Planet Earth

Discovery Channel (ended 2007)

Planet Earth Fan Reviews (25)

• Informative, but way to many commercial interruptions

A fabulously stunning documentary that is about the world that we all call home, but we know so little about it and this mini series, which took five years to make, shows us all of the wonders that are on this planet. Seeing this mini series and couple with the fact that we are under the threat of global warring, which might make some of these wonders disappeared forever makes watching it even more wonderful, and that this might be the last time that these places are capture intact on film. An added bonus with this series is the fact that it was capture beautifully on HD.

My only complain was the fact that it was on the Discovery Channel and because of that to many commercials. This is something that should be on a PBS station or Discovery should of had limited commercial interruptions. For it felt like every five minutes there was a commercial interruption that interfered with the flow of the show.
  • A truly inspirational documentary that captures the true wonders and beauties of Planet Earth.

When I first watched this show, I was stunned. The high definition and absolute beauty of it captured my attention right away. After more than 2,000 days of filming, everything from oceans to deserts had been caught on camera.

They showed the different creatures in their natural habitat, and their unique behaviors, the landscape and natural wildlife in the forests, tropics, arctic and antarctic, savannah and mountains, so many of the fascinations of our planet. They followed certain endangered species and watched how they were like undisturbed, at the same time, explaining the different facts about them. Mass migrations of thousands of animals were followed, the hunts of predators, some of them never caught on camera before.

There is many more wonders in the series, Planet Earth, and I highly recommend it to anyone who is into the wonders of the world. It is virtually impossible for me to explain all of the sheer beauty of this fantastically made documentary, but I will say that it has changed the way I look at the world, unlike any other nature series has before.
  • This was the best that anyone has captured the natural world on film. The shots were amazing, and Planet Earth is to date the best piece of nature documentary.

Animal Planet and the Discovery Channel usually do very good nature documentaries, but Planet Earth is the pinnacle of the genre. Every minute of the show is incredible. If you were just tuning in you would be amazed at whatever you saw. The majesty and beauty captured in this show is unparalleled, and it gives a sense of grandeur to even the smallest of creatures. The only problem with this show is that its too good. After about 15 minutes I would begin to get bored, even though what I was watching was incredible. Its like a skate/snowboard video. After you've seen something awesome for 10 minutes you begin to stop appreciating what your seeing. Even so, this is one of the masterpieces of film, and a must see for anyone interested in the world beyond the concrete.
  • Better in HD

As far as I am concerned, if I decide to spend one of my evenings with 'Sir David', I am in good hands. I know what kind of Show I will be watching, I know the quality will be outstanding, I know I will learn something new and I know I will be amazed and dazzled. But I have to say that this latest effort from the BBC was the best one yet for me.

Show 1 dealt with the planet as a whole, and the varying influence of the sun on life in different parts of the Earth. From the beginning, the photography is spectacular. We move from our beautiful planet from space, to the biggest flock of bird you could imagine, to a never seen scene of two polar bear cubs coming out of their hole in the snow for the first time, while their mother is busy sliding down a snow covered slope, just for the fun of it, it seems. I won't go through every scene in the programme as I would do them a disservice by trying to describe them, but 2 or 3 stick in my mind. There is the joyous sight of a herd of elephants, having finally found water, playing with delight in the water. The underwater shots are incredible, the elephants submerged entirely with only their trunks sticking out. There is also the unbelievable shot of a great white shark leaping out of the water to snatch a seal (you may find this shocking, but to me that was absolutely beautiful). This one second shot was slowed down 40 times to make what has to be one of the most unbelievable scenes.

The technological development that permitted some of the best bits to be shot is a camera attached to the underside of a helicopter that can take picture from a kilometre and a half away without the shaking and blurring that existed in the past. The animals are therefore unaware of any human presence and go about their business as they would were they not being filmed.

The amazing pictures are accompanied either by beautiful but unobtrusive music or by David Attenborough's commentary. I have a thing about his voice, so this is the icing on the cake to me, but you might disagree.

I look forward to watching more of this. Our planet is still totally beautiful, let's enjoy it while we can.
  • Simply amazing

Last night, I watched the first instalment in this new series, and it was one of the best things I have seen on television, ever. I am a faithful audience for nature programmes, in particular the major ones done by David Attenborough, and I have always found the quality to be exceptional. But this was in a league of its own. If you missed it, try and catch the next ones, you will not regret it.

I even have the complete series in HD. It's worth buying it. The quality is amazing, and this is simply one of the best nature shows ever.
  • The absolute best documentary i have ever seen, and ive seen alot!!!

Oh my gosh!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is just absolutely amazing and i have no idea how it could possibly get any better. They got so many shots and footage of things that few people have ever seen before and their lives and some that many never be seen again. It must have been just an amazing experience for all the camera crews and the producers. It almost makes me want to become a wildlife filmographer. Such an amazing program, i tuned in every week and still watch it whenever its on, it is just too good!! I hope i can get the DVD's for christmas, that would be awesome!!!!!
  • This has to be the greatest show on BBC-One & Discovery television networks right now.

