Point Pleasant

Human Nature

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Jan 20, 2005 on FOX

• Christina begins to better understand her situation. Jesse wants to get closer with her, but she pushes him away. Boyd moves to Point Pleasant to be close to Christine. The young priest realizes who Christine is and it has some tragic consequences.

A somewhat entertaining episode of Point Pleasant. In a way I liked this better than the Pilot episode, but overall this episode had more flaws in the story.

For one, people acting stupid really does not help a story to be clever. The older priest does one dumb thing after another and ends up being a pawn in the plan that is unfolding. It's like watching a bad horror flick and seeing the young people make bad decisions one at a time till there's only one left. The writers really need to step up on this show.

There are a few actors in this cast I really love to watch. Grant Show plays a great bad guy or just a smarmy unlikable guy as in Accidentally on Purpose so his casting is perfect. I think Dina Meyer is miscast here. She is a tremendously likable actress. Here we are suppose to believe that she has an inferiority complex over her looks. Sorry, that just doesn't quite work and the scenes with Boyd and then Kramer were not quite believable. Of course Boyd's unstoppable powers are suppose to force her to believe whatever he says? Again, just not believable!

OK so we get it, Christine is the daughter of Satan and it is inevitable that she will do bad things. What's with all the dead crows in the graveyard? The evil looking statues in the church? The dog barking at Christine constantly? Yes, we know dogs have a sixth sense and she is evil. Let's hit the audience over the head with these points.

Actually not much happens in this episode when it really comes down to it. The one really exciting thing is totally random. How do they explain the boat starting itself especially as its been disabled, burning itself up, and then driving its way over to where the parade is taking place? That should be a good one. I am looking forward to that explanations myself.

As we understand what's going on and what it represents the story isn't too bad. I do think the show should have been a little more subtle, but at this point it really is not looking like that is the way it will be. It sort of feels like they had a great story idea and it just kept leaping forward with no one controlling it.

From seeing some of the middle episodes I know this show can be quite good. I'm looking forward to it reaching that point. Thanks for reading...
  • PP has been nothing but a nice suprise so far!

I loved this episode more than the pilot. They kind of ditched the "The OC" soapiness and went straight for the gothic and supernatural happenings this time, including mystical prophecies and murderous boats. It IS sort of campy but there's enough suspense and real gosh-that's-freaky to actually enjoy the ride. In "Human Nature" the character of Lucas Boyd visits town and almost immediately turns down Amber's advances by calling her a "faded prom queen". Go Lucas! Then he goes on his way to scare the bejebus out of Christina in a dark and misty forest. Christina kills a priest - the one who happens to be aware of who she really is - and makes a grand spectacle out of it by burning him on the family boat during an annual parade. First priest down.

The doctor that has apprently adopted Christina (he's still 'trying to contact her father' but we know that's not gonna happen) still can't act. Ben Kramer = a wooden stick. Yet I try to convince myself that there really ARE people like that in this world, so maybe it's just a genius acting trick of his. Um, no.

Great addition, all in all, to an entertaining series. I seriously hope they'll liven up the drama parts a bit though.
  • The Kramer’s dog knows there is something bad about Christina. The man that Christina though was her dad isn’t. Lucas has to go to Point Pleasant to watch over Christina. Christina finds out a little information about her mother.

7.2
    Okay, so the Father (Of the Church) gets killed on the Kramer’s burning boat. They didn’t find any remains? No one asks how the boat got untied and how it caught on fire? I know these are all minor details, but the little details are what make everything come together. Sheriff Logan Parker thinks that his wife (Sarah Parker) is cheating on him with the new guy in town, (Lucas Boyd) but doesn’t do a check on him? What good is it being a cop if you don’t take some advantages? If Amber Hardgrove wants Ben Kramer so bad why is she being so nasty? Christina finds out her mom was pregnant with her and was still a virgin. Who checked that out and didn’t tell anyone except the Father. Spray the damn place for wasps already!

