Pokémon

Saturday 8:30 AM on Cartoon Network Premiered Sep 08, 1998 In Season

SPDShadowRanger

Pokémon Fan Reviews (892)

• It went down hill from dp...

1.5
    I think, that the first 5 series were awesome brilliant, they were funny, the pokemon were cute and the characters were good. Then we hit the series with May and Max, who I also thought were brilliant, team rocket was also good in all of them. I especially favoured their costumes and disguises and the fact that he usually had one of his pokemon (I remember Cacnea and Victreebel mostly) attacking him. Then the dp battle dimensions made an appearance, and it was good but it kind of got tiring, always changing the female characters. I would say the only good thing about that was the running joke of the female companions bikes being broken, but thats about it. It started to annoy me because there were less and less references to other older characters, like misty and tracey. I also didn't get pokemon chronicles, don't get me wrong it was a great season but it has a new trainer, I think he was called Jimmy? We see him for a special feature length episode 'The legend of Thunder' then we never hear him again, wouldn't it be better if they expanded on him and his journey as well? It really ticks me off that they introduce some pretty cool characters, like Jimmy and Ritchie, who was apparently Ashes best friend, then we never hear of see them again. It also tends to do this with his pokemon, for example his pidgeot, primeape and butterfree. Now, I saw a sorta new episode of pokemon that was all about butterfrees and would of been the perfect to make Ash's Butterfree make a brilliant reappearance, I was actually expecting that, but no. So basically whenever he says something along the lines of "We'll meet again sometime/where we can be sure that we'll never see that person or pokemon again. Then the show hit rock bottom, its clear they must be running out of ideas and voice. I absoloutly detest James and Meowths new voices eugh! They just awful, meowth sounds like he's just attempted the cinnamon challenge and failed and james just sounds horrible. It has grown old. Maybe if the drawing hadn't been changed as well, ashes face is bad, they've changed the eyes. Also team rocket don't even use the Meowth hot air balloon anymore or 'blast off' Nurse joy looks horrendous because of the hair and face. Too much changes. I know I was born in 2000 and missed some of it, but I watched them on YouTube and I know a change when I see it. Pikachu is ugly now, not fat fluffy and cute. Overall the changes from 1998-present aren't for the good of the show. The animators really need to think this through and try to make it resemble the brilliant original a little more.
  • Top Shows

Most ep til advanced pt. 2 (97-04)
  • Game is great, but anime got boring

Ok let's got this straight. Pokemon came out in 1998 and I was born in 2001 so I kind of missed out in the kanto part (although I did watch it later and thought it was great) I never really liked pokemon until I was about 6 and this was when d/p came out I was glued to it. I really enjoyed it because it was so kid friendly for little kids and the older episodes were actually humorous. But when b/w came out I was shocked. I absolutely hated the new characters like cilan and iris. Cilan is like a wannabe Brock and iris is a wannabe misty. I also didn't like how ashs voice was so much more different than the d/p series and how pika uh was even more skinny than d/p. it was like the show completely changed. I also grew up with some of the pokemon games like d/p, but eventhough I grew up with theses games I actually preferred the older games like r/s/e and g/s/e because I already had the game boy. All in all, new episodes suck, old episodes rock, and pretty much all the games are good (especially x and y love that game so much) hope this helped! :P
  • Game kicks ass, cartoon sucks it.

There, I said it.
  • the show got boring

after seeing misty leave the show got boring misty was the funny one in the show brock would flirt with a girl and misty would just jump in and now that max and may are in the show they aree good but may is fine but to much of a rookie (i dont mean to be rude) and at the start of the season of may she just wanted a pokemon to just explore the world but later she starts caring about pokemons and then later there voices change witch messed up the show and i was reading that now the writers dont care about the characters looks and voice and the reason they took off misty is because of a romantic thing going on with ash and misty but the writers chose to put a love romantic and i read that they want to do a 100 seasons of pokemon and i think its just for the games and i belive that they dont care about the show no more and what the fans want but when brock was gone for a season a bunch of fans wanted him back and now that he is back they dont care much for him and misty is gone and alot of people want misty back but they wont bring her back because of the love romances and now the latest female is dawn (i dont know whats going on there im still watching the beginning of season 6) and now the show keep getting boring because that misty is gone and the voice changed and know one knows whats going to be in the future of pokemon.
  • Just Got Back Into It

When I first watched this it was around 1998 and was on for a year. After watching one episode, I was hooked and became part of the Pokmon craze. Even to this day I praise the older episodes and am super stoked they are being aired on Cartoon Network. Amazingly, this anime was dubbed by none other than 4Kids, the WORST dubbing company of all time. That's right, 4Kids actually did something right.

