A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Pretty Little Liars S04E20: "Free Fall"

Hanna and Emily were the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern of "Free Fall," except without any of the subtlety or the subterfuge.

They were two fools going through the motions of larger conspiracies, perfectly willing to be pawns in games about which they knew nothing. Last episode, strung-out Spencer had them hardcore convinced that Ezra was A, and that they had to tell Aria what's been obvious to us for years: Dating her teacher is not a good idea. Mind you, the condemning evidence wasn't about the nature of Aria's relationship with her trusted instructor, but that he's probably a stalker, a criminal liar, and party to every terrible thing that's happened to the girls in the past couple years. What Spencer, Hanna, and Emily have come to terms with is that Ezra is the manipulative, evil genius who's been finding ways into their homes, into their phones, into their private dominions with ever-increasing brilliance to get them accused of everything from shoplifting to murder.

And just episode later (the next day in story time), Ezra flipped them via Aria to turn on Spencer. After Spencer laid out all the terrible evidence against Fitz and created a compelling case, he basically said, "No way, man. She's on druuuuuuuugs." And, just like that, Hanna and Emily went from steeling themselves for whatever fallout was going to occur after they told Aria the love of her life is the curator of their misery to "Hey, Spence, I know you figured out the mysterious doom that's crushing our lives, but you look like you need a nap. so we're staging an intervention instead."

SPENCER: Where'd you get an opinion about this?

ARIA: Ezra.

SPENCER: You mean the guy I just accused of being A?

ARIA: Yeah, that guy.

SPENCER: The guy that we decided was the living worst?

EMILY: I guess?

HANNA: Who has pie?

SPENCER: Okay, great.

Jellyfish. Wafflers. Cowards. Spencer gives props to Ezra for being brilliant but, really, it's that her closest friends are wishiest and the washiest. Maybe they're not Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. Maybe they're like Scooby and Shaggy except they're both Shaggy, because at least Scooby can be plied with treats into being substantive. They were funny together, though. Hanna with her nervous snacking and blunt outbursts complementing Emily with her... straight man act. There's got to be a better way to phrase that.

It's clear their schtick was comic relief for the individual unraveling of Sparia. As Spencer shuffled around in give-ups and other people's clothes during her Adderall lulls and #AriaFindsOut, there was a need for some levity. Giving Hanna concerns like string cheese and the creepy aspects of reptiles kept things light.

Speaking of light, Spencer's life is basically a deep pit in space where not even light can escape. Her unraveling is interesting for a lot of reasons, but the circumstances around her latest setback are compelling because they're all her fault. Usually it's A pulling the strings so the girls will end up in trouble. But Spencer decided to take the pills. Spencer called the doctor's office for more. And Spencer wrapped herself in a blanket burrito of lies so tight, she didn't give herself any wiggle room. Mama Hastings found out because the doctor's office rang. It wasn't A. It was Spencer's own sloppiness combined with her blind pursuit of A. Rookie mistakes. You hate to see them happen.

A doesn't even have to do anything for these girls to bring themselves to ruin. That they've lost their personalities—and, honestly, their grip on life—in light of being tortured has bred self-destructive streaks in all of them. Spencer is popping pills to track down their bully. Emily's swimming around trying to get Ali back in her life, even though Ali was possibly the worst thing to happen to her. Hanna's eyeing smushed french fries. They're a mess.

The most important self-destruction of "Free Fall," however, was Aria's shattered blissful ignorance. It took her nearly four seasons, but she finally learned at least half of the truth we all suspected, that Ezra is the creepiest creep who ever creeped. There was no full admission of him being EzrA, nor of his involvement in any A-like activities (though he knew about the circumstances of Spencer's Radley stay), but he did cop to dating Ali when she was, at the oldest, 15, and he was 22 because she "lied about her age." I don't think her tween looks would've be enough to waive asking for ID before taking her back to Sacred Ground. But that wasn't even the dirtiest part.

