A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Pretty Little Liars S05E24: "A Is for Answers"

Once upon a time, there was this video game that had this crazy story set in a huge world, just gigantic in scope. But the production ran out of money and, in order to keep the project on-budget, the creators had the characters literally sit in rocking chairs and tell parts of the story they didn't have the money to make. Ten straight minutes of flipping through text boxes watching nothing more than a 32-bit dude in a ponytail tell you what's happening.

That old familiar feeling of mashing the X button to get through the the scenes faster crept up on me while watching "A Is for Answers," as Alison literally sat in a chair for most of the episode and provided the backstory we've been missing. But, instead of it being because Pretty Little Liars ran out of money, I have a feeling that this episode full of flashbacks was fueled by recent backlash toward the show.

We've been burned before. The mightiest example of a series ending before we got the answers we craved is Lost. Indeed, there were definitely times where I kind of wished someone would've just sat Jacob down and played Third Degree; Sawyer would definitely have gotten the identity of who was in the outrigger out of him. But the going accusation at the time was that Lost's creative team didn't know what they were doing, that they were drowning in story and had no idea how they wanted to end it. That there was no plan. That they were just making things up as they went along. And that eventually, they just slapped together an ending.

I don't believe that's the case (call me an optimist), but I don't think the fine people behind Pretty Little Liars like being the subject of similar assumptions. So they struck a compromise with the audience: We'll give you a taste of the good stuff if you let us keep A a secret. Because, honestly, how much life does the show have once the Liars figure out who A is? Half a season? An episode?

Watching the girls sit Ali down and coax her to tell them a story wasn't as frustratingly meta as that video game. After all, what would you have done if your presumed-dead-but-actually-just-disappeared friend reemerged and stuck around long enough to give you every answer she possibly could? It's just too bad a lot of what she said was stuff we already knew, even if we hadn't pieced it together on a timeline yet.

But we did learn a good number of things that we didn't know before: All those Alison appearances were NOT weird dreams (candy striper in Hanna's hospital room, at the fiery lodge, etc); Ali was the one who pushed Ian off the belfry (but didn't kill him); Spencer didn't LUX shovel anyone; Mrs. D is the one who buried Alison alive; and Mona is the one who helped Alison disappear. Oh, and Mona is real crazy. Like, real real crazy. Like, I don't know what's holding Mona in check from rising to supervillain status and developing her own weather machine, but I feel like it's that Hanna took her shopping and everyone in Rosewood should thank their lucky stars that those two girls shared some retail therapy because otherwise, Mona would be their evil overlord. Everyone in Rosewood must eat a dozen cupcakes in one sitting!

Anyway. If the members of the audience are stockholders in the business of Pretty Little Liars, they finally got a decent share of dividends this week, and I. Marlene King and Co. get to keep pushing forward. Answers like full-size candy bars. Mostly, anyway. But, then, there were those last five minutes.

After nearly an entire hour of establishing Alison as both a victim and a power player, after kicking off what will probably be a long process of restoring Ali's capital after witnessing her be horrible to people in everyone's flashbacks for four years, after stretching the Liars to their limits all these seasons later, Pretty Little Liars reduced the ladies to a bunch of shrieking little girls once A came to find them.

The actors who play the Liars are all in their mid- to late-20s now, so it's easy to forget that they're all supposed to still be minors. But we've watched all of them at some point or another grow a pair of ovaries and take care of business when they need to. The Liars have never been more impotent than they were at the end of "A Is for Answers." Let's walk through it.

For our purposes, we're going to call their attacker A, even though s/he was dressed as a Hoodie with a mask (so it could've still just been an underling). A attacked through the plate glass window with a gun and the girls screamed and ran up the fire escape. The roof had no exits (Em is probably the only one who could jump, Wonder Woman-like, from rooftop to rooftop), but it did only have two entrances: the one that Ezra would emerge from (why was he there? Was he peeping?) and the one A crashed through. No one decided to man the doors and tackle A upon A reaching the rooftop, which seems like a total Spencer or Hanna thing to do—take A down and then either let Aria kick-punch him/her or just let Emily use her sixth sense to find a dangerous weapon within a ten-foot radius and do some dirty work.

There wasn't any of that, though. Sisters were not doing it for themselves. Instead, they waited impatiently for A to arrive, only to find the baseball-hatted Ezra arriving first. He wrestled A for the gun while the Liars looked on and shrieked some more and waited for the man to save them. The gun fell Hanna's way and she picked it up. Suddenly, I felt like they could be empowered again.

Nope. Despite some pretty convincing demands that A take off the mask (as the episode promo sold us on), A merely acted like the veil was being lifted, said "Psych!" and then leaped over the gap to the other building. Hanna with the gun just watched as A jumped, climbed over the ledge on the other side, landed on top of the building, stood there and looked at the girls, and then casually, casually, exited through the door.

Maybe that's overly harsh on Hanna, expecting her to pull the trigger of a weapon she has no experience firing, especially since there's no backstory as to her being familiar with guns in any way that doesn't include burying them behind sorority houses. But watching A pretend like the mask was about to come off and then turning to dive across the buildings made me laugh out loud. It would've been one thing if the police had shown up and distracted everyone. But A just ditched them right in front of their eyes. The relaxed saunter inside was especially ridiculous, and made every one of those Liars look useless.

And they looked even more useless as they realized Ezra's pensive look wasn't because he was being all emo, but because he'd been shot. He milked it, apologizing as he fell unconscious, and the girls all had to scream for help because Noel took their phones away. They were impotent. They were helpless. They were exactly where they were before except now they had even more dangerous A bait hanging out with them. Yay?

