A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Pretty Little Liars S05E11: "No One Here Can Love or Understand Me"

There's nothing like a lyric from a song written in the 1920s about a woman who's fallen from grace trying to return home again to kick off the penultimate episode of a summer season fraught with issues of a woman who's fallen from grace trying to return home again. It’s like the writers plan these things or something.

Pretty Little Liars presented a syllogism for us. A is definitely bad for the Liars. Alison seems to be bad for the Liars. Therefore, A is Alison. It’s an interesting theory. It’s not the right theory, but it's an interesting one. How do I know it’s not the right one? Because the Liars came up with it.

We talked last week about how these girls were going to flip the board and go with their remaining nuclear option of telling Tanner the truth. It was the common-sense thing for them to do, because they’d exhausted every other alternative. They’d played the game to the best of their ability. They’d tried to catch A with theater and butterfly nets. They’d even tried being on the A team for a little bit in order bring the whole thing down from the inside. Nothing works. Being honest in order to upset the game seemed like such a brilliant plan.

Then, less than a minute into “No One Here Can Love or Understand Me,” we heard the notes of UNKLE’s “Restless” and a conveniently placed TV store revealed evidence that short-circuited everything. Of course A has pictures of the Alison visiting Hanna in the hospital, thereby wrecking the girls' (painfully true) story that they didn’t know Alison was alive. Head, meet desk.

The history of the Liars being wrong about their convictions is long and storied. The mere idea that they believed Ezra might be A was enough to convince everyone that he couldn’t possibly be A—and as it turned out, he wasn’t. The one thing they knew for sure was that Alison was dead—and then she wasn’t. They hunted Red Coat (sometimes literally, Emily with hoe in hand) because they thought she might be Uber A—and it was actually just Alison and Cece playing dress-up. Though I guess that last one might still be in play.

Hanna is having “bad thoughts” about Alison being A (“bad thoughts” being deduction). Spencer has fully turned the corner on Ali being bad for them. Emily is so convinced that she’s Freudian-slipping the name “A” in reference to a woman who was her lover just a few nights ago. With everyone so convinced, is it possible that this one time the Liars could actually be right about something? Seems unlikely, at least for now.

The rest of this episode was a necessary parade of what we currently know combined with the writers nudging us a little that they know we know they know. Like Tanner’s assertion that Rosewood “ranks surprisingly low on curiosity.” And the conversation between the Other Liars Brain Trust before Tanner approached them:

Aria: “Nobody tells you anything when you want to know it. Only when they feel like telling it.”

Hanna: “And they only tell you enough to make you crazy to know more.”

But what did they reveal in preparation for next week's #FAtalFinale? We can start with the Sisters Hastings and a video that could’ve just been a letter.

Melissa definitively telling Spencer that she was the one to bury Bethany Young alive is important information. Her involvement in what happened that night was always present, but never really accounted for. The red herring was that Melissa hit Alison for her shenanigans with Ian. Instead, she just happened upon a bludgeoned Bethany Young and buried the body. Without checking for signs of life first. I guess Emily is the only person in Rosewood who knows how to find a pulse.

This, of course, led the Liars to what I’d believed was a foregone conclusion: Someone had made sure Bethany was wearing an outfit that matched Alison’s and then bonked her on the head. Since Bethany was interred in Alison’s grave and then the crypt-wall-tomb-thing (I don’t know how mausoleums work), we already knew it was a set-up—but the Liars looked surprised by the information. Was it Mrs. D? Was it Alison? Was it just an unfortunate coincidence and, really, they should be looking for a culprit who simply whacks anyone wearing yellow on the back of the head?

This episode also confirmed that Cyrus Petrillo (that last name still kills me) was, indeed, hanging out with Alison while she was supposed to be dead. A picture produced by the crack team of Emily and Ezra (Emzra?) proved, at the very least, that Alison’s flashback wasn’t totally fiction to make herself believe the lie. Cyrus and Alison were totally hanging out for a while. But why? And how? And other interrogative pronouns?

