A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Pretty Little Liars S04E17: "Bite Your Tongue"

It was really only a matter of time before Spencer followed in the footsteps of her high-strung, over-achieving forebears. Jessie Spano, you live on in these Liars.

Whatever manner of prescription "study aid" Spencer got from Andrew (who I guess is still reeling from that side boob action he enjoyed during her "nothing to live for" phase), it seems like Ms. Hastings is trying to make up for a stunning shut-out performance last week where she basically did everything wrong. She needed a win, and there's only one puzzle available to her now that Toby is legally bound to shut the eff up about his mom is the diary. So she pulled an all-nighter to analyze Alison's catty diary filled with poor analogies and unfortunate couplets. I mean, it's not like they've had homework since Season 3 anyway.

For all her painful transcribing of the wild loops and pillowy curves that make up the handwriting of every popular American teenage girl, it didn't seem like she needed to cloister up all night to digest the material. We watched her pore over this story for two straight days: squinting her eyes at blurry text from her camera phone, tapping out words and alternate words into her computer, marking up print-outs. And what did she wake up Hanna with at 4am? The name of a bar that was in the very first sentence: The Hart and the Huntsman. "I dropped a bunch of Dexatrim for this?" I imagine Spencer saying.

Luckily for her, she got a break. The story detailed Alison showing her stories to an older man, who complimented her on her voice while eating boysenberry pie and chasing it with beer. I feel like if that's your thing and you like those hops mixing it up with one of the more obscure pie fillings, go nuts. You only get one go on this crazy rock. Apparently, though, the people in Rosewood took umbrage to such a culinary combo, so much so that it was almost a running gag throughout Spencer's adventures in stretched time and space. So what are the chances that she would not only find Ezra sitting at a table at this pub near his alma mater but that he would also be shoveling circumstantial evidence into his face? And Spencer would also find out that he ordered a Board Shorts beer—which, on top of being a terrible name for a beer, is Alison's nom de guerre for the dude who's been following her! Who'd a thunk?

Damning as all this seems, the only real thing we can take from this is that Ezra has an alibi for the horror tropes happening to Emily and Hanna. Call me skeptical, but it's hard to believe that our storytellers would let this much incrimination pile up on one character if he was actually a villain. What began as a told-ya-so dance following the Halloween special has tempered into weariness of a red herring rearing its foul-smelling head, which itself is becoming bitter disappointment that Ezra just likes little girls and his participation in the A Team may be academic.

While he's definitely involved in some way (listening to audio tapes of Alison confessions, texting about obstacles re: Alison), it's hard to pin any level of stewardship in the A Army on him. It's too easy now. He's a patsy. In fact, for all we know he could be plotting some counterinsurgency with Mona.

Mona: the moon of my life. Post-Radley, post-trying-to-get-along-with-everyone Mona is the all-too-rare treat this show is missing among a lot of characters that've been taking themselves way too seriously lately. While she's not especially hilarious or quick with a Hanna-zinger, the fact that she's basically over the Liars makes me smile. She makes some great points, like when she told Aria to suck it up. It's interesting to look at things from her perspective, like how she made that sacrifice to save Ashley but the Liars still couldn't trust her and still couldn't let her join their reindeer games. All of which made sense to we the viewers at the time, but the Liars looks like jerks when you put it like that.

So, instead of begging the Liars for friendship, Mona is going to take a lover and that lover is going to be Mike. Aria's brother Mike. Fat Hanna base-rounder Mike. Shows up in so few episodes that when he does appear you have to make sure the character is being played by the same actor Mike. We know that Mona is running a game and we can't be sure what game that is, but you have to admit that's a baller move. No one gets into heads quicker than Miss Obliquitous Needs Alliances.

With Ezra, Mona, and Mike being part of a shady triumvirate, the pieces are falling together. No, Ezra probably did not haunt either Emily or Hanna while knocking back some Board Shorts and boysenberry, but it makes you wonder if Mona and Mike were the hoodies participating in the common tropes to befall half of our Liars.

Hanna spent the whole episode getting side glances from the viewers as she boasted to reading three James Patterson books in a week and digging for more. I get that Hanna not having to worry about a man right now frees up a lot of her time, but she's gone from struggling to finish any book for school to busting out three a week? I call shenanigans.

