A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

How many lies do you have to tell before you graduate from being a just "little liar" to a "big fat liar"? Because ABC Family announced today that it's picked up its longest-running original series Pretty Little Liars—about four teenaged girls caught in a web of lies, deceit, and, in Aria's case, really uncomfortable clothing—for two more seasons.

The renewal is unprecedented and will take PLL through Season 7, which is expected to debut in 2016. That means the show will run as long as both Buffy the Vampire Slayer and The West Wing. That means the show will run two seasons longer than Friday Night Lights and four seasons longer than Veronica Mars. And if we're being honest, it also means the show will run two seasons too long. Earlier this year we made a case to end PLL after Season 5 (which premieres tonight), with a wish-list end date of sometime in March 2015. But now we might have to wait until 2017 to find out who A is, and ain't nobody got time for that!

During a Reddit AMA on Monday, PLL showrunner Marlene King said the series would be skipping the Liars' college years (because by the time graduation rolls around the actors will be eligible for social security?), and that the characters will discover who A is in Season 5, but the audience will not. 

thekaitling:list:are-you-excited-for-more-pll/

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 3/15/2016

Season 6 : Episode 20

70 Comments
Comments (70)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
ohh wait a minute!!!!!
They still haven't revealed who A is????
I just watched 1st season, i thought they would have at least revealed the identity of A .
I was thinking about binge watching all the seasons, but not if they haven't revealed A yet, I dont wanna waste my days only to find out i have to wait two more seasons to know who A is.
Flag
i stopped after season 3 i think. Couldn't take it any longer.
Flag
After watching the season 5 premier of PLLs, I have to say; What an explosive episode! This episode was good enough to be a mid season finale rather than first one!
Flag
I would like it if they told us who A is, then go back to the start and show it from A's perspective - like how A managed to do all the things he/she has done. I don't think that they could actually do this though as half the stuff A has done is impossible!

Another way they could drag it out for another two seasons would be to just show the aftermath of A...I would be willing to watch that as don't want to say goodbye to the girls!

However, if it is neither of the above options, I think I'll be saying goodbye to the girls of my own accord!
Flag
There's been multiple A's so I don't think that will work.
Flag
They could still show how each of the A's did it and which A did what?
Flag
So I am just going to pretend this is their last season unless some crazy cliffhanger happens. If it wasn't for dvr I probably would not have stuck with it this long.
Flag
How could characters discover,who A is,but not audience? :D
Flag
Oh God I was hoping the fifth will be the last one. That we get finally an Answer to all the shenanigans about the Liars. But no we have to watch (or not) 2 more years of a Teenage Girl who pissed off every human being, pets etc etc in Rosewood. Don't get me wrong I used to love PLL but now I'm so tired to watch this show. Every secrets bring another one. 5 years and we still don't know who is really A and most important why Aria have the worst wardrobe.
Flag
6 seasons longer than Firefly. There is no God.
Flag
I'm hoping that since Marlene had said they were hoping to announce the official end date SOON, this means we actually have the end date here.

I still really enjoy the show, but there really is only so long that you can drag this all out. Hanna can only recolor or restyle her hair so many times in a school year before it all falls out. :)
Flag
It'll also run six seasons longer than The Middleman, the only decent show ABC Family has ever done.

