Police Squad!

ABC (ended 1982)

Gislef

Police Squad! Fan Reviews (18)

• Police Squad! was ahead of its time in that there was no laugh track nor a studio audience, and the actors do not indicate when to laugh as they play their parts in complete deadpan.

Police Squad! was a hilarious but short-lived tv series from the minds of the creators of Airplane! and The Naked Gun. In fact, The Naked Gun bases its main character and comedy stylings, as well as some sight gags, from this series.

Each episode has a different opening, with the stars of the show being fired at and them turning around and firing back, sometimes with people that aren't even in the show! They have a guest star every episode, and they always get killed in the opening. Each episode also has two titles, one that is on-screen like a title and one that pops up underneath it like an explanatory subtitle, only the two titles are both completely unrelated.

The humor in the show to be honest is too smart for the average TV viewer. You have to be paying attention to get a lot of the gags, and this works for movies because you're stuck sitting there in a dark room looking straight at a screen. Many of the gags are sight gags (i.e. police carrying a corpse out of a doorway in the background, and it is incredibly long) or like pun gags (i.e. Leslie Neilsen catches the bad guy, turns around and says "Seargants take her away and book her." and then two police officers walk up and he shakes the first one's hand "Sgt. Takeheraway", and the second one "Sgt. Booker") It's an extremely funny, smart show ("Cigarette?" "Yes, I know."), and you have to get the humor to get the jokes. I can see why it fared poorly in the ratings, because most people don't want to think when they get home and watch tv.

Police Squad! was ahead of its time in that there was no laugh track nor a studio audience, and the actors do not indicate when to laugh as they play their parts in complete deadpan. I highly recommend this show to anyone who likes the Zuckers' other creations, and if you haven't seen THOSE, maybe you should check them out.
  • It was a short-lived show that packed a punch.

A very funny short lived show with sight gags and deadpan humor that still holds up 20 years later. Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin is incredibly funny, with his partner, Alan North as Sgt. Ed Hocken.
    Police Squad was a show you had to watch or you missed a whole lot. There are so many sight gags that you will miss a lot of them the first few time you watch the show. The titles of the episodes don't fit the narration. Nielsen's own narration is a satire of the old Dragnet series. The guest star each week is murdered in the opening scene. The ending credits, everyone would freeze, or try to while the credits rolled.

Police Squad was made by the same people responsible for the Airplane movies. The writing is superb, and it was a shame that only 6 episodes were made.

• A short lived series that gave enough laughs for a lifetime

This is a series that will never have an equal. I don't think you could pull a show like this off now. My only wish was that there would have been more episodes of this show, but somehow I think it would be almost impossible to keep this show as funny as it was and stretch it across a 22 episode season. I can only hold out hope that someday this series makes it to DVD.
  • So much fun!

Made by the same guys from the Airplane movies, this very short-lived TV show was the precursor to the Naked Gun movies and I must say I enjoyed it more. While the movies followed the same format (lots of sight gags and ridiculous dialogue), there were some features in it that didn't make it to the big screen.

I really liked the character of Johnny, the shoe shine man. He seemed to be the smartest man on Earth, able to answer any question put to him. Frank Drebin (Leslie Neilsen's character) would go to Johnny and ask questions about cases he was working on. Johnny would say "well, I don't know anything about that...," and after Drebin slipped him some money, Johnny would give him the most minute of details, including evidence in some cases. Celebrities would always hop up on the chair after Frank left. I loved the time Dick Clark asked Johnny about this new form of music the kids were talking about called "ska."

Another fun feature to the show were the "freeze frames" at the end. The guys would be talking in the station (and mention each criminal from previous eisodes, which was another feature) and instead of a real freeze frame while the credits rolled, they just stood still. The reactions around them were always interesting.

I wish the show had lasted longer, but for what there was, we got a ton of laughs in a short amount of time!
  • A family favorite when I was a kid.

