A Pretty Little Liars Community
Tuesday 8:00 PM on Freeform

Pretty Little Liars S04E21: "She's Come Undone"

Everything that was thrown at us before "She's Come Undone" aired was about Aria's anger dance through Ezra's apartment. The episode promo climaxed with the brunette cherub sitting among the detritus of Ezra's life and the wreckage that didn't make her feel any better. ABC Family's suggested hashtag was #EzrasPlace. And, honestly, it might have been the best thing to ever happen to Aria for our benefit.

While Pretty Little Liars' fourth season has thus far been about how these Liars are losing their personalities and their lives to A and all things Alison, Aria didn't really have much to lose because she's about as interesting as cardboard. The only thing that made Aria intriguing in any way was (1) all the birds she must've killed offscreen in the first couple seasons to make so many feather-festooned outfits, and (2) that she was dating Ezra, a high school teacher who wouldn't let societal boundaries get in the way of luring newly minted consensual adults into his lair of hack hipsterdom.

It's all that she was. Her flashbacks with Alison are incredibly tame, and never lead to any self-discovery, at least not in the ways that they do for the other Liars. Her contributions to the ongoing search for their bully are mostly reactionary. While everyone else has gotten more interesting (even boring ol' Emily), Aria's kept busy by staying exactly the same.

A lot of people, in the comments section here and beyond, have noted that this relative stasis means that Aria must be A or at least A-friendly. And, honestly, there may have been no greater case for that than the opening conversation of "She's Come Undone," where Aria told her friends what transpired on the ski lift, possibly spending a small amount of time convincing them that yes, there is a ski lift in the area and you can just get on and ride whenever you want. They came to terms with the fact that Ezra probably isn't A because that would give him too much credit. He's just a struggling writer who saw a way to exploit his questionable choices and rationalize his interest in blossoming young women, who channeled his energy into researching the student body. But then, Emily asked, if Ezra has been ogling them for two years while piecing together some sixth-grade-level sentences for a book, how could he not do something about the b'hoodied syndicate peering into their windows?

Aria immediately asserted that Ezra never loved her, but that doesn't seem correct. While I conscientiously abstain from the AriA debate, I see how the conspiracy theories could start whirling around the idea that Ezra knows about A and wanted to be close to its epicenter to find out what happened to Alison. It might not be hard to justify that Ezra did have an ounce of humanity in him, that he did have an affection for Aria, that he just couldn't find it in himself to take down the woman he loves. The fact is, he singled out the girl who seemed to be the least influenced by Alison and invited her to partake in some bathroom shenanigans. If you're trying to seduce one of the Liars, why Aria? Why not appeal to Hanna's boy-craziness? Why not just engage Spencer academically and avoid the whole questionable ethics thing altogether? Why Aria?

The line in Ezra's journal about Aria not suspecting a thing set her off for a reason. She is, to borrow an unfortunate nomenclature, Suzy Clueless, a young woman traversing her own special oblivion. There are horses with actual blinders on who think she needs to pay more attention to her environment. If she took a Sex and the City quiz, she'd be a Carrie 90 percent of the time and a Charlotte if she cheated. Despite the rash of self-importance that fuels Pretty Little Liars, Aria takes the crown for her ability to remain so self-centered that she can ignore unbelievably glaring red flags. Ezra using that against her was enough to snap her out of that spell. So she trashed his place, flipped the tables, couldn't make herself open cabinet doors when she had an opportunity to smash the glass with a lamp.

Eventually she was sitting among the smashed twigs of furniture and the contents of several dozen file folders, realizing that she wasn't just surveying the wreckage of her relationship with Ezra but everything that'd happened to her before him, before Ali's disappearance, before there was any trouble on the horizon. She was gazing at a visual representation and extensive analysis of her immediate history. There was no better time to leave it all behind. It go. It gone. Bye bye. It's time to get clean.

Ultimately, that's the message of Pretty Little Liars as we start winding down Season 4B. These are girls who are so ripe for addiction that A doesn't even have to set the pins up anymore for them to be knocked down. For Spencer, "She's Come Undone" was basically a rehashing of last week's episode, where her pill addiction worried everyone and even she was amazed at the how close to the brink she'd come. Aria's arrived at the same desperate place since, without Ezra or even a single untainted memory of Ezra, her life feels empty and meaningless; she subsisted on Ezra like he was her only reason to wake up in the morning.