And then, finally, there was the Mona issue. Mona is either playing the Liars harder than ever or she’s showing some signs of humanity. Her stakeout with Hanna where she admitted to having panic attacks with Alison back in town and her deep talk with Aria in “the ladies’” about not being a good person make me want to believe it’s the latter. Mona's startled reaction to Alison calling out her crazy in that church also makes me believe that she would've been on the road to recovery if it weren’t for that pesky nemesis of hers. The conversation with Aria, though, is interesting, thanks to the “bad thought” that popped into my head when Mona said Ali couldn’t trust Aria after what happened in New York. Why would Shana’s death mean that Alison couldn’t trust her? Or anything else that we saw? Is Shana’s death a red herring for some bit of evil that Aria did while she was there? I don’t put a lot of credence into the “Aria is A” theory, but it did make me curious as to whether that conversation will be part of a future montage, once we know what they weren’t saying.

Otherwise, the penultimate episode of Pretty Little Liars' summer season was a fairly slow one. Set-up, set-up, set-up. We’ve seen the previews for the #FAtalFinale where Alison gets wired up to the lie detector by what seem to be painted garden hoses. I’m sure there will be some shocking conclusions to be had, but this episode had a bit of filler in there with a lot of stuff we kind of already knew. I mean, there was a whole scene involving a Tempest-inspired soliloquy by Spencer about Melissa. And don’t even get me started on the whole Ravenswood business. Hoo boy. Let’s just get to next week already.

NOTES

– All right! You twisted my arm! The Ravenswood stuff. I know this whole season so far has been teasing “What’s Eating Caleb Rivers?” and we all know that what’s been haunting him (I can’t believe the writers had Spencer actually use the word “haunted” when referring to Caleb; they might as well have said that he looks “spooked” or “like he’s seen a ghost”) has been a bunch of nightmare fairy-tales that don’t belong in the Rosewood universe. It’s bad enough that Grunwald psychically detecting where Alison was buried will forever be part of the story of what happened “That Night,” but now we have to endure Caleb’s tale of supernatural woe involving souls let out of jars that turned into fireflies? Seems unfair, since most of us intentionally didn’t watch Ravenswood so that we wouldn’t have to know these things. I was glad to see #Haleb get it together, and maybe they’ll be okay now and we’ll never have to hear about what happened in Ravenswood ever again (at least until we get that final Ravenswood crossover episode in Season 5B).

– Emily didn’t say it out loud, but you could tell that what she wanted to say was, “Ezra, you’re the only person who can help find this information we need, due to your history of being an incredible creep.” It was all in her furrowed brow.

– I kind of wish PLL would dedicate more time to that “great bromance.” Maybe an episode focused on Toby and Caleb hanging out with the Liars going crazy in the background—like a whole hour of the Liars running all over town trying to figure out who A is while the boys sit on a bench, eating sandwiches and talking about how weird Rosewood is. Heck, I’d even take more Ravenswood talk if he agreed not to bring up the Ouija board again.

– There was a lot of time devoted to the connection Melissa and Spencer share. A lot of imagery that was almost more powerful than the relationship has demonstrated in four and a half seasons.

– Ella had to cancel on this movie theater night? Is there some rule that Rosewood's teens can't be in the same room with their parents unless the police are involved?

– Also: Hokey smokes, what do you have to whisper in Mona's ear that will make her break down, leave the room, and cry? This is a girl who used to hang out with broken dolls in the world's most frightening collection of misfit toys and once pasted her plans of manipulation and revenge all over the walls like she was John Doe from Seven. And you made her cry? Dial it back, Montgomery.

– Toby's terrible at interventions.

– Uh-oh, Paige going out on the town. In your face, Emily. Question, though: Is the woman Paige brought to the movie the same woman Jake brought to Emily’s birthday/Sparia’s Bust Jenna party? If so, I totally called it.

– I can’t believe the writers had Toby utter the actual words, “Say it out loud” like Edward does in Twilight. I’m serious when I say there were a LOT of meta references in this episode (this one, of course, called back to the #BooRadleyVanCullen hashtag started by Heather Hogan on AfterEllen).

– Tanner was spying that fedora hard. And I don’t think it was because of the amazing blocking job the local Rosewood haberdashery performed on it. It’s too weird an affectation for it not to mean something.

– The Ouija board pointing to GOODBYE? Just stop it.

– It appears that, while Hanna was looking out the window at all the fireflies in the woods (eyeroll) and Caleb was sleeping peacefully on the couch, someone spied on them through the window. Was this your Moment of A? Or was it a ghost?!

What'd you think of "No One Here Can Love or Understand Me"?