No, the dirtiest part of the EzrA indictment was that he knew Aria and Co. before teaching at Rosewood High, and, therefore, intentionally found a way into Aria's skinny jeans for reasons less romantic than whatever "B-26" was trying to convey. Yes, Ezra being a member of the A team means that he watches the Liars in all aspects of their lives, stalks them, punishes them, and contributes pithy threats to their walls and teeth. None of that was confirmed this week (that he's doing all that for A, anyway), but the crushing blow to Ezria has nothing to do with how deep Ezra is within the bullying network. Everything is based on the idea that, when Ezra met Aria, it was star cross'd love at first sight. There are obstacles and ethical issues and challenges, but that's how strong their bond is. They were two strangers who knew nothing of each other and immediately knew everything.

The only solid truth we got from "Free Fall" was that he saw Aria in a bar, he knew who she was, how young she was, and still tried to seduce her. He even admitted to expressly applying for a teaching job at Rosewood High to be closer to his "subject," Alison. He knew full well that he was trying to unbutton the blouse of a future student.

There can't be a way to come back from that, right? There's no way on this earth or whatever planet like ours that Rosewood is supposed to exist on that a woman can forgive being taken advantage of in such a profound way. And that profound way may only scratch the surface of how awful Ezra truly might be. No matter how many times he pleads the case that falling in love with her was real and that he didn't expect this blah blah blah, there's no way Ezria can ever recover. Right?

Kudos to PLL for not backing down on Ezra's creepiness. There was a way out, a door left ajar, and the writers didn't backpedal their way through it. Instead we're left with a couple of shattered souls—she who found everything out and she who was told everything—dealing with the aftermath of their blind obsessions. And while Spencer and Aria curl up on their beds in fetal positions, don't forget to check out Emily and Hanna's two-woman show where Emily orders meals and Hanna steals her string cheese. It's a riot!

NOTES

– Throughout the last few episodes, PLL's production and post-production staff has flexed some strange artsy muscle. Last week's noir episode aside, the two episodes that bookended it were chock full of curious camera angles and odd sound effects. In some cases these creative decisions have done a great job of indicating Spencer's fragile state (see her waking up at Fitz's desk), while others have just been weird (like the non-diegetic wind sound that blew through Spencer's kitchen before she called the doctor one more time). The entire conversation between Aria and Ezra when Aria realized there might be something to wild-eyed Spencer's theory was full of unnerving close-ups. Keep an eye out for some of the choices they're making with this show. It's kind of in an awkward phase.

– "Did you have an accident?" Emily Fields, ladies and gentlemen.

– "I can write you a late pass." UGH. Gross, Ezra. That's probably their dirty talk, too.

What was up with Toby this episode? He was more forlorn-looking than usual. Maybe PLL has just bought into the whole #BooRadleyVanCullen thing and decided he needed to look more wistful.

– "OH MY GOD THIS IS BRILLIANT." Spencer doing the crisis version of slow-clapping her adversary was my favorite line of the episode. That A capped everything off with Wren's prescription pad was tres magnifique.

– Mike hoped that Mona would drop him an L-bomb. What the damn hell? What is wrong with teenage boys? They're either too brash and bro-y, or they're asking you to tell them you love them. I guess neediness runs in the family.

– I guess Mike doesn't know how Ezra and Mona are in cahoots, since she used that omnipresent "I need to get a reading assignment" excuse to talk to him. Sorry if you had him as a Hoodie in a pool.

– Aria tried seven times to get into the password-protected cabin with some pretty bland English-teacher-y names: "Shakespeare," "Wordsworth," and "Dickinson" were all among her attempts. Apparently, Ezra has only read books he's assigned for sophomore lit.

– The winning password, B26, was a reference to the hack free verse poem he wrote "for Aria" near the beginning of their relationship called "B-26"—as in the number Fitz punched into the jukebox to play The Fray. Ah, young love.

– The manuscript about Alison was—well, I'm just saying there's a reason that Fitz teaches.

– If you intend to read an entire, unbound manuscript, don't take it out of your purse and hold it over the edge of a rickety, rusted ski lift where doom waits for the pages. Such an Aria thing to do.

I usually don't credit (or debit) PLL's actors too much for their performances since it takes more than the actor in front of the camera to make a character come to life. But Troian Bellisario and Lucy Hale did an excellent job in their tailspins. Watching Hale cry is almost as awkward as watching Claire Danes break down, but that scene with her lying in bed, holding her stomach while recalling how often she left him do non-teachery stuff to her— oof. And, of course, Bellisario crushed it for another week. I really, really want Spencer to just take a nap.

