A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Pretty Little Liars S04E12: "Now You See Me, Now You Don't"

When I think of all the problems with Lost, the most troubling to me was always the magic.

Note: I'll try not to be spoilery but if you haven't watched Lost and you're particularly sensitive, maybe skip the next paragraph.

Throughout the entire series there was this thread, this belief that everything that happened on the island would be explained through some kind of science or coincidence. Disease warded off by electromagnetism, the numbers being randomly allotted to a hatch (and then manipulatively placed in the lottery to attract a certain person), the hand of a multinational conglomerate pulling the strings on people like they were puppets. That everything was grounded in a believable, tangible, if slightly eccentric universe.

Pretty Little Liars has the same thread of plausible deniability. A is everywhere, sees everything, has a handle on all sorts of information, and seems to have all these tightly wrapped presents for the Liars and, at the end, you want to believe that everything is science, that there's a reason for it all. Despite all the loopy goofiness, you want to believe there's some sort of grounded reality that allows A to be omniscient and still have the time to be crafty.

The Liars took a step in that direction by the end of the episode by finding A's Ravenswood lair with everything mapped out from the beginning of the episode and a computer surveillance system that's like a mini NORAD. It's a lot cleaner than I expected as I thought A would live more like Mona's version in the hotel room: walls stacked with crazy photos and doll parts. But it was less John Doe from Seven and more fitting to the human that the show is accusing of being A.

You may expect some "told ya so" grandstanding and, believe me, I considered just posting a series of GIFs with Grace from Will & Grace and Dr. Reed from Scrubs doing their "told ya so" dances. Ezra is a creep, has always been a creep, and being associated with A has not only been my theory but a popular one since at least Season 3. The Halloween special where Ezra just showed up on the train even though no one was being let on was the biggest clue. Huh. Maybe that's why Aria never seems to feel the brunt of A's wrath.

And even though I stood up and yelled "VINDICATION" when I saw Ezra slamming that armoire door in his shrine of his pedo-ness (I guess that could just be pedophilia), there's still an itch in the back of my mind that tells me that's not how this show works. You can't be presented with obvious evidence and believe that to be the whole or even a partial truth. Ashley didn't kill Wilden despite all the evidence that pointed to her. Melissa isn't A despite every fiber of your being telling you she's a baddy. And, yes, Cece did turn out to be Red Coat (or Red COAT as Emily likes to say) but there's also more than one and one of them could be, may be, Alison.

And then comes the magic. I get that Ravenswood is going to be a series that has a little bit of the supernatural in there and it appears that Carla Grunwald is going to play a major role in it, but her "intuition" being the thing that saved Alison from being buried alive smells like a deus ex machina to me. It's not cork-in-the-earth bad but it's weird that they would let that happen, that they would weave this supernatural element into Pretty Little Liars itself after the show went out of its way to demonstrate how A is able to surveil everything and afford it. Until Grunwald is shown to be paid off to create a tall tale around how Alison escaped her dirt nap to hide the real story, we have to believe that a psychic knew trouble was afoot, knew where to look, and was able to help just in time. Rubs you the wrong way, doesn't it?

But all of that is secondary to the answers we've been waiting for, which are delivered in our modern-day conception of how these kinds of shows–ones that give the audience limited omniscience and (mostly) tell the story by only what the protagonists themselves can see and hear–work. It's like the show gets off on being withholding.

How that goes is that you are given the answers you already suspect but don't outright know while new questions are developed. You get that CeCe is a Red Coat, something they've been hollering about all season, but then why would Alison be the other Red Coat? Ezra is exponentially more pedo and creepy (allegedly) than we ever gave him credit for while he was part of Ezria but did he ever wear board shorts (I tend to think he was born in wearing a douchy vest)? A is definitely more than a few disgruntled teens and has funding as a corporation but how far down does the rabbit hole go? How many people are on the payroll?

Granted, the Season of Answers is far from over as we still have the Halloween special and Season 4.5 next year but you have to admit the show has made a few strides in showing the audience some things they have been suspecting in order to win them back. The carrot has been dangling for so long, long enough that I've heard a lot of sentiment about people giving up on the show because the twists and turns aren't providing enough information. If it's true, Ezra as a major part (possibly a benefactor, maybe more) of the A syndicate is probably the biggest get of the series after confirmation of Ali's being alive.

Are you not entertained?

NOTES

— Magic 8 Balls? Specially-made children's coffin? Saw magic trick? I mean, none of those things are especially easy to make. That workshop Emily stumbled on a while back has been working overtime for these little tricks. Maybe making some money on the side selling to other wannabe omniscient cyber-bullies?

— The literature reference for the episode was one of the more heavy-handed ones as Fitz discussed The Tempest and the concept of love-at-first-sight, the only defense Ezra had to still be pursuing Aria. It's not that he's a creep. He's subject to the universe, fates brought she and him together, their souls are uncontrollably connected to each other in spite of their age difference and positions in life (as teacher and student). That's it! "Oh, also, Aria, I've been spying on you and your friends during all your private moments and keeping a tally of everything you've done. Now let's talk about poetry and crap."

— Jake looks as bored with this old movie as we are with Jake. Seriously, if he doesn't end up being part of something like an undercover sting attempting to take A down for racketeering, what was the point?

— Caleb is the only honestly good person left in Rosewood. It's a good thing he's ducking out. Peace, Rosewood. I'm hopping on this metaphor for show transition!

— I'm not sure if the "game" A was playing was half-assed or if it was just thwarted by the Other Red Coat. But it seemed like the first shots of #WorldWarA led nowhere. Emily was kidnapped and put in a box (JUST PUSH THE STOP BUTTON ON THE SAW, YOU NINNIES) but, for the most part, there were a bunch of empty threats. Mona was holed up at a B&B for crying out loud. Granted, that might have been all a season finale had to be in the past but not with these raised stakes. The girls are barely even terrorized by that. You have to come strong or GTFO, A. This is supposed to be a world war.

