A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Pretty Little Liars S04E09: "Into the Deep"

Will Not Rish ever do any lawyering, or is she just a go-between for Rosewood justice?

I'm not saying she needs to get all Ben Stone on someone, mostly because I feel like courtroom drama on this show might be unbearable, but everyone keeps thanking Veronica for her help even though as far as I can tell, all she does is relay messages and brace people for the news that their case is basically un-winnable. Maybe Law & Order has led me astray and that's mostly what a lawyer does.

If that's the case, "Into the Deep" featured Rish lawyerin' all over the place, as she not only had nothing to do with her client's opportunity to get out on bail (that was Mona and her confession), but also told Ezra that his attempt to win custody of his child was basically a lost cause. To be fair, I think that Ezra probably shouldn't have custody of his child. I think you all know why. It's because he would just use the young'un as bait for high-school-age babysitters.

Not Rish's acumen as a lawyer notwithstanding, Ashley Marin got to come home after a couple episodes of testing out the theory of whether orange is, indeed, the new black. With her mom out of prison, we can hopefully look forward to Hanna returning to the fold of her other Liar friends; it's been weird lately without her brassy attitude. Though it seems like not being around the A investigation has made her lose her edge.

$100,000 bail is nothing to sneeze at, although Hanna asking her dad for it as if it was chump change was basically laughable. Hanna's desperation in this episode bottomed out as far as sympathy goes when she asked for 10 percent of a million dollars and told Pastor Ted that she didn't need faith, she needed money. Realist, sure. But after a few weeks of letting Hanna's reckless behavior slide because of how destroyed she's been with her mother being accused of murder and tossed in the clink, I'm definitely glad to see Ashley home. Hanna tested my patience.

Her isolation means the brassiness needed to fall on someone else, and since this was an episode for Emo Emily to be emo, that means Sparia had to take the mantle. One of the things I liked about "Into the Deep" was its overt demonstration of how awful these girls can be, no matter the event. Because they're our protagonists, we're so often treated to sympathy for them as they deal with their bullies but, in episodes like this, you start to see why Jenna hates them and Shana has nothing but disdain for any of them.

Emily has had to suffer greatly the last few weeks (although partly by her own hand), and while she still had to live in a motel and bemoan her lost future, a birthday party seemed like a great idea to raise her spirits. This should've been about her and making her feel better. Instead, Sparia decided it was a great opportunity to wield their witchiness on a Jenna and Shana who've been made sympathetic.

Despite some weird line delivery ("at this POINT"), "Into the Deep" tried hard to let us know that things may not be going so well for Jenna, and that the Liars add unnecessary burden to her already trying existence. She's handicapped again (bitch can't see), she's afraid for her life because of Alison and/or Cece Drake is after her, and then Sparia has the ovaries to tag team her while she's on the ropes.

Your sympathy for Jenna may be limited, given her connection to Nigel Wright a few episodes ago, the assumption being that those were her glasses on the table and her tea Nigel was fixing at the end of "Crash and Burn, Girl." Putting that aside, though, this episode made her a severely victimized character, particularly with her attempted murder, which at least suggested that the glasses on the table weren't so much I'm-blind-and-you-shouldn't-see-my-wayward-eyeballs as much as they were coquettish-Lolita specs. Maybe not the most rock-solid evidence, but something to consider.

If you're willing to accept the theory that Jenna is a victim, then Sparia using Emily's party as a trap for Jenna and Shana seems unreasonably cruel. It's representative of the infection of A into every aspect of their lives that they can't even get drunk and dance awkwardly without using it as an opportunity to catch a bully. And Spencer isn't absolved of being the one who knocked Jenna into the water. It's possible that no greater truth has ever been spoken on this show than when Shana said, "Nothing good comes from being around you four." That's absolutely true.

Which is why I don't understand Jake at all. Aria has offered every reason to run straight for the hills. She's hung up on someone else. She's standoffish and kind of a snob. And her life is basically a series of hydrogen-level drama bombs. But Jake seems to be so devoid of any personality and so indoctrinated by Rosewood's policy for twenty-something men, to claim that their women like Jacob the Wolf imprints on a baby and that dipping his wick in House Montgomery sounds like a passable idea.

