Poker After Dark Forums

Daily 2:00 AM on NBCIn Season

What's the most irritating thing about this show?

bill__b

[1]May 18, 2007
    • level: 4
    Watching poker being played on TV is worse than watching golf being played either on TV or in person. Even when there are six fairly good looking women playing (as they are now), the constant cutting and ECU shots are distracting in their obvious attempt to put spark into a basically dull process. Dull to spectators, that is. What stake do I have in the outcome?

As far as the production goes, it is also irritating to have the announcer (not a particularly witty or sonorous voiced commentator) mention the players by their first names and listed on screen by their last names. He's being better in this series about reciting full names than I remember from the first time I saw the show. And what is the purpose of Shawna (?) Hiatt? Oh, I know why she's there, but why is she needed? A one-question "interview" every 20 minutes is hardly enough justification for her presence. My guess is that she's a friend of the producer, eh?

At least the ladies in this show are not all sporting the full tilt game uniforms. Maybe they're not all affiliated with the site? It just reminds me of how tiresome the same string of tilted commercials being played at EVERY break is getting. Come play for free? Sure, folks, ever heard of the expression "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch?" It applies to poker websites as well.

But, by far, the most irritating thing is the constant claim that they are playing for $120,000 after having put up $20k of their own. That means that they are playing for $100k and have paid $20K for the privilege. You can be sure that the winner does not tell the IRS that they have won $120,000, even if they are scrupulously honest.

Why post this here? Good question. Maybe I'll just cut and paste into my blog instead. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

crazy4metallica

[2]May 31, 2007
    • level: 15
    I actually enjoy watching poker played on tv as i am a huge poker player. I agree with a lot of what you say, this isn't the greatest poker show on tv.

As for your question about what stake you have in the outcome. What stake do you have in the outcome of any sport or reality show or anything on tv for that matter?

As for the free lunch statement, I play poker online all the time and i have not payed a single penny. So obviously you can play there for free.

Rastamo

[3]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 11
    u must play poker to like this show otherwise it's perfectly normal to hate it.
    This is a great show because the players are professionals and they play 6 players tournament.

Dark-Messenger

[5]Aug 10, 2007
    • level: 9
    Yeah, I really didn't like the show when it first started, but over the summer after leaving college I learned to play Poker online, Full Tilt to be precise. Now I watch the show religiously, and love the commercials.

urkiddinme

[6]Nov 4, 2007
    • level: 3
    compared to High Stakes Poker, this looks like kindergarten recess. I bet all of them get paid at least $20k by NBC to show up, so maybe that's where "play for free" comes in. and to answer the original question, its a tossup for the most annoying part between a) Shawna's opening to the show, b) Shawna's mid game interviews, or c) Shawna's closing to the show.

Dark-Messenger

[7]Jan 1, 2008
    • level: 9
    urkiddinme wrote:
    compared to High Stakes Poker, this looks like kindergarten recess. I bet all of them get paid at least $20k by NBC to show up, so maybe that's where "play for free" comes in. and to answer the original question, its a tossup for the most annoying part between a) Shawna's opening to the show, b) Shawna's mid game interviews, or c) Shawna's closing to the show.

Ha, I agree with everything you said. I watch what I can of HSP on Youtube nearly daily, and PAD has nothing on it. Only thing I would improve about the show is getting some real announcers, like A.J. Benza and Gabe Kaplan lol.

GarrisonSkunk

[8]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 27
    I for one have never played Texas Hold 'em, but I enjoy this series. I had in the past seen the World Series of Poker specials on ESPN as well as the Celebrity Poker show they had on Bravo with Dave Foley, and find this the most enjoyable version of the three. I like that you get to know the personalities of the players over the five nights and develop people that you root for or against. My first exposure to the series was the episode in which Phil Helmuth stormed away from the table for about six hands after complaining that people were talking while he was trying to consider his options. It was interesting to hear the others discuss Phil and the event as they played on in his absense. I like hearing the little conversations going on between those that have folded. I know they do this intentionally - a few weeks ago someone even said "Hey, its TV, you gotta talk."- but it works when its someone interesting like Doyle. I agree the first name/last name thing is confusing, especially the week there were two Phils playing - even the other players sometime would say to one another "Which Phil are you referring to?". I get to know the players on this show, and it increases my enjoyment when I see them on ESPN and other outlets.

-TheDeadMan-

[9]Apr 13, 2008
    • level: 20
    i watch it for the players. mostly for my favs like Hellmuth/Chan/Brunson

kdmac67

[10]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    The nice thing is, the fact that they don't cut out hands (maybe a few, if it runs too long 5 episodes), but for the most part every hand is shown. So you get to see how players react everytime. WSOP only shows the hands where there is a clash. Some WSOP final tables can last over 10 hours, and they cut it down to one or two, 1 hour episodes. You see the whole thing on PAD. The production is not as good as the others because this is not a prime-time show. But the stories you get to here from Doyle, Daniel, etc. well make up for it. Fact is, only hardcore poker players like this better then the others ones out there. P.S. watching Celebrity Poker is like getting hot repeatedly with a sack of oranges. It's too terrible to even watch 2 minutes of.