Power Rangers Forums

Saturday 12:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

Power Rangers Forum rules, submission guide & FAQ (READ THIS BEFORE POSTING!

SirStack

[1]Apr 16, 2006
    • level: 52

First, as with every forum on the TV.com site, you should be acquainted with their own Terms of Service and Forum Rules.

-READ THE EPISODE GUIDE. See that link up there that says "episodes"? It is your friend.

-If there are more than four notes on a guide page, click on the "All (episode title) Notes" link. 9 times out of 10, there's other notes hidden normally.

-If you don't like Power Rangers, you'd do a lot worse to the show by not saying anything and never posting to the forum than you would by posting how much you hate the show. Seriously, nothing makes fans rally more than someone dissing, and it also keeps everyone's blood pressure down by keeping apart to begin with.

-Discussion of Sentai belongs in the Sentai forum. It can be found at the Super Sentai guide.

-Be respectful to others. You don't have to love every season, but if you're going to harp on hating some, at least back up your comments with intelligent criticism. If you can't praise your favorite season or character without putting down another season or character, it's better if you just keep quiet to begin with.

-Be careful with major spoilers, especially those gleaned from advanced info off of Sentai storylines. Once an episode debuts in the US, it's fair game for discussing, but still keep from putting big revelations in subject lines for at least a year after that episode has aired (to give it time to run in the UK, if ever!)

-Don't ask where to download episode, and if anyone does ask, don't tell them. Yes, file sharing exists and is important for keeping the older shows in circulation (something Disney is horribly inept on). But it's still illegal, and since TV.com is so darn serious about legality of fair practice things like even screenshots, it's best to search for other sites to find this info.

-Please use the spell check function. It's nearly impossible to treat a person seriously when they can't be bothered with being understood. When it comes to spelling names of characters from the show, check the cast list or the episode guide. The editor and past contributors have strived to make sure the correct spellings have been used (at least more frequently and in more prominent places than the errors, which tend to appear in things like older quotes).

-Fanfics have their place... just not here. Speculation about future storylines are welcome, but in-depth inventions of stories of your own making would really qualify as fanficking.

-No one associated with the show posts here, nor has ever done so.

-Stay on topic. Discussions about PR actors is fine, but discussions about other TV shows isn't. They have their own forums, I assure you.

-No elimination games. Same goes for "word" games of any kind. You want to play, remember that big, beautiful world outside.

-Try not to echo previous threads. Take a quick look at the forum to be sure nobody's discussing an episode or a topic before starting one.

-Don't revive old threads. If they're not on the first page, they're not worth reviving in that form. It's okay, then, to make a new topic on something that's not on the first page.

-Please keep our "ool" clean. You'll notice there's no "P" in it, and we'd like to keep it that way.

-I should note, it's not like I'm making up these rules now all of a sudden. They've been in effect for as long as TV.com's been around, I'm just making clear what gets deleted, what gets locked, and why.

_Other Questions:_

Q: Why don't you not list "Mystic Fate" as original air dating on Novmember 4?!?!?
    A: Because, as it says in the end credits to each and every episode of PR, the show's country of origin is the USA. It's where the show is intended to primarily be broadcasted, and it's where the show's direct funding comes from. There have been times when episodes have aired in other countries first, Canada has gotten an ep first twice, and now Jetix UK has gotten "Mystic Fate" 1 & 2 more than a week ahead of the US. Even if, as a fake example, Peru got every episode exactly one day before the US, this guide would list first US air dates, because it is the show's country of origin. Many TV shows made for the US have aired first in other countries (Charmed and Justice League), and their guides usually have the same rule, stick to country of origin.

Q: Why aren't the episodes in the right order on the guide?
    A: Because, as per TV.com's rules, episode guides are supposed to reflect the original airing order. Episodes are not always run in the proper order they're meant to be seen. And sometimes, they're not meant to be seen in any order, and are aired that way! I've recently adjusted the guide to better reflect proper order in the biggest cases of "airing order just can't work, no way, no how". Those episodes are: "Food Fight" (aired as the second ep simply because Fox Kids liked the story idea and wanted to hype the show's potential up better in its preview slot), "A Season to Remember" (the stuff within the flashbacks has no choice but to take place earlier in the season than where it first aired), "Snip It, Snip It Good" (was only pushed back due to reshoots, and doesn't make any sense in its aired position), "Impact" (has to follow "History"), and "Wormhole" (has to be after Morgana became Mora again, but before "Resurrection").

Submission Guide section:

Overview: When submitting items, make sure proper names of people, places, and even things are capitalized. For instance, "Red Ranger" is acceptable, but "red ranger" isn't. "Megazord" is right, "mega zord" is wrong, "MegaZord" is also wrong, while "Zord" is right if not connected to another word. "Morphed" is right, "morphed" is probably okay, maybe.