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/2/2016

Season 7 : Episode 6

89 Comments
Comments (89)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
can someone PLEASE explain what the heck caleb was talking about when he was telling hanna about his trip to ravenswood???
Flag
NO MORE MENTIONS OF RAVENSWOOD OR MAGIC, IDIOTS! You can't spin a supernatural show off from one set in the "real" world, in the first place!! What a dumb idea! Please don't mention it again, it's super stupid! What a terrible, terrible, terrible idea. Don't worry, none of us watched it, so we don't care what happened or why Caleb is back, and we certainly don't want to hear him whine. . . ABOUT THE SUPERNATURAL, IN A WORLD WHERE IT DOESN'T EXIST. Or are you trying to tell us that A knows everything going on with the liars all the time because he/she is a wizard?? Spying on them by looking into a crystal ball? NO? THEN DON'T MENTION IT AGAIN!

I'm sorry, but I just can't take it anymore! Were there magic fucking fireflies flying around in Rosewood? Maybe they're A's eyes and ears?

Haha, ok, I feel better now.
Flag
I like to think I've been very patient with PLL... I was going to scream though, if that last shot had panned out any further revealing Miranda peering through the window. Stop trying to make Ravenswood a thing, please. It failed move on. Why couldn't Caleb's problem be that his memory from his time in Ravenswood was getting foggier, and he was concerned? Ugh.

And really, Melissa, you spent the better part of four seasons being shady and withholding information and you decide to tape your confession? On a video file that can not be deleted with any certainty on this show, one which 'A' will undoubtedly be blackmailing the liars with in the future? What the f.

But, I was really confused about which body Melissa had buried, because wasn't Alison actually hit on the head and buried alive before 'The Grundelwald' pulled her out? Or am I confusing an Ali lie for reality. Also, who even am I?
Flag
Aria's brother, Mike, would be an interesting "A" suspect, playing both the liars and Mona.
Flag
Why don't they just resurrect Bethany on a Halloween special and ask her what really happened 'that night'. I'm pretty sure they can do that now.
Flag
Staff
They won't have a Halloween special this year. But it might make even more sense to do it on the Christmas special. Is this what that Lindsay Lohan movie I Know Who Killed Me is about?
Flag
Not a big fan of Caleb basically saying 'Oh Miranda disappeared so I just thought I'd come back and get involved with you again!'. If I was Hanna I would be full of questions and insecurities like, why did you abandon me when you had just met this girl, were you ever going to come back if she hadn't 'disappeared/died'? Did you love her? Do you still love her? etc etc.
Flag
Staff
That's one of the larger problems with the gamble of bringing Caleb out of PLL and it not paying off. A major of premise of Ravenswood was this connection between him and Miranda that was bigger than what was between Hanna and Caleb so they dissolved Haleb. Now they're downplaying the ghost romance by saying it was a trick by the devil and it probably wasn't ever real in the sweeping-romantic sense.

You're right that it was weird that Hanna didn't have any follow-up questions. But (a) that's completely in line with a town that "ranks low in curiosity" and (b) that's more circumstantial evidence that PLL was ready to scuttle this storyline under a very large rug as quickly as possible. I know this is a word that doesn't mean anything anymore. But it's a what I see when I watch this show. The fact that they brought magic into Pretty Little Liars is going to 'haunt' them.
Flag
I don't understand what Melissa was saying about bury Bethany. Wasn't Allison who was buried and then the psychic rescued her?. Wasn't Bethany's Body found on first season in a place so far away. I am so confused, why does Melissa said that she buried Bethany in her yard. Could somebody explain me that ? =$
Flag
Bethany's body was found buried in Alison's backyard
Flag
Poll

Flag
Do people really believe Aria is A? We all theorise when it comes to shows like PLL but if Aria turns out to be A i will throw my PLL DVD's & T-shirt in the bin

How can Aria be A? Even after watching a YouTube video of all the evidence pointing to that conclusion, i still don't see how it is possible.