It was disappointing to see such a weak ending to an episode that was essentially created for fan service. I know a lot of people will feel cheated because A wasn't unmasked, but the episode was truly dedicated to providing clarification, if not answers, to many a question. At the very least, it cleared up the timeline and helped narrow down the field as to who A is. The problem with a show like this is that there's a general impatience with knowing the answers, and that frustration often gets conflated with a malaise concerning the show in general. Pretty Little Liars isn't perfect. God help us, we can enumerate the actual problems with the series for hours. But how it reveals the core tenet of the show isn't one of them. Someday, Pretty Little Liars will get to the point like Bones or Chuck did, where the main serial conceit will wear itself out so much that A will have to be unmasked because that premise gets old. But not just yet.

NOTES

– Spencer being mesmerized by Newton's Cradle might be the best metaphor of the episode. That Aria was annoyed by it makes it even better.

– The ticking time bomb seemed unnecessary. Obviously, the girls were going to try to get everything they could from Ali immediately. It's not like they were going to be all, "Oh, good to see you. Glad you're safe for now. Oh, don't worry about the details that've been ruining our life for years. We can go over that stuff at brunch tomorrow."

– So Noel wasn't working with NAT or A. He was just a jerk the whole time. If Ali likes the Liars (generally) and has no reason to distrust them (Spencer, for instance, did not take Ali out with a shovel), why do all the people who supposedly help Ali treat the Liars like dog crap?

– "Did you get lucky or did someone turn me in?" You signed your own name on a hotel ledger, CeCe. This one's on you and your terrible on-the-run skills. Not even an obscure Nabokov character name? Rookie mistake. Related: It took me a while to believe it but that actually was Vanessa Ray playing CeCe. It's just been so long that I didn't recognize her. We're going to call that Mike Syndrome.

– So Melissa knows who killed "that girl" on the night of Alison's disappearance. Papa Hastings seems summarily appalled. And this is a man who's had to put up with a lot of appalling things. Like Toby's slicked nude form mere feet from his daughter.

– Mrs. D is the one who buried Ali alive to save... someone. I mean, unless Mrs. D is able to Spider-Man across rooftops, she's probably not A, but that's some hysterical ish to bury your own daughter without even checking for signs of life. Not even, like, a mirror under the nose to see if it fogs up? I can see why Ali might not be terribly surprised that the Liars suspect Mrs. D of being capable of terrible things. I mean, if she's going to protect someone by hiding her own daughter in the backyard, it's got to be Jason, right?

– Ezra seemed really upset that Ali lied about her age (even though there was no funny business—Alison had a lot of relationships where they apparently didn't "do anything"). He specifically mentioned in the flashback how angry he was that she was in high school. I guess she broke the seal, so Ezra justified, "Well, I already dated one high school girl. I guess that's who I am now. Bring on the underaged babes!"

– Detective Holbrook has been watching too much Colombo. His "just one more thing" game needs work.

Mona, you really shouldn't've let Ali fall asleep after she got knocked in the head so hard. That's super bad for you.

It's unfortunate how much the producers tried to tie Ravenswood into Pretty Little Liars. I understand the move and the risk/reward, but now Grunwald psychically knowing where Alison was buried so she could be pulled out of the ground is forever part of the backstory. It's a dash of magic that is going to forever haunt the show.

Your Moment of A: A Hoodie dragging Mrs. D through the backyard and burying her (presumably) alive. Seems more like revenge against Jessica than an A calling card. Whose side are you on, A? Maybe A will join the clique soon, too, after revealing that A is being tortured by, you know, B. Sorry, guys. It's been four seasons and I don't think I've ever made that joke. Thanks for reading and making Season 4 fun! See you in June!

What'd you think of the finale? Were the "answers" satisfying enough for your liking?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/15/2016

Season 6 : Episode 20

163 Comments
Comments (163)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This episode label is wrong by the way. It is S04E24, not S05E24 which aired just a few hours ago!
Flag
it seems like the early seasons allow the side stories to be more interesting and entertaining; so not every second had to literally be about discussing or hunting A. i think the show needs to figure out how to get back to that better balance.
Flag

