TV.com will be making changes to the Private Message system the week of Jan 26, 2015. For more information click here

Power Rangers Forums

Saturday 12:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

What do you think of the new season of Power Rangers Samurai?

dizzy1980

[1]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 9

I am not to keen on how they started the season..... What is everyone else opinion?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Enthropii

[2]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 23
    It was definitely a weak episode. I'm certainly okay with them knowing each other, already being rangers and all, but the episode was bad. It was repetitive and I don't understand if the Green Ranger is just stupid or not.

ChipsTheButler

[3]Feb 17, 2011
    I'm waiting for Bulk to have a point. A reason to exist.

edmasterchaos

[4]Feb 17, 2011
    • level: 41
    So far... it's power rangers, only without having an epic-style start and getting goofy before a story-arc episode. So we'll have to wait 'till the story arc villain gets there it seems and hopefully a flashback episode of when the good guys started to be recruited. :/

lawragatajar

[5]Feb 17, 2011
    • level: 8

I'll have to see more before deciding on how I like the season. But, definitely missing the whole motive part for the Rangers. It barely has much explanation on who is the enemy. Took me a bit to figure out that Nighlok was not a enemy's name, but the general term used for them.

Also, Bulk and Spike don't really serve a purpose. At least in the original Power Rangers, Bulk and Spike served as a civilian antagonist. Here, they are just there.

KyL416

[6]Feb 17, 2011
    • level: 56
    lawragatajar wrote:

Also, Bulk and Spike don't really serve a purpose. At least in the original Power Rangers, Bulk and Spike served as a civilian antagonist. Here, they are just there.

They will in a few episodes

Enthropii

[7]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 23
    lawragatajar wrote:

At least in the original Power Rangers, Bulk and Spike served as a civilian antagonist. Here, they are just there.

You mean Bulk and Skull right?

Mythdon

[8]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 7

It's okay. Not a bad season, but at the same time, it's not an awesome one either.

First of all, I did not like that the first episode did not at all serve an introductory purpose. It was more like just any episode where the Rangers battle a monster. Not only did all of the Rangers already have their powers, but they also had a Megazord as well. They acted like experienced Rangers rather than rookies which I would expect from a first episode. I can honestly say that it was the worst first episode I ever saw.

I understand that in Time Force and Wild Force the Rangers already had their powers, but both of their first episodes were introductory because (1) the Red Ranger came in as the newest member to an already existing team and (2) they had not introduced the Megazord yet.

Secondly, I saw no point in bringing Bulk back. Don't get me wrong, I like Bulk, but I think he belongs in the history books and that it is time for him to be put to rest. I also saw nothing in the show to back up his return other than him just being there, because obviously this season is not set in Angel Grove and there was no explanation on how he ended up in Samurai. I understand that if an original owner buys their franchise back that they want to have a nostalgic feel for the show, but I think bringing Bulk back was a mistake.

The opening was so lame and very unoriginal. They made a new version of the original song rather than make a totally new theme. And on top of that, I couldn't stand the singer for the song. But hey, at least it wasn't the trashy rap you hear in the Operation Overdrive opening.

The action is actually pretty good. It's back to actually being real action rather than just randomly piling on explosions, hits and laser beams. I also liked that rather than get new sound effects, they kept the Disney-era sound effects, but did anyone notice that they got rid of the laser explosion, laser hit and laser jump noises?

The villains are okay. Then again, the type of villains doesn't really matter much this season because this season is Samurai themed.

I really like the Samurai theme. It's been a theme long overdue and with it finally here, I am so happy.

In spite of my negative reactions to much of the season, I actually have faith that this season will get better as time goes on.

Edited on 02/18/2011 10:53am

dragon22a

[9]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 32

I think that it was a big mistake not starting with an origin episode. Wild force had most of the rangers already together but it still accomplished the origin role by introducing Cole. This one did not even introduce the villains, the rangers or the mentors. We have little folding zords that seem to have minds of their own and are like pets to the Rangers, yet there is no introduction to them and the viewer is just left confused.

What is really wierd is that there was even preview footage of the first battle released a few weeks ago aw well as footage of the rangers being called with the arrows. This means that there was an originepisode shot and for some reason Nick did not air it in order. I feel like they shot themselves in the foot with this one. Fox did something similar with the series firefly, airing it out of order so the pilot was not shown until later in the season. Many viewers were confused and turned off by this and the show did not do too well as a result. The DVD set fixed the problem and the fan base grew.