Now after a few years I lost interest in the show, but a small part of me still liked it and started building up and amazingly I started liking again a few months ago, though I am not a fan of the way the show is now. It's not the masterpiece I knew all those years ago.

Surprisingly, despite being made in 1997, 8 years after The Simpsons first aired, Pokmon has actually surpassed the show in number of episodes, having well over 700 episodes. I think the reason the anime is still surviving is because of the popularity of the games.
  • Blue blazes! How does overrated garbage like this become popular but awesome shows that weren't even haven a chance get pulled off the air quickly?!?

1.5
    I was never always a big fan of Pokemon, I never played attention to it when it came on, meaning I was natural about it. That was until I realized how stupid this utter garbage was. The characters are one-dimensional and the show sticks to the same plot ALMOST EVERY F##KING episode. Literally, it feels like you're watching the same exact episode done in a different way. I can't believe I'm saying this, but this show is more repetitive than Johnny Test! I mean for Pete sakes, can the creators pull the plug on this God awful piece of garbage already?! The fights are very childish and look like 2 preschoolers fighting on a playground. The characters are annoying. Pikachu is ugly and annoying and tries to be cute but he's so not. Ash is so immature and thinks he's cool when he's just lame as hell. I cannot recommend this show to anyone and I urge everyone to avoid this God awful piece of garbage. Seriously it's overrated, even the people at my school bring their Nintendo DS and play the game. Ok, I'll admit, the games are good, but the show, no way! Rating: 1/10
  • Greatest show of my childhood

I was born in 1997 so i dont have a lot of memories from the Kanto region until the very end but every time i hear that theme song it brings back great memories. I have now watched most of the show now online and now i am starting to remember everything.

Personally i loved seasons 1-5 with misty the most because that is what i grew up early on with and i was devastated when misty left but i thought i should still give it a try.

Advanced generation i have more memories of because i wasnt as young then and i like may but not max. I also liked the idea of introducing contests to the tv show which added a new dimension to the show with out wrecking it. Season 9 sorta sucked for me not because of ash or brocks voices but because of may's, it got so high and irritating. But all in all i loved the advanced generation.

Moving on to diamond and pearl, i loved this series also but less than the previous ones. I didnt like the fact that Brock had the most minor of roles and that misty didnt appear and except for one little mention was all but forgotten. Paul was horrible but he added yet another dimension to the series and he ( unlike everyone else in the series) actually developed in like the last few episodes. All in all it was a good series but couldnt hold a candle to the original.

I didnt even watch black and white because it was such a screw up compared to the originals. I guess the real problem is how they add in so many legendaries and so many crappy characters that have no connection with the original.

If it were me i would stop following the games so much even if you had to split them. Following the games the way they do leaves no room for character or relationship development because they couldn't continue on the same way. They teased about each girl (especially dawn and misty) liking ash and being such a good match and then they completely cut it off like nothing happened. They should have ash go back to kanto up to sinnoh and travel with his old friends and actually develop as a character and create a relationship with a girl instead of going on like he never ages and never has a clue that every girl likes him. And have him go to different gyms than the originals and have him meet up with some of the other friends he made. If the terminates the show so be it just start off by telling the journeys through another characters point of view like misty's or gary's or brocks.

Sorry this was so long but i needed to get it out there
  • best tv series ever seen

pokemon is awesome. the way they take the story is brilliant. i think the ash shud not become younger. he shud always be the same. in each and every season they change the pokemon. for once i thot they are experimenting way too much. but later realised that those new pokemon itself is making it fresh again and again. the creativity they had bring out while team rocket tels their motto was outstanding esp in 3rd season. and if anyone tells that ash shud enter into a relationship, i disagree. for one this is made jus for kids and 2nd let it be for kids. pokemon is all abt friendship, whether its btw human or a human and pokemon. i also don think pokemon is repeating itself again and again but whn it comes to legendary pokemon stuff, i think that shud change. how abt normal thriller story jus like team rocket and the ghost train story. it didn contain legendary pokemon but still was awesome. the 3rd season involving paul was the ultimate. each and every episode was exiting. and the story btw them was shown beautifully. the way they battled out, paul using tactics against ash was worth watching. better than any other tv series. i look forward for further series. i hope they keep this new attacks and creativity moving on.