– Your Moment of A: Gloved hands pick up the lost manuscript from the ground below the ski lift. Ezra? Someone else? I can't even venture a guess anymore.

What'd you think of "Free Fall"?

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/2/2016

Season 7 : Episode 6

122 Comments
Comments (122)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"If you intend to read an entire, unbound manuscript, don't take it out of your purse and hold it over the edge of a rickety, rusted ski lift where doom waits for the pages. Such an Aria thing to do."

This is exactly what I was thinking. The basis of the episode was great with Aria finding out (though Lucy's crying face makes me uncomfortable which I guess is realistic, I look awful when I cry) and Spencer's downfall but several things were ridiculous

• Toby's haircut, he's gone from far to much hair gel to just not brushing or cutting it at all.
  • Aria leaving her keys on the side?? Do these girls ever learn?
  • Waiting a whole day to tell Aria when they're certain Ezra is A; do they just not like Aria much? Last we saw they were literally outside her house
  • Aria just not noticing Ezra get on the ski-lift? He weighs two of her, she would feel it and more than likely see him.
  • Both of Ezria leaving the papers on the ground?

Also: Ezria is actually even more disgusting than it already was, I thought that was impossible but PLL have done it!

And props to Troian and Lucy in this episode, Lucy's scene in the forest was brilliant, lots of tension.
More+
Flag
Ezra is writing a book incriminating himself for statutory rape...
Proceeds of which would be considered profiting from a crime and thus acquired by the state...
genius.
Flag
I don't watch or really follow this show, but a) this has always creeped/grossed me out and b) we need to talk about Ezra's tan. He's orange.
Flag

"Kudos to PLL for not backing down on Ezra's creepiness."

I wont give them any kudos yet for it . For all i know , after some days of refusing even the sight of Ezra , once the gang learns that Ezra obviously isnt A , but yet another willing/unwilling partner , she'll forgive him and takes him back .

Despite the fact that even if "innocent" , the creep still pursued and seduced a second minor .

The first time "you didnt know" .... ok fine , let's pretend to bite . But seeking out Aria , then sleeping with her anyway , knowing her age ? It doesnt get creepier .

Anyway , how the hell can Aria's mother truly believe her daughter is mature enough to be left on her own (even if technically at dad's) is hilarious . Most of the PLL parents are negligent , saves Emily's (they just can't win despite trying , with such a secretive and good liar kid) , but this is astonishing .
Flag
So Ezra's just the Final Creep... a book about Alison???? Really????? Please tell me there's another reason. At least it's clear now he's not A... I'm waiting so much for Wren to come back!
Flag
I was just wondering whether anyone else thought that it was slightly suspicious that Veronica Hastings mentioned that "a few years ago" there was a time where Spencer would frequently forget what she had been doing due to overdosing on these pills. Isn't this somehow suspicious since Alison is unsure who tried to kill her and can't seem to find anyone with an exact motive. Maybe Spencer being on drugs was the motive...?
Flag
I thought she meant the time after Ali's disappearence, but your thoughts are interesting indeed. So are we suspecting Spencer?
Flag
This is brilliant. I didn't think of that. And Alison ran pretty fast when Spencer showed up to her meeting with Emily
Flag
I don't think Ali saw it was Spencer,she just heard some noise and bailed.
Flag
This was a great recap. Smart, humorous, and I liked your insights. Thanks!
Flag
Ok...the whole drug storyline....don't care..
Was really waiting for the moment that Aria would find out.
Somehow Spencer (in her defence) somehow managed to trigger something in Aria, which made her doubt Ezra...

I will be completely honest..the way she found out and how it went, was not what i expected and i missed some thril..excitement about that scene..
After running from him in the forest, they ar stuck together in a skilift..so my question is:

How long they were stuck, as we saw just a minute of their fight?
What have they talked about all this time?
Do we really believe that he was just investigating for his ""BOOK"?
How did they get off?
What happened to Ezra after they got off?
Why Ezra did not go back (hastely) to get the papers back?

