A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Pretty Little Liars S05E07: "The Silence bf E. Lamb"

How many times will we see different Liars trespass the ex-partner boundaries and then pull back with immediate regret but in that "sorry, not sorry" way? Hanna grabbed Caleb’s fries and then tossed them back, as if that was a proper reversal. If they were really at a point where she wasn’t allowed to steal some of his carbs, would he want the ones with her dirty fingers all over them? And then Emily getting Paige’s hopes up with that habitual “love you” phone sign-off? Fold in Ezria's “slips” and Toby vanishing because he apparently went off to war after his house blew up, and PLL's last few episodes have all the markings of a period piece on the BBC. Except that we’re in modern-day suburban Pennsylvania.

I wanted to start off by mentioning this because "The Silence of E. Lamb" marked the third time this season that we’ve seen a couple get together after a crescendo of inappropriate remarks, not-unwelcome cheek-grazing, and/or generally skipping rope with the line that separates the zones for platonic friends and erosic lovers. It turned out that Caleb didn’t really mind if Hanna grabbed three or all of his fries, and Hanna doesn’t mind if Caleb is spinning out of control after his experience with ghosts and clinically earnest teens in Ravenswood. Despite both of their better judgements, my dear friends: #Haleb has returned.

What a week for Hanna. The identity implosion that’s seen her make the switch from eating her emotions to drinking them probably foretells some unfortunate consequences in her future (because what bout of repeated teen drinking hasn’t resulted in unfortunate consequences—this is television, after all), but it’s paved the way for her to deliver some great one-liners. This is all especially intriguing now that she’s come to terms with her desire to get Ali out of town/cut Ali out of her life. She still makes it to Alison’s side when needed, however, and I don’t usually work blue but for lack of a better phrase, she’s trying really hard to give exactly zero fucks.

As long as you believe Alison is still manipulating the group, Hanna’s thinly veiled contempt is a riot. “Hanna knows what Hanna means” should be the House Marin words. All of her sarcasm at Mrs. Fields’ sadly cookie-less dinner was spot-on. The fact that she's outwardly ready to sever ties with Alison is vindicating. She hiccupped in her resolve after Caleb tried to verbally muscle Ali and Ali gives Hanna an earful about it, but that might've been less about catering to Ali’s neediness and more about how Hanna doesn’t like to be hassled. By anything, ever. 

Now, with that being said, if you believe that Alison has even an ounce of respect for her friends, that her poured-thick apologies and revelations are in any way true, and/or that her old-school/new-flavor HBIC attitude is merely a facade to fend off weaker foes, then Ali’s advice for Hanna to avoid Caleb is pretty sage. He’s in a bad way right now, and maybe the two openly self-destructive characters on this show shouldn’t Sid-and-Nancy it up just yet. But they’re just so darn cute together. He’s the most “unmistake” thing in her life!

With Hanna making people happy by ensnaring Caleb once again and Emily entrenched in Alison drama, it was up to Spencer and Aria to follow through on their new Radley lead. Though it was slightly disappointing.

Don’t get me wrong. Aria at Radley lived up to its awkward promise. Everything she did at Arkham, she did in the weirdest, most uncomfortable way it could've been done. From talking with E. Lamb to even something as simple as laying prints on the table for the art class, it was all bizarre. Not to mention that, out of context, Aria's had a hard time with minorities this season. From murdering Shana to her suspicious side-glancing of Eddie Lamb to her reactions to Rhonda, one could make a photo montage of how Aria Montgomery is as bad for people of color on this show as she was for birds during her Season of Feathers (where her outfits always incorporated something plucked from an animal). To add more creepiness, as Aria tried to escape being caught by Rhonda while snooping in Rhonda's room, she chose to hide under the low-to-the-ground bed. It seemed like way more work to duck under the bar and slide underneath than it would've been to just casually walk out of the room and tell the orderlies, when Rhonda screamed about the thief in her room, that Rhonda was obviously crazy. I mean, she’s at Radley, after all.

The disappointment came with Spencer and Ezra hanging out and all the wasted potential. There was a sliver of hope that Spezra might last out all day as Spencer used her beautiful mind to crunch all the analog data Ezra had sitting in boxes while using her sass mouth to reprimand the dude who’s been watching her and her friends for two years. There was a little bit of the latter, as she reminded him of his enthusiasm for watching other people and, of course, as she threw up in her mouth when he opened the door.