On the flip side, I also say go, Aria. Because, even though Jake is all six pack and dead behind the eyes, any move away from Ezra is a decent move. The man is pretty shredded, and while I don't immediately recall Ezra taking off his sweatervest at any point to show what he's packing, he probably looks like a pale little boy compared to the town martial arts instructor. So go ahead, Aria. Take a chance. See what that's like. It's high school. Everyone experiments in high school, right? That's how that saying goes?

The Season of Answers may not be necessarily living up to its billing, but we are getting some perspective from different parts of the conspiracy. Nothing definitive, but something. And, if we're being led to believe that Jenna is just as victimized as the other Liars, that provides a new avenue for allegiance once the Liars are able to forgive Jenna for acting suspicious... even though she maybe, possibly has never done anything to them except get blinded by Alison. Oops.

NOTES

– MONA. It's hard not to like her right now. The investigator: "You snuck out of a mental institution?" Her: "Many times." I'm not sure what game she's playing, but I still maintain that she's the safest teenage girl in Rosewood by getting herself locked up. Also: Where did she get $100,000 for Ashley's bail? How much money is being pushed into her organization?

– Paige was really throwing stones from her glass house in saying Mona is capable of murder because of a little attempted murder. Maybe attempted drowning doesn't count.

– How is everyone in Rosewood so well connected to Olympic swimmers and coaches? Apparently, if you want to swim for gold and want to get noticed, you need to move to suburban Pennsylvania right now.

– Lo jacks can sniff out wine? WHY ARE THEY TRYING TO TEAR ASHLEY AND WINE APART?

– Of course the tall, busty girl Jake brought to the party is "on the swim team." Don't worry, Aria. She's not a threat.

– Emily saying out loud that her and Paige's plan to stay together is doomed might be the only sane thing to happen during this entire episode.

– I know Pastor Ted's closing remarks could lead you to believe, if you really wanted to believe, that Ted is the one to bail Ashley out of jail. But then you would have to think about how a pastor would be able to squirrel away $100,000, unless the reason for his recent absence from the show is that he's started a megachurch on the outskirts of Ravenswood. Think, Ashley.

– Your Moment of A: Red Coat snuck underneath a porch like a pregnant house cat. I think I assumed that it was the Montgomery place since it had that tell-tale knocking-boots silhouette before the lights went out but it really could've been the Di Laurentis place or really any house in Rosewood. They're all made of ticky-tacky and they all look just the same.

– Your Moment of A, Part Deux: This hoodie had some piano sheet music for Toby and the same handwriting as whoever gave Emily the $50 gift card from the hardware store. I still suspect a fifth-grader.

What'd you think of "Into the Deep"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/15/2016

Season 6 : Episode 20

60 Comments
Comments (60)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I know who is A :p
Flag
I'm really curious what is Mona up with, she seems to know pretty good what she's doing. I just can't figure: who is she working for? Team A or Liars or just for herself?
Ezra was so boring in this episode. I mean, why should we care about his little son issue? What that has to do with the show, Alison and A? And if it's just about finding out he may not be the father of the boy (again: why's that important?), they could just tell us that, not waste our time with some boring scenes.
And I really don't like Jake and Aria as a couple. I can't stand him and his stupid face. Sorry, but I'm team Ezria.
Flag
Yeah, confused as well about the mention above about Mona paying the bail... the show and P. Ted certainly want us to think Ted paid it. I agree there is a big possibility he didn't, but was there something I missed indicating that Mona had instead? Ted is becoming more and more creep-o and has a weird obsession with Ash and Hans... and remember when he kept insisting that Ashley tell him what she was scared of? I personally think he figured out what was up with Ash and Wilden and killed the pig and the pig.

The girl playing Kim was a TERRIBLE actress!! Amiright?

We saw Redcoat at the end of this ep... did anyone else notice Sasha Peiterse listed in the credits? Maybe she is a regular cast member and listed every ep, I am too lazy to find out...