it seemed so off that scene....i expected somehow more.
Hope that the whole spencer and pill thing is over soon...to be honest..it is boring...
Flag
Confused.. I have a feeling that Ezra could be A, and a feeling that says he is not A..
Flag
  • Can we just talk about Toby's horrendous new hairdo? It makes him look like he's about 12, which makes me feel like him and Spencer are having their own age inappropriate relationship, and it makes me shudder.
  • For some reason Ezra and Ali creeps me out WAY more than Ezra and Aria.Maybe it's because Ali's such a childish little bitch.
  • I laughed a lot at her tiny little child hand when she was covering her mouth in the woods.
  • I also laughed when Ezra popped up beside her in the ski lift. Like she didn't notice his weight shifting the lift or anything? How are these girls still alive? They're so unobservant!
  • Why didn't one of Ezria pick up the damn manuscript??!
  • Why did Aria leave her keys on the sideboard??
  • Worlds worst alarm system; put in password wrong twenty times, nothing happens. Put in password correctly, sends text message to cabin's creepy owner.
  • On that note, didn't Ezra tell Aria the cabin belonged to a friend of his? Why would the alarm code be something connected to Ezra then? (Obviously he lied, but she didn't know that then). Also, LOL at all the cliché school curriculum poet's names.
  • Mike and Mona... Vomit.
  • Hanna is best character.
More+
Flag
Amazing! Agree especially about Toby's hairdo!
Flag
Very funny!
Flag
I still think Ezra may be A. A is always one step ahead and I reckon he knew that Aria was on to him and that is why he cleaned up the basement and had the book with the manuscript conveniently placed for Aria to see. He wanted her to read it so that she would believe his story and draw her away from discovering the truth that he is A.
Flag
Or a little of both... he wanted the perfect true-crime novel... so he committed the crime himself and has done everything since to make his novel more exciting.
Flag
excellent. from the start. one of my suspect is Ezra. i like myself. i maybe right. its when someone needs to volunteer at school. aria's mom was thanking someone in gloves..
Flag
Aria is A. Point blank...she is A....she has split personality or what it's called...and she is A. There are clues to this and facts to support it,but since Ezra won't be A,it only leaves Aria. There are tons of stuff on net,youtube you can look and see clues,etc. Of course I am not 100% Aria is A...come on,have you been watching this show??:D But if Ezra turns out not to be A,I'll go back to Aria being A.
Flag
C'mon don't back down on Ezra being A have mercy on you PLL followers whom this show has kept on red herring after another since episode 1. But if Ezra was on A-team I'd say Melissa would be the most sensible A ever with her losing the baby and having two boyfriends snatched before her? What better reason for revenge?
Flag
I know I have been here so many times sayin miss Montgomery is A. Today, the only thing that I believed, is that A doesn't actually matter. My bet is A... A is for Alison. That girl could be playin with the liars, Rosewood and of course, all of us XD

I totally agree about Troian and Lucy's performances this week. They were awesome :D
Flag
Alison probably killed whoever was in the grave and put her there herself just to help fake her own death and then has been A to manipulate the girls into doing her dirty work and find out whoever was stalking her originally.
Flag
I've always thought that Alison was the one with split personality or just crazy and that she was the Final Villain, but ever since she was showed scared and alone I'm not so sure..
Flag
A little numb from the depth of Ezra's creepiness, but the only question I left this episode with was: WHY THE HELL DIDN'T ARIA OR EZRA PICK UP THE DAMN MANUSCRIPT THEMSELVES!

But also, did anyone count how many side to simultaneous side head-turns the girls were doing in the reptile room when the lights were flashing? I swear that was a five minute sequence. What a mess.
Flag
So y is Aly scared of him?
Flag
PLS DEAR GOD PLA DONT END THIS SERIES WITH A SILLY EXCUSE
Flag
If Ezra isn't A or part of the A Team he should know who A is anyways. Wouldn't he notice other people spying on the girls via his Camera? If he was really watching them, wouldn't he notice someone else watching them too?

Flag
Oh I totally think they are both from Hollis, study mates hanging in the hart and the huntsman. A being jealous of Alison choosing Ezra over him?
Flag
Very good point
Flag
Alright, the main points of this episode:

1. I really feel so bad for Spencer. I hate when she is spiraling, which the writers love to do. Give her a break. She needs to spend more time with Toby to calm her down. He is so sweet. All he wants is to care about you. She needs to stop treating him use crap.