with subtitles:)
Flag
where can I watch season 4 free:)?
Flag
Ezra was in college and said no to Ali but did hankypanky with Aria while working as a teacher? Please don't bring him back if he is not A.
Flag
Am I the only one who thinks that Ezra had more than enough time to say "Hey! I know who you are! You're _____!" It's seriously upsetting, but it's part of the show so, eh, what can we do? Wait for June, I guess.
Flag
Ugh. The only reason a mother would cover her daugther's murder is to protect another child of hers.
But given that they are gonna make a whole new season, this might actually turn into an absurd, very long and boring mess. I'm done watching this.
Flag
what if mrs.D has a twin sister that has nothing to do with A?i think who ever tried to kill alison that night is not A!!!
Flag
first inkling I had that this show would turn into a hot mess was when Mona was allowed to go back to school with the girls after season 2 finale & when she even had the same classes with them after trying to murder them LOL...but kept watching the guilty pleasure...then Toby reveal turned out to be a red herring...okay still gave another shot...Ezra reveal revived the show...him being A made the pedo relationship with Aria and Ezra seem plausible but of course they pulled a gossip girl and he was trying to write a "true crime novel" -_- ...then the S4 finale (already gave my opinion about it) Ultimately, I will now leave this show to the youngsters that have the time to invest in a non-sensible series. I am glad that so many others have had there "aha" moment with this series! Deuces.
Flag
Agree, nothing makes sense any more, plus i don't get it why they idealize the teacher-minor student relationship? Ezra should have been A fo so many reasons, but mainly to somehow show that this kind of "relationship" would end badly.
Maybe they had this in mind before the network ordered another season, and what's the point of it if everybody knows who's A?
Flag
I would still watch if I knew who A was. It would be fun if we knew but the girls didn't. I don't know for sure, but they have a great cast, and I think it would still be interesting if we knew everything- as long as it made sense. I mean, people are going to be rewatching this when it's over, and they'll be able to just ask somebody who A is! So for posteritys sake, they better make it good, and worth watching even if you know who A is.
Flag
finally we got some answers !!!! Awesome episode and it's the only season that we have no idea who A could be ( except jason , which is too obvious to be real ) ... The only thing I didn't like was that the writers tried to redim ezra's being a pedophile. So ezra tells no to allison ... He refuses to have a relationship with her because she is underaged but with Aria , does the exact opposite . He approaches even though he knows who she is and how old she is in order to write a book ??? they had sex since the day 1 for gs!!! That was a really shity ! And they are going 2 be back 2gether the guy is a psycho !!!
Flag
Unless Mr. DiLaurentis has another love child, the "killer" (one smacking Alison in the head with a rock) has to be Jason. Sorry, she would not cover for anyone else and bury her daughter for it. Or she is insane. Honestly, it could only be another child. BUT, the one that hit Allison on the head doesn't have to be A.

I liked the reveals of this episode but agree that the ending was very weak. "I know who you are!" Well, Ezra, how about finishing with a name before you tussle yourself to death with the bad guy whose identity no one else knows? And Hanna not shooting? Was she the same girl we saw in that noir episode? Hanna has more sass than that. She could have at least tried to shoot and missed. I get they still want to hide the identity but the way they did it here was stupid.

Melissa is pretty disgusting by the way. They're giving hard time for Spencer for some silly pills but Melissa has done so many bad things that it's revolting already. She doesn't need to have killed the girl but she is involved in that too, blegh.
More+
Flag
&Unless; Mr. DiLaurentis has another love child, the "killer" (one smacking Alison in the
&head; with a rock) has to be Jason.

It might not be a love child, it might be a lovER - perhaps Mr. Hastings?
Flag
What was in that letter from Toby?
When did Toby say that he was going to London and why?
Ali was trying to prove that people were not sending her the hateful text messages. That does not vindicate her in my eyes. She is still a hateful bitch. I do not understand why they would want her back. Let her hour run out then say "We tried. So sorry we couldn't solve your little mystery. Bye bye now"

Most of this episode was a rehash of the first 4 seasons. Not much new happened except the two lawyers got played by the cops. Ezra is gut shot, so Aria will get back with him out of sympathy. Mrs. D. may or may not be dead. Jason is MIA and the only one I can think of that Mrs. D. would cover for hitting Ali with the rock. I knew that the hoodie person was faking taking off the mask. Ezra supposedly knows who it is, but is somewhere in limbo. This is taking way too long to solve. How many years have passed in the show since this began? 2? 3? 10? At least Caleb is coming back in June, so now we get Hanna, Caleb and Travis love triangle.
More+
Flag
What frustrates me the most here , is how the episode tried so far to make Ezra some hero , instead of the creep he actually is
Flag
I completely understand why Aria hates Ezra right now. I would too. But I don't think Ezra is a creep. I think his "heroism" is because he's trying to make up for hurting Aria and he genuinely cares for her and the other PLLs
Flag
Staff
Ezra being a creep and Ezra trying to make amends with Aria are not mutually exclusive. It's admirable that he is trying so hard but he did knowingly hook up with a student and keep surveillance on teenagers for years, even after he "fell in love" with one. He also tried to sway her against her friends by maintaining he should come before them. I don't deny that the character honestly cares for her, but let's not become Ezra apologists.
Flag
I don't think he's a creep. His survaliance was for a book, in which he had a publisher and in public places in the same way as other investigative reporters do for a story. I heard there is a at least 1 survaliance camera for every block in Manhattan. I don't know if this is right or wrong but it is our life now days and Ezrias surveliience doesn't seem like that big of a thing relatively speaking.
Flag
I dont see how any part of what you describe isnt creepy . That's stalker and paparazzi behavior . So he does care , and did something actually heroic ok , but that's something else not mutually exclusive with him worming his way into their life for all the wrong reasons , and getting in on in a vile fashion .
Flag
Oh and I still hate Ali. I do not want her back unless it is to get killed for real this time.

I never read the books so I didn't know about the evil twin thing. Sounds like a cliché, but fun, if it ends that way. There must be someone crazy who has something to "gain" from tormenting Ali and then her friends. So it would make sense if it was a crazy twin with an obsession. She must need someone else on her team though, but unless it's the equally crazy Mona, I can't imagine who else. Who else would gain anything from tormenting the girls when they haven't really done anything awful to deserve it.

