Postman Pat

BBC Two (ended 2008)

TesserT

Postman Pat Fan Reviews (4)

7.3
  • A classic series which I loved as a little kid, following the adventures of Postman Pat and his black and white cat.

This show is a personal old school favourite of mine. I loved it as a little kid, and still enjoy it today, as I do with most shows I liked when I was little, for pre-school shows in the 80's are better than the silly nonsense we get today. This show is about Pat Clifton, a postman living the the village of Greendale. He drives around the village, delivering the post to the villagers, in his bright red post van, with his loveable black and white cat, Jess, at his side. Every now and then though, a problem usually occurs, and Pat must sort it out, at the same time, trying to deviler the post on time. There's a wide range of characters in this series. As well as Pat and Jess, there's Ted Glen, who is Greendale's handyman, Alf and Dorothy Thompson who are the farmers of Thompson Ground. The Reverend Timms, Miss Hubbard, Granny Dryden, PC Arthur Selby, Dr Sylvia Gilbertson, Mrs Goggins, who is the Post Mistress and Sarah and Julian Clifton, who are Pat's wife and son.

Like most old-school TV shows that were made in the 80's, Postman Pat has been given a make over, changing from the old version. I much prefure the old moments which I grew up with. However, the new version has it's good moments though. It is close to the old version, unlike some of the good old-school shows such as Thomas The Tank Engine & Friends and Fireman Sam, which have changed dramatically from their old versions. At least the new version of Postman Pat kept the same classic theme tune.

Speaking of the theme tune, that's another thing I like about the show. I really like the theme tune, which I can't resist singing along to when I heard it:

"Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat.

Early in the morning,
    Just as day is dawning,
    He picks up all the post bags in his van.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat.

All the birds are singing,
    And the day is just beginning,
    Pat feels he's a really happy man.

Everybody knows his bright red van,
    All his friends will smile as he waves to greet them,

Maybe, you can never be sure,
    There'll be 'Knock', 'Ring',
    Letters through your door.

Postman Pat, Postman Pat, Postman Pat and his black and white cat.

All the birds are singing,
    And the day is just beginning,

Pat feels he's a really happy man.

Pat feels he's a really happy man."

So, in all, Postman Pat is a great old school show, which I still enjoy watching today. I like to watch it to take a trip down memory lane and it would be a show I'd recommend to parents who are wondering what kind of show do they think their children might like.