A CANNOT be any of the main 4 otherwise the show will mean nothing.
Flag
Ok, so, I'm SURE that at this point, they've written themselves into a position that NO ONE makes sense as A. . . but Aria would be my personal favorite result! I don't know, somehow I still feel like I don't know her as well as the other Liars. . . like, I'm sure it couldn't possibly be the other 3, but Aria. . . I want it to be her, even if it makes no sense! Better her than someone super random. But no reveal will be as good as the initial reveal of Mona.
Flag
I think they will pull a HIMYM and make A someone we have not seen before, then have a full episode showing that person's history with Ali and the PLL's etc... That happened on Desperate Housewives and i was one of the few who loved that story on DH so i'd be semi-fine with it on PLL, i just hope it is not any of the main 4 cause i don't see how any of them could be A without a billion plot holes.... And im one of those that are not bothered about plot holes
Flag
So not Ali ha? Interesting but as the review says is set up, set up, set up, I kind of like Tanner at least she is harassing the girl to do some detective work not to be a creep unless she is revealed to be part of the A team and have a grudge on some teenage girls.. I hope not.

I'm still wondering does Rosewood ever get movie from this decade? They all see is Black & White movies like ever and maybe Insidious 2... but they just saw the preview as a placement lol.

The scene where Toby & Caleb talk was bad acting 101 they were both awful especially Toby...

The Ravenswood talk seemed waaaaaay out of the place, the supernatural stuff doesn't mix with PLL even with "A" been an omnipotent figure that doesn't have something better to do than follow these girls 24/7
Flag
Does Aria's now very obvious A-like tendencies add even more credence to the Aria is A theory, or have the writer's read those theories and intentionally decided to add some extreme reinforcement to it as a form of misdirection?
Flag
This episode is just unfolding events that happened and events to happen,The Emily-paige love is so sweet i bet Emily is probably regretting how she missed out on someone like as sweet and beautiful and mostly as "SINCERE" as Paige.i hope they make up.
Flag
i don't paige is nothing but cringe worthy and just doesn't fit in
Flag
no way she's has got chills man like she the only one that fits a relationship on here.
Flag
Agreed! Don't like her, and don't like her drowning-people ways.
Flag
c'mon I mean you def agree what she feels for Emily is sincere
Flag
What you say is true. I just tend to hold grudges against characters indefinitely when they've done something which I deem unforgivable. That crazy drowning thing is included.

I also won't be forgiving Ezra, ever, for the multiple unforgivable (unforgivably creepy) things he has done. I'm not singling Paige out. Ezra is a criminal, as a stalker and statutory rapist, and Paige is a violent psycho. I always wanted to like the Ren character, but the flashbacks of him hitting on Spencer at 15 put him on my permanent list, as well. Ashley, though not a criminal, was such an idiot sleeping with Wilden to try to get Hannah out of trouble, that I can never look at her as anything other than a complete idiot. And Arya's dad is a cheater and slept with someone under his tutelage, and every time he's on the screen all I can think is that I wish they'd write him off the show already.
Flag
oh but i fancy paige and i think she makes Emily
Flag
What is PLL's obsession with black and white movies? Like other than news and honey booboo reference before I'm not sure if they watch normal TV or movies.
Flag
How have the Liars not waterboarded Mona? Aria should have whispered something into her ear about strapping her to a chair, shaving her head bald, ripping out her fingernails, ruining her manicure in the process, and injecting animal fat all over her face.
Flag
Staff
The Liars are ardent supporters of the Fourth Amendment?
Flag
lolzzz
Flag
I see the fact that liars never made it to police station came as no surprise whatsoever to anybody. It was just a matter of "why they don't make it" rather than "will they make it?"

Why would Shana’s death mean that Alison couldn’t trust her?

It makes Aria vulnerable, prone to breakdown, attack of guilty conscience or wanting to make a deal if pressed by police for something else. She became the weakest link.