I love Nature and thats why I love this show. I like this shoe better a billion times better with David Attenborough as the host because he starred in my favorite line of movies "Jurassic Park". He was my favorite character in those lines of movies because he did such a brilliant performance and he does a brilliant performance no this show as the host as well. The team of The Blue Planet sure knew what their were creating when they made these two shows and I'm glad both of them are doing a superb job in the ratings. So I give this show two thumbs up.
  • Even Better in HD

• Brilliant viewing for all ages

As far as I am concerned, if I decide to spend one of my evenings with 'Sir David', I am in good hands. I know what kind of programme I will be watching, I know the quality will be outstanding, I know I will learn something new and I know I will be amazed and dazzled. But I have to say that this latest effort from the BBC was the best one yet for me.

Programme 1 dealt with the planet as a whole, and the varying influence of the sun on life in different parts of the Earth. From the beginning, the photography is spectacular. We move from our beautiful planet from space, to the biggest flock of bird you could imagine, to a never seen scene of two polar bear cubs coming out of their hole in the snow for the first time, while their mother is busy sliding down a snow covered slope, just for the fun of it, it seems. I won't go through every scene in the programme as I would do them a disservice by trying to describe them, but 2 or 3 stick in my mind. There is the joyous sight of a herd of elephants, having finally found water, playing with delight in the water. The underwater shots are incredible, the elephants submerged entirely with only their trunks sticking out. There is also the unbelievable shot of a great white shark leaping out of the water to snatch a seal (you may find this shocking, but to me that was absolutely beautiful). This one second shot was slowed down 40 times to make what has to be one of the most unbelievable scenes.

• Wow I loved watching this show. I loved it. I saw things that I probably will never see again. Unless I get it on DVD...which I want to do. It was a great show and I love it.

This show was brillient. I loved the part with the polar bear when she came out of the den with her cubs and slid down the snow.

It was so cute. What else was there? Well I just loved seeing all the different kinds of animals in the world. And that polar bear swimming in the ocean all by himself. It showed you what could happen to the polar bears and all the other animals. When global warming comes. It will be so sad.

I would hate to see all the animals die off and for the next generations to not be able to see them.

Can't wait to get this show on DVD. est wildlife show EVER!
  • Perfect. That's all you can say.

I grew up watching documentaries and animal shows, and this one frankly blows them all out of the water. When you watch the episode about the making of the show, you understand how such an amazing work could come together. With each one-hour episode dedicated to a specific environment, every episode is an in-depth examination of both plants and animals present in said environment.

The cinematics are absolutely stunning. The rarest of animals are captured displaying beautiful colors, the most jaw-dropping scenery is composed perfectly, and the information is presented in an engaging and straightforward manner. You simply will not find a better production.
  • The greatest show on the Discovery channel.

Planet Earth deserves more than just a 10 on the rating scale.This show is so amazing!It reveals information animals that I have never heard about.It also tells us about the amazing planet God has made for us.This show will surprise and entertain future generations to come.If I could rate this show,i'd give a 20/10.
  • This has to be the worlds most watched small show....

Has anyone here seen this, This has to be the worlds most watched small show, it has gotten the best reviews by every internet rating giants, as either 9.4 or 9.8. This show is even better in Discovery HD they have superB high quality video for their paid HD Channel for this show.
  • Beautiful...

By far, this is the best documentary of all time, showing our planet in a way like no other. The filming is incredible, and the shots are incredible. The footage is beautiful and does nothing less but humble the soul when one realise the sheer magnificence of our world. The was footage taken that was once-in-a-lifetime, and I am glad to have been apart of it, just by sitting at home on my couch in complete awe.

Planet Earth is that one show that can truly open your eyes up to this wonderful place we call home. Never in my life have I seen a documentary that literally put my jaw on the floor, and actually was unanimously agreed upon as an amazing show by every high school student that watched it.

Absolutely fabulous doesn't even do it justice.
  • A fascinating look at our planet, and some of the most breathtaking footage and information ever!

Planet Earth is an absolute must see documentary of our great mother earth. It takes you behind the scenes in a way that has never been done before. You learn not just about the animals of our planet but about everything that makes us exsist.

It is quite an eye opener on how fragile our earth is becoming, and that serious changes need to happen fast.

It also takes you along with the incrediably brave and amazing people who spent years to make this happen. And shows the lengths they went to, and the conditions they faced.

This show will teach young and old some unbelieveable facts of our world.
  • Planet Earth surely is one of the best Wildlife shows ever made. But as Humanity grows, Nature gets hurt. A cycle that will collapse one day!