– So this Jackie isn't the same Jackie that used to be engaged to Ezra?

— If I ever have to see Toby with a sad box of memories again, it'll be too soon. I care more about Toby's doo rag than this mother storyline. Maybe you should bring that back, Tobes. Go hard.

— A upgraded the message from "Kisses" to "Kisses Bitches"–which I assume is like yelling "Checkmate!" in mean-girl speak.

— Significant Other montage has all of the Liars being protected by their SO, curled up into their chests except for Aria with Ezra because, you know, he's straight up the Devil. But Aria did kiss him for a short-lived electric charge for the Ezria 'shippers. You poor bastards.

— The mime magician in Ravenswood goes by the name of Charlemagne, an interesting choice given Charlemagne is more famous for his conquering and ruling the Holy Roman Empire than for his modified Aztec Tomb trick. I'd also like to point out that Charlemagne, in the original French deck of cards (the one that your Bicycle deck is based on), is represented by the King of Hearts (remember the Queen of Hearts costume?) and is also known by the moniker, based on the position of his sword, as the "Suicide King." Where was Ezra when the girls were taking in the magic show?

— I love that the colors immediately saturate once we're in Ravenswood. Also: Ravenswood is the creepiest. "Hey, all of the town. What should we do to celebrate things?" "Maybe a party where it looks like we're all participating in some Jack the Ripper cosplay?" "Done!"

— "I don't do boxes." That's fair, Aria. Love your karate kick, too, bee tee dubs.

— How does no one check to see if CeCe is dead before sobbing and trying to call the police? There's a reason why you keep being tortured by A. Collectively, you're the biggest marks in Pennsylvania. Spencer can't think for all of you. Also: I love that Aria makes the decision that they have to crash the party once she sees the opportunity to buy some slutty turn-of-the-century clothes in a window.

— Your Moment of A: To continue this #WorldWarA theme, we're starting with some WWI costumes. Mustard gas not included. Probably.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 6/21/2016

Season 7 : Episode 1

Next Episode

AIRS ON 6/28/2016

Season 7 : Episode 2

230 Comments
Comments (230)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
anyone else think the mime-magician looked kind of like Alison? Hard to tell under the makeup but also when he/she/it stood next to Aria they were similar height, and we all know Aria's a short-ass so maybe it was a girl?
Flag
I was wondering... if Ezra is indeed EzrA, why would Cece spy on him and Aria in his apartment?
Flag
I stopped hoping for answers so long ago... the reveals and confirms were nice, even if most of them were public knowledge..
Flag
Also, the fact that CeCe was/is Red Coat. I bet on that all throughout the season, but was expecting a real answer along with the official reveal. No, actually, I've been waiting on a reasonable explanation ever since the Season 3 finale; but we all know that didn't happen. Come on, show, give me details! Details, I say!!

Flag
I was hoping for better, more definitive answers from this episode...especially considering it's the last episode for awhile (at least till Oct 22; the special 2 hr Halloween presentation. Which I must admit, I'm excited about)...but I was left underwhelmed. I was expecting Aria to be the "Liar who disappeared" not Emily. (This might also be because I find Aria more interesting than Emily.) And "Ezra as A"...there's more to the story I'm sure, but I don't know if I want to stick around to find out. At this point, I just watch to find out what happens - the show is pretty much bonkers now.
Flag
where's the doll house and the five dolls looking like liars and Mona we have seen before?in another lair?and if there is another lair which one is A's?Are we sure that A and the guy that's looking for Ali is the same person?Cause if he is using the liars to find Ali why bother ruining their lives?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Holy crap, never been a big fan of Toby, couldn't figure out why, but now I see that its because he's an emotionally abusive ARSEHOLE! Jesus, I remember thinking it was dodgy the way Spencer just took him back after the whole "fake death and finding out he was part of A" thing, just because she immediately took his word for it when he said "I was doing it for you" despite the fact that made NO sense! I was also annoyed when the other three girls didn't try and warn Spencer to be more careful around him after this, considering that when they thought Paige was dodgy (a conclusion they came to with far less evidence), they spent a lot of time and effort trying to ensure Emily was safe from her. But eventually I got over it, but now I''m mad all over again!
...Ugh, fuckin' Toby.
Flag
^Ikr his character makes me so mad. But a lot more people are starting to think he's abusive so maybe Marlene will boot Spoby (hopefully).
Flag
It'd be good if they made it an actual story-line, and then maybe they could make Toby part of A after all since it actually makes sense that he would be
Flag
^ yeah, I can't believe Marlene chickened out of a super interesting storyline just to please the shippers...AGAIN.
Flag
Wasn't blown away, but glad Ezra's part of A!
Also, the scene with Emily and Paige in her bedroom made me think, has Emily had sex yet? she's had 3 long-term relationships, but all the other girls had a hideous cheesy montage of their first times, but whether or not Emily has is never really referenced. Like when Paige was planning what their university dorm would look like and she had separate beds in there...? Just wondering.
Flag
I made sure to check and the actress that played Jackie in this episode was not Paloma Guzman who played Ezra's Jackie but an actress named Chantal Thuy. It seems rather odd they'd give a character the same name and then cast an actress who looks strikingly similar. I was thrown for a loop during that whole scene. Also, if she was really concerned about Mona skipping out on her own party, why would she jerk them around with that French bull?
Flag
&Also;, if she was really concerned about Mona skipping out on her own party, why
&would; she jerk them around with that French bull?