Also, I am tired of people hating on Ezra for the same thing. The age of consent (at least here) is 16, so Aria can sleep with adult men if she likes... Not illegal here. She was 17 when she met him, which is between the legal ages in Pennsylvania (16 or 18). The fact he was her teacher changes nothing. Their story seemed slutty at first, but romantic later on. Then they made it dark since he knew who she was from the start and just used her. That was the main problem here IMO... Besides, them dating was a big deal at first, but since they were in love the people around eventually started accepting it for the most part. I don't see how it's so bad.
More+
Flag
Staff
Oh, I was with you right up until the end! Ezra started dating Aria when she was 16, a year after she came back from Iceland. While that's the age of consent, Ezra was still older than 18, which means he would be guilty of corrupting a minor in Pennsylvania. He was also her teacher and teachers taking advantage of their proximity to young girls is frowned upon. That's on top of the surveillance biz. So that's the root of all the Ezra hate. Even though Ezria fell in love with each other, it's still inappropriate and distasteful, complicated by his intent to use his position of power to gain information about Ali.
Flag
I don't get all the Ezria hate either. I certainly don't condone teacher/student romances. But this is such unrealistic TV entertainment, it doesn't justify all the energy the haters seem to put into the anti-Ezria campaigns instead of the NAT club. Ian, Jason and Garett filmed intimate, private parts of people's lives. Ezra's survaliance pics were in public places where anyone is fair game.
Flag
It is frustrating, but I am kinda glad they didn't reveal A just yet. It would ruin a lot of the show's mystery IMO. I would have liked to see more of how it all ties in together. I didn't feel much smarter after this episode. Why don't Melissa just tell the girls who killed that girl? Why all the secrets? Why did the parents not tell Spencer the truth about that summer, since she didn't even hit Allison? Was there anything they didn't tell Spencer at all? Why was Mona so shady even back then? I am glad Mrs. D is dead now, presumably. I can't imagine who she would protect other than Jason. But if someone hit Allison and they buried her, then how does the other girl fit into it all? We didn't see anything about another girl being killed.

A seemed to have a male figure this time at least.
Flag
I enjoyed this episode,even if it was a bit frustrating at times.But isn't that what all of PLL is like?LOL.I still love the show,no matter how ridiculous it is,it's a guilty pleasure,and as long as it's on,I'll be watching.

- I personally think Melissa might have killed the blonde girl,thinking it was Ali,or maybe their mom.
- The person on the roof was definitely a man,and I'm wondering if maybe it was Jason?
- I'm still wondering about Mona,is she just your standard crazy,or could she still be A?
- I was really hoping Mrs D was A,but it seems she was just a really,really bad mother.Go figure.
Flag
Answers and yet so many more questions!!!!!
Flag
LOL your review made me laugh a lot.

This episode was ridiculous but at least it gave us some answers from Ali herself and in this kind of show when you know that when they reveal who exactly is the almighty "A" it's going to end at least it's something. The bad thing is that PLL AT LEST has 2 more seasons to go, I doubt s5 is going to tank hard in ratings and ABC Family decides to cancel the show, after 4 season of running around in circles PLL is still it's top rated show...

I LOLed in the final scene, I mean the stunt when Ezra is struggling with "A" was so bad and also the part where "A" jump and magically survive, I mean that's pure comedy. The PLL writers should do a comedy after the show is over.

They are obviously not gonna kill Ezra and for what I read on the interviews they might go into the "Pedo" Love triangle with Ezra-Ali-Ari....

Flag
just awesome plain and simple!!! weak ending NICK really?? I don't think so not even close!!!
Flag
Marlene needs to stop idolizing this illegal relationship between a high school girl & her older TEACHER that stalked and manipulated her for years…This is worse than Bella wanting to be a vampire on twilight!! Where is Buffy the vampire slayer and her morals when you need her? I know a student teacher relationship makes for good TV but to make them one of the most important story-lines/endgame couples on the series as a whole is WRONG...
Flag
A is not probably the one who hit Alison with a rock. With A having a creative ways to torture, kill, and bully, it's too simple for A. It may be Jason who hit Ali, but doesn't mean he's A. Jason is high that night, who knows?
Flag
Staff
I completely agree. There are a lot of unknowns and you can't assume that the person that hit Alison is also A. The question that should raised regarding Ali's attack: is Mrs D singling out Spencer to use her as a red herring (to distract from Jason -- meaning she was asking Jason what he has done) or did she just see someone with dark hair attack Alison and assumed it was Spencer (Mona or anyone with that Vivian Darkbloom wig -- meaning Mrs D was muttering about Alison going out at night dooming her).
Flag
Are we going to ignore that fact that Eza dated a 14 year old girl when he was 21ish. Then a 15/16 year old girl while he was teaching her English?! How is this OK!? He's a pedophile!
Flag
Well he is a creep and definitely a little pedo but in this episode we saw that he was very upset finding out how young Ali was. He met her in a bar you know and she had ID. So he didn't intentionally date a 14 yo. Still a creep though and very far from any kind of hero. I hope he survives and still gets told off by Aria, just to live the pitiful life he deserves.
Flag
I thought we always knew Ezra was a pedo? Why are you so surprised all of sudden?
Flag
b/c accidentally making out in a bar bathroom w a 16 year old is one thing, but dating a 14 year old is something else.
Flag
He didn't know she was underage. She told him she was 21 and met him in a bar where she was drinking and had been carded. He was furious when he found out and was worried about her.
Flag
Allison dressed provocatively and were heavy makeup. ObViously, if she hangs out in college bars drinking, she doesn't look like a 14 year old.
Flag
But can you tell the differance between someone that looks 21, and someone that is 14?
Flag
So yeah Jason Jason Jason. And shouldn't this have been the opportunity for Spencer to realize she holds the motive for almost all his actions and Mrs. D's reaction to all Hastings. Does the show forget we know? You know that Jason is Spencer's brother too? And can I just call b.s. on the whole Ezra being there and how fake that fight was and how accidental that shot was that I don't remember hearing it.
Flag
But if Alison knew Spencer didn't try to kill her or the other girl, why was she so upset when she followed Emily? Why did she trust ONLY Emily, if she knew the Liars were not on her list?