Also:
-nice wardrobe both on Paige and Mona
-I'll echo #noRavenswood sentiment, I tried watching, gave up quickly
Flag
Also good on Hannah, she seems to be having regular attacks of smarts
Flag
It was a good episode,but very slow.I have to say,I didn't watch Ravenswood and I don't care what happened there.I don't understand why the girls don't team up with Mona to protect themselves from Alison already.I'm calling bullsh*t on Melissa's 'I didn't check the pulse,I didn't see the face'.You hated her Melissa.Just say you hoped she was dead/didn't care if she was breathing.Also: 2 girls wearing the same clothes were buried alive on the same night?Come on. Paige had better have self-respect and not get back together with Em.I don't like her,I will not forget that she tried to kill Em,but Em was an A-hole to her. The show needs more bromance.Isn't Ezra the luckiest creep?3 underaged girls have shown up at his house without him lifting a finger.Hanna and I could totally be BFFs (we have the same bad thoughts) if it weren't for the tiny problem thats she's a fictional character. :(
I know the showrunner said in an interview that there will be no twins,but how else are they gonna justify that when Alison whoever it was that killed Bethany,people were going to think she was Alison.It was a little spooky watching the girls craft their 'Alison is A' theory a week after I 'd posted the same comment.It 'm pretty sure I looked haunted.I was like I 'd seen a ghost.
More+
Flag
ohh i totally love Em and Paige together,Paige had a real thing for Em but Em was too caught up in Alison's bullshit
Flag
Em and the other girls should have known better though.I hope Paige doesn't give in immediately.
Flag
CeeCee was also there wearing the same outfit that night too talking to Melissa remember.. what's with yellow tops??
Flag
I understand copying your friend's style,but 3 girls wearing the same shirt (or at least the same color) is a little much.Honestly,I didn't remember Cece was there too.I hardlyremember anything about Cece.Aside from Shana,she was the most random,irrelevant character of the show.
Flag
Don't know if this theory is already out there in the wide wide world, but what if Allison planned to kill Bethany dressed as her, so that she could run away with everyone thinking she was dead? Would make 'sense' (in a PLL-kinda way).
Flag
I thought that for a bit, but Bethany had already escaped when Alison was hit over the head (remember the phone call with Mrs D) how would she know someone would try to kill her (unless that whole thing was faked & an Ali story) and how would she know that Bethany would escape/how on earth would she have had the time to help her with how busy her night was??
Flag
But who benefits from murdering a girl wearing Ali's clothes? Only Ali herself, I think. So she could disappear with everybody thinking she's dead. I can't think of anyone else. I would be a rather big coincidence if someone would murder (or at least hit her on the head) Bethany, with Ali's clothes on, at the same night that Ali wants to run away (with the help of Mona). Kinda sloppy, by the way, for Bethany's 'murderer' not to check if she was really dead, and just leave her there. She could have woken up wearing Ali's clothes.
Which brings me to another theory. That Bethany-girl came from the mental institution, so she was probably mentally ill. What if she had some kind of obsession over Ali, and decided to pay her a visit, wearing the same clothes (how did she know what clothes Ali was wearing that day? Oh whatever...). Someone who wanted to murder Ali thought (s)he hit Ali over the head, while it was in fact Bethany. That someone noticed it wasn't Ali, paniced, and ran away, leaving her for Melissa to bury.
Well, I don't know, I hope for a logical explanation in the end, not one with a thousand plot holes....
More +
Flag
It's getting to the point where I don't see how they can explain it without a bunch of plot holes..
Flag
I don't quite rememer where I made this comment before, but wouldn't it be fun if someone who has absolutely no life at all would make a complete timeline of the evening of Ali's disappearance/Bethany's murder? ;) See if we can already find a bunch of plot holes, and figure out a way they can explain it all without more plot holes, if that would be even possible :P
Flag
Wow, Ravenswood really musta been awful. Yikes.
Alison made no appearances in this episode, and you know what, I didn't miss her.
I'm very confused about Melissa's confession. I don't see how it fits in with the timeline of events we already know about. So we're supposed to believe that in the time it took for Mel to see Spence moseying back to the barn dragging a shovel then run over to the hole in Ali's yard, Mrs. D came outside, found her daughter "dead", buried her in a hole in the yard, left the scene of the crime, Mrs Grundwald "felt" Alison, found the hole in the yard, pulled Ali out, Ali disappeared, then Bethany Young came into the yard from wherever she was, was murdered by whomever, and the murderer escapes without being seen, all in the space of what, 2 minutes? Is this more of the wibbley-wobbley timey-wimey bullshit that happens in Rosewood? Everyone moves at the speed of The Flash, but time moves like it's migrating through molasses?
Tanner coming to Aria's house to "talk" to Byron, what was that? That is in no way a normal conversation to have between an investigating detective and the father of a person related to a crime (possibly), who is also a minor. Looks like Rosewood PD Dept. of dopes is rubbing off on Tanner.
Toby is the worst at interventions. Looks like he'll make a fine addition to the Dept. of Dopes too!
When Byron came into Aria's room I immediately thought "Oh we're not going to see Holly Marie Combs on this episode then!", and, I was right. Obviously no two Rosewood parents from the same family can be in the same room at the same time. But, I guess one parent is better than none, á la Spencer and Emily.
More+
Flag
You pretty much just said everything that I was thinking.
Flag
Spot on!
Flag
Yes, I was thinking the same thing about the timeline, it was very confusing. I think part of the problem is that they have been revealing pieces of that night for almost 5 years now so it is hard to keep it all straight and all the facts have gotten jumbled up. Instead of just resolving this story and moving onto something else the writers continue to make that night more and more complicated, it is almost incoherent at this point. I hadn't thought about them both being buried in the same hole within minutes of each other. lol. I guess one explanation could be that someone is lying, like Ali was never buried and just made that up, but that would only make things even more confusing. Did we ever learn what happened with Spencer that night, I can't remember?
Flag
Maybe someone (preferably someone who has no life at all) can make an exact timeline of the evening in question and everything that has happened that night. Must be fun to see/read :P Possibly including time travel and being in two places at once, and magic, for that matter.
Flag
Staff
I'm honestly surprised this hasn't happened yet. There's got to be a way to crowdsource this and have it available.
Flag
I googled a bit (long live Google!) and found this:
http://pretty-little-liars.wikia.com/wiki/Sequence_of_Events_-_Alison's_Disappearance
(scroll down to 'The day Alison went missing - September 1')
Sort of a timeline, in many words ;)