You've never been around language club geeks, have you? That's like asking a Star Wars geek why they're swinging the loaf of Italian bread around and making lightsaber sounds. It's part of who they are.
Flag
I'm actually pretty sure they will duck out of the whole Ezra-is-part-of-A thing. My money is on this spin: He followed the girls because for a while he has been suspecting that they were being taunted by someone like Mona's A. When he walked into the lair he saw the extent to which he was right and it made him angry that someone was hurting his precious Aria and that she and the other liars hadn't told him, even though he'd asked on more than one occasion.
Offending Ezria shippers by making Ezra A is way too bold a move and would probably cost the show a lot of viewers soon enough.
Flag
Also, Ezra's life has been a fairly open book. He teaches, advises, had a kid for a while. Aria used to visit him a lot. He's often a chaperone. I also wonder where he'd get that kind of money, since he supposedly cut himself off from his family's fortune.
Flag
He did have that stack of money one time, which he claimed was from selling a family car....
Flag
Yeah, this was my thought too. I'd be all for Ezra being a creep but I really think he was just angry because A was back. He was asking about it from Emily earlier and you all know how good of a liar she is. So I'd bet my money on Ezra not actually being on the A team.
Flag
Oh god, I hope they don't pussy out of the whole thing, I felt so cheated with the whole "I was doing it to protect you!" crap they did with Toby, when it made sense that he'd be in on it. Also it didn't make sense that he was doing it to protect Spencer because why would Team A let him join, their supposed to be all intelligent, but then let anyone join randomly, even if they have a close personal relationship with one of the liars (or even one of the liars themselves, sorry but that "Spencer is A" storyline was even worse!)
Flag
I know they can't be trusted but the writers said that Ezra is definitely involved in the A scheme somehow. My money is on an evil twin and/or Jekyll and Hyde split personality. He does love his literary metaphors.
Flag
ive been watching some clips on youtube and im becoming convinced that Aria has been A the whole time and has a mental illness that means she necessarily doesnt know she is A and that Spencer killed Alison.
Seriously watch some stuff on youtube and you will also be convinced!!
Flag
For a while I thought it would be really lame to have one of the girls be part of the A team "as a shocking twist" but I agree, there's tons of stuff pointing at Aria. They constantly even hint the connection with the names: A for Aria. Just now she also got the 8ball that just said "A". Yeah, there it is. So I've actually changed my mind, it COULD be awesome, depending on the reveal.

Most likely it wont happen though, I'd think so even without any interviews with the makers.
Flag
ha-ha yes, those theories have been around since the show started. Although the writers don't have the balls to make it happen, they've also said that none of the four main girls will ever be A. I'd like to add that Marlene King also confirmed that Aria will get targeted by A big time in the second half of Season 4.

I think they keep putting clues to Aria as A (there are at least a million) just to mess with the fans/viewers.
Flag
Yeah I thought Aria was A for the first couple of seasons. Not convinced now though (and not just because of the Ezra thing). There are too many discrepancies throughout that would make it weird/unlikely that Aria would be A.
Flag
Stop messing with us, writers!!!!! Just give us some damn answers!!!!
Flag
Aria and Cece's fight was painfull to watch
Flag
It was a bit but at the same time I was just glad Aria actually did something finally, I was expecting her to spaz out and let Cece get away while pointlessly shouting "Stop!"
Flag
They probably should have given Aria some more practical footwear, she really laboured with that kick.
Flag
This was an especially funny review! And I agree, I'm totally against them randomly introducing a bit of magic into a show that's always been set in the "real" world! I didn't want Ezra to be part of the whole A thing. Not because I like him or anything, but just because it makes me feel even worse for Aria than when I thought she was "just" being statutorily raped by an otherwise normal guy. Now it's by a guy who has definitely been stalking her and her teenage friends, and may have impregnated and killed/buried alive to be found by a pyschic another of her teenage friends!
Flag
When girls read those magic 8 balls...when Hanna reads it,sure seems triangle is pointing to Aria,same as Spencer's,while Emily's points to her(I think),but Aria's points to her and she has only A in triangle,which is also red
God,I can't believe I almost gave up on this show,because I thought they were just gonna pile more questions than answers,but this episode has me drawn in even more than ever before:D And I actually might start watching again,which I thought I will never do:D
Flag
i've read comments by marlene and troian bout why are people more shocked by the possibility of ezra being A than the fact that Ali might be alive... well that's cuz at some point many people started suspecting that Ali is still alive, so that's why...

and bout ppl saying that it makes no sense that ezra is A, well truth is we don't really know much bout ezra's live, especially his past... like when he had tons of cash in his apt, they never really explained where it came from (well ezra did, but he believed in his story?) and we don't know why he moved to rosewood in the first place so maybe it doesn't make sense now but it can all be explained
Flag

Found this on youtube. I find it quite intriguing!
Flag
It is...shame it isn't in clips(them actually saying lines vs typed line),but still great to watch. Just shows how many possible hints I missed:D
Flag
Yeah and I can understand the "Aria could be A" idea too, but why? What reason would she have had to hate Alison so much she tried to kill her? And to harass the other girls, whom she is friends with? Nothing they've done is that bad they deserve it. How did she get the funds or time? How could she have paid off people to do the spying for her? Why would she even enter that kind of relationship that she had with Ezra if she was A? And he works for A, so how could she then not know about him? Her feelings seemed real. His too. If she was A, then they would have A LOT of convincing backstory and explaining to do to! Her being a little loco isn't going to cut it! Same with Ezra, it's not believable.

I've been expecting them to reveal Ezra as part of it for some time now, that it's actually disappointing that they went there. He is just such an easy "target". That's why I don't buy it. His involvement must be for a reason.
Flag
It rubs me the right way! I don't care if there is "magic". It would just make it even more fun IMO.

I am not one of those who believe Ezra is the A... Are we so sure it was his lair? How? Because he slammed the closet door as if upset someone/the girls had discovered it? I think maybe he is after something, maybe he has a secret or is doing something with/for A, but he is not the person behind it all, definitely not. I predict it will be something similar to Mona or Toby. They want us to think it, but it isn't the whole story.