By now I have seen so many characters that I really can't peace their reasons together, so I really don't have a theory. It's not clear to me Melissa's role or Cece in the red coat etc... so much remain unanswered!
Flag
Thanks for season 4 reviews, Nick! See you in June!

So:

- Spencer is an innocent addict. She didn't kill anyone
- Hastings are not A (even Melissa is not A)
- It's possible Melissa killed that other girl.
- Ali is back - she won't disappear again, right?
- Mrs. D is probably dead (and she's not A). I suspect Mrs. D is protecting Ali's evil twin sister.
- Hannah is so going to prison for killing Ezra. Her finger prints are all over the gun (and it doesn't matter Hannah is innocent).
- Ezra is dead (finally!)

Not bad for a season's final.

Hannah, why didn't you shoot A? You could have gone to prison for double homicide and spare your friends all the suffering.
Flag
Ezra is not dead and he won't die....
Flag
I refuse to believe he's still alive. You're wrong!
Flag
they said ezra's gonna be back for season 5...and back with aria too
Flag
Did anyone else notice CeCe said that she knows who killed that girl and it was her "friend"... I kind of thought she meant Ali. Like Ali is A and is playing games. A Liar. Ezra knew she started the conversation with a lie and lied about pretty much everything. CeCe said that she's a good liar...
Flag
I don't think Mrs D would bury Ali to cover up for Jason, actually.
Call me crazy, but I'm going with the book theory here. I re-watched it and THAT phone call she makes before telling Ali not to go out is super suspicious. Really, go and listen to it again.
Also, Cece said that she knew who killed "that girl" (that would make both her and Melissa know), and that it was the same person who tried to kill Alison, so whoever that is, is A, right?
I think there were two hoodies that night (episode night, not Ali's not-quite-death-night) One in NY shooting the Liars and one burying Mrs. D... I don't think that could've been only one person.

MONA IS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY CRAZY.
Flag
Agree on the Mona is crazy part! She totally freaked me out.
Flag
About the phone call.

I agree, I think Alison twin escaped from Radley and that's why Ms D didn't want Alison to go out. I'm sure it's not Jason now but Alison's twin.
Flag
Yeah, I gave it a lot of thought and it's more convincing than Jason being A... I don't know, it sounds crazy and ridiculous, but knowing that the books went that way... it made a little more sense.
Flag
Exactly! Since the audiences (who haven't read the books) don't know about the original story they are going to shit them self. lol
Flag
Question: what the hell was that room Mona was in while Ali was sleeping in that creepy motel? Didn't that tell us Mona was A after all?
Flag
Staff
That's the Mona Lair. You get a better glimpse of it in Season 2 just before Mona confesses to Spencer about being A. It was dismantled once Uber A stole the game from Mona.
Flag
Wasn't that Mona's lair? I think A alreasy had Mona in the ranks!
Flag
I see all the Hastings in this episode. So it's a final season for me.
Flag
A has to be either Jason or Mike. Amen.
Flag
I was also appalled that Ezra made such a huge deal about dating someone under aged, and when he found out he took the moral high road and completely ended things.... but started right up with another under-ager. Even if his intentions with Aria were only for his book, he was still making out with her and eventually falling for her and sleeping with her--where were his strong morals then?

Yup, the show has made it clear now that the baddie has to be either Jason or Ali's twin. Sure, the writers constantly say they aren't "necessarily" following the books' plot, but they don't say they're not, either. And the show hints at twins and evil twins every chance they get, so I feel like the twin has to be the answer in the end, and she was holed up at Radley... and escaped through the window that Mona and Spencer used to get in and out. The twin could have snuck into Ali's room easily to write the creepy mirror message and I'm sure torture her in other ways too by just pretending she was Ali and walking right in the house.

Mrs. D probably didn't care of Ali was alive or not when she buried her--if she was dead, she had to get rid of the body to protect her other daughter. If she was alive, Alison knew that her mother had seen who had hit her, so she had no way out other than to bury and make sure she would die.

More+
Flag
Ezra having romantic relations with these so-called "teenage girls" reminds me of a similar situation in The Tomorrow People. Stephen is supposed to be in high school, yet, Cara, an adult, kissed and "seduced" him into carnal love. She also took him to a bar on a school night. and last episode, the same situation happened, when Russel took him to a bar and offered him alcohol on a school night. It's hilarious that someone would find something like that scandalous or immoral when the referred teenagers are adults in every aspect, except for what they are initially labeled by the writers.
Flag
It has been really boring and absurd show quite a while and I am even not really interested anymore who the A is but I really-really want a spinoff from A's perspective. How the hell s/he knows everything, does everything, is everywhere, manipulates people and sends SMS messages exactly right time always.
Flag
I would absolutely love that spin off. Let's work on it, I like it.
Flag
The show wants us to believe that Jason is A. Which means he isn't. Talk about an episode with no actual answers.
Flag
Staff
I'm not so certain that the person that hit Ali with the rock is necessarily supposed to be A. We don't really have enough evidence to conflate the two, just that the person that hit her is someone Mrs D is looking to protect (probably Jason). Now you have fewer answers than you thought!
Flag
In a way, that's an answer XD
Flag
If Ezra survives he is going to get the simpathy treatment from Aria ( specially after the reaction she had when he was shot ) and they probably will go back to be together . If he dies he gets the heroic death and no answer to whom the hooded man was . Either way is a bad move , he doesn't deserve any simpathy and he certianly isn't any kind hero at all . I don't get the obsession with this show to give this creep some kind of redemption he doesn't deserve .

