Power Rangers Forums

Saturday 12:00 PM on NickelodeonIn Season

What do you think of the new season of Power Rangers Samurai?

bag2218

[21]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 12

Mythdon wrote:

bag2218 wrote:
    I'm trying to watch this season for nostalgia's sake but the acting makes me want to vomit blood

I disagree. I think the acting is impressive in comparison to the recent seasons. While it may not be as good as the acting in MMPR, Time Force and SPD, it's certainly not the cheesy acting that you see in Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury. So I would say it's acting is on average for a Power Rangers season.

I thought the acting in Jungle Fury was ok though (Nobody seems to like that season for some reason but I liked what little I saw of it since I kinda stopped watching after Mystic Force) But as far as acting goes, I think this current season is the worst. And that's saying something when you think about the over-the-top cheesyness of 90's kid shows. This season's acting makes Beetleborgs' and Ninja Turtles look like freakin Emmy-award winning blockbusters. And dooooon't get me started on the villains we've seen so far! The rangers' acting is more...stale than cheesy but I REALLY can't take the villains! Especially the one who could kill people with insults that were about as hurtful and clever as a "Yo momma" joke

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dragon22a

[22]Mar 5, 2011
    • level: 32

The acting does leave a lot to be desired. The lines like "He's coming back as a mega monster" alone made me cringe. I don't know if it is the acting, the writing, or both. The sensei at least seems to have some acting skill. Spike though is the most annoying character I think has ever been on the show. he is worse than Skull and Bulk combined and at their max. They were annoying but they had levels of annoying. Spike is at maximum levels at all times.

I was hoping that with the return of Saban, the show would be on an upswing. But to tell you the truth, RPM was better acted. This series is trying hard to be like the original, but the original did work in its time. Things have changed and so have the sensibilities of children and other viewers. Maybe it is time for a more serious series that actually make people think and has real drama and good writing. We had that in Time Force. It had drama and an underlying message while not skimping on the action.

Samurai is an homage to the original right down to its theme song. But this is no 1993 any more. Kids shows can be serious and still be fun. Hopefully, the next series will try harder.

bag2218

[23]Mar 5, 2011

dragon22a wrote:
    Spike though is the most annoying character I think has ever been on the show. he is worse than Skull and Bulk combined and at their max. They were annoying but they had levels of annoying. Spike is at maximum levels at all times.

Agreed. We should kill spike! I actually never found Bulk and Skull annoying, I loved those two guys and their little theme music that played whenever they showed up

:
    We had that in Time Force. It had drama and an underlying message while not skimping on the action.

Wild Force, Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, and SPD did a good job of that too. Too bad SPD got a little too dramatic at times.

dragon22a

[24]Mar 6, 2011
    • level: 32

I actually like a little drama. One of the main reasons that Power Rangers was not liked by parents at different times over the years was because it never really taught children anything. I figure that while the show has a child's attention, it is a good chance to send a message and give a little bit of wisdom. On the surface, Time Force was about Mutants but beneath that surface was a lesson in tolerance, differences and hate.

In the 18 years since the original, the show has skirted with death, even fearing to use the words "dead" and "killed". Lost Galaxy flirted with the idea when Kendrix was seemingly killed in her battle with Psycho Pink. RPM had obvious references to deaths but never mentioned it. I do not recall any storyline involving drugs or drinking in all the years the series has been on.

With a little more drama added, bringing in messages as part of the actual storyline, the show could be the type of thing that parents want their kids of watch. I would rather have that then have an episode where a ranger actually tries to use a fishing pole he manifested out of thin air to capture a swordfish zord.

When it comes to Bulk and Skull, they grew as characters and at times even came off as heroic. They also had actual interactions with the rangers and were considered friends with them at some points. Spike and Bulk have barely had any contact with the new rangers at all other then being fans of the samurai. When they are on screen it is like it is a totally different show and just comes off as a waste of time. Plus Bulk is an adult now, he should be acting more grown than this. The writing on this show has basically returned him to his season 1 self. All of the growth he had as a cop, detective, and bartender seems to have been lost.

I know that this is and always will be a children targeted show. But that does not mean that it can't be well written and well thought out. Make it more than just childrens programming so other age groups could find it interesting.

ChipsTheButler

[25]Mar 12, 2011
    • level: 9
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Mythdon wrote:

bag2218 wrote:
    I'm trying to watch this season for nostalgia's sake but the acting makes me want to vomit blood

I disagree. I think the acting is impressive in comparison to the recent seasons. While it may not be as good as the acting in MMPR, Time Force and SPD, it's certainly not the cheesy acting that you see in Operation Overdrive and Jungle Fury. So I would say it's acting is on average for a Power Rangers season.

O_O

That was never good acting.