For some of us, at any rate. ;)
Flag
For me, it was The Nine Lives of Chloe King. And, it was cancelled with so many cliffhangers!!! :( BOO ABC Family!!! At least a script was released online, so that helps.
Flag
For me it was the cancellation of The Lying Game now that cliffhanger and all the unresolved plots was just brutal.
Flag
Cancelling TNLoCK felt bad, but for me the cancellations of Kyle XY and Bunheads felt much worse.
Flag
I never watched Bunheads, but the cancellation of Kyle XY made me mad, too
Flag
Well, Middleman did get a wrap up comic.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Staff
:(
Flag
I didn't even watch part B of the last season. It's frustrating, the show needs an end in sight. Maybe if they were over A and got another person who wanted to kill them it could carry on. But I've pretty much put off watching the show until they reveal when the final season is taking place.
Also maybe the seasons were 12 episodes long.
On one hand you can't blame ABC Family or anyone for milking the show. None of the actresses have really had any other big break out roles that did so well, and its the networks most successful show.
I agree with some comments about uping the threat, maybe kill of one of the liars or make one of the liars turn for real. idk if that has/hasn't happen. But it's make watch vs the pretend threat of losing one of them.
Flag
Five seasons was enough . It was more tha enough . Seven ? That means dragged storylines , al least a hundred new guest starts that appear out of nowhere , one of the girls ( probably Lucy Hale or Ashley Benson ) will leave the show to finally became a world renown star , an inevitable decrease in the writing and at the end the mistery will stop to intrigue the audience. In other words it would be so boring that nobody will watch it That also means it will have al least 170 episodes . We are 96 episodes in , and the show barely makes any sense at all now . That's only a little more than half of the projected length of the show .That's insane. The only scenario were this show can stand is with a change of focus and making the threat real , make the audience believe the danger and its proximity . Make it more gore , turn it into a horror show , IDK but do something . Oh , and tell the audience who A is , because again , it is starting to get really boring . I am going to give this season a chance , but I expect change or I am out .
More+
Flag
Why everyone complain about these news? It's still a solid and entertaining show! As far as I am concerned these are good news!
Flag
Appalling news. This is a worse cash grab than Sharknado 2.
Flag
You compare the news of PLLs renewal with the idiotic Sharknado 2 ? That is appalling!
Flag
Yep this is my opinion. This show is a directionless mess that keeps on going because it produces cash. And according to that poll at the end of this article a lot of folks share my view. A Tv show, or movie should continue only if it's still creatively fresh. The creativity on PLL died a long time ago. I love shows that know when it's time to wrap things up.
Flag
It's one thing to dislike a show and another to be wrong. Everyone's entitled to their own likings and their own opinions. You simply don't get it! You don't compare two shows like Game of Thrones and Anger Management! Two completely different shows on genre and on artistic style and on plot and above all, shows with different QUALITY! By doing so, you simply show ignorance.
Flag
I bitch about it being renewed because I feel like it has no clear end game. I think this is the highest rated show on ABC Family so they will keep the mystery going not for the sake of making good TV or because they planned to, but because its good business. Imagine if Breaking Bad, a huge ratings hit, especially in the last season was to be renewed for a couple more seasons just to make some more $$$. So the point I am trying to make is: plan for ''x'' seasons and stick to it. After watching PLL for 4 seasons now, after all the ridiculous twists I witnessed I have the feeling the writers just make shit up and will continue to do so without a proper road map until the cash stops flowing. Anyway this for me is just a guilty pleasure and I will keep watching.
Flag
This show has me so conflicted all the time. I love it, but I hate it at the same time. Nothing happens in every episode, except in the last 30 seconds, and it's always just enough to have you come back to watch the next episode.
My flatmate asked me if she should start watching it, and I told her no. She ignored me, and now she's stuck in the same conundrum I am. So's my work colleague. We get in heated discussions about how much we hate the show and how stupid the girls are, but how we also love it and can't stop watching. Is this what it feels like to be a drug addict?!

Why can't we quit this show? Maybe because they keep fecking renewing it for more seasons than it deserves. The 2 season renewal shouldn't be too surprising to those of us who've read the books. It's clear the book series was meant to end at book 8, but, after the success of the show the series was resurrected for a further 8 books, each one more ridiculous and infuriating than the last. I guess the money goblins are rearing their ugly heads here, that's the only reason I can see for these renewals. It certainly can't be because there is so much more story to tell, and it needs to be 2 more seasons.
More+
Flag
I'm not happy. Seven seasons? People behind a show should be smart enough to know when enough is enough. That's what distinguishes an average writer from a good one. So far we have just been led further down the rabbit hole with unfulfilled promises, unsatisfying reveals and convoluted plots that don't make any sense.

I watched The Writers Room a few weeks back when the people behind PLL visited the show. And all they did was talk about how good their show is, how well they have written it and how they have managed to come up with more interesting plot lines over time. They seemed completely oblivious to the problems of the show. On TWR some fan sent in a Twitter question about why Mona said she'd never met Alison, even though she met Red Coat at Radley. What was Marlene King's answer? Hallucinations. That's right. Marlene explained it away with the classic "it was all a dream" non-answer. Mona was on medication so we cannot trust what she saw.