2. Hanna is awesome. She always makes the episodes more light and funny, which is sometimes needed.

3. Alright, Ezra saying that he followed the Liars to write a book and do research. How lame !!

4. Mike and Mona are ugh...I really don't know how I feel about this.

5. So, Ezra is not A. Another phony A. Who's going to be A next Caleb or Paige?! since they want to target a the Liars lovers. Smh. I can't !!
Flag
For a show thats had me hooked from the beginning, (started watching series one on netflix 3 weeks ago, now completely up to date..) things are starting to get old pretty quickly.

First off, are they trying to create a new Twilight character out of Toby? The amount of time he spends roaming in the woods, and that new hair do.. all he needs is some fangs and were all set for Twilight Vol 72...

And is it just me or was the Ezra thing predicted from about half way through series 1?

The ski lift situation was the most absurd and unbelievable story line yet, and still no explanation as to how they got down, why Ezra let Aria go, why he didn't go back for this book he's spent so much time on? The list goes on...

And finally, the whole Mona and Mike thing? Completely rediculous, not to mention creepy.. "a word rhyming with glove"? Get a grip..

Get the writers on whatever Spencer's having.. maybe a night or two at work might create some better story lines?
Flag
Ezra basically confessed that he had become a pedo to write a book. Then he realized that he actually liked 15+ girls. And I thought he couldn't be more creepy... Silly me.

For the first time in PLL story I feel sorry for Aria. She was mentally raped / manipulated / used for the last four seasons and she has just found out. Poor girl :(

So I guess Spancer is going to rehab next week, right? First asylum now drugs. I guess her rock bottom is an endless abyss.
Flag
All the inconsistencies aside I...as a matter a fact no, I won't set them aside. Ezra's revelation helped nothing. I really hope the writers don't backtrack and find some way to keep Ezra out of Team-A. Otherwise, how are they supposed to explain all his cameras, the fact that he hung around Ravenswood in a WW II costume or all the other creepy things he have done lately? How did Aria and Ezra get down from the lift, and why was he so willing to throw away months of work on a book just like that? And why was Spencer suddenly so late to her own Cunning Plan Party? OK, I'll stop with these questions, there are just too many of them.

Let's start again: All the inconsistencies aside, what bothers me the most at the moment are the hints that the producers have handed us in tweets and interviews. They have clearly indicated that certain things we see are actually true and not ruses, but over and over again, they have fooled us. As I understand, they have also clearly said that Ezra is part of the A-team. So I really hope they don't change that now.
More+
Flag
Not to mention the flashes of true anger/rage we see from him. I have a feeling that will never be properly addressed. Or if it is, it'll be something ridiculously stupid.
Flag
Are we really supposed to believe these actresses look like they belong in high school; did you see what Mona was wearing on her date? She looked like she was in her mid twenties, Can we please at least have them graduate before they look older than the kids on 90210 wasn't Luke Perry Like 40 on that show in high school; (Yes I'm exaggerating but you know what I mean) So now I guess Ezra isn't A? If he was wouldn't they have just said it by now? I think he will just be another false red herring and that he's just a member of the A team and in the end he may not even be as bad as we perceive him now. It's just one bait and switch after another, Maybe Spencer's Dad is A, who knows now? Or maybe it will be Allison's twins sister from the book. If they aren't going to tell us who A is can we at least get some new story lines, these Pretty Little Liars need to tell some new lies and start some new scandals and GRADUATE!!!!!
Flag
If I had that story I would've shoved it underneath my clothes. Shame on the Liars this week for their slack, rookie behaviour after dealing with A and A-teams for 4 years. I hope the writers know Aria doesn't need a new boyfriend (esp now the schools guidance counsellor) next week.
Flag
I seriously do not trust Drama Tv at all...

I do not know what to say, about Drama Tv entertainment category anymore...

I have give it hope, destiny and fate for about 7 years now... It's always have been big disappointment, changes to storylines, relationship break-ups and even the while series itself break-ups with cancellations...

And why do we must have to wait always to the Last Season/Endgame? To see the storyline and relationships being restored back to normal again...

Maybe that is the problem with Drama Tv always getting cancel off the airwaves... They always wait to the Last Season/Endgame to restore everything back to normal again...