Plus, all that mystery novel reading can only get you into trouble. The dental records seem like an obvious thing to check out, but I like that she needed the books to help her adopt her own sleuthing strategy for when Spencer went maverick. It was just an unfortunate time to strike out on her own. Hanna's tooth message is something I've been looking forward to (I think that's the wrong way to put it—anticipating cautiously?) since the promo that aired after the Halloween special for Season 4B. While I'd hoped it was a 12 Monkeys-style tracker that been planted in Hanna's teeth while she was sleeping, the fact that someone carried out one of the main fears people must have regarding that chair (being gas-roofied has to at least be in the top five) and basically put a tightly wound fortune inside one of Hanna's cavities is way creepy. With all the physical invasions A has perpetrated, it's surprising these girls are able to function at all.

Enter soft-shelled, gullible, easily cracked Emily. We've talked before about how all these girls struggle to live their lives under the burden of A, how they've lost their identities and motivation for anything outside of A and Alison. It came through this week while we watched a red-eyed and exhausted Spencer examine the strip of paper she'd just pulled out of her friend's bleeding mouth. The only things that seem to be keeping Aria from completely falling apart are her investment in Ezra, being able to see not-his-kid, and not being eternally creeped out by Ezra saying that everyone gets what they deserve... eventually (seriously, this show is laying it on super thick). And Emily is a total wreck: getting stabby with the scissors, smashing out windows, demanding that her dad Spider-Man up a drainpipe to save her.

These are girls strung out on stress. Their brains seem fried. Suddenly, schoolwork has come back into their lives and it's hard to imagine how they could possibly support the extra weight of their last year in high school. However, the desperation seems to make them more interesting, so we have that to look forward to. We're making our way down an intriguing path. Let's hope it keeps its momentum and Toby doesn't come back to cry about his mom in the next couple of episodes.

NOTES

– "Some people don't tuck and roll every time I come into a room." That's a fair point, though somewhat diluted by the fact that she just came out of Aria's bedroom. No one seems to be very scared of Mona when she walks the hallways or when she's part of a crowd. After being institutionalized for a list of heinous bullying crimes, you would think there'd be more fallout. Like, "Mona has to move to a new town" kind of fallout. But nah. If Rosewood is about anything, it's forgive and forget.

– "Was Mona here to poop or snoop?" Thanks, Aria, for my new go-to line if I ever see anyone wandering around my stuff while claiming to go to the bathroom. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it's going to be sweet.

– I completely forgot about the car crash into the living room.

– Quote on the blackboard: "You start a question, and it's like starting a stone. You sit quietly on the top of a hill; and away the stone goes, starting others; and presently some bland old bird (the last you would have thought of) is knocked on the head in his own back garden and the family have to change their name." Again from Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this time between two people discussing what happens at Jekyll's house and one basically saying he tries not to think about it.

– More book references: Along Came a Spider by James Patterson (also the name of this week's Ravenswood episode), Secret Revenge by Ivy Dunbar (not real—the second book of the series by Ivy Dunbar that doesn't exist), and the book that Detective Nice Guy suggested (welcome back), The Land of Blood and Ice by Verner Yorsten (which also doesn't exist). How can I add more books to my GoodReads if you keep making up fake titles, show?

– "Drop the cougar crap and tell me why you're after a tenth-grader." Cougars get younger and younger.

– Jesse the new school counselor is just nice enough to be Uber A. I'm just saying.

– Hanna: "You're lucky my mom finished her box of chardonnay." Ashley and wine: OTP 4-Eva.

– I'm not sure what kind of thought experiment the Hoodie in the school taunting Emily was trying to perform by flicking the lights on and off, paying metal on the loudspeker, and reprogramming the LED board to read "Act normal, bitch!" What is normal behavior in a strobe-lit pop-metal high school after dark? In that case, I think jumping out a second story window is the normal thing to do.

– Spencer looked ready to explode her secret about Ezra all over the place when Aria asked about the monster who could do these things. Fingers crossed that that runaway train starts rolling down the tracks next week.