Is Mona trying to get Hanna back as a bestie, or is Mona playing a whole other game?
Flag
I've also noticed Sasha's name in the beggining of the episode. Actually, her name is listed in every episode. I noticed that few times before when there was no flashbacks or Redcoat scenes, so it scares me a little bit, because I'm pretty sure they list only the ones that are having some kind of appearance in the episode. Idk, this is just something I came up with.
Flag
Hmmm, according to my Wikipedia research, she is in fact, a series regular, which would mean her name would appear every ep regardless of whether her character was in the ep or not. My opinion: she really isn't on screen often enough to call her a regular. I wonder if they do that intentionally so that we are not given hints about if it is her or not walking around in the red coat or the black hoodie/gloves combo. It would be cool if it WERE the actress filming all those scenes... and we'll find out someday that looking back we saw Allison in each episode...
Flag
pretty sure it was allys house because they showed it before she snuck in
Flag
So Ted didn't pay Ashley's bail? Where did Mona then get 100k and when did she found out? Ok,that part ain't hard to believe,but Ted was there,when Hanna moaned about bail money and he was shifty for pastor:D
Flag
It's not like Ezra would get custody in any case. Family Court is definitively biased in favor of women. Thanks, NOW. Thanks, Tender Years Doctrine. ^o^
Flag
He definitely wouldn't get custody. If he's able to establish paternity the only thing the judge MIGHT consider is forcing them to not move completely across the country. The only shot he would have to get custody wouldn't even happen for a few years and that's if Malcom would want to stay with him. I don't know if the rules are the same but where I live, the child's opinion on where he or she wants to live doesn't give any weight until the child is like 12 or 13.
Flag
So like I said, Family Court is biased in favor of the mother.
Flag
"To be fair, I think that Ezra probably shouldn't have custody of his child. I think you all know why. It's because he would just use the young'un as bait for high-school-age babysitters."

Most weeks I can just let go of your continuing obsession with alluding to or outright calling Ezra a pedophile but I just want to ask one thing. Don't you think it's time you put it to rest? I'm sure all of the regular readers of your otherwise very good reviews have gotten the point that you don't like Ezra nor do you approve of him and Aria's relationship. That much comes across loud and clear. You've made that point, In fact you've made it in almost every review that Ezra's been featured in. I get your feelings on him. What I don't get is why you insist on reminding the readers every week of your disdain for the character.

Your disdain for the character and the story-line doesn't have to manifest itself in a Ezra pedophilia "joke" every time he comes up in the review. You even find ways to equate him with a pedophile even when his plot is completely separate from Aria's (not that him having a plot with Aria would make it justifiable in any way) like this week. Heck this isn't even the first time you've gone to the well of him using his son to somehow "get" young girls. It's not funny anymore and I'm not entirely sure it ever was.
More+
Flag
How to make PLL awesome again?

Kill Emily, give her Liar spot to Paige and pair her off with the Blonde Girl from the party (she's in swim team so by PLL rule she has to play for Home Team).
Flag
Funnily enough, the first few months of a trial are exactly what Rish is doing.
Flag
This show has been spinning its wheels for a while now. They need to set an end date for it so the writers can start moving things forward.
Flag
There is an end date in mind... but the plan apparently involves taking us through high school, college, graduate school, suburbia and eventually back to Radley, which will be remade into a retirement home. It ends sort of like the Golden Girls, but with more murders.
Flag
It's be great if they set an end date. But I'd really like to see an [approximate] timeline of all the events that have happened so far just to see exactly how far they've stretched the storyline out.
Flag
come on, it might be hard to have a neat handwriting wearing those thick black gloves ;)

Flag
Yet they can play piano and sound quite lovely with them on. ;)
Flag
haha yeah when he/she started playing the piano i was like: what??? seriously?? with ur gloves on?? hahahaha
Flag
Are Red Coat and A supposed to be on the same team? Honestly, I have more questions than answers...
BUT, IT IS A GOOD THING. It means this episode was entertaining enough (Pedo Ezra scenes aside) for me to wonder about the stuff that happens in Rosewood. I'm kind of interested on this show again, second week in a row, which is good.