Still thinking Bethany might've tried to kill Alison. Since she was quite close to Ms. D, she might have seen her as a mother-figure. But Alison is the real daughter of Ms. D, so she might've been in the way of Bethany becoming a part of the family. That might have been why Jessica had been screaming 'what have you done!?' after Alison was knocked out with a rock. Obviously it was someone she knew and wanted to protect. Bethany in Alison's clothes, because, well, she wás in a mental institution, so she was mentally ill, and thus she might've wanted to literally trade places with Alison. Later that night, someone might've wanted to kill Alison (line up, people!), and might have confused the blond Bethany in Ali's clothes with Ali herself (whom had already been buried).

I don't know, everytime anyone has a plausible theory about the night of her disappearance, the writers make things more complicated... :S Hope we'll get a plausible explanation in the end....
More +
Flag
So...I was an early proponent of the Aria is A thing and I moved away from it. Rather, I just kept thinking that of all of them, Aria is the most independent and most unique and willing to embrace her own identity (even if she could be a colossal idiot at times) and so, as a result, was never really under Alison's thumb like the rest of them. I mean even the flashback of Aria's actual secret (her father's cheating) I never got the impression she gave the reaction Ali wanted. I moved away from it mainly because I couldn't actually see her caring enough to do anything, but then last night and whatever the hell she whispered to Mona...that was kind of scary. And then the weird look between her and Paige, a sort of acknowledgment smile or something? I mean from either one of them. Then I started thinking, well, there was someone bugging Alison in the first place who I think we all were presuming was Jenna. But what if it wasn't? And what if they had nothing to do with Bethany and all that? I could see Aria trying to keep her family's secret quiet in some fashion. And then, of course, the biggest evidence, none of this was happening while she was in Iceland with her family.
More+
Flag
I was pretty sure that Mona was the original A that was bothering Ali when she was still alive (remember her creepy room with all her stuff in the flashback?)
Flag
She was A after Ali disappeared, but she was loser Mona before that...
Flag
We don't actually know that. In the flashback from the night Ali disappeared, Mona was in her original A hideout at that hotel, in a room filled with photos of Ali...
Flag
I have never been on the Aria is A bus before and I'm still not really but what you say makes some sense. The only problem is that I can't see how if Aria was A she would have known about Ezra before he was revealed as spying on them. That's the one thing that makes it most plausible that it's not Aria. The whole Ezra relationship. She would have had to have known he was dating Ali when she met him and she wouldn't have spiraled out of control like she did when she found out if she'd known already.
Flag
My more recent idea has been she was simply bugging Alison and not doing anything else or finding out any more information, she just was trying to threaten Ali into silence and then maybe Ali got paranoid and set up the events leading to her disappearance, so Aria never knew or particularly cared about what Ali was doing beforehand. Then her year away in Iceland distanced her from everything until "A" appeared, but then nothing horrible ever really happened to her probably because Mona didn't really consider her part of the clique just Ali's desire to have an artsy type. And then Mona really didn't know what to do with the relationship. But Aria perhaps with the events in New York had that part of her that started all of this awakened.
Flag
yeah, not sure she could have faked that awful crying face!! :)
Flag
I think the Aria is A theory hinges on her having some kind of very intense psychological disorder, like dissociative identity disorder or multiple personalities. So the Aria who went out of control/dated Ezra was the actual Aria, and A is her alter ego that maybe even she doesn't know about? Or she faked breaking down/faked dating Ezra all as part of some crazy elaborate A scheme because she is that hardcore.
Flag
So, Melissa has been protecting Spencer the whole time. But, that doesn't explain her shady behavior in the past, like her hiding her husband, or her team up with Jenna and Shana at the end of S3. Heck, it doesn't really explain whatever she is doing with Wren or all of the vague threats she made to Spencer in seasons past.