Heck, no!!! I am most definitely sure now, my viewership is out of Drama Tv entertainment category... There is no way i am gonna wait 5 years into the future... To see everything turn back to normal again by storylines and relationships...
Flag
I don't know whether I'm more happy or pissed off. On the one hand, I'm happy they stuck with Ezra being a frigging creep (and a weirdo). On the other hand, I feel like they want to pull another cop-out. I could forgive Toby, because it made WAY more sense for the character (and I forgive those abs of pretty much anything). But to pull a second major cop-out would be unforgivable of the show. If we had NEVER revealed anyone on the A team, well then sure, we could have that conversation.

I want to believe that the moving of all the surveillance equipment is a telling sign that he is in deep with the A team as well, but how does it take THAT long for him to get a security alert if he's so tech-savvy. And who just leaves their manuscript out?

Again, I plead for Crazy Spencer to get a spin-off.
Flag
"Again, I plead for Crazy Spencer to get a spin-off."

Spencer and Hanna are my two favorites. I would definitely watch a show centered around Crazy Spencer!
Flag
No more Ezria !!! Yay
Flag
I wish ...

Marlene King on Ezria: “I’ve always said that Ezria is part of the DNA of this show and I stand by that statement. Whether they’re together or apart, they will always have a relationship in some way, shape, or form.”

Season 5 Ezra/Ezria - " Rest assured, Ezra will be back next year. Harding revealed that he’s officially been asked to return for Season 5 and the clues his character has gathered will prove invaluable in this new hunt.

King confirmed that Ezra will play a big role in the PLL’s ongoing search for “A" "

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/lucy-hale-aria-finds-out-interview
Flag
That made me want to throw up. Super disturbing that she could ever be with him after all this.
Flag
Dang! I was hoping we would see the last of creepy Mcreepyson after this season.
Flag
What I loved about this episode: Spencer. I unequivocally loved Troian's acting in this episode. She was definitely channeling Angelina Jolie's "Girl, Interrupted" and it was awesome!! Kudos to you, Ms. Bellisario!

What I hated about this episode: Hanna. Don't get me wrong: I really enjoyed Hanna and Emily spending some much needed BFF time together, but what happened to our Dr. Watson (Spencer is clearly Sherlock)? It's like Hanna reverted back to her former role as a Britney Spears stand-in.

What I can't wait for: Aria's further meltdown, Spencer getting some non-Radley help (where you at, #BooRadleyVanCullen?), and Hanna and Emily helping Aria and Spencer with their breakdowns.
Flag
A or not- Ezra is a creep. If he's not A though, could A really be more creepy than him? I dunno... I just hope he's A because i'm tired of being bait-and-switched by this show.
Flag
I'm also glad this Ezra thing wasn't another Toby-ish "I was trying to protect you!" thing but I really hope they go full-on creep with him and let him be a villain. I'd hate it if we were force to watch an Ezria reconciliation because this show has no balls. I would not accept it. Also, can someone tell Ian Harding that him being a (perceived) bad guy, doesn't mean he has to grit his teeth and scowl through every line of dialogue. I'm just waiting for him to stroke his fingers and cackle.
Flag
Here is the main reason that Ezra is not the big A, a THREE character password. When Aria typed the B, I thought she was going to try boardshorts or boysenberry. Anyway, after so many tries, the alarms should have been ringing. At least, Ezra should have been notified of the attempted break in, not after the fact. I agree that it was strange that he removed the monitoring equipment, but left the book with those pages in it laying out in plain sight.

We had dumb Aria this week. She all but tells Ezra that Spencer thinks he's A. She left her keys. She showed Ezra the pages that she stole, then drops them and does not go back for them. Why did she get on a ski lift that was closing in 5 minutes? Did she not think that she would be stuck in the middle? Did she think at all? Not to mention, what if Ezra gets on with her.

How could Hanna and Emily not know that that was not Spencer? Her stance and gait were all wrong. I could understand if it were Emily or Hanna in disguise and the others being confused, but Spencer is tall and thin. Mona is several inches shorter than Spencer. Even in the dark they should be able to know that it was not Spencer 20 feet away. Emily and Hanna did not have much to do this week, but they were still dumb by not recognizing that it was not Spencer.

Strung out Spencer is still the best of the group.