Keep opinions to yourself, and by "to yourself", we mean on the Forums or Reviews, not the episode guide. You may find an episode to be the worst ever, but that's not worth submitting as part of the guide since the guide is not you, it's a gross conglomeration of facts and events concerning a television show. It should be unbiased.

"Summary": Should be very brief, covering the basic plot of the episode and any major subplots. This should not give away the complete plot.

"Recap": A basic play by play retelling of the events of the episode. Reveal everything known, but don't include quotes. Also, try to consult the cast list and other notes for correct spelling of character and item names. If you don't know the spelling of something, let the Editor know and he will help you with this. But don't expect him to run a spell check for you, that's your responsibility as a writer.

"Notes": Though for as long as this guide has existed, this used to mean "everything notable about this episode", now TV.com's policy whip has been cracked. Which means from now on, notes are only for "off-camera" aspects of an episode. That means stuff like additional airdate information, changes to opening credits, changes of show seasons... Essentially stuff that merely involved production and broadcast related things. This includes variations concerning cast that can't be covered in the cast list, such as an actor "appears but does not speak", "is voice-only" (if they aren't a monster, of course), or "does not appear Morphed/Unmorphed".

"Trivia": Unlike how this guide used to do things, this is now where EVERYTHING on-screen related goes. It used to just be for goofs or mistakes, but now, it includes general notable things about this episode (NOT merely a recapping of the plot). Stuff that isn't indicated via the cast list, like first and final appearances of weapons/vehicles, etc. Continuity references to previous seasons or events earlier in the season (NOT someone bringing the audience up to speed on what happened in the immediate previous episode). And please, DO write in full sentences. "Debut of such and such" is no longer acceptable as a submission. Flesh it out to be something like "This episode features the debut of such and such." If you find a trivia blurb listed that you feel is in error, DO NOT "reply" to it, merely have it removed and explain why it's not a mistake in the comments section of the submission.

"Quotes": Memorable lines from the episode. Must be formatted according to the guidelines laid out on the submission form. Actions should be in italics. Try to keep the quotes brief, not whole transcriptions of scenes. If a bunch of characters say, "Ready!" or shout their colors, and then a monster says something funny, we really only need to know his line, and perhaps an action regarding to whom he's referring to and in what context.

"Allusions": References to real world or other TV show events. The mentioning of a celebrity, or a parody voice of one, for instance. This shouldn't be used to reference events in other episodes, that kind of info should go into "Trivia".

Why was my submission rejected?
    Submissions are rejected if they are wrong, full of spelling and grammatical errors, pointless, submitted in the wrong section, and/or don't follow the above rules.

Edited on 05/04/2009 10:25am
    Edited 21 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KyL416

[2]Apr 16, 2006
    • level: 56
    Some more FAQ items regarding Power Rangers airingss, and some scheduling questions:

Q: Where did Power Rangers go on ABC Kids?
    A: Haim Saban purchased the rights to the Power Rangers franchise from Disney and sold the US distribution rights to Nickelodeon. The last ABC Kids airing was on August 28, 2010.

Q: Will there be a new season?
    A: Yes Power Rangers Samurai.

Q: When will Power Rangers start airing on Nickelodeon
    A: Samurai debuted on February 7, Previous seasons will air at somepoint in the near future on Nicktoons.

Q: What about Nickelodeon Canada, Latin America and/or Europe?
    A: The deal was only with Nickelodeon US, the international rights are with Marvista Entertainment who will be shopping the show around to various networks internationally. The only confirmed pickups are Nickelodeon Canada and Teletoon French for Samurai and Teletoon Retro for previous seasons. In Mexico Televisa picked it up. No European deals have been announced yet.

Q: Why does the main page say the show airs weekdays at 7:30am on Fox?
    A: The admins at TV.com decided to force us to put the show's original time slot in that area instead of putting the time slot and network where the show currently airs. Yes, we know it would benifit the casual browser to see the current time and channel for new episodes, and we agree with that as well, so if you have a problem with that, take it up with the TV.com staff.

Q: But my Fox affiliate aired PR at 2:30pm or 5:30pm originally?
    A: The official network time for the first hour of Fox Kids was 7:00am - 8:00am, but since many of the Fox Owned stations had a morning news show, for some idiotic reason they aired it at 2:30pm, even though none of the target audience was even home at that time. On the other hand, some affiliates were smart enough to put it on at 5:30pm.

Q: Why does the TV Listings function only list SPD's slots?
    A: You can chalk that up to one of the many flaws as well. The staff decided to use the listings function for the next airing, but unfortunately it has no way of distinguishing from a premiere, a rerun, or a syndicated repeat for any show, so it's pretty much useless if you want to know the current time for new episodes. As for the SPD thing, since PR's title changes every season, they had to associate it with SPD since that was the current season when it was implemented. Unfortunately they never changed it.