This episode gave me the feeling (let's not forget I've been watching without much watching for the last season and a half, so I didn't really care about anything) that the Liars are not only bullied, but they are also BULLIES. This is not a theory I have for the first time, since in the earlier seasons I was convinced -A purpose of existing is to bully them and to make everyone and us, the audience realize that this girls were bullies in their Alison days.
That's were the line gets a little blurry for me. Are they plain victims? Or is A some sort of Karma force?

What the deal with Red Coat? Alison, Cece, WHOEVER BLONDE. Is she Team A? Is she their boss or an entirely different bully? Is she the Liars guardian Angel or just another threat?

On the particular aspects of this episode, I was expecting a more emotional response from Hanna when Ashley came back to her house.
Emily wasn't so painful to watch in this episode, but she was really mean to Paige. Shitty girlfriend.
If anyone lets Ezra have custody of his kid he knows for about 2 weeks, I'll sue the show.
More+
Flag
I think during the Ali years they were more bullies by association. It wasn't that they did the bullying themselves (hell they were all bullied by her too), but they didn't do anything to stop Ali from doing the bullying, and if they thought about trying, they caved right away.

That being said, I think they've grown into a quasi-bullying type over the course of the show. They aren't always bullies. In fact, most of the time they still feel more like victims. But when they really want information, they can definitely go the bully route.
Flag
Well said, the books play out like this as well... they were not active bullies, but were by Alison's side as she bullied....
Flag
I love what you just said. Makes me question one thing that's always been sort of an issue for me. Why were Alison's frinds in the first place? She treated them horribly in every flashback....
Flag
I feel like the writers have made it seem like Ali was very strategic in picking this particular group of girls. And she did have something on every single one of the girls that she could hold over their heads at her leisure.

And it's also been pointed out that, while a very crappy person in general, Ali could also be a somewhat caring human being, at least enough that the girls still cared for her after her death.
Flag
True. But somehow I feel like they miss her and love her more while dead than when she was actually living. I always got the impression than (somewhat human Alison aside) the four of them hang out with her because of what she could make everyone do, they felt important by her side but they were also sort of being played by Alison. It's like in every flashback she's the daughter of the devil, but when they talk about her or remember her in the present day it's like they forget and she was amazingly nice.
Flag
I'm 99% sure Malcolm isn't Ezra's son.

that way Ezra and Aria can get back together.... <
Flag
Ohhh good call, perhaps this plot about "proving paternity" is all about the DNA test that will declare Malcom is someone else's....
Flag
I'm pretty sure he isn't his son either, but I couldn't care less about the creepiest and most illegal relationship on this show, tbh.
Flag
The sad part is that the only scene I actually enjoyed was of Mona.

All hail Queen Mona! :) :) :) <

Janel Parrish < forever in my heart <3333

Flag
I still think it was Pastor Ted. I've never been completely convinced that he's on the up and up so him being able to get that kind of cash doesn't surprise me.

I can definitely understand Em's disappointment this episode. I've been in a similar type situation and to get your hopes up for a second only to have them smashed under someone's shoe can be a bit on the heartbreaking side. I can only imagine it would be worse when it's something you've spent the bulk of your life working towards.

Hanna was definitely a bit more on the annoying side this episode. I've understood her despair up to this point, and I realize this is Rosewood and people there have money, but 100K isn't chump change and Hanna acting like it is just bothered me. It bothered me even more than the money issues with the Fields family has.

It is interesting to see the tables turned in a sense. We spend a lot of episodes with the girls on the defensive side of things, always one step behind. But when they want to be, they can be pretty pushy and almost to the point of turning into the bully-type they are trying to uncover and you are definitely right that this episode really put that in the spotlight.

Jenna is completely an enigma. She rotates between being this mysterious, all-knowing and confident person that you are sure has some part in all this to being this victim-type that could be just as much of a victim as the Liars themselves.