Why is Ezra a creep exactly? Before people started thinking he has beeing surveilling the girls that is? He and Aria didn't meet at school, so they didn't know he was going to be her teacher. She slept with an older guy "who wasn't her teacher", so why was that any more OK than after she learned of his profession? if anything was creepy it was how quickly they had sex after just meeting that once... He is not that much older than her anyway and they really liked each other, so I don't see it as all that wrong.
Are we even sure it was him who was watching the girls all along? There was a picture of him and Aria kissing in there too! So someone else has been spying (too), juast as they said Wren couldn't be A because he is in a picture, neither can Ezra. Come on, this guy works, spent time with his fake son and Maggie, and he lived in that apartment and spent time with Aria + he hangs out. How could he have had the time to do all that? And why would he be with and care about both Maggie and Aria if he had such a sick fixation with Alison? I don't believe it. I don't believe he was the older guy she dated either. It can't be Ezra! He belongs with Aria, lol.
How would Ezra even have the funds? Teaching does not pay that well + we were told he received no money from his rich mother. Perhaps it could be his brother instead? And maybe Ezra knows something or found out something and that's why he's there all pissed.

Besides, I don't even think Ezra was the same guy as the one we saw following the girls on the street before they went into the costume shop. The camera zoomed into the back of his black coat, went dark and then when it came back it was Ezra in the apartment. Then black again and we see a guy putting on the gas mask costume. How convenient! Again, might not even be Ezra. Even if it is, there will probably be an exaplanation for it.

So Alison and Cece are the two red coats, but how could they move out and about if they were so scared Alison would be found? And why wear red if you are trying to disappear? If it was Alison watching from the lair peephole then why the hell was she in same apartment as the person who's trying to find her/kill her? If it was Cece, then why is she in on it (being on the payroll) when she was Alison's friend?

Where was Ezra when the girls were at the magic show? Well, he was conveniently absent so people could find it more believable that he was A. :P

Hanna stole something from the lair and didn't tell the others. I wonder what.

How did Mona end up with Shana (and Jenna) and why? What was she so scared of all of a sudden?

Jake is LAME! It was so obvious from the start that he didn't fit with Aria, so it was silly for her to even start liking him.

I want Paige to disappear! She and Emily are the most boring people on the show. I like Toby though, so his sappiness is not bothering me.

Caleb is decent, but not the only decent one. What about Ella? :P

I love this show! :D I just hope it won't leave me as unsatisfied as Lost did.

I like how this episode built nicely up to a costumed halloween special! :D
More+
Flag
Am I the only one, who thinks it's weird that Ezra is Red Coat? (Which will probably not ending up being true anyway). he just doesn't have that creepy feeling some people are talking about; I can't see it. Sure the age difference is weird; but he never approved of the relationship initially either. Truth is they don't have any other storyline and Ezra has never had the suspicion put on him being A so suddenly: poof! However further down in the comments section where there were suspicious circumstances that Ezra been a part of; which actually put some doubt in my mind.

Most of all, I just don't think Ian Harding's face can have that kind of (for lack of a better word) villainy-ness. Don't get me wrong his acting is great but he is not set up for that kind of role in the first place so it's hard to believe he's Red Coat or A or whoever the Secret Keeper/Torturer is calling itself. However it was a good twist changing the villainess to a potential villain.

PS: Does no one actually think that Ezra showing up on the tracks was romantic? Sure a creepy element but seriously no heartfelt moment there? Just be sure. All I'm saying.
More+
Flag
They need to put out more answers.
And seriously that's how far it gets over a high school prank? It started out as one and now they are in for the kill.. little overboard I guess.

As for who A is I think A is a stalker, I don't want to say it's Ezra. Might be too obvious for this show. A stalked Alison for some reason and tried to kill her. She was saved and now works with her frenemies to track down her stalker/killer and the stalker thinks that he will get to alison if he gets to her four best friends. So he stalks them but Ali and her friends always find a way to save them and in order to protect them they don't want to be seen, known and fight them.
Ezra fell in love with Aria and he knows about this A crap so he stalked the stalker.
But what did Alison actually do to be stalked like this??

It's gotten way out of hand here...

Flag
I love this show and I hate this show.

I love the liars, some characters, the witty one-liners and the overall premise but I really struggle with why A (Ezra, Mona, Cece, Melissa, Shawna, Jenna, Wren, who ever the A-team are.....) would go to these lengths to bully/stalk/torment four young high school girls? Are these are incredible lengths to go to or is it just me? Why do they care so much about destroying their lives? I know that we are going to get a back story in 4B about Ezra but sometimes I just feel so completely lost that I just can't take anything in.

And that's why I hate this show because I feel as though I'm in a constant state of confusion! I get that it must be incredibly difficult to write a story such as this over a few seasons and to know who A is or will be or whatnot without some convolution. However, I am also considering going back and watching it all again to see if I am less confused or notice things I didn't before.

Personally, I would love one of the Liars to be the main A but I think that would take some pretty dam good acting/lying/stealth ninja bullying which I don't think any of them can pull off psychologically. It would be awesome though....my guess is Aria or Spencer if that's the case.

Even though I hate it sometimes, I keep watching...for the suspense, for the mystery, for the biggest reveal which I assume will happen in the series finale...whenever that may be!

More+
Flag
Okay new facts
- Somebody was stalking Allison
- Alison is still alive
- CC is a high level member of the A team
- Apparently the stalker is A
- WTF TWO A´s......
Im confused and pretty close to getting a stroke trying to wrap my brain around this episode.

Im pretty sure Aria is up to no good ! She was supposed to go find Jenna when she drowned. And she was the only unaccounted for...
She have also been the decision maker of the foursome lately .. Like she wanted them to find the layer.
She is the only one A has attempted to kill. The rest of the girls have just been seriously mind fucked.
And things were quiet and lovely while she was in iceland.