The appearence of the hooded man was so random and the shooting scenes were an embarassment . I counted at least three times in which he had a clean shot and by some miracle he decided not to shoot . It's plausible for Hannah not to pull the trigger , but that guy , who was clearly trying to murder them ? That just doesn't make sense . For a show that tries to depict how this girls are in constant and real danger , when they riase the stakes , the delivery is poor . It happened in the mid season finale , with CeCe and Aria's fight and it happened again now .

So they expect us to believe Mrs D dug a full-scale body grave in the middle of a stormy night ? By the way I think that's what Melissa saw and told her father . I also believe that Mrs D knew that Ali was alive but needed to put her there and make it look like she was dead so that A stops haunting her . There is no way that Alison didn't suffocate in that grave , without some kind of aid ( maybe Mrs D left something in the grave to help her get out )

At this point the only possible outcome for A's identity is Jason . There is simply no other explanation , unless they come up with a ridiculous deux ex-machina like the silly twins theory . I didn't read the books and I don't care if that is what happens there , that is simply a bad television cliche and the worst way to finish this story . But at this point the guy that slept with Aria a couple of episodes back can be A for all I know

I sincerely hope the show finishes in season 5 , there is simply no more story to tell . I think it's about time the audience and the girls know who A is , and they should do it at the beginning of the season ( maybe episode 100 ? ) and not at the last scene of the last episode . In that way the conclussion of the story can be progresive and coherent , and not a bunch of messy plot lines that lead to a ridiculous reveal that Lucas is A because Alison gave him a bad look in third grade .

The last season should be as much as the reveal of who is A as of the payback for the girls towards their torturer.
More+
Flag
nicely said
Flag
It was clearly said that Ali survived because Grunwald had a vision or something. And also because she was good at holding her breath.
About the guy not shooting, I always get the impression that A could kill them anytime, but the game would end then..
Flag
God that episode was ridiculous!! I mean yeah, sure, we got SOME answers but of course, those were not the answers we were actually looking for! This whole flashback about what Ali did that night was quite boring and didn't make any sense! The girl had like 6 encounters during ONE night?! Come on!! The worst of it all was Mrs D. burying her own daughter without actually checking if she was alive. Being knocked out doesn't stop your heartbeat!! I didn't quite understand the whole "mom I'm alive can't you see me?!" thing. Was she dreaming or paralysed or something?! So then she woke up, got pulled out of there by that psychic and just ran into Mona who just happened to know how to use a bandaid and saved the poor girl's life! I mean come on, it's insane!! That psychic drove all the way from Ravenswood to rescue her?! How much time did it take her? How the hell did Ali survive all this time without running out of air?! And then Ali explains she helped the girls whenever their lives were threatened but how is it that she manages to get one step ahead of A but can't figure out who it is?? It's weird! So of course, in the end the girls get chased by a guy with a hoodie who, I guess, doesn't use guns very often otherwise he/she would know that you don't have to be 1 foot away from your target to fire! And then Ezra came ot of nowhere telling her/him he knew who it was and pretty much signed his own death warrant. Of course he knows, of course he's gonna die and of course the guy's gonna get away! No surprise there! I'm so pissed about all of it that I can't even try to figure out who the hell A really is!!! I don't give a damn anymore at this point!!

I totally agree with you about the weird fact that everyone who helps Ali is kinda bullying the girls. What's up with that?! And why the hell did Mona start to be A in the first place?! It seems like the last time she saw Ali, they both were nice to each other! I think Melissa killed "that girl" and maybe that is why she got involved in all of this. A was blackmailing her I guess. And why the hell did Cece show up that night wearing Ali's outfit?! And what about Jason? God that episode was ridiculously ridiculous!
More+
Flag
I think Mona was already a hoodie at that time. I'm really bummed Cece's role wasn't explained at all, from her being there with the same outfit, to her in the red coat.
Flag
Totally! There are so many blanks!
Flag
I always thought A was Jason after he was the one who got screwdrivered by Aria on the train when she was locked in that box. But then no one ever mentioned it again. It makes sense to me that Mrs D would want to protect her family. Unless I missed something that eliminated him from the suspects list?
I still think this episode was a good season finale. Ok so we don't know who A is but the show would have to end for it to be revealed. I am finally glad we know the answers to that night including who buried Ali and why the girls all went to sleep so quickly on a sleep over night - that always bugged me. So I feel like the show is finally moving forward, albeit slooooooowly.
Flag
Hey, i love your reviews and i mostly agree with you. I like the show but it's getting so...not fun anymore. Loved you joke about B ..hilarious .
What i thought of this episode was ..well first of the title-A is for answers. Yeaah..more like A is for more annoying questions. It was supposed to be an episode where Ali tells all and we find out a lot of the burning questions from previous seasons. Of course , it kind of sucked.
What we found out was - Ali was tormented by A and was trying to figure out who it was. She started eliminating suspects-Jenna, Toby, Spencer and the girls, Ian, Melissa , Byron and ..Ezra. Apparently she didn’t know Mona was A back then. Mona saw her on the side of the road and helped her escape by suggesting she ”stays” dead to throw A off [yeah right]
Cece was back claiming to know Ali’s alive and who killed the girl in Ali’s grave, which remains to be seen since it’s just another question to put on our list .
Melissa was back
Noel was helping Ali and she was living in his apartment because he travels a lot [it figures since he is rarely in Rosewood but isn’t he in high school? Where are his parents?] Also, he is the person they saw last week.
Ali pushed Ian of the bell tower,saved Hannah from the fire and visited her in the hospital.
She met Ezra at a pub and they talked about ”Tender is the night ” it all seemed cute and nice but he later realized she was 16 and told her he couldn’t see her anymore despite liking her[ oh come on , Ezra you knew Aria was 16 but that didn’t stop you! ]
Mrs D. buried her daughter and saw her get murdered but said nothing cause she is a horrible mom . And she was probably protecting someone but who damn it.
More questions-What did Melissa whisper into her dad’s year? Ali pushed Ian but she said he was alive after ..so who killed him ? Who killed Mrs D? A or whoever was in Philly so who was it? Probably the same person who” killed” Ali and who she was protecting. Who the fuck is A?? And how is A so athletic ? I mean to jump like that and escaping.Also , if Mona was A back then was she the A threatning Ali with murder or was it the person who killed her? Who is the other girl and who killed her? Why ? Because she looked like Ali or another reason? Are there mutliple A’s who just kind of walk around town and spy on the girls? Is uber A the person who tried to kill Ali and if Mrs D knew why didn’t she just tell Ali who A was? Ezra was so dumb i mean he knew A’s identity or whoever that was and still he said i know who you are. Man, you don’t tell someone who has a gun pointed at you that you know who they are ! Of course he got shot protecting the girls [yes him and Aria are so getting back together ewww] and instad of saying hey girls i know who A is and it’s…. he just stared and said It’s so beautiful . Oh God, they don’t care Ezra i mean how could they? They’ve had a crazy stalker for 4 years trying to murder them. I know Ezra won’t die and him and Aria will get back together so it wasn’t a big cliffhanger. Will he reveal A or have memory loss cause the writers are too afraid to reveal anything more than a few bits of the mystery.What are Noel’s secrets? Does anyone care?

