Press Your Luck Forums

CBS (ended 1986)

Who saw the Larson episodes when they were originally aired?

DesertLynx83

[1]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 10
    I was too young when they were first aired, but I saw the documentary when they aired them in 2003.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

steph1024

[2]Mar 25, 2006
    • level: 9
    i wasn't even born when they showed them. so i watched the documentary too. i found it interesting that he figured out the system.
    Edited on 03/28/2006 2:37pm

putertrekkie

[3]Apr 13, 2006
    • level: 16
    steph1024 wrote:
    i wasn't even born when they showed them. so i watched the documentary too. i found it interesting that he figured out the system.
    Same for me,

TriviaDude

[4]May 7, 2006
    • level: 25

Unfortunately, KHOU in Houston missed out on that historic moment, because they preferred a syndicated talk show at the time (Woman To Woman).  They changed their minds three months later.

It took me over 15 years to finally see the Larson episodes by tape trade.  If they had it where champions stayed until defeated (if there hadn't been a CBS $25,000 limit), Larson might've been like Thom McKee & Ken Jennings combined!

Water78

[5]Jun 25, 2006
    • level: 47
    TriviaDude wrote:

Unfortunately, KHOU in Houston missed out on that historic moment, because they preferred a syndicated talk show at the time (Woman To Woman).  They changed their minds three months later.

It took me over 15 years to finally see the Larson episodes by tape trade.  If they had it where champions stayed until defeated (if there hadn't been a CBS $25,000 limit), Larson might've been like Thom McKee & Ken Jennings combined!

Who is Thom Mckee

balloonman1

[6]Sep 8, 2006
    • level: 11
    Thom McKee is the Navy Lieutenant who appeared on Wink Martindale's version of "Tic Tac Dough" and won over $300,000 in cash and prizes over a course of several weeks, including EIGHT AUTOMOBILES!!!

FredScuttle

[7]Nov 2, 2007
    • level: 43
    I was 14 when they first aired, and was on summer vacation from school, so I usually watched PYL every day I remember watching them, wish I'd had GSN when they aired the special. I haven't seen the episodes since they first aired. I did get to see the Whammy episode with Larson's brother, and the other 2 contestants, with Peter Tomarken doing the question round the other day on GSN. Also saw most of Thom McKee's run on Tic Tac Dough, was quite amazing. Guess he wasthe Ken Jennings of his day

markdoublea84

[8]Feb 3, 2012
    • level: 57
    FredScuttle wrote:
    I was 14 when they first aired, and was on summer vacation from school, so I usually watched PYL every day I remember watching them, wish I'd had GSN when they aired the special. I haven't seen the episodes since they first aired. I did get to see the Whammy episode with Larson's brother, and the other 2 contestants, with Peter Tomarken doing the question round the other day on GSN. Also saw most of Thom McKee's run on Tic Tac Dough, was quite amazing. Guess he wasthe Ken Jennings of his day

You can look for the GSN documentary, Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandle, on YouTube. I posted the entire special there about three years ago.

markdoublea84

[9]Feb 3, 2012
    • level: 57
    I was just a tiny baby when Michael Larson made game show history on PYL back in '84. I was fortunate, though, to see both the GSN documentary and the Whammy rematch in 2003. But all that Michael's brother James won was just a $6,000+ electronic piano.