Paige is moving on. Good for her.
Flag
The next mention of Ravenswood will be too soon. And Mona calling Mike "Mr. Mike" is not OK by anyone's definition (I looked it up on my Ouija board that I bought after seeing the promotional hashtags).
Flag
Paige looked gorgeous in that black dress. Her date - not so much. This show needs more elegant, feminine Paige.

I'm starting to believe Aria has dissociative identity disorder and part of her is in fact A. That would explain a lot of stuff.

Awww Melissa - I always knew you were the good girl. Spencer you don't deserve such a loving sister.

Once Caleb shaves everything will be ok.

Thanks for review, Nick!
Flag
lolzz you got me at Caleb shaving...
Flag
Staff
Paige did look nice. It was also good to see Paige as something other than a sidekick from demeanor, wardrobe, and behavior. She's always the slumping, modestly-dressed, less-than to Emily and I feel like that was a source of backlash against her. She kept popping up and people questioned why she was even around since Emily was so fervent on diminishing her place in her life. I hoped they would just do something with her, give her a story that isn't sitting on a porch and waiting. It finally came around and I'm glad it did. Emily could use a little bit of chase rather than being chased by every lesbian in Rosewood.

I hope against Aria being A. Seems too easy and seems like a lot of work for someone that's always so busy being not alone.

I don't think we can sleep on Melissa yet. She was still ducking around in the bushes when Spencer walked past. Parts of the story are missing.

A clean shaven Caleb always helps. There isn't a lot of facial hair on this show. Not a lot of hipsters in Rosewood as it turns out.

Anytime! Thanks for the positivity!
More +
Flag
Not to mention we know she was talking to CeeCee that night who was also wearing the yellow top like Alison, she couldn't have 100% assumed it was definitely Ali
Flag
You're welcome - keep doing the good work please :)

Honestly I don't know what lesians of Rosewood see in Emily. If you remember that episode in which Hanna went to lesbian bar - there were way more interesting gals there. Paige should find herself a nice girl and be happy - she deserves it.

I hate hipsters. At least Toby went to a barber.
Flag
Also Alison is A-. The only question is has she told them anything that is true and why did she leave. Did Alison kill Bethany and then her mom made her leave or why would Alison runaway. A seriously doubt there was either an A- messaging Alison unless it was Mona or Bethany Young.

Flag
Spencer didn't kill Bethany Young. Either Melissa buried Alison and that's how Alison got in the ground not from her mom burying. OR someone else killed Bethany Young and Melissa thought it was Spencer and buried the body.
Flag
So if Spencer really did sort of kill Bethany that only leaves Hannah to kill someone.... maybe season finale

Also so glad I didn't watch Ravenswood series
Flag
The fact is Ravenswood was was left unfinished and unanswered and Caleb was THE LEAD. He just cant wobble back to Rosewood like nothing happened. I thing PLL handled his return the best way they could have without having a Halloween special.
Flag
Why is PLL punishing us for not watching Ravenwood? Can we just leave that silliness behind, I mean Caleb can't you just bury every inch of that and pretend it never happened?
Flag
Caleb: "Don't push this, Toby!"
Toby: "What are you so scared of that you'd rather drink than face it? ... Say it out loud!"
Caleb: ".... Vampire!"