Now Mona, she is just like 50 Rubik's cubes that are assembled so you can't see the insides to know if you actually do have it all right. I loved her interaction with the detective during her confession, but then she goes right back to Radley. I have to wonder if she knew they would send her there. But I'm wanting to know why she seemed so happy to be back there....
More+
Flag
P. Ted could have stolen the money from his church... wouldn't put it past him...
Flag
I do hope we get some decent answers by the end of this season.
Flag
Marlene King said that Season 4 is all about answers and closure.

she's such a comedian. :)
Flag
Soo... I learn something new every time I watch this show...

Who knew that Aria is the best at giving away birthday presents? Who wouldn't want to recieve a framed picture for their birthday??? 0_0
Flag
Especially one that reminds you of the future you lost.
Flag
lolololol
Flag
oh my god. this show...this show...this show is just. ridiculous.

So what cray things were we blessed with this week? UM let's see, so Alex Mack told Ezra she's thinking about moving to Seattle and Ezra's next move was to hire a lawyer - cos ain't no one got time for a logical thought processes on this show! Also boring storyline.

Paige turned into a hot gf who cared enough to pursue more college options for Emily and even throw her a surprise b'day party (bad move on the lake house, as soon you she said lake house everyone knew there would be a walk in a dark forest and someone would drown in the lake.) but Emily isn't capable of being nice and pretty much broke up with her.

Aria's new honey showed up with a girl that wasn't hot but she was extremely jealous of, but I will accept "Jakria/Ariake?" for now because he has a good body and if he isn't an evil psychopath his tae kwon do skills may prove to be useful. They're just cheesy.

Shana is the worst. Also may I note that no one could focus on their one simple task for the night.
ARIA: "I will keep an eye on Shana and Jenna all night"
SHANA: "Jenna, I will not leave your side for one moment, cos I love you"

fail and FAIL.

Also is Jenna a fake lesbian now? Wasn't she boning Toby once upon a time? OH and noel kahn. ha! Good times.

Um the Ashley/Ted thing is very cute, yay for them!

Mona is still MVP cos she was lying like a pro at the start and then got Ashley bailed out and ended up back in the mental institution that she can easily escape from. Go Mona! I'm sure you have a bigger plan in mind, but I'm enjoying the journey.

What else....this show covers too much random nonsense in one episode, OH RIGHT Jenna almost died. We'd almost gone three episodes without anyone getting seriously injured - that is illegal in Rosewood. Anyway many other thoughts running through my head but I'd be here forever, can't wait for more fun, ridiculous drama next week.