More+
Flag
I agree, I really like strung-out Spencer; actually. Her character's wound so incredibly tight all the time, and she's such a perfectionist with everything in her life...it's very intriguing to watch her struggle. Although I do admit, she did look pretty rough during this episode. All I wanted to do was beg her to get some sleep!
Flag
I agree about her getting on the ski lift. When she first ran for the sign I thought that was actually smart - get inside and look for a person and either say that someone is after you, or make up a reason for needing help (eg. your car broke down).
Flag
So, while that was the clear attempt at backtracking, I am a little more convinced of my initial idea, that Ezra is an Uber A and he has a little team some of whom went a little off the rails (i.e., Mona and CeCe). The whole point of this was to drag this story out a bit more and throw the Liars totally off track. I mean what we should take careful notice of is after Aria has her jilted lover thing done and A comes back out of the woodwork, if A is crueler and meaner to the three other liars (sort of like season 1) and Aria is totally left out of it except for when she is with one of the others (I also sense that Aria will have a bit of a protector in Mona).
Flag
I've thought, for a while now, that Mona was a double agent. After she rekindled her friendship with Hanna, she seemed much more the protector of all of them, not just Aria. I just hope that she doesn't string Mike along and play a similar game to what Ezra's playing with Aria.
Flag
She just seemed so uncomfortable with what I assume was the zoo assignment and then looked so...I dont know but when Aria came in their was a look that I know I had when a boyfriend cheated on a friend of mine. Somewhere between thinking that rat Bastard and stopping myself from hugging her.
Flag
Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but...

How did Ezra and Aria get off the ski lift?

How did A find out about the Ambrose Pavilion unless Ezra told them?

Why were Ezra's cabin's surveillance cams down?

Why would Ezra remove the monitoring equipment but leave the manuscript lying in plain sight if he thought Aria would come fishing around?

Ezra claims to love Aria, and he wouldn't want to hurt her or Mike. Assuming he's not A (as confirmed by Marlene King) why is he setting Mike up by asking Mona to be his fake gf?

Flag
I think Ezra told Mona to go to Ambrose Pavilion.... and thats why she kept Aria's brother waiting and arrived late to watch the movie.
Flag
i think by the end it will come out that Mona wasnt that in Ambrose Pavilion,, instead they will come up with excuse that she wasnt with A if you say that Ezra didnt want hurt Aria and her bgrother..

this episode had many studpid things , i just had to pretend like WOW. OMG
Flag
Mona's tactics were pretty A-ish. But Ezra isn't A. Yet he has the power to coerce Mona into doing things like that. Maybe he's part of the A-team, but not the mastermind? We can't take his explanation to Aria at face value...

Just who IS Ezra!!!
Flag
Here's what I learned about this show. The writers keep Spencer's mom away because she's gotten fat. Look at the quick fade from face they keep giving her.

(Notice how little I have to say about the show itself anymore? Because it's not worth commenting on.)
Flag
Spencer supposedly slept drove to school, which makes sense seeing that Rosewood High is apparently never locked and has no form of security what so ever.

Clearly Spencer's mom could care less about her:
1. She didn't even notice that she left the house in the middle of the night and wasn't there in the morning.
2. When she saw her reaching for medicine, looking like a zombie and Spencer admitted she slept all day, she didn't ask how she was feeling or seem to notice. "Come up with a better excuse why you won't be at the club next time."
3. When she realized Spencer had a pill addiction, again!, she just said, "I can't go through this with you, and your father and I can't cover for you."
4. Then she rubbed in the fact that she messed things up with Toby. "Sounds like he had a beautiful evening planned. Too bad you missed it."
Stone cold.

It must also mean it is that time of the season again where Melissa comes in to comfort Spencer and appear for the family crisis. She will tell Spencer how much she loves her, then berate her and then speak vaguely about how there are truths in the past she just can't speak of. Before she disappears off to wherever she goes for another 12 episodes or so.