More+
Flag
Ezra may have left clues or some data somewhere!
Right now Ali's tale doesn't write off the list at least Cece and Wren and we already know he's being suspicious talking suspiciously on the phone at Radley.
Flag
Noel doesn't own the place Ali stays in. They are 2 seperate people. Other than that, I totally agree with you! SOOOO many damn questions! And what about Mr DiLaurentis?!
Flag
It would appear A is not for Answers.
Flag
One question. If Ezra knew who the masked person was, why not shout out their name instead of "I know who you are!"? Wouldn't you be like, "Jeff! Stop it! Enough with the gun."
Flag
Staff
I always knew Jeff was A. Damn it, Jeff.
Flag
I don't think he knew 100%, I think he was pretty confident and trying to bluff his way through the rest of it.
Flag
Yeah, he was bluffing...
Flag
Yeah,i've been wondering the same thing.
Flag
Where the hell did Noel Khan come from? Allison said he had secrets too so why didn't she mention them in her story?
Why weren't the girls more excited and curious when they saw Allison? This is the friend that they had assumed was dead for so long and was in serious danger. Considering they only had a couple of hours to piece everything together, or Ali threatened to leave, they just seemed soo relaxed. Knowing the situations they'd been in before, they should've rushed Allison to tell as much as she could in case something happened. Instead, they were wandering around her pad with Hanna looking for snacks.
Why did Alison previously say she didn't trust Spencer yet in this episode she ruled Spencer out of hurting her?
Don't CeCe and Mrs Hastings know each other? They didn't even seem to share a look of recognition when they saw each other in the station.
Why didn't the episode get back to CeCe after she said she knew who tried to kill Alison? (also, didn't she look like kesha in this episode?!)
How come A clearly had the strength and body of a grown man yet screamed like a little girl? I don't think that scream belonged to A as some other people suggest.
What about Toby? Allison didn't rule him out, she said she liked to believe his lies or something like that.
Why the hell didn't they shoot A in the leg or something? And why didn't Hanna try to shoot A when they got to the other building top? It's worth a try.
Also, when Ezra was shot, why didn't they try to help him at all instead of shouting hysterically? Spencer is supposedly so smart yet she didn't even know you should try to control the bleeding via applying pressure.
The writers and producers already hinted they won't make Alison have a twin like the books. Maybe her mum or Jason will be the one with the twin? It could've also been Wren who possibly could've been asked by Melissa to get rid of Alison? Maybe Wren killed the wrong girl who is now buried in Allison's grave.
More+
Flag
Cece totally looked like Kesha! And the not trusting Spencer just doesn't make sense!
Flag
One big question still left unanswered for me is WHY ANYONE WAS ACTUALLY EVER FRIENDS WITH ALLISON TO BEGIN WITH. I mean, am I wrong? This girl was the WORST. She was pretty awful to everyone she knew, including her family. That is the one question that PLL will never be able to answer!
Flag
They were friends with her because they were desperate to become popular, and Allison was able to make that happen.
Flag
OH TEENAGERS! They're so impressionable!
Flag
She's beyond the worst. It's never made sense to me that they were so invested in her when she's done nothing but ruin their lives but you know, now she's back which means she's really just a misunderstood victim. This just proves they don't know what they're doing. Why make Allison so horrible for four years if she's going to be revealed to be alive and join the group? This whole episode felt more like retcon and wedging in answers made up on the fly. But I guess I'll take it.
Flag
another season finale down, another fake out reveal in the books. at this point, I imagine we'll learn who A is in the series finale. the writers appear to believe that we're dumb enough to fall for a season finale A reveal every time.

and that was some AAAwful acting by the ladies when Ezra was shot. I cringed. I laughed. Then I shook my head because I'm still watching this show.
Flag
I totally agree with you! I cringed, I laughed and then I shook my head! Damn it!
Flag
Horrid acting but I feel like Ian Harding sold it the worst. His delivering of "So beautiful" made me laugh out loud.
Flag
totally.
Flag
lol
Flag
Lame and fuck you PLL. Silly me,thinking we would get some answers,but this is just a joke on us. In first 5min,they could explain what happened that night...we all knew Spencer didn't do it,was pissed that they dragged that part so long and then all crying...fuck you,fuck you,fuck you!!!!(guess I'll be back for next season,but I already know,how it'll go,so I'll only watch maybe few episodes and if nothing really good happens,I am out).