But the focus quickly shifted from all the puzzle pieces in those boxes to the spy gear Fitz had lying around. Spencer wanted a camera to watch the barn and needed someone to set it up for her, so she turned on that famous Hastings charm rather than that infamous Hastings acerbic wit. I’m sure it’s not the last time we’ve seen those pieces, but I’d hoped for more. It was nice, though, to see them explore a kinship they have: They both want to figure out the puzzle. “Maybe we should put down the puzzles and walk away,” Ezra said with zero conviction. Never, said Spencer. NEVER!

So Aria got the good stuff from Radley (Bethany Young’s notebook of horseys and monsters) that was shoved under Rhonda’s bed, and Sparia went to work on what could be happening. The tie seems to be there: Mrs. D was on the board of directors at Radley that helped cover up Toby’s mom and her great fall, and Bethany seems to have been the only witness to the truth. The theory that the demon in the drawing of Mrs D in the scarf is after her and not domesticated by her appeared to lose some ground here, as the pictures that preceded it in the sketchbook featured Mrs D with some handsome devil horns and the word “LIAR” carved into her face. The book didn't answer who actually pushed Toby’s mom from the roof, or why she was depicted in such a revealing outfit in the drawing, but it did help on the connection front. Around here, we call that momentum.

Still, it’s strange that we have to call that momentum. With the Cavanaugh house exploding, this season felt like it was turning a corner—but this week's action was still pretty pedestrian, and save for the last two minutes, A was really quiet. We’re still trodding along, though not so much in meditation over how Ali will affect the clique. Instead, there's more movement on the romantic angles that substitute for significant activity involving the mystery of PLL's premise. All of which is fine, I suppose. There are a lot of episodes to fill. It just seems off that instead of the explosion being an inciting incident, it was more of a short-lived pinch to keep us awake.

NOTES

– The Liars were incredibly careless with their band meetings and even individually with strangers. No one thought to check the stalls to make sure Donna LaDonna wasn't hiding in one before coming out with their A theories and innermost fears? Also, Hanna: Loose lips sink ships. Nice touch from A, though, to not send that last message to Hanna herself. Hanna has a lot of ‘splaining to do.

– Mona has notes from Noel Kahn? How is he still in school with the Liars? Isn’t he, like, 40?

– The “Aria is A” theory has picked up some steam with her visit to Radley, specifically with regard to Eddie Lamb. He thought he’d seen her before, and she looked like she'd seen a ghost when she had to walk by him. The implication, if you subscribe to the theory, is that she’s been to Radley before as a patient, possibly for a dissociative disorder, maybe while she was supposedly in Iceland. Still stretching a little.

– OH NO! Melissa has access to dead rats! So that must mean that... we have the exact same information that we had last week (Mona’s crew placed the dead rat in Paige’s locker). Though I did love Mona’s line while Emily questioned her about it: “You can call me a lot of names, but don’t call me an amateur.”

– This is Aria’s Orange Is the New Black. Except, somehow, she comes off even more privileged than Piper (despite the fact that she’s basically an orphan now).

– Now it's Ali's turn for the Beanie.

– How does Emily know Hanna’s cycle well enough to call her out for making up excuses to bail on Mrs. Fields’ dinner party? Is that something girlfriends just know about each other? Or did Emily just ramp up the creepiness factor? Maybe she’s been keeping a log.

– WHY IS THE VODKA OUT AT THE TEENAGER DINNER PARTY?

– The dinner party itself was just an opportunity to let Hanna to wedge in some one-liners and to give Mrs. Fields a reason to tell Emily that she knows Ali’s not telling the truth. Which is fine. “You don’t have to keep saving her” is good advice. But I’m really not sure why Em’s mom making “popovers” meant something as grave as she made it out to be.

– I’m concerned about Caleb’s brownie diet and the disembodied barista who enables him. The boy needs to eat a vegetable.

– Your Moment of A: A is now reading the Fields’ mail, including an invitation to Ella’s upcoming engagement party. A also seems to have extended bitch’s interest from creepy dolls to creepy clown statues. It’s good to see he/she/it expanding bitch’s horizons.

What did you think of "The Silence of E. Lamb"?