i jus wish he becomes the champion once. then he can concentrate both on champions league and other leagues. but sometimes i do feel he shud not bcum champion. that makes him running.

i also wish ash gets some rare pokemon. someone that noone has. whn i saw meloetta in black and white, i jus wished ash catch that pokemon.

but the worst of all is black and white series. hey.. what happened to black and white season? til 3rd season all were awesome. the way they showed the attacks were awesome. but in black and white the quick attack was the worst. and in addition the team rocket were shown as evil. in previous seasons in some episodes team rocket though evil are shown as caring each other. but in BW it wasnt. i think in BW they tested out in a whole different way by putting different stories in one season itself. well different from rest of seasons but cud hav done better.

on the whole i wish best of luck for pokemon. hope to keep this creativity goin
  • Makes no sence

The show has no direct story line and I dont even think that there is one. Sadly, the show was good but it probally lasted longer than it should have like Phineas and Ferb. The show just is`nt clear at all to me.
  • Its ok but it overstayed its welcome

Pokemon is a decent show but its just getting to old. The plots are repetitive and characters have no arc. Every season is the same. Travel,get a pokemon, fight the gym leader, and stop team rocket. Its repetitive. Team rocket is the worst villain group ever. The group's plan is always the same, steal the pokemon. Its been 500 episodes and they haven't gotten one. They are idiots. Ash is also an idiot and constantly gives up pokemon. At the end of one episode, he sends tons of his pokemon to professor oak's lab. Why? Shouldn't you have more pokemon if you want to win a battle. Also at the end of every season, he loses. He's the hero. Shouldn't he win at some point. I've also noticed that no one ages at all. Ash is still the same age he was at the beginning of the series and its been 500 episodes . Why hasn't Ash aged yet? Isn't his pikachu at least at level 100 now.

1/10. I'm sorry. Its just time to move on and end this show
  • POKEMON THE SERIES X AND Y

Make Ash get some interesting and rare pokemon
  • Pokemon

I love pokemon, I'm kinda obsessed with it. I'm 16. I love generation 1-4 (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh) 4th geberation is my favorite. The show is awesome. It always makes me cry the way they always give up their pokemon. Especially James from team rocket. Brock was my favorite character, and in the Unova region (5th generation) They killed him off to become a pokemon doctor. Not only that, but there are no pokemon whatsoever from any of the previous generations in Unova. They made Ash look so different from what we are used to, and he's going to look even different in whatever region X and Y takes place in. They changed it way too much. If Jesse, James, and Meowth are there, then that would be the only thing to connect Unova to the other gen. Also pikachu of course. It breaks my heart to be quite honest. I'm writing fan fiction about pokemon Platnium for my Creative Writing class, and I've beat the game many times, and I've been watching season 10-13 which is the Sinnoh region. And I'm almost done watching and I think I got too emotionally attached to it. That's why it pains me so much to see all these unnessisary changes. I disagree with everyone who says he should age. They purposly made it so he was the age of the target audience. So I guess It's kind of silly for me to have such an attachment to the show, but it's just so amazing seasons 1-13. Which is until it totally crashes and burns in Unova..
  • what whent wrong with pokemon?

First of all how is ash still ten he should be in is late teens. Pokemon was always a part of my life 15 and still love it. As the years whent by i watched and saw my childhood go downhill. The show just got lazy. OK yes they had good characters like Brock, Misty, May and Dawn ( am I the only one that thinks May and Dawn look alike. ) but thats about it and now they tooked them out and replaced it with crap. It repeats it self and the part you love are taken away like Butterfree, Primeape, Pigeot ect. Team Rocket needs to stop being stalkers and accept the fact that pikachu is off limits. The pokemon sadly need to stop before its too late. The game was fun all the way up too Soul Silver and Heart Gold, When i played black and white i was like WTF is this shit. They changed it way too much. It was not the classic fun way to play but this totaly new game plus the new pokemon where way too ugly. My heart is broken too know my bigest part of me is breaking apart. I will always love pokemon but they have reach rock bottom another few years and it will be all out of bisness. All this just too say the franchise needs to come to an end
  • pokemon rocks the house

i have missed a lot and and am thankful for the enternet and i have been able to catch up on the show and man when is ash going to grow up and not fall for team rocket plot every time right i mean its been what 16 seasons and dont get me worgn i love the show but he should be in his late teens and should have a girlfriend by now what happen to angie they would make a nice set right ? any way what is season 17 going to be about ? is ash going to see angie and what about misty and brock his friends and what about gary and paul will he see them once more ????
  • Just awesome. But...