I am guessing that she is the one who tried to kill Alison. Dont know why ! Anger or maybe she has been helping Alison escape all along.
Maybe the stalker is A and he thinks that they know where she is or are trying to flush her out of hiding.
I better stop now before i get that stroke.....

More+
Flag
We all suspect Aria to some degree,right? But am I the only one,who after this episode started thinking of that theme/intro? Like Aria is A and it shows us right there plus if you listen to lyrics along with Aria's shhh at the end,one would think she is A. Pay attention towards end of that intro. When it shows all 4 liars,look how Aria is looking around her and it cuts to her shhh. Also listen to lyrics...

Also am I the only one tempted to watch previous seasons or at least some episodes,to see how Ezra is acting? And Aria for that matter.
Flag
I'm actually thinking Ezra isn't A. I think maybe he paid off A to leave the girls alone and walked into the lair to find A activity and it pissed him off. Not going any further with that discussion until I see the next part in October.

I'm a little confused about why no one is discussing why the girls get Mona in a coffin and Mona is comfy and cozy at the B&B. She back on the A team? I was thinking maybe she, Shawna and Melissa were all hiding Melissa and Wren getting married or something innocuous like that.

All I can say is that I'm really ready for this to be over now. It's maddening because I am sucked into it hoping for a plausible explanation while at the same time, I hate it.

Oh and this Ravenswood thing....it sucks.
Flag
Where did my 2-3 pages comment go to?? :(
:(
Flag
Okay, fine. I didn't cancel my series recording. Thanks to Ezra being involved in the A plot. I'll check out the Halloween special and take it from there...
Flag
Halloween specials are always great to watch and this year it's 2h,so you know it will be something good.
Flag
It's 2 hours!? No way!! :D
Flag
I think the Tempest reference was Ezra's way of saying that he had no choice but to fall for Aria even though he's A or part of A (producers said it wasn't fake, there is something going with him & he has to do with A.

I also don't agree with you about Jake, I like Jake, a calm good influence of a boyfriend for Aria, not all the PLL boyfriends have to be tortured or targets for A. My thought about the magic 8 balls & saw trick was guys find out where they were made & who bought them, it's not an everyday sale.

And again no mention of what Hanna stole from the "lair" where is your attention people, what was the diary type thing she took?
Flag
Staff
I didn't mention the diary in the review because there's nothing we can really say about it other than, "Hanna took a diary. We'll know more about that in the latter half of the season." Although I did think about doing some of ezrA's "Dear Diary" posts.
Flag
First reviewer who has ever answered me on this site, thanks. Actually the people was for everyone cuz since yesterday I was reading the comments & they were dealing with all these details & no one mentioned that Hanna stole the diary. I am still curious though. Except for mcepin3 below who agrees with me its a diary, thanks
Flag
Diary yes. White diary or at least white book with hear lock on it.
Flag
You and I only ones who wondering about it.
Flag
heart*
Flag
In the beginning of the episode Aria got the Magic 8 Ball with the letter A on it.....could that mean something?
Flag
i knew something was wrong how can a teacher dating a student ever be alright? in anyway creepy from the beginning come on guys wake up on ezra
Flag
I liked the episode, and I appreciate the big twist at the end with Ezra, even though it's hard to believe that a 'serious' high school teacher with problems of his own, finding out he has a son and what not, is behind everything. This episode packed some good action scenes, great comebacks and a big twist at the end. What I didn't like with this episode and the direction the show is taking, is the fact that in their attempt to push a spinoff of PLLs, ABCfamily is willing to follow the rules of the supernatural in a non supernatural series. This is kind of annoying as they defy all rules of good television.
Flag
I wouldn't say the inclusion of someone who believes they're a psychic is supernatural. Shows of all genres have used the psychic angle at some point or another. All that really matters from that is that Ali trusted her enough to seek out her help. Now once she starts trying to communicate with spirits, sure, it can definitely be termed supernatural. But just having feelings doesn't put it in that category in my opinion.
Flag
Anyone else thinks this...that Aria's vacation in Iceland or where-ever she was for a year,wasn't really vacation? Did she search for Ali maybe?
But I forgot,when was this vacation taken with her family. After Ali died? Or before? If before,there goes my theory... :D
Flag
It was after Alison went missing (they didn't find out she died until Maya moved into her house and a body was found under the gazebo), and it was her parents' (particular;y her father trying to get away from his mistress after Aria found out about the affair) decision to move.
Flag
And maybe not even a year...memory fuzzy on her "getaway"
Flag
Have any of you read the interviews with Marlene King, Oliver Golding, and Ian Harding?

Their answers are carefully worded. But it doesn't sound like Ezra's motives are the same as what happened with Toby.

Ian's thoughts are a little disappointing. But he doesn't know much before we do. He definitely hasn't been playing the role of Uber A since the beginning.

Ian Harding discusses the big reveal

Marlene King discusses Ezra and the difference between 'Original A' and 'Uber A'

Oliver Goldstick's interview

Flag
I find this part said in Marlene King's interview a bit confusing:

"So can we expect some Ezra flashbacks?

Yea! Well Hanna took something from that lair when they walked in there, and that something is revealed in the 4B premiere, and that becomes a great vehicle for the girls to find out more answers about Uber “A” and Alison."

So does she pretty much confirms that Ezra's A? Or that Ezra's more or less connected to new A. the question is asking if we'll see any Ezra flashbacks, and she says that the diary Hanna found will give us answers about A and Alison.

"You mentioned 4B exploring all of this. Is that where we’ll get to find out Ezra’s motivation?

