Pokémon

Mewtwo Returns

Aired Saturday 8:30 AM Dec 04, 2001 on Cartoon Network

• We were not born as they were. We are not of this world. We do not belong in it. But where do we belong?

A good continuation to the first Pokemon movie; they stick to the same themes, music and type of art.

The plot is good, but perhaps a bit weaker than in the first installment.

Same themes are rolled back and forth, over and over: do the copied, cloned Pokemon share the same rights as their original versions? Where do the clones belong? Will they ever be able to live in peace?

As good as that idea is, being repeated over and over really kills it. We got it the first time, now let's move on.

A good watch, definitely worth it. Goes flawlessly with the first movie.
  • great movie!

Ash, Misty, and Brock continue exploring the Johto region and have to rescue Pikachu after Jessie and James of Team Rocket kidnap him. The search leads them to the hidden plateau where Mewtwo has established a haven for the cloned Pokémon from the previous film. The evil Giovanni is plotting to recapture Mewtwo and renew his efforts to create an army of bio-engineered Pokémon. Aided by the reluctant Meowth, Ash and his friends defeat Giovanni and his henchman. Ash, Misty, and Brock continue exploring the Johto region and have to rescue Pikachu after Jessie and James of Team Rocket kidnap him. The search leads them to the hidden plateau where Mewtwo has established a haven for the cloned Pokémon from the previous film. The evil Giovanni is plotting to recapture Mewtwo and renew his efforts to create an army of bio-engineered Pokémon. Aided by the reluctant Meowth, Ash and his friends defeat Giovanni and his henchman.
  • This is a good special.

This is a good special. I particularly enjoyed it. It is actually a good sequel to the first movie. I really liked how Giovanni and Domino were so well portrayed as evil villians go. The special also focuses on Team Rocket while not as much as an episode but they do focus on them a lot more. There are some problems I had with this however and I'm sure if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about. These problems include Mewtwo's many cloning issues, the issues of cloning pokémon itself, and lastly how do you get baby Nidoqueen? It's impossible I tried. However these issues are small compared to others. While it was a good special and I enjoyed it. I just thought it could have delivered more.
  • Giovanni finds out where Mewtwo is hiding while Team Rocket kidnaps Pikachu. Ash and the gang follow them to save Pikachu which leads to them finding Mewtwo's haven, located on a special lake. Can Mewtwo save the lake, the others, and himself?

This was really good! Sure, it wasn't a movie but its an awesome special! It had excitement and adventure. We also find out that Mewtwo is still puzzled and confused about being the world. He still doesn't understand what purpose the clones have on Earth. I also liked the concept of the lake having healing abilities. It showed a little bit of scientific and medical stuff but Luna was right. She was right to say that revealing the lake to the world would be bad for the ecosystem. What I also liked was that Ash didn't become all hero and save the day. Mewtwo was the one who saved the day but with Ash's help. The plot of the movie was also good. Giovanni didn't have his memory erased, so it makes a lot of sense that he'd keep on looking for Mewtwo. The movie also includes the Uncut Story of Mewtwo's Origin, which explains a lot about the first movie. Overall, this movie was very good. It has adventure, a little scientific and medical stuff, and some psychological stuff. Its a wonderful sequel to the first movie.