Okay i'm a big fan of pokemon i've watched every single episode (even the banned ones) and i can say it's pretty cool. The story, characters and pokemon are wonderful. But, the worst thing about this series is that It repeats itself with Ash starting a new adventure, all of his skills and pikachu's power erases. 16 seasons and he has only won 1 league. People will pretty much get bored of it... stupid producers!
  • The Pokemon the Best Cartoon ever

This my friends is Pokemon, its a cartoon which is continued and unlike any other cartoon, this is cartoon is just reality, If u will watch this cartoon from the very start and understand it till the very know what i mean, MAN, this cartoon, I've been watching when i was 3 years old, but, it used to come on in English, that time i didn't knew English, Even tho i remember some scenes {of Pokemon like yesterday} when i used to watch. But things have changed when i came to knew Pokemon is on internet, now that i'm Educated and know English to its known level, i have watched Pokemon's all season from 1 to till PRESENT. I JUST WANT TO TELL U GUYS / FELLOWS / FRIENDS, Pokemon touches my heart very deeply, just as Ash thinks back how much he has traveled to come this far, as the music starts, i go mean, come on guys, u should able to know what i am For Life

I have created an account at www . pokemonbattlearena . net or u can just search it on Google as 'pokemon crater', believe me guys, if ur a pokemon fan like me, ur gonna love this game. its like your setting up for an adventure just like ASH
  • The original is AWFUL admit it!

People say that the original series was better, but what people don't realize is that the original was actually one of the worst shows made at the time or in ever. The show is horribly inaccurate to the games it's CLEARLY based off of and contradicts the games, rules and even itself at time and people who are new could assume that what they see on tv they can do in the show. That is nor the worst of it all of the characters in the show seem to have a joke on them and boy does it get old within the first 30 episodes and this show isn't even a comedy. They seemed more focused on making it funny rather than making it accurate to the game and trying to make Ash look like a big sore loser cheater in the show. Think about it is that a good hero, a person who calls everybody a cheater even though he HIMSELF breaks the rules and gets what he wants for free?! Just think about it and trust me this is the kind of show that when you get older and you look back, you realize that this show is so flawed that you almost wonder how this even got aired with all of the mistakes it made. Starting from Johto I would recommend, but the first and second seasons forget it! It just insults the intelligence in the audience with horribly repetitious jokes, plot holes, poor writing and unexplained nonsense. I mean come on Digimon was more true to it's original material, Power Rangers was more true to it's original material even shows like Megaman, Donkey Kong Country and Captain N the Game Master at least shows they researched the games their based off of and weren't THIS badly inaccurate to the original material. Not only that, but this show was actually one of the better cultural shows as the Japanese version taught people about some of Japan's culture and other interesting details, but then 4kids dubbed the series and inserted pop cultural references, Americanization, modern references and terrible puns. Even the Japanese screwed up on this show as this show is one of the most inaccurate shows to be based off the games and 4kids only made it even more unbearable. Trust me look up WTF Pokemon and look for the episodes Youko and Swordhunter made and you will see what was so wrong with the first season of the entire series. You can find their show on .
  • A great show

Pokemon finally back on good quality levels with the BW series.

ORIGINAL SERIES:Was the best timely classic..

AG:okay but not that great due to the show being on a decline here.

DP:Worst series ever, plus Dawn was ugly.

BW: A great series with Cilan and a sexy hot looking Iris.
  • I love Pokmon!

I love Pokemon Black and White. Cilan is hot! And he reminds me of Sonic the Hedgehog. I love seeing him shirtless. Even his brothers are cool! I think Iris is ugly. Ash is okay but people are getting tired of him. I disagree with what you people think.
  • redtr

dstfdtretret
  • Pokemon Series currently sucks !

3.5
    This are the messages I got from the Anime -

-1) An Underdog will always remain an underdog . They can dream big but at the end they will fail no matter how much they work for it !