Indeed. I also consider the acting in SPD to be a bit sketchy.

theimortal2

[28]Mar 16, 2011
    • level: 6
    KyL416 wrote:
    lawragatajar wrote:

Also, Bulk and Spike don't really serve a purpose. At least in the original Power Rangers, Bulk and Spike served as a civilian antagonist. Here, they are just there.

They will in a few episodes

are you thinking like i am that bulk is going to be the 'incompetent american' wanting to be a samurai in an upcoming episode. i was wondering how they could adapt that episode and i thought of bulk. the american in the sentai episode was overweight and incompetent but with a heart of gold. sound like anybody you know?

theimortal2

[29]Mar 16, 2011
    sorry if i was supposed to put a spoiler in the last one but it isn't really a major plot point or change.

cool-teen15

[30]May 15, 2011
    • level: 5

honestly i dont like it! and reason being is because its an EXACT copy of Shinkenger!! i watched the full season of Shinkenger and i LOVED it! but seeing PR Samurai just makes me feel like im watchin it again but in American actors!! so yea i'll watch Super Sentai instead,,sorry Power Rangers

ChipsTheButler

[31]May 21, 2011

theimortal2 wrote:
    KyL416 wrote:
    lawragatajar wrote:

Also, Bulk and Spike don't really serve a purpose. At least in the original Power Rangers, Bulk and Spike served as a civilian antagonist. Here, they are just there.

They will in a few episodes
    are you thinking like i am that bulk is going to be the 'incompetent american' wanting to be a samurai in an upcoming episode. i was wondering how they could adapt that episode and i thought of bulk. the american in the sentai episode was overweight and incompetent but with a heart of gold. sound like anybody you know?

Yes, the infamous 'Mr Brown' episode. However for Samurai they skipped it to go straight to the Gold Ranger episode. Maybe they'll go back... but it is odd they skipped it.

Enthropii

[32]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 23
    Is the season over?

KyL416

[33]Jun 16, 2011
    • level: 56
    Several more episodes that will air next month.

theimortal2

[34]Jun 20, 2011

Yes, the infamous 'Mr Brown' episode. However for Samurai they skipped it to go straight to the Gold Ranger episode. Maybe they'll go back... but it is odd they skipped it.

[/QUOTE]

i wonder if they are showing every episode that was produced. they obviously skipped over the pilot episode since i heard that trailers showed scenes from it. maybe they filmed the adaption of that episode and didn't show it.

i mean why introduce bulk and make him a wannabe samurai and not use that adaption? i mean i know why they would introduce bulk again cause he's a popular character but they didn't have to make him similar to the american from the sentai series.

JoshuaFraim

[35]Jun 30, 2011
    • level: 5
    i just read somewhere that there is going to be 43 episodes this season. yeah right considering how fast they are rushing through the sentai episodes i believe more that rumor that this season is only 20 episodes long.

ChipsTheButler

[36]Jul 2, 2011
    You're waaay behind. At announcing it was to be 'two seasons 20 episodes each', so 40 all up.

Megajoe19

[37]Jul 19, 2011
    • level: 14
    KyL416 wrote:

And when are they gonna air? We're in the middle of July and nothing. What do you know about the remaining 4 episodes for this season?. I'm from another country and I watch Samurai through Youtube.

Poweranimals

[38]Jul 20, 2011

Megajoe19 wrote:
    KyL416 wrote:
    And when are they gonna air? We're in the middle of July and nothing. What do you know about the remaining 4 episodes for this season?. I'm from another country and I watch Samurai through Youtube.
    No one knows anything. We've been told "later this summer" for months now but we can't get a clearer date.

KyL416

[39]Jul 21, 2011
    • level: 56
    Not even Nick's programming department knows anymore. Apparantly no one there talks to eachother until the last minute.

Amazon_Hollow

[40]Jul 31, 2011
    • level: 8

Hmm... Are you paying attention at all.

They did told how the rangers got their powers several times. They got their powers by their loves ones of the previous Rangers. Heck it's even into the opening credits hearing the narrator revealed after generations after generations. The reason there wasn't a big major origin, how they got their powers into the first episode. It's because they already became rangers by their love ones pasting the power down to them as the next generation rangers. Yeah, it was present into the past and not into present when the first episode takes places.

And Also,

They did told how the Villains got there several times. It's the same villains the previous Rangers faced into their time. The previous Rangers prison the villains for a life time into that zone. That's why none of the major villains cannot ever escape out of the zone. But the previous Red Ranger being Jayden's father didn't compete his task pirsing the villains into that zone. So, they can portal out of that zone back & forth for only just temporary times. Heck it's even into the opening credits hearing the narrator revealed after generations after generations. Yeah, it was present into the past and not into present when the first episode takes places.