Best this season had to offer,was reveal of Ezra,but they backed down on that,they backed down on Ali pretty much on everything..oh Ian,we didn't do it,Ezra we didn't do it,....I am scared running for my life,but here I am defending my friends,now scared again,.....

I know Melissa was surprised cops,where in house,but I thought more like,that actress doesn't want to be there no more:D And if Tobi went to London to get her,where is he? Same as ever,one stupid thing after another. Ali drugging girls,of course she ain't gonna get no text,because Aria was drugged. Ezra "I know,who you are....(but don't worry I ain't gonna say your name in front of the girls,your secret is safe with me)"
Flag
know,who you are....(but don't worry I ain't gonna say your name in front of the girls,your secret is safe with me) xax you made my day !
Flag
those girls are so stupid! I mean if I was being stalked by some A and one of my ex best friends who's trying to protect me has a frkn gun in her hand standing in front of A or A's little helper how couldn't I ask my friend to just shoot the damn idiot? I mean A obviously shot at them and shot Ezra. It's self-defense
Flag
Exactly! They didn't have to shoot to kill, either. Shoot him in the leg and when he falls down, run up and de-mask him. It's hardly rocket science!
Flag
Jason would be the most obvious person that Mrs D would protect but I reckon it is too obvious. I have heard that in the books that Alison has a twin. What if that is who A is? My theory is that Alison has a twin that she doesn't know about because she tried to kill her when they were little. Remember that story about the twins that Alison told in the Halloween episode? I reckon that actually happened. And either this twin has been in Radley, or seriously needs to be committed. The twin hit Alison over the head and is responsible for all of the harassment because she wants to torment her sister and anyone she is associated with. That would explain why Mrs D would cover up Alison's death and repeat hysterically "what have you done". After all, a mother will do anything to protect her child even if their child is a homicidal maniac.
Flag
Yeah, I gave this theory much thought too, and I'm sticking to it. Makes the msot sense to me.. And the Halloween stories always bugged me in that way.
Flag
They've made it very clear that they won't be doing the "Ali twin" story on the show. However, they have hinted that someone has a twin. Considering Mrs. D's warning never to turn your back to a Hastings, it could be someone in that family. Or she's protecting them because Jason has a twin.
Flag
Only thing is if this theory is right she must have a guy working with her because that was definitely a guy with a mask on who was shooting at them.
Flag
Who would Mrs D be so willing to protect? Jason is the only person I can think of. And are we sure the dead Mrs D is present day Mrs D??
Flag
yeah maybe Mrs D has a twin sister in Radley...
Flag
As usual, A is for answer, but we didnt get what we wanted most... And conveniently the person who knew who it was, was Ezra. Again, conveniently he was shot. Can you believe that face he gave while saying 'So Beautiful..' When I saw that, I was like.. O sh*t.. he is going to be able to tell us... So, who could it be? Wren? Working for Melissa? Melissa has a lot of reasons to kill Allison? Obviously it is not Allison's mom, she has been trying to protect her (i think, by burying her... convincing everyone she is dead... or that handsome cop guy.. what is his name? Gabriel? Why isn't CeCe in Allison's story? Lucas is coming back in Season 5.. is he a friend or foe? Will Paige be)
Flag
I'm so confused about CeCe's role in all this!
Flag
right? right? is she a friend? or foe?
Flag
Especially when she was wearing red coat
Flag
right? right? right? is she on the A team?
Flag
(Will Paige be there?) haha.. sorry.. lame fingers on lame keyboard..
Flag
Mrs D in the grave wasn't in current times, she was wearing a different outfit and was in with the police. My bet is that she is the one with the twin. The twin hit Ally over the head, the twin killed Mrs D that's who's body they found and it's an impostor walking around now (also would explain why 'Mrs D' was so against the grave being dug up again).
Flag
Nevermind, I'm wrong on that.
Flag
it's present time, I just checked and she's wearing the same in both her grave and the police station.
Flag
She is wearing that trench coat and pink shirt at the police station, so the end is in present time.
Flag
awesome thanks, I didn't notice that
Flag
And I'm almost certain Jason is involved with the whole A thing now, which is weird, because I've never suspected him before now.
Flag
Not even when it was revealed he was the one who got stabbed by the screwdriver when Aria was trapped in the box on the train?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I’ve long ago resigned myself to the fact that Pretty Little Liars is never gonna make any kind of recognizable sense. It’s complete and utter madness and you’ll never convince me that since the beginning the show hasn’t been the writers just throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks. That being said this wasn’t a bad finale. Didn’t make a lick of sense, yet somehow I was entertained.

If you’re watching PLL for answers you’re not doing it right. You watch Pretty Little Liars simply to be in awe of the bullshit the writers come up with every passing episode/season. With a story so convoluted the end of PLL will make the reveal of Dan as Gossip Girl look like it was from a drama writers masterclass.
Flag
I loved Allison starting point
Flag
Well Played Allison... but we forgot Wren at this part of the game.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members