-2) Friend held a trainer back ! A lot people complain about Ash no training in Unova But they failed to notice that Ash can't train enough because his friend keep dragging him to some Worthless adventure ! All other trainer who travel alone , Becomed more develop then Ash because they didn't had 2 sidekick holding them back !

-3) Hard Work & experience is worthless compare to a child prodigy ! Even a rookey Child prodigy will be 5 year ahead of an average hard working person . So if we got a same aged Child Prodigy as our rival then we should give up because we can't compete against a rookie child prodigy ! A Child Prodigy will beat us without even working hard for it .

-4) We shouldn't dream to becoming anything if we didn't born with the Talent ! Underdog like Ash will always be inferior to child prodigy & they will always fail So Kid shouldn't dream big like Ash without inborn talent Or They will become as pathetic & lame as Ash right now! Only those who born with inborn talent are worthy of Dreaming Big !

This are Message the Anime gives !

Ya Pokemon is for Kids

But Shugo Chara and Sgt Frog are also for Kids and even they has much better plot !

The only reason Pokemon Survive for up until now because of the Merchandise & Game .

The Anime stuff are so lazy that they doesn't even try working .

And They got so angry that People wanted them to be Creative about the Unova League that they purposely created the Worst League ever just to Punish Fans who wanted them to be creative !

As For selling Merchandise ,

Digimon Xros War had great Toy Sales even those the New Protagonist was a Child Prodigy and the show had a Mature plot .

Therefore , Pokemon Merchandise would decrease if The Anime had a Strong ,Smart & Developed Ash , Qualified Superior rival , Good Battle , Better Tournament , Better League and Better Story Plot .

Because , The best way to advertise Anime Merchandise is to Create the Best Story Plot for the Anime .

The Mistake is ''Best Wishs'' wasn't accidental !

Those Mistake were made on Purpose .

In other World , Pokemon Anime Director/Writer ruined the Whole series on Purpose

• Pokmon is a fine series and all, but...

Pokmon is one of the most popular shows in Japan and America. I'm not that old, so I wasn't around when the show premiered. I wasn't really interested in this show until about a year ago. I really liked it. Kanto was one of the greatest times in anime history. Orange Islands was very good, also. Even if it replaced Brock with Tracey, who is not that good. Johto was fine and all, but there was too much filler. But I managed to get all the way through it. I began the Hoenn league, but replacing Misty with May was just not a good idea. I didn't even finish Season 6 when I officially gave up. I took a peek and Sinnoh, however, and it didn't look too good. I tried out a little bit of Best Wishes!/Black and White, and it was Okay, but it just didn't feel like the Pokmon I know and love. Iris is not good, they replaced Brock with Cilan, and Team Rocket is wearing black outfits now. (I heard, however, they switched back to white). But still, I just don't think Pokmon is as good as it used to be.
  • my idea for a new pokemon season/series thing

I think that ash should travel in a new region but he will once again be tagged along by Dawn (the girl from the diamond and pearl series) but this time they will start to have a relationship with each other.
  • For the love of God, end it already!!!!!!!

Seriously, this show needs to end. Don't get me wrong, I grew up watching Pokemon, but Black and White really pisses me off and makes me wanna start a massacre. I mean, when is it gonna end? when is Ash gonna become a "pokemon master?" It gets on my nerves how in Black and White, they get rid of Brock. what's next, Ash is gonna abandon Pikachu? I like Pokemon, but Black and White gets on my nerves. he's been traveling for all these years and he's still 10.
  • A Once Humble and Entertaining Series-- Now a Shell of Its Former Self

Oh, Pokemon. I remember when everyone used to play it, and it brought kids and people of all ages such joy. Pokemon was the first anime series that I grew up with. It was a great one, and a show anyone of any age could enjoy. It brought people across the globe together, regardless of age, sex, religion, and race. We all anxiously awaited the next Pokemon episode. Our excitement was practically infectious and it spread everywhere!

Eventually the Pokemon fad ended around mid-2001, but it was still an extremely popular series and many fans still enjoyed the series. I myself loved the series with all my heart, and everything about it. From the light-hearted cheesiness, to its emotional moments, to its heart-wretching moments. The Original Series was incredible in the anime, and I loved Ash's journey in this arc. Advanced Generation was tough to get used to at first as Misty left, but May and Max grew on me and I loved the show in 2003-2006 despite Misty's departure (though I was saddened to see her go).