My parents taped every episode of this very short-lived show when it originally aired. Thank goodness, too, because back then in the pre-tivo, pre-DVD days, there was no telling when we'd ever get the chance to see the show again once it got cancelled. My brothers and I watched that tape until it practically fell apart. Hilarious stuff, and every time you watch it, you're bound to catch a gag you may have missed during previous viewings. Leslie Nielsen is fabulous in the role he reprised in the Naked Gun movies. Make an effort to watch this show if you like the Airplane!/Naked Gun type humor. You won't regret it!
  • Great show; many great laughs.

This show is the best programme in the history of T.V.... probably!
    It is just amazing. The amount of jokes squeezed into each episode is phenominal. Quite why the network would only produce six episodes (and only screen four) is beyond me.
    The humour is fantastic. It is very surreal at times and somewhat similar to the humour found in "The Goon Show", but I feel that the script is tighter, so it's better.
    The great thing is that as well as just having lots of jokes, there was always a good storyline to go with it.
    Among some of the better jokes are the regular ones. For instance, in the credits, it would always credit "Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln", then show Lincoln being shot in the back before turning around to fire back. There was always a different special guest star who would only appear in the credits, wherein they would be killed. Also, each episode would have two titles: one was displayed in graphics and one that was spoken, so that it appeared that the narrator had got it wrong.
    All in all, just a great show. Now all we need is to see it released as a great DVD set!!!
  • Police Squad!: In Color

Police Squad!: In Color

This is one of the most underrated shows ever, Leslie Nielsen has always been a personal favorite of mine, he plays the role of deadpan Lt. Frank Drebin perfectly, I dont think this show would be anywhere near as good if it did not have leslie nielsen in it. Alan north also does well in his role as Captain Ed Hocken.
    If you like this show then you have to check out,
    Airplane, The Naked Gun series and Top Secret! these are all directed and writing by the same people who created this, David Zucker, Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrahams.
  • hehehe, Police Squad is really funny.

I saw an episode of Police Squad and was like, what the heck is this. After watching about three minutes of it I thought it was stupid. Well than I said I am going to watch another three minutes and it got better. With Police Squad you can't wait for jokes you have to look for them. After realizing that I started laughing at everything that happens on it. I have never seen Airport or the Naked Gun but after watching all 6 episodes and enjoying them all very much I think I am going to have to. If you like silly humor and enjoy spoofs this is a good series for you.
  • A short-lived, funny comedy that never quite caught on with the general public. The fact that a show this great only lasted 6 episodes is a shame. There was never anything quite like it on TV ever again. Here's hoping for the rumored 2006 DVD release.

A comedy spoof series in the vein of Airplane! and the Naked Gun. The original run of the show on ABC spawned only 6 episodes, leaving fans like myself sorely disappointed. This disappointment was with the quantity, however, not the quality. The hilarious, blink-and-you-miss-it jokes of this series are comic gold and should definitely be mined by more people. The amazing performance by Leslie Nielsen as Frank Drebin is flawlessly executed. The only consolation you can really find is the Naked Gun movies that spawned from it. Get out there to your local video store and give the a try if you haven't already.
  • Loved it, want to buy it

Lots of shows are coming back from the dead, can\'t wait to see if this show ever does.

I would buy the crap out of this DVD!

Liked the airplane and naked gun movies, but it would be GREAT to get a hold of these.

I have kids, and they could watch these, I am sure my older son would love it!

Can't say the same for the naked gun movies, what with the dildo on a jack-hammer bits and all.

• Leslie Neilson of "Airplane" fame played Lt. Frank Drebin of "Police Squad" & would later play the same character in the "Naked Gun" movies with much more success.

The prodcers were comming off a winning streak with the \"Airplane\" movies in 1982 & ABC wanted to capitlize on that. Unfortunately, the attention span to watch it this kind of humour on TV just wasn\'t there in 1980\'s. I think today the concept would find a much more appreciative audience. Hey, let\'s get this show released on DVD, it\'s only 6 episodes. Love those closing credits!!!!!!!!!! PS. Special Thanx to Quinn Martin & Abe Lincoln!! PSS. tvshowsondvd.com confirms "Police Squad" coming to DVD on November 7, 2006. It's about time!!!!
  • Coffee? Yes it is I love this show how can you not, it so silly and dumb it makes you forget everything and just laugh.