EdJ
  • Lucas Boyd moves to town to keep an eye on Christina. Christina and Jesse get closer. Meanwhile, a local priest finds out Christina's true nature and ends up getting burnt to death, causing Christina to find a piece of paper with her origins written on it

Okay. so this is my first review ever.
    Personally, Human Nature is one of my favourites out of the entire season. Written by the amazing Marti Noxon, this script sparkles.
    We discover the meaning of the mark in Christina's eye. It is the mark of the Devil...three sixes intertwined. I think this was very clever and imaginative. Then of course there is the appearance of Lucas Boyd. I love this bit:

Boyd: It's always the quiet towns. That's where the gruesome things happen. You know, like dog eats girl. Or...girl eats dog.

Chrisitna: Do I know you?

Boyd (smiling creepily): No, not yet. You have a good day.

And the bit where he scares/annoys her so much that she ends up screaming "SHUT UP!" at him and blows up the headlights on his car!!! You go girl.

I just need to mention, this is my favourite quote of all time. I'm not sure why, but whenever I see it, I start laughing:

Christina: Did you see that?

Judy: Yeah, our boat on fire is kind of hard to miss!

In a bit, people of tv.com!
  • Personally one of my favorite episodes.

The second episode of "Point Pleasant" is one of my favorites - about tied with the last two episodes. It's a tad slow, but it progresses the storyline quite a bit, Boyd moves into town, and some more creepy things happen. It has quite a bit more of that "gothic feel" that the showrunners were promising. The scene with Meg at the graveyard, with dead crows surrounding Isabelle's grave, and the priest going into the creepy church basement and finding the prophecies foretelling Christina's arrival and ultimate destruction of the town were some of my favorite moments.

The episode could have been quite better if the boat parade scenes had been lessened, as well as Amber trying to seduce Ben. The writers should have fully embraced the "horror" aspect this episode had. Once again I'd like to point out where the writers' decision to initially only have "human" monsters instead of demons or anything could have been a mistake. After all, this episode DOES deal with religion. A demon and angel or two really could have set this episode off, and given Christina a clear idea she wasn't normal.
  • An uptick in the series, but still not the best thing ever written or filmed. Like all the other episodes, it's highly derivative.

5.4
    It's certainly not a resounding, "Yay!" but the sound you hear is my great sigh of relief after the second episode of Point Pleasant proved to be much better than the pilot. No, we're not talking about a show on par with the early Buffy the Vampire Slayer or the current Veronica Mars, but it was still better than a good 75% of what passes for entertainment on television. What's good about it can overwhelmingly be traced to the enormous appeal of Elisabeth Harnois, although she does get some help from the introduction of Lucas Boyd to the town of Point Pleasant. The character is the most intriguing on the show besides Harnois' Christina, and I found Grant Show's portrayal suitably menacing.

First, while on the subject of Harnois, I must note that my Open Office word processor's auto correction desperately wanted my last review to be a treatise on Vietnam. It corrected Harnois' name to "Hanoi" or "Hanois," and I failed to catch it. Sloppy work on my part. Harnois herself cannot be accused of sloppy work in "Human Nature". Playing someone with psychokinetic powers is tricky business. It is so easy to end up looking like Barbara Eden doing Jeannie or Elizabeth Montgomery as Samantha. Harnois deftly avoids this by acting with her eyes, rather than using jerky head movements to portray her power. The scene where Christina psychically attacks the Kramer family's angry dog was very well acted and an effective part of the story. While her eyes clearly show her power, I also genuinely believed her shock and dismay at this violent manifestation of her power. Seeing the dogs blood struck fear in her, and I felt it, too. There are occasions when she does rush her lines, seeming to think that speaking quickly expresses her apprehension, and she overdoes the looks of confusion at times. Over all, however, I believe her, and that's the biggest battle in a show like this.