Now, here's when the series started to go downhill, with the Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon Special that aired on Kids WB and later CN. All the voices we had grown up with, the script writers, music composers, everything we fans had come to know and love over those 8 permanently not for the better. Kids' WB initially aired the series from 1998-2006, and so the show moving the CN was a bit of a disappointment, but not as much as the entire dub voice cast being replaced. Regardless, I still enjoyed the Battle Frontier Saga and the battles showcased in it.

Diamond and Pearl is when the show really started to lose it. Ash and Brock's dub voices got REALLY deep and gutteral, and didn't match their ages at all (Ash is 10; Brock is 15). Dawn wasn't as genuine or emotional as Misty or May, and Professor Rowan was a dull Professor. Professor Oak's dub voice also stayed terrible like it was in Battle Frontier. In other words, DP is when the dub and many of the characters became repetitive and a shell of their former selves. However, the Grand Festival and the Sinnoh League were very good, and I still found something I enjoyed in Sinnoh in the form of these two events.

Black and White is a mixed bag. A lot of people feel like it has solidified the fact the anime series is now a shell of its former self, but I feel it has brought back a lot of what made the show entertaining and enjoyable, along with some things I don't like, including Ash's regression.

I really recommend watching the '98-03 or '03-06 seasons, though, if anything. The '07+ seasons just don't have the same charm, love and entertainment into them as a whole. In short, Pokemon was once a classic, but now it's become a very milked series that doesn't have the charm it once had. Granted, it's not a bad show, but it's gone sharply downhill in recent years. Regardless, Pokemon will have a special place in my heart, and I always enjoy the older seasons (1-8) and would highly recommend watching those ones in particular. :D
  • Love The Games, Hate The Sho

In my opinion the Pokemon game franchise is the best of all time, But the TV Show is pretty awful. although i would recommend the Kanto seasons everything after that i would stay away from. Misty was awesome but once she left everything went downhill fast, The only Pro i have for this show is the charm of seeing your favorite Pokemon on TV Which saves this from being a rock bottom score
  • What's the purpose of watching a show that relies on the same thing again and again?

Like many kids in the 90s, I got caught in the Pokemon franchise. I played the games, collected the cards, and watched the show it was based on. The show stars Ash Ketchem, a 10 year old who starts his quest to become a pokemon master. Along the way he gets Pikachu, Misty and Brock and fight against Jesse, James, and Meowth, AKA Team Rocket. Seasons 1 and 2 were well done and had plenty of humor and variety, but in season 3, everything goes way downhill. For one thing, season 3 and beyond uses the same repetitive nonsense, travel, collect a pokemon, fight gym leader, do side quests, fight Team Rocket, repeat that same process and that's the show for you. The acting is not that great, I particularly don't like Ash's or Meowth's voices, Ash sounds like a girl and Meowth has a crummy New York accent for some reason, everyone else ranged from borderline acceptable to bad. The animation is downright repetitive, you can see that Ash and his friends pass the same landscapes again and again and the pokemon battles use the same fight scenes as well constantly. Team Rocket is easily the worst TV villains I have ever seen, they have plans to take pokemon but the plans have more holes in them then all the Swiss cheese in Switzerland and most of the time they rely on robots and their hot air balloon to escape, what they can't get cars? Why don't they get guns to shoot Ash and his friends and then take the pokemon? They also aren't bad guys and instead of actually trying to do something else with their lives, they keep coming back, why? In one episode, James has a mansion with a complete butler and maid staff to serve him and Jesse and Meowth, but he turns it down. Are you kidding me? Even Jesse and Meowth think it's a bad idea to leave, but they do anyway. They end up on easy street and give it up? What idiots. another problem is the Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny gag. Are we really supposed to believe that both of them have sisters or cousins? Either they are being clones or there is a group of people who become and act like one of them. Ash is also the stupidest protagonist, because he gives up his pokemon! Why, just why? He has a lot of powerful and good pokemon and he gives them up? Isn't a pokemon master supposed to catch every single pokemon? Speaking of pokemon, while in the first two seasons, the pokemon look cute, after season 3, they look ridiculous and seem to look more like regular animals now, even some of the names are terrible. I also was bothered by how Ash lost the tournament in the first season, he's the hero, he makes it to the big leagues and loses? On top of that, he gets the worst moral lesson, it's ok to lose as long as you're nice. Are you serious?!? What kind of lesson is that? I watched this show to see Ash struggle to the top and he fails and gets told a moral like that? That is one of the worse things in a TV show ever. I also notice that absolutely no one ages at all. Is everyone drinking from the fountain of youth? I also hated the lack of character depth, in one episode we learn the origins of Meowth and that's it. Couldn't they at lest give character backgrounds in Ash as to why he wants to be a pokemon master or why Jesse and James became members of Team Rocket? I could keep going on, but the bottom line is this: Pokemon WAS a good franchise, but now it has turned into a cash cow for businesses and it needs to end. Ash should be a pokemon master and pickachu should be raichu by now. They should at least get new characters and remove Ash and Team Rocket, that would make the show probably more watchable. I urge people out there, please do not watch this show and just play the games instead of watching this. Pokemon was a great show, but it has overstayed its welcome. It just no longer works, the plots are repetitive, the characters are flat, the villains are as threatening as a used tissue, the logic makes no sense, and it uses the same premise over and over again. I am sorry if you like the show, but this show has long lived past its prime and what charm it had long ago, is now in shambles and has no more substance. The only way I could watch this show again is get rid of all the characters and bring in new ones, then maybe I would watch it. Before any of you thumb me down, just take into consideration what I said. This show is dead and buried, so please stop resurrecting it and making it even worse.
  • Goodness, how long has the Pokemon anime been running for? And where are Misty and Brock?