– Your Moment of A: A Hoodie starts shredding all the waiting room lists Hanna tried to steal and uses the shreds as cage liner for Polly the Parrot. The evidence must have been pretty good... for birds to poop on!

What did you think of "Bite Your Tongue"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/25/2017

Season 7 : Episode 12

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/2/2017

Season 7 : Episode 13

66 Comments
Comments (66)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sigh...can we give some credit that Hanna must have been onto someeting to cause A to take her out. While I am with you on the Jesse suspicious front (he and Ezra kind of seem to be about the same age and a partnership might make a lot of sense) I think time wise Ezra could have done the Hanna thing and make it to the pub. I think Emily happened the night before (but wouldn't be surprised if that might have been a bungling of Mike's first team A assignment). I am kind of wondering if Aria is going to be slowly recruited especially if you think Jesse is suspicious.
Flag
Where do i see the show
Flag
Staff
If you mean where do you tune in, it's on ABCFamily Tuesday nights at 8PM.

If you mean where ONLINE can you watch it, that's a little trickier. You used to be able to watch it on Hulu but it's since been removed, the videos now being available for streaming on ABCFamily (http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/pretty-little-liars/) has put in a surprisingly silly security measure much like WatchESPN (a sister site) where you have to log into your cable/satellite account and have ABCFamily verify that you're a subscribed customer to a service before letting you watch an episode.

It's surprising given PLL's ginormous online/social-media-engaged audience that they would force a IRL-based restriction on viewing the episodes but thems the breaks.

You can also buy the episodes on iTunes or Amazon, too.

If you mean where in Rosewood could you visit to watch Aria, Spencer, Emily, and Hanna wander through the traps set by an omniscient bully in person, we should have a talk.
Flag
Wow I just got Netflix so I could watch it but season 4 is not on it yet.
Flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the song that's playing when Aria and Em bust Mike's party is similar to the metal that comes on when Em is being terrorized at the school by hoodie A
Flag
Staff
Maybe similar in genre but they don't seem the same to my ear. The song when Emily's being told to act normal is "V for Vengeance" by Uriah (YouTube). The time signature seems slightly different in the song at Mike's party.
Flag
I found nothing appealing or interesting about this weeks show except for Mona. I think she's the only character I tune in for now. All of them look far too old to be teenagers and that makes the show look clunky and ridiculous to me. I am not even certain when there's a storyline anymore. All I see is wardrobes and posing.

The stuff they are pulling with Hanna is just weird. It's like they are making fun of her by trying to make her character smarter.

Aria is about as interesting as a block of wood.

Emily is still the stand in the middle of the room furrowing a brow while pouting queen.

Spencer who used to be at least engaging is just and has been freewheeling nuts since she entered Radley.

Flag
The problem with this show is that they have brought in some many characters and have way to many stories going on and they never seem to be able to close major plot lines.
Flag
I agree, and with all the characters you forget who people are. Or at least, I do sometimes.
Flag
I have to say something that I've been thinking since Now You See Me, Now You Don't, when we got Ezra as an A suspect... you can laugh at me, but I truly believe miss Montgomery is, in Mona's words, Big A. In this episode we saw an almost frenetic Hoodie, the girls have a bussy nigth but Aria did not. Spencer get some answers and more questions, Hanna and the creepy dentist and Emily and the Metal-lover Hoodie. What the hell did A to Aria today? I begining to think Aria met Ezra even before we believe they did, they together like a sick psychopathic couple.
Flag
Aria is a and she known Ezra before she dated him because Ezra was dating Alison whom he knocked up in one episode Alison mentions Ezra's mom and Aria cuts her off she doesn't even react to Alison talking about Ezra's mom. You can get insight on this by searching pretty little liar theories the ones I looked at are
http://pltheories.com/post/67983179418/submission-deleted-pll-blog
http://www.wetpaint.com/pretty-little-liars/articles/2014-01-31-crazy-fan-theory-toby-twin
http://leeleespeaks.weebly.com/6/post/2014/01/pretty-little-liars-why-i-think-aria-is-a.html
these actually all make sense
Flag
Staff
The "nothing happens to Aria" thing is also what bolsters the "Mike is A" and "EzrA" hypotheses, since they both have vested interests in Aria being all right. It's pretty clear something is up, however, what with Aria not having been hit since she was drugged by Byron's former paramour but that might just be comorbid with all the other things happening in their lives and a clever ruse to throw off people that might conflate the slow poisoning with an action of A.