Harnois' burden was eased a bit by the emergence of Boyd as a major character. His cool, calm cruelty added genuine menace. I was especially impressed by the scene in which he emotionally devastates Amber Hargrove. The writing here was effective, and both Show and Dina Meyer played the scene well. The best part of the scene was when he tells Amber, "I like a little mileage on my woman. It's just the whole fading prom queen thing." I understood his cruelty, because her attempts at seduction were disgustingly obvious, but her crushed expression was still difficult to watch.

As for the rest of the writing, some of it was quite good. Noxon toned down the whole "everyone is acting so weird" thing that was so overdone and repetitive in the pilot. She also created some scenes that ended up working very well not only because of the script, but because of skilled direction and cinematography. When Christina walks down the street, deserted except for bodies, the mood struck the right note with me. The overhead shot of Meg Kramer sitting at her daughter's grave surrounded by dead blackbirds was well-conceived and shot. I also liked the shot of the burning boat and the flashes of the hanging body in the flames. Perhaps best of all, the ending shot of Christina's shocked face lacked the campy silliness of the pilot's final shot.

Unfortunately, the writing is still lacking in a lot of areas. First and foremost, it's still highly derivative. The idea of the devil's child or a possessed child has been covered in countless movies. While Buffy the Vampire Slayer sometimes fell back on horror conventions, it also played with some and turned others on their heads. There's also a shortness of smartness and wit in the dialogue that I've found in so many of my favorite shows. Unlike BtVS or Angel or Veronica Mars, Point Pleasant is much more straightforward and, dare I say, common. I guess that's true of at least 95% of all television dramas (or "dramadies"), but it still keep this show from even approaching greatness.

Another problem I have with the writing is that it tends to fall back on soap operaisms, if you will. I couldn't care less about the relationship between Ben Kramer and Amber Hargrove. I know the writers are trying to show how Christina's presence is affecting those who come in contact with her, but I still wish they'd just drop this little plot line. I care much more about Christina's inner conflicts, the manifestations of her powers, and her efforts to find out about her past.

My last major complaint concerns some of the religious cliches and goofy religious proclamations. I know a show about Satan's daughter must by its very nature include a lot of references to Christianity, but it was just silly to have Paula tell Jesse, "I'd be really mad if you weren't doing something goof for God." What does that even mean? I also can't help but wonder if this show has the largest percentage of churchgoers outside the Bible Belt in the entire country. Everyone's always talking about churchgoing or church activities. I've never come across this much religious talk, and I grew up in the Mormon Church. Along the same lines, while I'm admittedly no longer a Christian and don't share the beliefs, I found it odd for someone who believes in miracles and doctrines like transubstantiation to lecture anyone about the folly of superstitious beliefs. It's my firm belief that one person's "superstition" is another person's "faith." Passing judgment by dismissing others' beliefs as "superstitious" is just offensive to me. That's not even dealing with the fact that the person who was at the receiving end of said lecture was a priest who looked to be all of 16 years old. I'd read that the Catholic Church was having difficulty filling the demand for priests, but I don't think they're taking 'em quite that young.

Despite some nagging complaints, I found enough good in this episode to give me hope for future developments. In turn, the ratings gave me hope that there will be enough time for that development to happen. While you never can tell what FOX will do, that can't be disappointed that the show kept roughly three-quarters of the audience from The O.C.. While I've never had cause to watch that show, it is generally considered to be one of the network's "hits," so retaining such a sizable chunk of the audience bodes well. On the other hand, the show is facing some tough competition from the likes of the top-rated show on television, and, in absolute terms, the ratings for the second episode dropped by about half from those of the pilot. I'm in the mood to be optimistic, however, so I'm going to say that FOX will go with this one. I'll stick with it if they will.

[Note: This review was reproduced exactly as it appeared on TVTome, so comments about ratings and whether the show will continue are here simply for the sake of completeness and continuity.]