want-to-be actors running around pretending to be pirates. Zero potential, zero excitement, zero originality, zero enjoyment.

What a complete waste of time this show was! I'm surprised they bothered to edit out the "director" instructing them to make big facial expressions so the viewers would know how "hard" they're all working! And what is with the Rupert clone? Is CBS that desperate that they're trying to recreate Rupert without actually paying him the amount of money I'm sure he'd demand? And seriously, are we to believe that John left with the compasses and now the rest of the clearly highly-educated crew (NOT!) will be aimlessly wandering the seas looking for treasure they have no hopes of finding? Sadly, that is one hour of time that I will never get back. I think giving the show a full 1.0 score was a bit generous.
  • I'm not a survivor fan but...

I absolutely loved this show. I typically hate reality shows, but this one is just plain fun to watch. I'm sure I'll catch hell for this, I already have from the guy's at work. The characters are great, the whole concept is cool, I mean come on... you gotta bank in on the whole Pirates of the Caribbean thing right??? You get to see the cash as its won as opposed to the whole, you win a million bucks, whoopee!!! Plus right off the bat pretty much everone other than the captain gets screwed and best of all they pretty much screwed themselves, a great way to begin the show with a boat load of animosity towards one another. I give it two hooks up and one big AAARRRGGGGHHHH!!!!
  • I don't know why I bothered

Talk about a complete waste of time!!! Needless to say I won't be watching it again. CBS needs to get a clue & bring back Jericho!!! NUTS TO CBS!!

For more information about the campaign to save Jericho go to http://www.nutsonline.com/jericho

When are the networks going to realize that the viewers are sick & tired of reality shows, with the exception of a select few. Not to mention the fact that they can not exclusively rely on the Nielsen ratings system. In this day in age I don't know anyone who isn't using DVR or watching their tv shows online.

SAVE JERICHO!!!
  • What is that flushing sound, ah yes another idea going down the drain.

I watched this show in utter astonishment. Jerry Bruckheimer must own part of the network to get them to buy this show. Who are they kidding. And there is a second episode, this show ranks with the great shows Rob and Amber Against the Odds as TV for idiots.
    This is the have and have nots from the last Survivor taken to a new level of stupidity. Sorry, but this is not good TV.
    Jericho lost me when it went on a forever hiatus, but the worst episode there is far better than the best this show has to offer, unless some real pirates with machine guns take the treasure in the finale or sink that ship to put us out of our misery.
  • What the heck was I thinking?

Ug. What a piece! Hey, we have regular people who are supposed to be pirates and then we have a captain who gets half of all the stuff they find while he is captain? Huh? They couldn't tell he was a knucklehead before he was made captain or was that the point? I got a black dot, did you? If I were the first guy to get kicked off I would be happy. Clean your own boat! I think it actually made me angry to watch this show. Did anyone else notice that one of the contestants was a Scientist/Exotic Dancer? What in the world?!? I have seen some stupid stuff in my life but nothing evar THAT stupid! Cancel this mess!
  • A very dull reality show with bit actors cashing in on Pirates of the Caribbean buzz.

What an unbelievable waste of my time! Being a Pirates Of The Caribbean fan, I was curious about this show. The pirates theme is curious for a reality show, regardless of the fact that it is obviously just a quick cash-in attempt at chasing some of the POTC revenue. But is the show any good? In a word: YAWN! As reality shows go, this is the worst I have seen. It is one thing to have a monster with American Idol (a reality show with real, everyday people), but a reality show stocked with bit actors and little-known celebrities and former football players? Puh-leeze! There is a reason why they are bit actors...they can't act! Or, as was as much the case, they overact badly. TV is getting worse all the time, and this show is just another symptom of the reliance on stupidity of which network programming executives thrive on. DUMB, DUMB, DUMB!
  • That show was great on my tv. but honestly why can't i see the downloads here. Any happy helpertons out there ?

7.9
    It was very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very Neat.
  • Needs big time fine tuning!

3.3
    Does CBS think that they can kiss and make up for what they did when Jericho was cancelled and that they put this Survivor wannabe on here. Yes the Survivor fad is fading and other shows are coming up. And it wouldn't surprise me if this show flops in the summer. They need to really go back and fine tune it big time.
< 1 2