Yes. I’ve seen some fans commenting that it just doesn’t make sense, what would be his motivation for this and we agree completely. The fans deserve to know that answer, and we will give it to them in 4B."
^
ha-ha even she thinks that Ezra's motivation for being a creepy ass stalker pedo guy makes no sense.
Flag
At least now Spencer and Aria have more in common. They both lost their virginities to those who betrayed them. Now they can bond over their (supposedly) physco boyfriends. #TEAMSPARIA FOR THE WIN! :D
Flag
Well, Hanna also lost her virginity to a guy who betrayed her, just not on an A level. Remember Caleb was living in her basement, slept with her, and all the time he was spying on her for Jenna.
Flag
Oh well that's also true. But Aria's and Spencer's boyfriend/past boyfriend was/is 'A' (although it hasn't been confirmed Ezra is, he definitely has something to do with it) so they'll get what each was/is going through.
Flag
yeap I love team Sparia!

they really need to give us more scenes of those 2 together #TeamSparia
Flag
That might sound a bit vulgar, but Sparia could become a thing in the show. I wouldn't mind more girl to girl action.
Flag
I had to take a day to think how I feel about this, and well, I'm still left dissapointed. the show has officially jumped the shark.

Ezra being A is a complete and total nonsense. I'm sure the writers will backtrack and say that he is not A which only pisses me off further. If you make a damn decision, just stick with it. I only see this going one of three ways.

1. Ezra is indeed A - the stupidest thing in television history EVER, because it lacks any sort of reason.

2. Ezra is helping A, to protect Aria (since she never gets targeted by A) - this actually makes sense, but the writers will never take this route because of many reasons. they always said that Ezra and Aria are soulmates (bwahhahha what?) and that they will be endgame + they already pulled the same stunt with Toby being on the A team in order to protect Spencer. So this will be just another Toby 2.0 and it will piss off people even further; it's just as stupid and pointless as the first time they did it.

3. Ezra is NOT A, but he has been stalking the girls as well. - the writers will most likely pick this < and come up with another stupid reason as to why Ezra is obsessed with them (Ali too) or something. which will explain the pictures and everything.

none of those things makes me happy or the least bit interested in watching the show. If it is revealed that Ali is dead in the Halloween special, I'm officialy done with this show.

/rant over

ps. who gives Hannah the right to constantly speak to Spencer in such a horrible way? like when Spencer started rambling about magic and Hannah snapped and said "can you just stop talking, please?", I swear, I nearly flipped a table. lol

this is beyond ridiculous, at this point Hannah is no longer her friend, she's a bully.
More+
Flag
Spencer, Hanna, and Aria have always been my favorites (I can take or leave Emily...she's just like, there. Never doing anything incredibly interesting, in my opinion) and I normally love Hanna's wit and quick side comments; but I find she's been less snarky recently, and just plain mean/rude, I agree with you. Maybe it has to do with her mom's dramatic return from jail, maybe she's on edge, I don't know. But I want the witty, sarcastic Hanna back...I want the person who can spar with the other girls on a dime, not the rude, withdrawn and sullen version of her.
Flag
I dn't even want sarcastic Hannah back. I want her back to the way she used to be in Seasons 1/2 where she was worried that she's becoming a bully and that she's just as bad as Ali used to be. She used to be warm, kind and compassionate towards her friends and Lucas.

It's sad really, she used to be one of my favorite characters on the show, but she's been ruined forever. I can't even count how many times she's snapped at Spencer and raised her voice at the girls.

I've even said before being on edge because her mother was in jail or whatever isn't an excuse for acting a jerk, if anything she should have realized her mistake/s and should apologize to her friends for being a selfish, self-involved, narcissistic little brat. Even the smallest act of humility would make me forgive her, and she should stop acting out.
Flag
or maybe the writer's will throw in the twin story-line making Ezra have an evil twin. and I completely agree about what you said about Hanna.
Flag
IF THEY RUIN CALEB AND HANNA FOR RAVENSWOOD I WILL BOYCOT THAT CRAP FOREVER!!!!!!!!
Flag
So before I get into all the big stuff, what did Hanna take? It looks like a diary, but who does it belong to??

Ok, so I can't make up my mind on the EzrA situation. I REALLY want him to be -A, because I'm so over the writers pulling all these fast-ones. I want someone to be evil and stick with it. I don't think that's too much to ask for. There is a lot that can be explained with Ezra being -A, and there have been a ton of clues throughout the series to suggest it.

HOWEVER, this is PLL we're talking about and the writers love to have things not be as they appear. A lot of the clues that point to Ezra also point to Aria. I've never been on the bandwagon of Aria as -A, but if Grunwald is right about Ali not trusting them, that would definitely suggest that someone is on the -A team. And out of the girls, Aria seems like the best option for that.

Who is surprised that Ali is alive? No one. Yeah, didn't think so. And I'm so not surprised that she would pull it, as selfish and self-serving as she is.

I'm not even going to comment on the girls' stupidity because it's just not worth it. They aren't gonna change.

I'm voting for either Ezra or Wren as the magician. I'm gonna go back and rewatch it to see if I can get a better look at the eyes.

All I know is they better clarify some relationships and what side everyone is on. It's getting WAY too confusing.

More+
Flag
If it was a diary, maybe it was Alison's diary (the one Mona had photocopies of), the one with all their past secrets?
Flag
But it looked like there was more than one there. And they've had their hands on one of Ali's before, which they let get away. So what made that particular one so special?
Flag
Most of the stuff to happen has had a connection to Toby. I don't nor did I ever believe Toby was knowing accomplice but I am sure the true mastermind of A is obsessed with Toby. Did his mother truly die? Did she have another child that no one knew about? I remember someone saying Toby had his mothers eyes and Toby was called that thing A was called about the eyes. Maybe he has a secret sibling that also has his mothers eyes. Maybe secret sibling kills mom then becomes fixated on Toby and in watching Toby he sees how Ali treats him and goes after her. In a number of shows the long lost sibling does not reveal themselves but instead destroys those who make life difficult for their sibling while also messing with the sibling out of some kind of jealousy. The liars are heard condeming and freaking over Toby and then A starts going after them, not a coinsidence.
Flag

So I'm really hoping this ,finally it's about time, ezra reveal to be part of the A team isn't like toby is part of the A team because we all know how that ended and god do we really need to see that, I mean it's bad enough that toby is good again and everything that happened last season is kinda forgotten but do we really have to see him crying over a box of his mother stuff come on!. And ezra being A pretty much confirms that aria is part of the A team and I'm not basing this on the many many signs since the beginning of the show but basically basing it on one crazy psychic lady when hanna said ally can trust them and she was looking at them and saying" not really" well I'm pretty sure she meant aria also there are like tones of signs pointing towards her, tones ! which I'm not going to write because you can pretty much see it on you tube.

