Pole Position

CBS (ended 1985)

Pole Position Fan Reviews (2)

6.6
  • Use formula Racers, Not formulaic Writing.

I did and still do enjoy this show, enough to animate a short "Where are they now?" tribute to the characters (still in concept art stage).

I even put the intro on a Cartoon Intros CD I burned recently, and occasionally play it in the car when on the highway (I recommend trying it at least once... but I'd try to go easy on the gas :) )

For some reason that intro still gets me pumped to watch the episodes... but just minutes later the excitement fades. For me it has everything to do with the storywriting.

Because it's a kids' show from the eighties, I guess that the CBS network didnt want teens engaged in violent acts like punching out the bad guys especially in front of their nine year old sister. I get that kind of thing.

Another reviewer up there mentioned that Michael Reeves said the show was to have the kids travel across the world in exotic locales- to discover clues that shed light on their parents' disappearance.

That would've made it more exciting.

(by the way, Roy_stantz, thanks for the note on Reeves' info. And also, Lisa Lindgren, the voice of Tess, died of cancer in 2005- 5 years after Marilyn Scheffler did. I like your VA cast suggestion. You're right, Kuma and Daisy were kidnapped too much. That gets to be boring really quick).

The reason I didn't rate it higher is for the complexity of the challenge. There were several episodes (actually most) that suffered either from a McGuffin plot device, bad guys who were too incompetent, or both. There were a few episodes that I found were actually good that are worth watching repeatedly ( including Episodes 1 "The Code" , 6 " The Thirty One Cent Mystery" , 13 "The Trouble With Kuma" ), with the rest being fair or just plain boring.

So, I welcome Pole Position back.

Just make better premises, or in this show's case, stick To the original premises of the show.
  • 80's saturday mornings

5.2
    they only made about a dozen episodes of this show. but they replayed them over and over throughout the 80's. it was a pretty cool show the first year. but the same thing over and over, it got old. i do not remember the premise of this show, i just remember the two cars.