Sidenote: Just tell us who the F A is.
More+
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
If anything Jenna might be bisexual. You don't have to be lesbian to date girls...
Flag
Yeah but I feel like she's faking it. I'm no sold on her bi or lesbian, or whatever her relationship is with Shana. Girl is shifty!
Flag
Completely random but yes a correct ship name needs to be issued to them I suppose. So many people are trying to use Jaria and that was reserved for Jason/Aria way back in the day. Although it's really funny watching the younger fangirls argue with each other and think they're on the same side cause they're both using Jaria....
Flag
Anyone else feeling the possibility that Malcolm's not Ezra's?
As soon as the word paternity was mentioned it just seemed like a way to get the kid out of the show...
Flag
That's been my opinion since this whole stupid plotline started. Last night just added more fuel to that fire. Although, in the grand scheme of things I could care less haha.
Flag
Tbh I don't care,if kid is his or not. He's got boring plot this season,same as the rest.
Flag
Yeah why are we still following Ezra if he's not with Aria. He's cute but outside of school his life is boring and no one cares
Flag
1) Jake & Aria, a.k.a. Jaria
You know, this is going to sound messed up, but I'm starting to like Jaria together. Sure, so far he hasn't got much character. But let's be honest, none of the men on this show do. They all love their girlfriends, respect them to a T, never show any interest in sports of any kind, are always the voice of reason and never get in fights, and excepting Caleb, they're all a bunch of goody two shoes. These are not "men". Men have flaws, just like women do. Sometimes they rather watch a football match than hang out with their girlfriends and braid their hair. So in that respect, Jake is no different from any other guy on this show. Except, in the case of Aria, he's actually a good choice. I mean, no statutory rape! And even better: no kid. She is definitely moving on up! And I definitely liked the look on Ezra's face. Aah... *smirk* Sure, at first, the Jaria-thing seemed forced. But the show realised this and made them be friends instead. And now they seem to have - quite naturally - progressed to something more. And nooooo statutory rape, I mean, come on, what more do you want?!
2) Ezra
Zzzzzzzzzzzz...
3) Emily
I kinda felt bad for her in this episode. It's been the first one in a long time where she didn't do something stupid, so it made me not hate her for once. And then Paige kinda set her up to feel miserable all over again. I know what it's like to have hopes. Then have them crushed. Try and be resolved about it, only for other people to not want you to give up, even though it's been "game-set-match" for a long time now. Please don't do that. Just when someone is trying to figure out a plan B, don't go and make them strive for plan A again. Not everyone's dreams come true. In fact, they don't come true for most people. If yours do: great. But when you're having your own little miracle and you're pushing someone else to go and get theirs, even though it's not possible, that will most definitely end in tears. Don't do that. Annoying-girlfriend-move Paige.
4) Spencer
Did we see her have a storyline this episode? How about last episode? I can't remember.
5) Hanna
I'm pretty pleased Ashley's home again. And I liked the fact that Hanna skipped on Emily's birthday party to be with her mom. It's such a real thing to do. I do wonder about the pastor though. Who does that? Pony up 100,000 dollars just because your little lady friend is in jail? It's a bit much, if you ask me. Unless it's out of guilt? That would be pretty epic in a "Clue"-kinda way: the minister did it!
6) Jenna's back! Oh wait...
Oh noes... I'm so sad about this. Favourite frenemy of the liars Jenna is no longer. Or at least, I figure she'll die. I heard something about the actress being written off the show, so I guess next episode will feature some dramatic end. If not, go show! I really like Jenna as a frenemy. Please have her live?
More+
Flag
"Run, Spencer! Swim, Emily!"

Thanks for this:D Of course 2nd part is what makes me laugh.

Another boring episode. Only interest in this episode was,where did Ted get 100k dollars..stealing from curch? And Hanna saying to her dad "it's just 10% of a million for bail"...God dad,don't you know it's only 10% !?!??!?!?!?! Suck it up and post 100k for bail....oh my god...really?? Might stick to it till the end of season,but the way it goes,think I'll stop watching it sooner.
Flag
Why are the writers keep pushing jack A.K.A "dead eyes" on aria and on us no one wants to see that not even Emily, when aria and "dead eyes" started talking she was so bored she had to walk away and thanks to the camera following her we didn't get to hear their conversation as well so thank you Emily for once you did something right . yay

And I have a suggestion no more surprise party's at anyone's lake house , with caleb's party and now Emily, this girls are just asking for it now.

Also Too bad for ezra that he doesn't have a lorelai gilmore in his life to write him a glowing recommendation letter so he'll win the case for his son but I have also zero Interest about that story line so it doesn't really matter.
Flag
+1 For Jenna. So sad they hit her so soon. Am I the only one who believes Mona is trying to contact Cece the only way she know how?
Flag
Oooo good theory...! The mental hospital definitely has it's connections... with Mr. E. Lamb... Cee Cee visiting... the secret escape window....
Flag
So moral of the story, get pregnant while working on the show and you get assaulted......... ;)
Flag
There were so many closeups of the ankle monitor that I was thinking product placement. It's working, I want one!
Somebody drowning at a swim team party? Didn't Teen Wolf do this last season? Does that mean Ali controls the Kanima? At any rate, I don't know why they're so worried about JennaBot. All they need to do is put her in a big bag of rice.
Flag
I don't know about an ankle monitor, but I did have that reaction toward her shoes!
Flag
I'm so glad that Jenna's back in the show. She's one of the best things about it, hands down.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members