Posh Nosh

BBC Two (ended 2004)

Posh Nosh Fan Reviews (2)

7.1
  • A cooking show brought to you by the BBC. Join the hosts, Simon and Minty Marchmont, owners of the very chic Quill and Tassel restaurant--where beards are not allowed and wine is compulsory.

A friend just sent me a link to clips of this show on youtube. I greedily ate up all eight 10 minute episodes (if you have realplayer you can watch them off the BBC website). The wonderful British ability to laugh at their own stereotypes comes out in full force in these little vignettes of snobish cooking--where the vegetables are embarrassed, skinned fish is ready when it is thoroughly ashamed, a good Riesling should be enjoyed young (like a school boy), and the wine tastes like petrol--not the pathetic unleaded stuff, but good old-fashioned four star.

This is exactly the type of show that American Television sadly lacks. Something done for no other reason than that it is just so damn funny!

So grab your heirloom cooking utensils, grab your thesaurus, and prepare to laugh!
  • The show is a satire of various cooking shows and fun; some of the dishes at least sound yummy, even if I wouldn't eat them.

I love the puncturing this short show gives everything it aims to deflate! From the chicken, whom they adopted (and recieved letters from!) to their friends and dogs, the Marchants, Simon and Minty, try to bring a bit of culture to us , the unwashed masses.

Richard E. Grant's Simon is just so casually mean to Minty you have to wonder why he married. Arabella Weir's Minty, a publican's daughter done good classwise, seems sweet enough and deals with the crap simon heaps on her with reasonable aplomb and gets some of her own back from time to time.

Chris Langham is a genius at the slow-burn lines and the stealth situation that has you wondering if you heard right. Like his People Like Us,Mr. Langham has twisted around an aspect of pop culture and taking it to a comic extreme.

Ms. Weir is credited as having the concept of the show and I, for one, thank her for it; it's a great idea done well.

Due to some of the double entendres and subject matter,I feel okay recommending this to teen and older audiences.

edited for spelling