Leslie Neilson rules, on this show and in the movie Naked Gun, which most know is based on this show. I liked the episode when they were fighting behind the trash can, and they were firing their guns at each other and they were inches apart, you gotta love it. There of course are the sayings like above Coffee? and then the other person says yes it is. There are alot of good gags that they did on the show that was classic. I never saw the show when it originally aired, or at least I don't remember it from then because I was like 5 years old, but I have watched it since and it is timeless comedy, from timeless comedians.
  • "Naked Gun: From the Files of Police Squad!" Never thought of it too much until I discovered ths series.

As a fan of the Naked Gun movies I was thrilled to discover there was a shortlived series that inspired the movies and Frank Drebin is just as entertiaing as he is in the movies themselves with his terrible driving skills and slow mind.

The freeze frame parodies that end the episodes are a brilliant idea and really sum up the feel of the show - slapstick and clever. Unfortunately, the latter caused this show to be cancelled since it is clear that you need to pay attention to the show to get a lot of jokes.

Overall, I'd say this show is very good for it's time and is a very memorable program.
  • One of the funniest tv shows ever.

This show is the progenitor of the naked gun trilogy. This show is a spoof of 70s cop shows. It's so funny, at the end of each show the actors holds their positions pretending that the camera have a frozen show when in fact it is still filming. It's so funny, you can get a good laught by watching this show. The jokes are hilarious, you're just waiting for the next punchline to come. This type of show is rarely duplicated today, this show is a true classic. If you loved watching the naked gun movies, you'll surely enjoy this show.
    This is the brief series that lead to the NAKED GUN trilogy. Leslie Nielsen gets to play madman with all the delicious relish he can bring to the part of the straight-faced detective.
    The stories are parodies of all the very, very, very serious and very, very, very important police and crime shows on TV over the years. Nothing escapes the satiric bashing that goes on here. The guest stars each week are murdered in the opening scene and then are never heard of again. The titles of the episodes don't fit the narration. Nielsen's own narration is a wonderful satire of all the crime story voice-overs going back to film noir and DRAGNET. And -- wonder of wonders -- the show is "In Color!"
    No pun goes un-punned. No sight-gag is left un-gagged. Nothing is spared. Imagine the Marx Brothers and Three Stooges in a crime movie setting, and that gives you a hint of what POLICE SQUAD is all about. This is one of the funniest shows ever made for TV, but since it is satire, it of course had only a short run. Nevertheess, I loved it.
  • Very funny and not too bad of a cop show, give it a shot.

A pretty good cop show. Very funny. If this is a show that you do not normally watch and you are sitting at home with nothing to do, you are going to wish you had it on tape. Having it "on tape" had become the generic term for recorded programs. Today you are more likely to have the show on Tivo or DVR than VHS, or god forbid Beta!! It is kind of like how a lot of people still call CD's "records" or "albums." Anyway, back to the show. This is the type of show that is really pretty good if you would just give it a chance. So on those cold, lonely, rainy days, pop in your tape or DVR or whatever if you were smart enough to tape it. If not, check to see if it is on as a re-run. After all, as they say, if you have never seen it, it is new to you. Not too bad of a cop show, give it a shot. A very funny show.
  • They got "cop show" in my "sitcom"!!

Police Squad! is the short-lived comedy series that ran on ABC first in 1981 & then after the popularity of the Naked Gun movies in the Summer of 1992 on CBS.

This wacky show parodies all those sundry police shows that were on network TV one time or another. The main stars of the show were Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin & his boss Capt. Ed Hocken played by Alan North.

The reason this show didn't last very long was its rapid-fire delivery of sight gags that to the average viewer was pretty much confusing.

A pity really, since this was way funnier than all those other so-called sitcoms that were strewn about the small screen during that year for this series' brief run.
  • Cancelld way way way way way too early

It is sad that decent shows like this got the boot while shows that were much worst managed to outlive this one. Thats all I can say.