At the very least, Nick could have aired the origin episodes as a movie type event. That would have been a great way of kicking off the series big. the cast could have been involved also, maybe hosting the event.It would have been like the old days when the show was really big. Unfortunately they missed a real opportunity.

Other than that though, it is good to have the show back. They dumbed down the morpher from the sentai into a simple cell phone which if they wre going to do anything, I would have rathered something other than a phone which has been done so many times. The Zords are strange though which is why I would have liked a little explaination.

As for Bulk and Spike. I understand that they are just trying to be an homage to the past. Apparently, Spike is Skulls son. Either Skull married Bulks sister, Bulk married Skulls sister or Bulk is so close to Skulls family that he is just called uncle. I would like to see Jason Narvy appear and reunite with Bulk. I know it would likely not happen, but it would be nice to find out that Spikes mother is someone unexpected like Kimberly. Skull always had a crush on her and it would be interesting to find out that they got together. Possibly after Skull was left behind during Lost Galaxy.

edmasterchaos

[10]Feb 18, 2011
    We are two episodes in, guys.

kansasdude82

[11]Feb 20, 2011
    • level: 6

lawragatajar wrote:

Bulk and Skull was in MMPR, PR Zeo, Turbo, In Space, Lost Galaxy, Wild Force (1 ep) and Bulk ONLY in Samurai

ChipsTheButler

[13]Feb 22, 2011
    It's a straight adaptation, but unlike recent straight adaptations, the people making it clearly give a crap as to whether it's any good. It shows.

GATZ1000

[14]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 39

The first episode of the season made no sense at all, jumped around and barely gave any back story-how the villains came to exist and how the rangers got thier powers and so on. That said the episodes after the first episode were actually pretty good. I like how thier are aspects of the very first power rangers season encorporated into this season, like the episode format and the theme music. The bulk and spike storyline is basicly stupid but entertaining, spike gets on my nerves very annoying - should of just had skull back on. Overall bad start to the season but good episodes since then.

zeofan37

[15]Feb 22, 2011
    • level: 5

well affter the first episode i didnt watch the others, it was the worst first episode i ever saw, it left sooo many questions. and the past episodes were they did the origina power rangers like a comic book kinda like the bettle borgs i lost interest with everyone after. but i loved the old stuff it was my favorite show growing up but now i seem to have either lost the likeness or they are just running out of ideas

Stephen0684

[16]Feb 23, 2011
    • level: 8

Impresed and disapointed at the same time. Impressed with the fighting. However, disapointed with everything else. They didn't even tell the orgins of both sides. As for Bulk's return, maybe is was to bridge the gap with the older fans of the orginal series with the new fans. At least we saw one old friend.Maybe later onthe season an former ranger can return to give thenew teamsome pointers. Overall, it wasn't that bad of an eipsode.

ChipsTheButler

[17]Feb 23, 2011
    zeofan37 wrote:

well affter the first episode i didnt watch the others, it was the worst first episode i ever saw, it left sooo many questions. and the past episodes were they did the origina power rangers like a comic book kinda like the bettle borgs i lost interest with everyone after. but i loved the old stuff it was my favorite show growing up but now i seem to have either lost the likeness or they are just running out of ideas

I really hope your avatar is a picture of yourself, because your post made very little sense, and you being young is the only valid excuse for your inability to use the English language.

bag2218

[18]Mar 3, 2011
    • level: 12
    I'm trying to watch this season for nostalgia's sake but the acting makes me want to vomit blood

Mythdon

[19]Mar 3, 2011
    • level: 7

bag2218 wrote:
    I'm trying to watch this season for nostalgia's sake but the acting makes me want to vomit blood

I disagree. I think the acting is impressive in comparison to the recent seasons. While it may not be as good as the acting in MMPR, Time Force and SPD, it's certainly not the cheesy acting that you see in Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury. So I would say it's acting is on average for a Power Rangers season.

edmasterchaos

[20]Mar 4, 2011

Mythdon wrote:

bag2218 wrote:

I disagree. I think the acting is impressive in comparison to the recent seasons. While it may not be as good as the acting in MMPR, Time Force and SPD, it's certainly not the cheesy acting that you see in Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury. So I would say it's acting is on average for a Power Rangers season.

O_O

That was never good acting.