33 Comments
Comments (33)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Does anyone else think that Emily's comment about Ali not wearing the same clothes as the dinner party could be a clue towards the twin??
Flag
I'm pretty sure the time Eddie Lamb saw Aria was just when she was there visiting Spencer. Didn't the girls visit Spencer when she was in Radley? Aria probably doesn't want him making the connection between the two of them since Spencer's already asked him to divulge confidential information and now Aria's suddenly a volunteer.
Flag
You know what i notice myself...that this series is really becoming boring and lenghty...I mean...
Alliy is back and wish she wasn't, because with her there, the whole storyline is gone...finding Allison...
They thought they killed A, but now it is back...probably Mona and her goonies...
At what point is it enough...
Hannah is struggling to break up wit Ally. Aria is trying to find out things, that i am totally not interested in. Spencer is more bussy figuring out her sister at the moment then A thing....Em is...don't know what she is doing...
Somehow i keep downloading and watching it...weird
Flag
Staff
The show is in a weird space right now. The house exploding seemed like it was going to be a shot in the arm but we seem to be in a limbo now with A revving up, a Black Widow sighting, and the Liars still dealing with their identities in the New Alison Era.

If you want something to look forward to, there's always this from Marlene King's AMA (made a link to save people from spoilers).
Flag
lol Nicholas, you are still wondering about the students in this school?! The school is only there so the girls can have cryptic talks and mad stares on the hallways! I don't agonize about students like Noel, Mike, Holden or Andrew anymore... THE SCHOOL IS GIRLS BATTLEGROUND! :P

I still don't believe Aria is A. Lamb probably just recognized her back from days when she visited Spencer... Maybe she reacted so weird cause if Lamb would've remembered her, he could have put 2 and 2 together to know the girls, or at least Spencer, have something to do with it.

OH GAAAWD, an OITNB reference? INSTANT LIKE! :D And if Aria is a Piper, then Spencer definitely has to be Alex!!!

The girls are like 24/7 together, whether in school, at home, in the woods, in shady cabins... It wouldn't surprise me if they'd already have a menstrual synchrony. XD And if that's not the case then I can ease you: it's a girl thing to know about that, especially when you are that close like the Liars. So Ems knowing about Hanna's cycle was IMO one of the most normal things ever happened on this show. ;)

Pam Fields, developing from one of the most conservative of all moms to a very relaxed, to minors vodka serving cop, or... plot hole?! Don't question it, it gave Hanna the opportunity for great one-liners.

Yeaaah, A expanding his fetish of dolls to clowns... I didn't wanted to sleep anyway- anymore!
More+
Flag
I hated Alison when she was "dead". She's a horrible human being. Barely a human being. Is this show actually trying to get me to feel sorry for her? Lol! And the fact that these other chicks- especially Shay Mitchell- are trying to like help her out or whatever, just makes me crazy. Hanna is the only one with a brain at all. Well, Hanna and Shay Mitchell's mom.
Flag

Any significance of the blonde girl who had a tantrum at Radley?
Flag

The second Caleb reached for the third brownie it was clear to me he was definitely stoned... I even love bad decision Haleb.

This was by far the best news 'A' has ever given us. Ella's back!

Flag
LOL I kept thinking that Rhonda seemed like a character ripped out of OITNB.

I thought I never say this but Ravenswood make Caleb interesting! and Toby is still MIA.... maybe Spencer should find another love interest.
Flag
What if someone mistook Ali for Bethany, then actually succeeded in killing Bethany? Whoever buried Bethany either knew Ali wasn't buried there or thought they were putting Bethany on top of Ali. If the latter is true, they had to know that Ali wasn't in the grave after the hole was thoroughly excavated when Bethany's body was found, so at some point they must have at least suspected that Ali was alive. Mrs. D might have buried Ali & helped cover it all up because she instigated the hit on Bethany and couldn't turn Ali's would-be killer in without screwing herself over. She could have wanted Bethany dead because she saw Mrs. D do something bad, such as killing Toby's mom.