And now that I come to think about it , was that magician really ezra in make up ?

Also aria kicking CeCe it took me a second to figure out which show I'm watching right now because it felt so weird I know she's dating jake and taking lessons but still…the all thing was just weird .

More+
Flag

Flag
This review was great, but I honestly do not even know what to say about this episode. I was expecting so much more from it, and that may be why I am a little disappointed. When it was revealed last year that Toby was part of the A Team, I almost had a coronary. This whole Ezra thing though? It didn't do a thing for me. I was not shocked in the least. Maybe because I don't think that the show will stick to this "ezrA" premise.

I am excited about the possibility that Ali is still alive; it would be interesting to see how that plays out with her and the other Liars. I can't wait for the second half of this season, but I do hope they change up Toby's storyline because crybaby Keegan Allen is just not sexy!
Flag
I loved how they dealt with Toby and Spencer's crumbled relationship last year. Not the "Toby as A was just protecting Spencer, and he's not really A, or maybe he is" thing, but just to see the way Spencer reacted, and how emotional she was over the news, and when they finally took her into Radley after the police or whoever found her...it was all so intriguing. I actually liked the crazier version of Spencer - it gave me something to think about. Was she really crazy? Was she just pretending? She had to have some kind of plan, right? Did she really see Ali when she was there? Oh, I just loved it. :)
Flag
I'm still convinced of my "A"(ria)-theory:
I admit, I got no good motive so far for, but the same things that make Ezra suspicious of being "A", also apply to Aria.

-She is the one in the opening credits doing the "Sshhhh" (two can keep a secret if one of them is dead),
- in the scene in 01x12 she is also in the room when "But I was A" is written on the chalkboard.
-In my theory Ezra would be working for/with(?) Aria, so she got plausible deniability when getting texts in front of the others (he might not even know he's getting his orders from her)
-"pretty eyes" could just as easily be Aria (just look at her)
-on scene where she is holding a magazine that is later shown in an "A"-ending scene
-nothing really bad ever happened to her (no bad accident/near death)
-brown paperbag in "A"-ending from their picture
-not only Ezra, but also Aria gets unmasked "UnmAsked"
-there is the plane scene where she looses control after Duncan says Ali might have been afraid of a friend
-the "A" Terror started (again), after Aria got back from Europe
-as far as I remember Aria is the only one who hasn't seen Ali in a "dream"
-Aria wore black gloves at the masquerade ball, just like "A" is always wearing them
-I found a picture comparing a "Black Swan" movie poster to Arias dress at the masquerade ball
-little boy in doll shop points to Aria and says "she looked like her"

There are also a lot of other hints that point to Aria...the only thing missing seems to be a motive...any ideas?

Or maybe as the A-Team theory goes, she is just a part of it:
A(llison)
T(oby)
E(zra)
A(ria)
M(ona)
...but in this case the "disgruntled twin kills sister" (Allison + Vivienne) theory would be the best bet and Ezra and Aria are just revelations of yet another puppet that "A" uses.

More+
Flag
also the old lady said in this episode that maybe some of the liars werent trustworthy
Flag
They've confirmed that Toby was "Pretty Eyes." But I still think it's a plausible theory.
Flag
This show has so many convoluted twists and story lines that I can't for the life of me remember what you are referring to when you talk about 'pretty eye'. Please remind me...
Flag
When Dr. Sullivan went missing and someone from the -A team showed up to meet her at the diner, the waitress referred to him/her as "Pretty Eyes". During the diner scene in 3x24, the same waitress referred to Toby as "Pretty Eyes" when he met Spencer.
Flag
Aria did see Alison in a dream in the last season. I don't remember exactly which episode number, but it was the one where Meredith was drugging her when she was sick.
Flag
oh yeah you're right, completely forgot about that!
Flag
I would love it if the reveal was real and not just another red herring,but it doesn't explain how the person who knows everyone's secrets had no idea that Malcolm existed or that he wasn't his son.What was the point of that sl anyway?
Flag
I want reveals from this show, and when I'm given them I'm still not satisfied. Because I just don't think this show has the balls to make Ezra into A. We'll see I guess. The fight scene with Aria and CeCe was laughable...I mean those kicks (atleast Aria's trying?..) but I mean these people have been stalking you and crashing cars into your house, kidnapping your friend putting them on a electric saw-mill, PICK UP A DAMNED WEAPON ALREADY BEFORE YOU RUN OFF TO CHASE THEM.