More+
Flag
Veronica's actions make more sense in the season finale.
Flag
Well, Ezra can't hide behind his excuse of "I didn't know how old she was when I slept with her" anymore. It might have worked when he hooked up with Ali, but he just admitted he knew how old Aria was now when he first hooked up with her. Their whole disturbing little thing was supposed to be based on the fact that he didn't know she was in high school when he hooked up with her. Guess that doesn't work now. Good job Ezra, admitting you're a creep is the first step..
Flag
"I'm so shocked that Ezra isn't A"

- said no one.
Flag
I never thought Ezra was actually A, but I don't necessarily think this episode proved that he isn't part of the A team. I just figured that was some lie he made up cover his tracks. His levels of stalking and notes/picture boards seem a bit excessive and veiled in way too much secrecy to just be trying to write a novel. But maybe I'm just being hopeful so this season doesn't feel like a complete waste.
Flag
I may have a laugh a little too hard when Spencer was having a total spaz and said 'for all we know Aria maybe hooking up with him in some janitor closet?' I say... mmmkay *Mr. Mackey voice*
Flag
I think they should have done his storyline without the creepy surveillance and lairs, and any semblance of him being/working for/with "A". Wanting to write a crime novel about a girl you know/knew after she's apparently murdered? Okay. Wanting to do your investigative work on the DL because you two hooked up, she was underage, and you're like 10 years older than her, even if it's not really your fault because she lied about her age & she looked old enough? Okay. But knowing who her friend is when you meet said friend, hooking up with her, and not saying a word about it while carrying out creepy surveillance and maintaining a lair filled with stalker-ish information you've gathered & multiple computer whose monitors are always on? Too far.

I think the writers should have had him tell Aria his intentions, and at least that he knew Ali, in season, then let her tell the other girls and let them speculate about whether he's Ali's killer, A, Ian's killer, Beach Hottie, and/or Board Shorts through the rest of the series as it's revealed or Ezra further confesses just how well he knew Ali. He could've been like Toby & Caleb, shady & not trusted then an ally when he's proved himself, but more of an investigative partner with greater resources and motivated by his own desires to solve the mysteries surrounding Ali.

I read the leaked script for this episode weeks ago so I wasn't shocked. I've also read & re-read a list of season 4B spoilers that came out in early January before the premiere. Best spoilers I've ever read for this show in terms of accuracy & clarity, not the tidbits you usually see from actors writers, & producers that don't really tell you anything, like the "spoilers" that some second-rate character will be back for an episode or two but their presence is of little or no consequence to the ongoing storyline. The rest of the season should be something to watch, packed full of answers & setting up more reveals next season. It's no wonder this whole Ezra reveal, Aria's reaction, & the immediate aftermath is happening now, mid-season, & not at the end.
More+
Flag
Fun fact: Norristown, PA is my hometown and the zoo there (it's real name is the Elmwood Park Zoo) is a well-known smaller zoo. It has some great animals (including buffalo, panthers, and a large prairie dog exhibit), a petting zoo, a pony riding rink, a wishing well, and an education center. I was really excited to see a hometown landmark on t.v.!
Flag
Did anyone else feel even more creeped out by Ezra's ultra lame "coming clean"? For one, it doesn't make much sense when you look at it in the grand scheme of things and especially when you take into account his super creepy video surveillance. He takes obsession to a beyond crazy level and I have to say I'm disappointed in that cop out of a plot. Also, you're telling me that after such a charged exchange between him and Aria neither of them (at least that we know of - it could have been Ezra/Mona for Ezra) went back to collect the story? I know it doesn't mean much in the long run for Aria, but seriously?
Flag
To me, Ezra's "confession" was more like "Nah, baby, I was really doin' this for us. I friggin' love you!" I'm so very glad that the writers didn't have Aria believe him and that she was just as creeped out as we were.
Flag
I agree - it's the smartest thing she's done yet.
Flag
Um what a lame excuse for Ezra's behaviour, if its even true...plus that ski lift scene was awful.
And Ezra is a terrible writer.
And Mona and Mike need to break up ASAP.
Plus A is going to end up being some lame halfhearted person that doesn't make any sense like with gossip girl.
Flag
This was a really good episode. The show has redeemed itself from the bad first part of the season. But it seems every episode has it flaws.

The whole ski lift thing... There were so many problems with that scene. Why was it working at that time of year?

I still thing Ezra is A his story really doesn't explain why he had the cameras and what is up with him and Mona.

Flag
Actually, a lot of ski lifts will operate year round on a reduced basis to take people up for a scenic view. I've been on a few of them myself.
Flag
Oh. My. God.
Flag
And there it is, Ezra is gossip girl. So disappointing and boring.
Flag
Neh sorry you got that wrong: Dan Humphrey's and has always been A!!!!
Flag
Yep, it does suck
Flag
Follow this Show
Members