I think I heard of that fanfic... XD
Flag
That i'll never be cast as a lead again.
Flag
Again I'm confused. First Alison was hit over the head with a rock and buried alive, then pulled out of the ground by Mrs. Grunwald. And then the same night Bethany Young was bashed over the head with a shovel and also buried alive. Is this correct? Were they buried in the same grave? When Melissa pushed Bethany's body into the grave, it seemed pretty well dug, not like one from which Alison had just been pulled out of.
Flag
Thank goodness someone wrote this out! It hurts my brain thinking about it but this is exactly what I was thinking. I'm assuming that Ali being buried at all was nonsense ergo Grunwald was nonsense (which we all thought all along - supernatural does not fit in Rosewood!)
Flag
Staff
No matter what it looked like when Grunwald yanked Alison out of the ground, the working theory from the evidence we have is that: (1) Alison was put in the grave (by her mother), then (2) she was pulled out of the grave (by Mrs Grunwald), then (3) Bethany Young was dumped into that same grave (by Melissa). Both bashed on the back of the head. Both dumped into the same grave. Both buried alive.

The congruency should give us pause. Like bluefish says, we should probably assume some amount of fabrication here or at least some confused details by the parties involved.
Flag
Do we know it was definitely the exact same grave? maybe Melissa dug another one?
Flag
We can't assume anything we learned from alison or anyone she is working with is true.
Flag
spencer killed bethany young thinking it was alison, because bethany young is the estranged twin sister of alison who ended up in radley somehow and came back to kill alison.
Jason hit Alison with a rock thinking it was Bethany.
Mrs. D. buried Alison thinking she was dead. Melissa buried Bethany thinking it was a dead Alison.
Maybe Alison is dead and tricked everybody into thinking that Bethany Young is dead.

None of my thoughts make any sense but the show doesn't either so whatever...
Flag
I did wonder if Alison was dead and this Alison was Bethany but really, there would be slight differences surely, and surely Bethany couldn't fool the whole of Rosewood into thinking she was Alison (hey - stranger things have happened!)
Flag
Staff
That's zany and madcap enough to actually be the ending.
Flag
LMAO!!! Your thoughts actually make more sense than the show does...
Flag
Well this episode was intent on driving home one message and one message only, which is that Allison is the devil and probably A. Which of course means she isn't. Whenever the show tries this hard to tell us someone is evil and plotting against the Liars, all that means is we should cross them off our A suspect list. Remember how guilty they tried to make Ezra look last season? sigh
I must say the Melissa reveal was pretty lame, especially since we didn't even find out who knocked Bethany Young unconscious in the first place. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though, as the writers still need to drag this out for 2 and a half more seasons.
Flag
So glad that they finally got Melissa's secret out of the way, it has been a long time coming. When she made that DVD last episode I expected it to get taken by some random and not seen for ten episodes or so. Also, hasn't Spencer learned that she should destroy that DVD as soon as she watched it the first time. It will get stolen for sure.

My new theory is that Toby is the big A, or at least still part of the A team. He was grilling Spencer pretty hard about the envelope and he is always gone. Plus, he was already part of the A team and could have just played down his involvement.

I didn't watch Ravenswood, so I'm sure that might have been nice for fans, but the addition of supernatural elements to this show is just too much. Literally moving the Ouija board and the fireflies was excessive and confusing. Unless, this is a big set for A being a supernatural being which would in fact explain a lot, but be ridiculously dumb.
Flag
Agree completely about the Melissa secret being revealed this early on from us finding out about the dvd!
Flag
I've been thinking Toby for a while now too, never been a massive fan, but I know it would shock/devastate a lot of people...

They SHOULD NOT have any supernatural elements in PPL.
Flag
Amen! What happens in Ravenswood stays is Ravenswood!
Flag
i thought raveswood was done but i have to say im a litlle intriged about this new development. i never thought they would finish that story
Flag
no no no no we do not did those plots in this already twisted show
Flag
TBH I hoped they would never finish that story... :/ Not a fan of Ravenswood...
Flag
im also not a fan. but rosewood is not magic so find it funny they're mixing supernatural elements where they dont go.
Flag
Staff
The only reason I can imagine that they spent so much time on Ravenswood in this episode is for the Ouija product tie-in. Otherwise I would have to imagine they were prepared to elide the conversation and let Haleb reconcile after he told her the truth about Miranda.

You're right that magic doesn't seem to really belong in Rosewood. I could even see them retconning Grunwald's psychic heroism by saying she was on Ali's payroll or some other reason to go along with that fib.
Flag
I had been suspecting something like that with Melissa for a while now, that either she thought she killed Ali, or that she thought Spenser killed Ali.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members