Pirate Master

CBS (ended 2007)

Pirate Master Fan Reviews (33)

7.1
  • Why the show just didn't match up to other reality shows?

I did attempt to watch Pirate Master when it first came out, and I did watch the rest of the episodes on CBS.com in order to finish it out. Many people I know liked the show, and they wish CBS would've brought it back. But I don't agree.

Pirate Master was trying to incorporate many ideas of Survivor, and I don't feel copying a reality show is a good idea. For one, they had a guy on the show, Louie, that looked like a pirate and sort of reminds you of Rupert from Survivor. There were not that many characters that really impressed me either. The only one doing any type of strategy was Jay, while the rest of them seemed lined up and waiting for their turn to be cast off the ship.

The other thing that frustrated me was the power in the game. I don't think it was fair for the captain to have officers at the beginning of the game. I felt that gave way too much power to the captain, and it was what helped him keep his power. The fact that you could have the strongest people on your side for sure, and the rest were going to be put on the weaker, opposing team finding the treasure was an unfair match-up. Azymyth, Jay, and Ben were the strongest people left in the game, and they got rid of their biggest competition in Sean and Joe Don. After awhile, it just wasn't interesting. You thought to yourself, oh great, who will they take out this time?

The characters just didn't have a lot of interaction with each other. They were too isolated, and that was part of the problem with the captain and their officers. Plus, as I said above, nobody else was doing any strategizing. Sure Christa was captain for the last half of the game, but she was Jay's little puppet. And Ben, don't even get me started. All he did was ride coattails and put a smile on his face. If it wasn't for his happy-go-lucky attitude, he would have been cast away sooner. And power player Jay was ousted unfairly by those that had already been booted. That was a horrible part of the game.

The final problem I had was what I said up above: the people that were eliminated from the game had too much power even after they were eliminated! I mean, first they get to come back and try to overthrow the captain if they win the challenge, split the treasure, and nominate whomever they chose (which thanks to John was foiled cause he dropped the key), and they got to choose which two people would be in the final treasure hunt, thus taking their revenge on Jay for getting them voted out when he was the only one doing anything the entire game.

Unfortunately for the show, it just didn't catch on to the audience, and the ship sunk just as fast as it got built. A maiden voyage gone horribly wrong for a television show, I'm sorry to say.