Anyway..I'll be back for the Halloween episode and the other half of season 4. And Season 5. But I'm hoping that's the Final Season because I just want it to be over already. I hate this show
Flag
Loved it! Very annoyed at having to wait till Oct to see the rest. This is the first time the Halloween ep has been the second part of a two-parter, isnt it?? Very well done, will definitely keep people watching a little longer. Still not convinced I'll be watching Ravenswood though. And I hope they dont break Haleb up for it!
Flag
Wow that ep was full of flaws but man, they still got me hooked with this Ezra revelation!! Damn it!! The whole time I was like "come on, you guys can't be that stupid!". The chainsaw scare thing with Emily was the stupidest thing, I was like "just stop the chainsaw already!!". It was ridiculous how little Aria mastered those karate moves only after a 2 minute class with big old boring Jake and how the rope just broke itself when Cece was on it! Of course she's gonna fall and of course she's gonna disappear!! That's not news for us! The whole "we found a more sophisticated A lair" was nice even though we didn't really learn anything from it and the idea that Ali is still alive is outrageous! BUT, when we saw Ezra punching that door in A's lair was the brightest moment of the ep and left speechless! I guess it's gonna be like Toby, he's not gonna be the big bad wolf after all but it's nice that he's involved in all of this! I'm kinda sick of all the twists and turns though, those connections between Wren, Mona, Shawna, Melissa and Cece are wayyyyy too complicated! Get it together people! Oh and one last thing, guys if you wanna use some french, use words that actually MEAN SOMETHING!! I'm French! That Emily app was just crappy French and didn't mean ANYTHING (Have you heard from Mona? = "Avez-vous des nouvelles de Mona", period!) as well as the cryptic A text "Leger de main"! How hard can it be to Google good and real french??????!!
More+
Flag
Whether it's French or not, I can't say (I was a Spanish kid), but "Leger de main" does mean slight of hand. Expressions don't always translate directly.
Flag
Yeah that is exactly my point! it's a word for word translation but it doesn't mean anything in french, they did the same thing with Emily's app. The french expression would have been "jeu de main" i guess. It's no big deal but it amazes me how wrong they were since it's easy to call a french consultant with their budget!
Flag
This is long and I'm sorry but my brain is screaming @ the reveals this episode gave us.
1. Two Redcoats: Cece and Alison(?)
I believe the second Redcoat is Alison. After this episode I believe she is alive. I believe what I was told which is a silly mistake to make with a show like Pretty Little Liars. But it makes sense, ‘A’ isn’t after the Liars - he wants Alison and is using the Liars to lead him to her. Meanwhile, after the old lady with amazing eyes saved Alison, Alison fled and has been hiding in Ravenswood this whole time. Only returning to Rosewood (as one of the Redcoats) to help the Liars - what we once thought were hallucinations of Alison could easily of been her playing ‘A”s game. Maybe she isn’t ‘A’, just another victim…
2. ‘A”s Lair!
I am SO SO SO happy we finally saw ‘A”s lair. It was great to find out how ‘A’ can be everywhere without being anywhere, that ‘A’ is paying Cece and probably others to do his dirty work, that ‘A’ is more than likely a he, that Wren isn’t on The ‘A’ Team, that ‘A’ has kept timelines of everything that has happened, that ‘A’ is clearly a psychotic genius.
3. EzrA.
Ezra is ‘A’? Or at the very least, on The ‘A’ Team. I have always suspected Ezra of being a shady son of a bitch but never of him being on The ‘A’ Team. I tell a lie, the only time I thought he was a member of ‘A’ Team was when I saw this:

Granted it’s somewhat of a reach (maybe not now) but everything little thing counts on this show.
I don’t believe for a hot second that Ezra is the big ‘A’, the mastermind, the leader. I believe he is an important part of The ‘A’ Team… Which could explain why Aria (compared to the other girls) has gotten off pretty lightly when it comes to ‘A”s torture. Ezra probably used her at first but developed feelings for her, causing him to go harder on the other girls and lighter on Aria.
I also believe he is part of The ‘A’ Team because they can’t pull a Toby on us again. They can’t pull the old “I-was-being-forced-into-working-with-A-but-I’m-really-on-your-side” trick again. It would be a copout. I hope the writers stick with this and run with it because finally, FINALLY, Ezra has got some dimension to his character and maybe that will help Aria get some dimension to hers.
I’ve tried to remain calm during this, but I just want to say I freaked the fuck out watching this episode. I screamed multiple times.

Notes:

- Really?! No-one checked Cece’s pulse before declaring her dead and wanting to call the po-po?!
- Of course Aria was a distraction. Why do these girls take their eyes off of one another, especially Emily who seems to be getting the worse from ‘A’ recently.
- Aria gets all of the awards for fighting Redcoat. Finally, one of the Liars stood up to the bitch.
-This season has been weak leading up to this finale, but I’m pretty sure the second half of the season will be cray. (+ I don’t know where we will end up in the second half of the season… but I am ALL IN.)

Kisses
-A
More+
Flag
I really honestly don't think Ezra is A. For 1, he is way to love able and hott. I think he followed them all there and found out that it was still happening. That's why he was hitting everything cause he was mad. I think maybe Alison and cece are against him because he's trying to look out for Aria and find out what happened to Alison and to keep Aria safe. I think maybe when he went upstairs he found out cece and Alison led them up there and ruined everything for him. ALSO if you watched the previews for OCTOBER 22nd. Ezra is with the girls! So obviously he's on there side! Not working against them. He's too attractive to be a bad guy.
Flag
I actually had this same thought. That he isn't A but that he stumbled onto it trying to find Aria and got pissed to find out it wasn't over with. Actually I was surprised coming on this board that everyone seems to think he's A...that's just nuts.
Flag
Personally i'd like to know how Ezra knew where "A's" lair was.
Flag
I'm curious as to what the book Hannah picked up at the EzrA lair is. And, i'm honestly not surprised the person obsessed with Alison and her friends happens to be one of the pedos in town.
And, Alison has to be alive for real. I mean, right? I definitely think that was her eye watching them. Either that or there is some other blonde running around as red coat that we don't know yet.
Flag
Is there a chance the Red Coats are working against A/Ezra as well and pursue their own vendetta? It actually makes sense to me that the Liars are victims to all kinds of threats and can't tell apart which harassment is which.. Why would one of the Red Coats push the STOP button on the machine if that was their own move against the girls?
I'm just guessing here, I can't keep track of all that's been going on (Ezra's timelines would come in handy for me too). It somehow just makes sense that Ezra is the perpetrator here like Nick has been telling us all along.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members