Or it could be that the show thinks the fact that Ezra is A will be the comeuppance Aria is owed for being spared so many times of an A attack. You can also make the arguement that Emily and Hanna have been attacked individually more than Spencer and Aria combined.
Flag
... have been torturing Ali and the girls for years :s
Flag
Interesting....
Flag
Was I the only one thinking that maybe Mike is gay, and Mona is his beard? There is something really off about their relationship. I think he's in that support group to talk about being in the closet. (I remember Marlene King saying something in an interview about introducing a gay character this season. I might be wrong though, and she IS known for basically lying every time she opens her mouth...)

And it's pretty obvious that Ezra ISN'T A. If they wanted him to be A, they wouldn't tell us this early. (Although, since most people automatically think that, it WOULD be a surprise if he actually IS A. Wow. This show.)

And okay, some advice for the liars:

1. When the person who has tormented you for ages is standing outside the room trying to open the door... Just take 2 sec to run over there and snap a photo of him/her.

2. When you find documents that may reveal your stalker, snap a photo of them with your phone. Especially since the stalker is known to be a superhuman freak that keep stealing evidence and stuff.

I know this show isn't realistic at all, but... The writers doesn't have to treat their viewers as morons.
More+
Flag
I've thought the same thing for years, that Mike is gay. Also Ezra is A I. Marlene King even said so.

Flag
I like your point of #1, because I have a feeling that by the time I got here, I'd be in a let's-do-this mood, grab a weapon and try to see who the hell it is. These girls take patient fear to a whole new level.
Flag
Nah, Mona and Mike are legit in love. We'll see their relationship develop further in upcoming episodes.
Flag
"Shows up in so few episodes that when he does appear you have to make sure the character is being played by the same actor Mike."
No joke! I seriously ask that every time I see him.
Flag
Where the hell is Piper? Wut da hail!!!
Flag
In Europe with hot (and maybe a little young) coffee shop owner/worker.
Flag
I have to say that it was the first episode since long time that I enjoyed. PLL was once a pretty good teenage thriller. "Bite Your Tongue" reminded me of the good old times.
Flag
Too excited that Wyatt Halliwell was on Pretty Little Liars (please give Holly Marie Combs a scene with him, please, please)... what happened in this episode again? But for real, can we accept that the Alison/Ezra scenario was in Spencer's head re: the diary story, and was a 'dramatization' of what actually occurred? And the story didn't narrate "And then I leaned in and kissed him." Because this is family television. Way to drive home the Ezra-creep factor abc-family...
Flag
Interesting how angry Emily was at Spencer over Alison when two weeks ago, she was basically writing Alison off herself.

Aria hating on Mona: SInce Erza might be on the A team, I guess it's her turn to go toe-to-toe with Mona.
Flag
the episode was pretty boring.

Flag
Does anyone remember Chris Cavanaugh from season two i think? This could be C. Cavanaugh?
Flag
I had the same thought about the new counsellor, either that or Aria will ditch Ezra and start dating him
Flag
I've come to the conclusion this show can only end with the girls finding out Allison actually set up this whole cat and mouse game herself because she's a sociopath (maybe Ezra's trying to stop her?) and the girls kill her for real.

Flag
I was thinking the same when Ezra told her all great literature boils down to love and death...she faked her death and created all this drama to show she could write with the "mature voice" Ezra thought she didn't have yet.
Flag
I'm so close to reaching the point of just not watching this show anymore. PLL has never been realistic but it's gotten so far from the point of resembling any kind of rational thought, that I spend far too much time rolling my eyes at this show. These characters don't even think the way people do, they only think in ways that are convenient for the storyline (or in this episode's case, the makings of a "kind of" cool shot).