Not sure if/how the DiLaurentis/Hastings feuding comes into this. Maybe Papa Hastings was involved in the committing and/or covering up of one or more deaths. If there's anything to be learned with surveillance equipment I bet a lot could be learned by bugging Papa Hasting's phone, office(s), & car, tracking his phone and/or car with GPS, and putting cameras & microphones it whatever room he sleeps in.
Flag
So Alison is a stan for Ezra and Aria, even though Ezra stalked and manipulated Aria, the underage girl he supposedly loved and her fellow underage friends.
But she doesn't think Hanna should trust Caleb when Caleb has always had Hanna's back since Day One and he's the only one on the show that would actually call Alison out on her bullshit,
Flag
To be fair (to Alison of all people, I know!), anyone who has called Ali on her crap has also been an enemy of hers. So, in her mind, Caleb may actually be as bad as Mona, Melissa,etc. Also, Ezra seems to care about her for some reason.
Flag
I am going to bitch again about how they are writing both Hanna and Caleb. Now, I do believe they are the two characters actually totally suited for each other and I have always enjoyed the fact that Caleb might actually be smarter than Spencer and his claims to be steps ahead of people are actually legitimate. Now, I've never gotten his passive aggressive attitude toward Hanna since he got back (dude, you were the one who dumped her - but I guess finally having Hanna basically call him on it was finally correct) but then Hanna is weirdly desperate to get back with him. Yes, and honestly this line would have made me feel better even if its cheesy, you I loved you and you broke up with me, it never stopped me loving you, I just need some clarity. I sort of also rolled my eyes at the drinking from both of them - I feel like this is a retread of issues both have dealt with before. I mean, just embrace the emo and whatever attitude about everything and I am willing to bet they are going to be the ones able to see the bigger picture that way (and come on idiots, who'd you talk to).

Then they were all, but especially Aria, were doing my total pet peeve about this show. THEY ARE TERRIBLE LIARS. Aria and Emily are the worse at this, at least Hanna and Spencer have some distraction technique. But can any of them have a small talk and say nothing conversation or at least hide that they are lying? I mean staring at the person blankly is pretty much the worse thing, they could basically learn that from Ali, if you don't want to answer a question or you are surprised, smile or say, oh really? I mean, even if Aria just recognized Eddie from the surveillance video and was surprised, even if you suspect he knows you, you know you know him. You are in power in that dynamic, be friendly and polite, you don't say anything, he said, hi, you smile and ignore him. That's stupid. If you had said hi, yes I am a new volunteer, you blend into the background and he goes about his business. Instead you sparked his interest. It has always really bugged me with Jenna, they stare at her. SHE IS BLIND. Hell, I was surprised Emily actually spoke to Mona as opposed to just glaring at her from a distance and then being startled when Mona just had an instinct kick in that she was being stared at and turned.
More+
Flag
Caleb is not being passive aggressive with Hanna. He just isn't in a good place right now. Neither is Hanna for that matter.

Re: the girls being terrible liars: isn't that the point. They are bad at it, and those lies are ruining their lives, so they need to stop.
Flag
Actually, that creepy clown is a little money box we've seen a lot through the A moments :/
Flag
Staff
Yeah, but I made a joke about it THIS time. :)
Flag
Mrs D pushed Toby's mum off the roof and Bethany Young saw.
Flag
I'M TIRED....I was watching this episode and then I remembered that this show got 2 more unwanted seasons. This should've been its last. It's a complete waste of my F**king time. I stopped watching it just before this episode made it half way thru. Sorry PLL, you just lost me. The first four seasons ratings and viewers may have been high but this is when it starts falling. #deadpool
Flag
OMG,then you just missed biggest revelation,when you stopped!!! .........
Flag
"Hanna knows what Hanna means!" Tell 'em, girl!! XD

IMO Hanna still has the clearest mind when it comes to Alison, even though she has to struggle with her Haleb on/off stuff (which starts to annoy me. Caleb, get your shit together! You are not in Ravenswood anymore!). I can't even blame her for drinking Wodka at the dinner party. I mean, who wouldn't when you have to play the silent sheep while the wolf spreads more lies and kinda forbids you who you can meet?! High point of the evening: getting kicked out by a "friend" who had to struggle with alcohol issues in the past, too... -.- Btw, love her new style!

I'm not mad at Emily that she kinda plays Ali's puppy again, she still figures out her feelings, but I really hope she takes her mom's advice to heart that she doesn't has to keep saving Ali anymore....
And can I just say: "Okay. I love.... I'd love to hear from you." *o* My.Poor.Paily.Heart!