Once more the BBC proves its talent to make great documentaries. No other channel out there has such interesting shows as the BBC.
    Planet Earth is one of those shows and maybe it is even the best that the BBC has ever made. Nature is pictured in this show as it has never been shown before.
    Great White Sharks jumping out of the water catching its prey! Millions of birds flying in one gigantic swarm. Underwater creatures, one stranger than another. Lions at the edge of starvation taking down an elephant.
    Some pictures are so beautiful, they could be a painting! I'm thinking of the Zebras and Wildbeest jumping away in a most chaotic way to escape the jaws of a Nile Crocodile!
    Some animals shown in the series are even so rare, that this may be the last time we see them in the Wild. The Snow Leopard or the Amur Leopard are nearly extinct, just like the Great Panda.
    The Show is very entertaining and very instructive too. The Show describes the formation of the Landscape as well as its impact on our world. From the Poles, through the Taiga and the Amazon, down to the deepest holes on Earth. Planet Earth is an amazing series that everyone should have seen.
    Not only does it show us those rare pictures, but it also makes us aware of the fragility of the natural world. We may be the dominant species on this Planet, but I believe that we do not have the right to destroy nature or to adjust it to our needs. A sustainable way has to be found in order to preserve Wildlife. But how can we think about saving animals when there are still people starving everywhere! We first have to take care about those people so that they realize that if we do not protect nature, it will be destroyed and so will we eventually. In my perspective, Humanity is just another species roaming the Earth. Nature is the dominant force on this Earth, we cannot do anything against sea levels that rise, storms that ravage the land or earthquakes destroying our homes. For now we are tolerated. But if we do not adapt to Nature, one day it will be too late, and we may have to face our extinction...
  • One of the best documentaries of all time.

Planet Earth is a beautiful documentary about the world in which we live. One look at the gorgeous HD footage will make you stop in your tracks and watch nature's beauty unfolding before your eyes. This is by far one of the best documentaries about Planet Earth that I have ever seen. I truly hope that this will influence more people to help take care of our wonderful planet. This 11-part documentary covers many aspects of our planet, such as the oceans, mountains, and great plains. Once you watch it, you'll want to re-watch just in case you missed something because...it's that good.
  • Planet Earth.

Planet Earth is a nature documentary show that shows you how animals live all over the world the way it is shot is really good and over all it looks really good the show the narrator of the show does a nice job at narrating the show most the nature show can be dull and boring at some points but Planet Earth is never dull and never boring and it also teaches you about your planet that we all live in Planet Earth is a great fantastic documentary done very good my over all rating of this show is 9 ut of 10 The End.
  • An amazing look at the world we live in.

The commercials looked pretty good for this shows, so I decided to watch the first episode. Little did I know that the show would be way better than I thought it would. The shots are amazing, the landscape breath taking, and the animals are captivating. It is really interesting to see remote areas of the world we live in, places I did not know even existed. It's also interesting to watch how animals have adapted to their environment and learn how they survive. I would highly recommend watching this show. I TiVo it so I can fast-foward through the commercials, because there seem to be a lot. Even if you don't have TiVo though, still watch this show. You won't be disappointed.
  • Amazing!

I've always been interested in animals and the ecosystems in which they live and this show has all of that. Planet Earth is absolutely breath-taking in it's scenery and informative through the interesting facts it presents.

Not to mention, this is finally a television show that has a GREAT narrator, Sigourney Weaver. She has an addicting voice that is perfect for the serene and not-so-serene settings of the show.

The slow motion makes some of the shots amazing and terrifying at the same time. This is definitely a show everyone has been waiting for. It's an incredible tribute to the world around us.
  • A must see by the world! (Note: LOTS of commercials =[)

A must see! Very informative and cutting edge. The filming is amazing and soundtrack is absolutely unbelievable. I never even heard about half the animals on this show until I saw them for myself. It shows you that there is still things to save out there! We can make a difference!
  • As a documentary being based on nature existing on our homeworld, we get a great background look on all areas that take part of nature on earth. A special documentary with great visual that people will enjoy.

From the first three parts, I manage to witness the difficult work the camera crews put up on this project for five years. For all the hard work they did with their project they deserve it, because they may have created one of the best nature documentaries containing great visuals as well as Sigourney Weaver providing informative information. For some of you that do not know much about nature in life, this is a documentary that you should witness.
  • This is an interesting show and a must see.

This show I find it like a great series about animals and nature that can show situation in were the animals are in danger and the nature around them in which this show can be fun to watch and can be better because the creators of this show might have sacrifice all their creative work so that we can learn from it and it can be very educational in many ways. Also I hope this show airs frecuently and has many viewers because it looks quite interesting and a must see for the television audience and it could be very good to see it. I could start seeing it and I hope it has some great parts were it can show us how the nature and animals are in the habitat and has creative work so it can receive good ratings and viewers throughout the time it airs.
  • Interesting!! A new show about the animals, weather and anything with nature and obviously planet Earth!

The show is exciting and filled with great graphics! When I first saw it in the commercials, it looked very interesting. I felt like I was there in the places, visualizing seeing the animals and others first hand. I can not wait for the show to air. It reminds me of the Wild Thornberry but with actual images and sensory. I love love love love it! There are some pictures and it is great! I can not wait for the show to air! It will be entertaining! I think that everyone should watch this show. Overall i hope it will be wonderful and thrilling.
  • This is going to be one of the best shows that have ever aired on TV!

This is going to be one of the best shows that have ever aired on TV! This show is just going to be so great because just look at it, it is shot in HD and some of the footage is never before seen by the human eye! This show is just amazing in every single aspect! Even the commercials for this show look amazing which made me just have to get this editorship! I got so excited to become this shows editor because it is so cool and it will be one of the best shows ever! I love this show and I give it a A+!