That Emily scene was just so over-the-top ridiculous, I can't deal with it. A) What was the rational behind that A attack? Was A going to kill Emily in the middle of the school? Cause that wouldn't have prompted any kind of investigation. I'm also assuming Emily volunteering for the school play (or whatever it was she was doing late at night in the school) will be quickly forgotten about as it was just set-up for that scene. B) Emily smashing the window just reeked of TV tropes no one would ever do in real life but her dad responding by climbing up the drainpipe and risking both of their lives has to take the cake. What person (who isn't either insane or Spider-Man) would do that? Especially someone who knew they had a heart problem. Call the police, try to bust in the front door, sure but climb a story up a drainpipe to pull your daughter out a shattered window? That just did it for me.
More+
Flag
I also thoroughly enjoyed that, being an army man, his first instinct wasn't to open the door and attack the person trying to attack his daughter... #logic.
Flag
This story seriously got out of control! Anything that happens in those episodes doesn't even shock or surprise me anymore because I'm starting to expect Alison to be something like a Teenage Bin Laden. The way the A-Team wants her and tries everything to keep the truth hidden... She really must have done something for that to happen. And getting a teacher to love you or something gross like that is not worth that kind of trouble. Alison must be worth more than some million dollars.

And what is it about those teachers? Ezra apparently has a thing for students in general and that new counselor... I kind of got the feeling he's hot for Aria too.
Flag
Did anyone else notice the C.Cavanaugh name on the appointment sheet A was shredding in the ending scene? Suspicious
Flag
The C. Cavanaugh clue may just be a red herring. According to IMDB, Chris Cavanaugh is a digital imaging technician for PLL, and if you look at the other names on the list, they match up with a lot of production crew that work on PLL.
Flag
But isn't that Toby's last name? And didn't Toby's father want to settle with the mental institution? Maybe he's linked into this somehow too.
Flag
Does anyone remember Chris Cavanaugh from season two i think?
Flag
Yes. He was a student that he went to the same blind school as Jenna. He was signed out by A.J Taylor and signed back in minutes before Jenna was signed out by Garrett. This all occurred the day that Allison disappeared.
Flag
Yep I saw it...which means mother is alive,as I thought she is. She's the one helping Ezra I think.
Flag
His mother's name was marien so there goes that theory... but i do agree with on the fact that his mom may be alive. That woman that Ezra was yelling at in the car a few episodes ago looked a lot like his mom.
Flag
could be her just signing a different first initial.. she is ment to be dead remember..
Flag
Yeah but... why not come up with a fake last name as well?
Flag
Oh:D...there's goes my theory:D Is it really my fault,since those scenes with Toby crying were so painful:D
Flag
I wanted to pay attention to those names but felt to lazy :P Please no more of the Cavanaugh family!
Flag
"ACT NORMAL,BITCH" LMFAO!!!
Probably best episode so far of season 4.
Flag
Seriously why don't these girls just move? Also, Emily is frightened in her own home but seems rather content to bike to school at night and just hang out there when it is deserted. It has been some time since I was in high school, but what kind of school just lets their students operate school equipment at any hours of the day without any supervision? I mean they literally had a student living there at one point and didn't seem to notice. Ezra was supposed to be supervising but seemed to busy rigging the school's PA system or injecting Hannah with a needle.

I liked this episode though. It was nice to see A tormenting the girls again and to see Hannah and Spencer taking some agency and looking for clues. I'm glad Spencer and Emily made up at the end, the girls have enough enemies, best they stick together. Not happy they introduced yet another new character, the counselor, and why they brought back that detective is beyond me.

Lingering question: Was Ezra's text "There's been a setback re: Allison" confirmation that he is just a minion and not actually calling the shots? It seems pretty obvious that this is the case anyway (as there is a season 5 yet to come) ,but was curious if other people thought this might be proof.
More+
Flag

Wow things got super crazy this week first with hanna's trip to dentist, then with Emily Xeroxing that turned into a horror movie, plus wide eyed spencer is back and aria just being aria as always. So much has happened this episode!!!.