So it's no wonder that they think that skipping the girls' college years and somehow getting them back together as adults is a good idea. Maybe all of them will become pregnant at the same time (by A, presumably) so they will have to return home and protect their babies from a bully baby called "Mini-A". And admitting that the characters will discover who A is in season five, but the audience won't, doesn't seem to be the best marketing strategy. By the way, in 2016 Troian will turn 31. Just saying.
More+
Flag
I was so hoping season 5 would be the series finale, but 2 more seasons? Are you kidding me!? And what's this BS that the Liars will find out who A is, but we won't. So after this seasons + another 48 or so episodes all will be reveal to us?
I don't know. The 1st couple seasons of PLL I was entertained by the show, by season 4, I really considered whether or not to stop watching. Half-way through that season I started to hate-watch the show, just to see where the show ended up. Now I'm not so sure if I could go through that again this season. I have to see after a few episodes of season 5.

Flag
By the time it ends it will be Pretty Old Liars.
Flag
A.) This news is beyond ridiculous. By the middle of season 4 this story was basically incoherent & now they're going to milk their cash cow for 2 more years after this upcoming one.

B.) If you check out the Pretty Little Liars edition of The Writer's Room, Marlene King looks like a female version of Jack Nicholson's "Joker".
Flag
ABC Family can kiss my lily white ass--Bunheads. Assholes...
Flag
The only way I am fine with this news is if they do a complete reset after this season, which seems unlikely. As in they still continue to follow the characters but the whole A business and who hit Allison and all that stuff is wrapped up. They have stretched out way too many things for such a long time, I can't imagine another 3 seasons of "Who is A?" "What is Melissa hiding?" and so on. UGH
Flag
Also, this seems like a risky move to me for ABC Family. I get it is their highest rated show, but I could see viewers eventually getting fed up, especially if the quality continues to decline. I was holding out hope that this was the last season and that it would wrap everything up and end on a high note. Not sure I can handle another 3 years.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
A is obviously hiding in the same place Red John used, with his roommate, the Mother. This is just the latest example of trying to squeeze every dollar out of a show that networks can.
Flag
I don't know. Honestly, I wasn't too excited to start watching the premiere and knowing ALREADY that this is getting dragged out longer is getting me even more frustrated.
Flag
This bs : the characters will discover who A is in Season 5, but the audience will not. This Marlene King person is now on my hate list
Flag
LOL!
Flag
Season 6 and 7?! One of the only reasons I was still putting up with this show was me hoping that they were winding it down and I wanted to see how they bullshit their way out of the convoluted mess they’ve made of the story. Now they’re gonna drag this out for two more seasons including Season 5?! I don’t think I can take any more of the nonsensical empty reveals, leaps of logic and just the general air the the writers don’t have any kind of coherent plan at all. To stretch out a show that 4 seasons in not only doesn’t make a lick of sense but isn’t particularly interested in making sense or having coherent plotlines and giving it 40+ more episodes? I think it would have been better to wrap it up than keep going on as it is.
Flag
I love the show but I think seven seasons is waaaaayyy to much.
Flag
I watched the first four seasons of this show, but had to give up this last season because I felt that the writing and acting had both gotten way too over the top and therefore unbelievable. It definitely does not deserve to have been renewed for TWO more seasons. At the very most, a 13-ep final season order would have been called for. Mostly I'm just disappointed that Troian Bellisario, who is much better than this show, is chained to it for another two years.
Flag
awesome news Pretty Little Liars is an awesome show that keeps getting better and better!!
Flag
Said no one...BURN
Flag
what do you mean?? your comment makes no sense at all!!!
Flag
Look I'm a fan, but jeez, isn't that a little much. A may or may not need a walker by the time this show is done.
Flag
It's a bittersweet news, I mean I like this show and think it's fun and entertaining but last season was when the show lost kind of it charm for me and meaning that we have 3 more season to go... I don't know this show it's not the kind that need to last that long... but well I'm gonna still watching the show because of my innability to drop a show I have watch for so long
Flag
Aria's hair in that pic?? Oh my..

I would be excited to hear about one extra season, but it is starting to drag on. This has always been a show that would have a limited life span because people will get bored of the constant 'who is it' and red herrings. We are only 4 seasons in, and the majority of the characters have already been accused of being A. Who else is left??
Flag
You left out SIX more seasons than Bunheads.
Flag
Staff
That's because I'm still trying to get over its cancellation.
Flag
It's nice to know that not all viewers are idiots., as the comments here indicate that they're not...
Flag
It's ridiculous. How long can they possibly drag the -A story on..
Flag
It's not like I watch anymore (or was ever a hardcore fan, probably watched about 10 episodes the first season), but isn't the fact that the audience not finding out who A is being kind of a cop out? Isn't that the whole point of the show??
Flag
Follow this Show
Members