Q: Is DinoThunder one or two words?
    A: The official press releases, press kits, schedules, highlight sheets, and on air promotions from Disney all have it down as DinoThunder, with no space.

One more thing, for the final time, it's CAMILLE, NOT Camila, Camilla, Camile, Carmile, Carmille, Carmilla or even Kharma Kharma Kharma Chameleon; it's JARROD with two "R"s, NOT Jarod or Jared; it's LEANBOW, NOT Leinbow, Lienbow, or Alienbow; it's CLARE with no "i"; it's MESOGOG with an "o" NOT an "a", and it's CONNER with an "er". When in doubt, check the episode guide.
    Edited on 02/08/2011 5:36pm
    Edited 158 total times.

growlphone

[3]Apr 16, 2006
    • level: 5
    2 questions. What do you mean by ool and p not being in it and liking to keep it that way? Also, reviving threads on the second page and beyond, does that mean we have to repost the same thread (but word it differently), or can we revive it only if it's absolutely necessary or if it relates to something that's currently going on, or something we forgot to mention? I've done that before, and no ones said anything.

MegaXiaolinBell

[4]Apr 17, 2006
    • level: 45
    If I may add something, there are VHS and/or DVD releases of several seasons. Time Force, Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, SPD, etc.
    Edited on 04/17/2006 4:28pm

KyL416

[5]Apr 17, 2006
    When people say dvd releases, they mean complete season sets, not just a select few episodes.

ernie329

[7]Apr 22, 2006
    • level: 15

I'm not trying to be rude, but how do the main guys determine what gets locked in the Power Rangers forums? I posted a forum about a message on Ranger Retro-center.com and Sir Stack gave me a good response, I tried to tell Sir Stack thanks but I couldn't because of the lock. Did I do something wrong when I posted the forum, because if so I want to know so I won't disrupt proper forum posting.

Ernie329

SirStack

[8]Apr 23, 2006
    There's no point in leaving threads about false rumors open.

RaijinPaladinix

[9]Apr 23, 2006
    Yeah, that will lead to all kinds of false theories that will disrupt the thoughts of others.
    Edited on 04/23/2006 11:20am

SirStack

[10]Apr 23, 2006
    RaijinPaladinix wrote:
    Yeah, that will lead to all kinds of false theories that will disrupt the thoughts of others.

Considering someone brought it up in another thread, and several posters continued to actually buy the baloney despite a big fat April 1st on it, with no other site to back it up, yes.

RaijinPaladinix

[11]Apr 28, 2006

Are links allowed?  On the last rules I think you advised against them, partly because they are not all accurate.  Hence, the April 1st scheme.

SirStack

[12]Apr 29, 2006
    Links to other PR sites are fine, as long as they aren't included in submissions to the episode guide, and as long as they aren't to "illegal downloads" like YouTube or something.

RaijinPaladinix

[13]May 8, 2006
    Thank you for deleting the inappropriate forums, and also the trash-talking ones.  That guy on the one Sunday didn't even talk about the show.  He just said, "I HATE IT!" without using any information to prove his resentment.

growlphone

[14]May 9, 2006
    RaijinPaladinix wrote:
    Thank you for deleting the inappropriate forums, and also the trash-talking ones.  That guy on the one Sunday didn't even talk about the show.  He just said, "I HATE IT!" without using any information to prove his resentment.

Yeah, i saw it too, and posted back to him.

growlphone

[15]May 9, 2006
    What types of downloads are illegal? This is just to clarify just in case. I'm pretty sure, but I want to make sure.

KyL416

[16]May 9, 2006
    Anything that comes from a service other than iTunes, TV.com's video section, or from an official site like JETIX.tv.

BabyG1989

[17]May 10, 2006
    • level: 8
    I have a question and a suggestion. How about making a official new episode discussion thread. The question is would that be okay?

SirStack

[18]May 11, 2006
    BabyG1989 wrote:
    How about making a official new episode discussion thread. The question is would that be okay?

If you get the name of the episode right, sure. Since the show has such a gap between when it airs new on Toon Disney and ABC Family now, there's no real need to make threads around episodes a sticky.

RaijinPaladinix

[19]May 13, 2006
    I'm going to guess that the "so what other themes could be done" thread was locked because it was resurrected from a dead page?

SirStack

[20]May 14, 2006
    RaijinPaladinix wrote:
    I'm going to guess that the "so what other themes could be done" thread was locked because it was resurrected from a dead page?

Yes. And it was bumped up just to add information already commonly known through other threads.