Well hanna got a new lead by a hunky FBI agent (is he working for the FBI or rosewood police? I'm not sure) any way looks like the beginning of a new love interest, travis who?? Seriously travis who? I keep forgetting his name. also how creative is A with his/her messages this episode, like now they found one in Hanna's mouth how the hell is A going to top that one out, I mean aside from the fact that A is very psychotic , it takes a lot of talent to come up with all of this shenanigans so I'm just really impressed. bravo A you crazy bitch you outdone yourself yet again.

So here is my theory about emily I think A is trying to make her look insane which honestly is the easiest job in the world because emily seem to have a frightened look on her face style "deer stuck in headlights" in almost every scene so I'm guessing by the end of this season maybe she is going to be committed to radley because we never got to resolve toby's stupid boring story line and I'm guessing will have to go back there eventually :(. also how disappointing it is to be rescued by your daddy Rambo only to find him minutes later lying on the ground catching his breath this sort of thing would have never happened to john mcclane ("die hard" reference ).

Spencer was on! this episode she discovered who" board shorts " finally is and she did all that by not catching any sleep or wearing makeup and popping up pills, I think crazy spencer is back !!! Expect awesomeness. only it seems like she isn't going to be chocking mona any time soon because aria seems to be heading that direction. I kept thinking what mona meant by that wall paper remark , I always admired that wall paper but it does seem kinda psychotic wall paper when you think about the other girls , hanna has like pink feathers, emily has all those flowers and spencer has some kinda of a pink harmless grandma like and aria's wall paper in contrast to them screams mental but I actually really really like it. I hope it doesn't say anything about me, oh well who am I kidding, that crazy ship has sailed. Can't wait for next week.

More+
Flag
"I think crazy spencer is back !!"

Nah, it's druggie Spencer from the books ...
Flag
No half-decent dentist or dental hygienist would close up shop with a patient still in the exam chair. I hope the identity of who was buried in place of Ali turns into a big clue about who put Ali there first, who uber-A is, and just what happened that night.

Why, instead of repeating that she thought she knew who she should be scared of but was wrong, doesn't Ali explain more when she actually talks to one or more of the girls? They should have pages of questions for her by now and should someone give them to her for her to answer.

Why haven't the girls waterboarded Mona for answers about how she joined the A team, where she got the money to fund her activities, and whatever else she knows?

I know we're supposed to get a lot more answers by the end of the season, like why Spencer was awake when she heard Ali scream the night he went missing, why CeCe was dressed like Ali that night, who else saw Ali that night (seems like half of Rosewood talked to her after the girls fell asleep in the barn), and who pushed Ian off the bell tower, etc.

I read the script for a future episode that takes place after the truth about Ezra comes out, and since it wasn't the season finale or even he season's penultimate episode, there's bigger things in store. I also know what his motives & role is in all this, and while it is weird & pretty creepy, it's not really a red herring.
More+
Flag
Well Emily was in school alone,when all lights were out and no one was there. Ok Ezra might have left it unlocked for her and then locked the doors,but it's just one crazy thing after another on PLL. Like the school is only place,where u can make copies.
Flag
so Ezra is a bad seed? along with Jenna and Mona. what about Alyson?
Flag
Well that was interesting....
Flag
So Spencer now knows that Ezra was boyshorts, right? You think that would have been the first thing she told them but it wasn't mentioned. This shows pulls some unbelievable things but I seriously doubt Ezra was able to be at the pub the the school while operating on hanna.

I know how things go in the books but I know how different the show is becoming. I think that both "Alison" and Ezar are bad and are playing with the girls whether there are in it together or not i'm not sure.
Flag
Ezra is board shorts, but he's not A nor evil. (the promo of the upcoming episode is misleading)

He dated Alison but she lied to him about her age ... (I know more, but I don't want to spoil it for you guys)
Flag
I'm preety sure its boardshorts
Flag
Yeah says on bear,but doesn't Ali change names and stuff in her diary. She changed it to Boyshorts.
Flag
Spencer can't just come out and say "hey guys Ezra is boyshorts...at least I think he is" Other girls: "what's your proof??"
Spencer "I don't have any real proof yet"
Aria " well I am dating him,so I'd know"
Hannah "You are dating Mr. Fitz again??"
Emily " what's my line??"
Flag
Follow this Show
Members