I'm not sure about anything when it comes to Melissa, like what team she's on, IF she's on a team, or does she have her own circle of Rosewood ninjas, but what I DO believe is that she would do anything to protect her family, especially Spencer! You could practically see that she wanted to spit out the truth when she teared up.
Loved the Spencer/ Ezra team up! :)

Alison... meh. Don't trust her. I can see her driving a wedge between Hanna and the girls. I wonder if they introduce the twin-story now...?!

Sydney.... double meh. Don't trust her and don't like her. Her storyline can follow Shana's...
More+
Flag
Is Spencer smart? Wow,she put camera outside,where she can see stuff for herself...and wtf was that? She puts camera somewhere near hear window(?),spies on camera,sees nothing,walks to window,again sees nothing and then gets alert on camera,that someone is there...!?!?!?!?!? if she was standing at window,she should've seen it with her own eyes....I don't even wanna get into,how stupid it was with Em's mom.
Flag
I feel Hanna's pain, Rosewood is a cesspool and keeping up with the all the lies and threats must be exhausting, being drunk seems like the most logical solution! Though pretty sure you would smell the vodka at the dinner table but then again when has PLL ever cared about logic and when has Emily's mom ever cared about parenting.
Flag
When have any of the Mother's ever cared about parenting?
And yeah, if I lived there I'd be hitting the bottle on nightly basis too!
Flag
I find it interesting that only Alison's dad thought about moving away from that town. The other parents don't seem to really care that their daughters are in danger.
Flag
I agree with you. Especially Emily's family. Her dad lives in Texas and her mom doesn't really seem to work or ever be around, so why wouldn't they move her? They are the parents they should just make her move. Also, how/why is Toby's dad rebuilding that house? Seems like a good time to take the insurance money and move on.
Flag
Didn't Emily's house get hit by a car through their window. Who stays when their house gets hit by a car.
Flag
I think Caleb kinda destroyed his credibility when he got into the Ravenswood loon town brouhaha. I sort of miss Hanna's pseudo-ex Travis. PLL need to sort it's stuff together you cannot just open a plot hole and when things don't add up to close loose ends we will blame it on a character that was dead, never EVER mentioned before and expect us viewers to settle with that answer. I think I'm bracing myself for a flashback on why the ever so dead and crazy blonde chick is the key to this 5 year mystery. And why Ezra gets so much screen time when he is so dismal?
Flag
Really Hanna vodka.
Flag
The Spezra is my new favorite duo. Every second of them together was pure gold! She was careful to go full Spencer on him, but still had just the right amount of sass. Together they will probably get closer to A than the other duos. The camera already has bore fruit. Cryptic, dark fruit...but still. Though I'll commend Aria for reconning volunteering at Radley....asylums, am I right?!

Poor Emily. All she wanted was a bit of back up and Hannah came fully loaded! I'm relieved to see that they've steadily improved Emily's mom's character. She needs to really be cautious and hearing that from her mom pushed her in the right direction; away from Ali.

Aria will be back to full blown basket case next episode because of goth Hannah's loose lips. But as per the awkward dinner conversation, she brought this situation upon herself. The silver lining is maybe one of the liars will become suspicious of Sydney as a result.
Flag
Alison is such an evil little liar...
Flag
I think it is really suss that A chose just as Ali is fighting with A to try turn the other girls against Hanna. Ali as A just got stronger in my opinion..
Flag
Alison was lying to the girls and sneaking around long before Hanna said anything. I'm glad Emily's mom is getting to see the real Alison. I wish Emily was more like her mom. Emily has always been my least favourite liar but her being alison's puppet is the most annoying emily's ever been.

Wish we would have seen Toby. I don't understand why the three guys can't have more time. All they have to do is have them be present and say a line or two and it would be better than be absent for several epsiodes. Toby was in the hospital and we never even saw Spencer go see him.
Flag
Same goes for all the parents, siblings, romantic interests, and B-characters. The list of guest stars always seems to be much longer that the list of principal actors. The show isn't supposed to have an extended ensemble cast, but the way character appearances are staggered it's as if this show is what those actors & actresses do in their spare time and their involvement in storylines is based solely on when they're available. Probably the only time the major of them will be in the same room will be the series wrap party,
Flag
Well Ezra gets lots of screen time its Toby and Caleb who need more.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members