3.5

Like many other kids in the late 90s/early 00s, I got caught up in the Pokemon fad. (Well, technically, my older brother got me into it, but still...) I played the games, collected a few of the cards, and I watched the anime series it was based off. The anime is now a long runner, with 14 seasons as of this review, but... was it really worth carrying on with it in the end?

The Pokemon anime starts off with a young boy named Ash Ketchum, who leaves his home of Pallet Town, with dreams of becoming a Pokemon Master. Along the way, he meets and befriends many different people and Pokemon, while having to fight Team Rocket, who constantly try to steal his Pikachu and the Pokemon of the week. In the first two seasons (the Kanto and Orange Islands arcs), the premise was executed well, with decent plots each episode, good humour, well-developed characters, well-choreographed battles, and great villains. However, by the third season (the Johto arc), the show entered seasonal rot. Plots became repetitive, with Ash and co. travelling, finding Pokemon, doing some side quests, gettting gym badges, fighting Team Rocket, and rinse-repeat. The sluggishness wore on, until the breaking moment in which Misty left the show, being replaced with May in the Hoenn arc. At this point, I realised that it wasn't worth carrying on with the anime, so I stopped watching it. And when I did watch a new episode, I simply changed the channel after the first part.

The characters aren't as likable as they used to be. Ash has no personality anymore, and is just your generic shonen anime hero, who for some reason, always gives up his Pokemon before he enters a new region. Brock has now been written out of the show. The female replacements also get annoying, with May being somewhat tolerable, and with Dawn being an utter idiot. They aren't as memorable as Misty. Team Rocket are a shadow of their former selves, and they can't capture Pokemon to save their lives. Why do they still try, even though they fail all the time?

The voice acting is also now poor. Ash sounds too feminine and Meowth has a rubbish New York accent for some odd reason. The other characters' voices ranged from passable to bad.

The humour is bland. The gags involving the Nurse Joys and Officer Jennys, and with Brock falling in love with every pretty girl he met (when he was still in the show) aren't funny anymore. They've been run into the ground.

The animation and art style are decent, but repetitive. You can tell they're just walking past the same woods and mountains they've passed through before, and sometimes, the animation becomes stiff. The battles also get boring, with almost-similar choreography in every episode.

Overall, Pokemon was good while it lasted, but it's now stale. Changing the main cast every arc obviously didn't work. I'm sorry to anyone who is still watching the show, but it's way past its prime, and has lost all its original charm. Just watch the Kanto and Orange Islands arcs and forget the rest.

• I remember this show

I liked it. Ash is a Pokemon Trainer. His friends are Misty and Brock. I feel sorry for Misty being afraid of bugs. I don't blame her. Brock is a girl crazy. He acts like a ladies man. XD His enemy is Gary Oak. Gary is so jealous with Ash. Because I know Ash is a good Pokemon trainer. My favorite Pokemon is eevee. He or she is so cute.
< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10