Pokémon

Season 8 Episode Movie 8

Lucario and the Mystery of Mew

Aired Saturday 8:30 AM Sep 19, 2006 on Cartoon Network

• After pretty much leaving what has become a less and less interesting series for this reviewer, Netbug has an accidental encounter with Lucario and the Mystery and Mew and is surprised to find that it's one of the best films in the Pokemon series.

I love Pokemon. I really do. I play the games. I play the cards. I watch the show... well.... no. I used to watch the show, but lately I feel Pokemon has jumped the shark and become less and less interesting with each passing season.

Apparently the movies, however, have not fallen victim to this problem. At least you couldn't tell from LATMOM.

Watching this was a total accident. I wasn't planning to, but there was nothing on and with the recent acquiring of Pokemon Diamond I was in the mood, so I put it on while I was playing. I soon found myself less and less focused on my game and more and more into the events on screen. What a surprise! A Pokemon movie that's actually deep, compelling, fun, and interesting! The back story was strong. The star Pokemon was interesting, and the relationships were well done. And of course, great animation to go with it.

LATMOM is the first time I've seen something that came close to the first Pokemon movie in a long time. In fact, I think it may have kicked the first movie's butt. I'd have to watch the first movie it again to make a judgment there though.