Even boring Emily has found herself in the middle of a scandal as she falls on and off the bandwagon for Alison. She was very much off the bandwagon of recovery this week as Paige regurgitated all the revelations Emily herself arrived at concerning their cherub-faced friend in the beginning of this half of the season. Paige demanded to know why Em was helping Alison, given her history of being an abominable human. Emily believes Alison's changed. It was essentially a deconstructed "You don't know him like I do!" situation. Paige, bored of this particular pink triangle she's found herself in where one of the vertices has been missing for two years, is trying to help Emily stop being a danger to herself and others. While it's pretty much baiting A or whoever to find Alison by giving the impotent Rosewood PD an invaluable clue, I can sympathize with her desire to forcibly end the nagging torture in her girlfriend's life.

"She's Come Undone" wasn't a breather episode but more of a reinforcement episode. These girls' lives stink right now, and there's no real light at the end of their tunnels. I wouldn't be surprised if this season ended with all the Liars curling up into a fetal position in the various rehabs, mental, and criminal institutions of Rosewood without A even having to do much work besides relabeling a pill bottle. More time to spend with the dolls, I guess.

NOTES

– The Liars all have good reason to give up except Hanna, who's really turning things around right now. In the wake of her boyfriend leaving her for a ghost, she's easing into the role of sage confidante now that Spencer is cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs and reinforcing a new connection with the painfully sincere and polite Travis. She's out there do-gooding, and not letting the Alison baggage bring her down. Yeah, she impulsively pecked Detective Holbrook on the lips, but he seemed really uncomfortable about it so they'll just let that slide, right? Everything's coming up Hanna right now. She's her own island in the sun.

– Holbrook did look really uncomfortable with the unwarranted kiss from a minor. Not from around these parts, are you, detective?

– A rare episode with both Mama and Papa Hastings. Not Mariska Hargitay didn't come back after that initial scene, but it's such a rarity these days to see the parents actually involved in these girls' lives anymore, let alone both parents in the same room.

– Why was Spencer going through withdrawals so funny to me? Also, why did they make her go to school? Seems like a thing you might want to take a couple sick days for.

– Where is Spencer getting cronuts in Rosewood? The gals aren't exactly in Beverly Hills.

– "If it were me, I would've burned this place down to the ground." Hanna said that, but I'm pretty sure Spencer would be game for it, too, if it weren't covered in so many clues. Oh, Spencer looked like she just wanted to rake up all the clues in the middle of the room and do snow angels. Clues, precious clues!

– I like how Emily had the right idea to take A's pill bottle away from Spencer and say she would destroy them but Spencer the Addict just said, "Nah, I'll take care of it" and Emily was like, "Okay, that's cool. Let's talk about some other stuff that's not about you squirrelling away your addiction in your purse."

– Did Spencer LUX Shovel Alison that night? That was a new aspect to the "Spencer's all strung out on pills but maybe she's hit on some crazy truth" trope. She can't remember what she was doing that night. So was that the pills or the roofies Emily was subject to last season? My gut says Spencer's not guilty, but my gut also says that Ezra is convincing his agent/publisher not to go through with the book on account of his treacly love for Aria. Both guesses are based on assumptions that evidence presented to us outright can't be trusted. Though Papa Hastings and Mrs. D were pretty evasive about the whole thing.

– Your Moment of A: A Hoodie sitting by a quint fire, reading Ezra's mediocre sentences. After reading that tripe, I'd want to burn it and everything else, too.

What'd you think of "She's Come Undone"?

Next Episode

AIRS ON 8/2/2016

Season 7 : Episode 6

52 Comments
Comments (52)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
"Oh, Spencer looked like she just wanted to rake up all the clues in the middle of the room and do snow angels. Clues, precious clues!"
I really liked this one :D
Flag
Is caleb coming back?
Flag
They should have just stop at Mona being A...
Flag
One thing bugs me. A already knows Ali's alive and I think that if the police started to look for her, it would make it harder for A to act, not easier! So I really don't understand Emily wanting to keep it a secret...
Flag
Why would you take pills given to you by someone who is out to get you??! They could have been anything!
Flag
I see people keep mentioning how odd it is to see the girls' parents etc but when was the last time we saw either of Aria's parents? Specially her mom, wasn't she a teacher or something? or did she die from the bee stings that one time?
Flag
Isn't she in Europe with that baker guy she was dating?
Flag
Ah ok, completely forgot about all that.
Flag
Yes
Flag
PS.No matter what,I just can't quit this show.

Flag
1.Obviously Spencer isn't guilty of anything,since Alison is still alive.
2.Emily and Paige are both so boring to me,I just want to slap that frown off Emily's face.
3.I love Aria freaking out.It's the best thing she's done in the entire show.
4.Spencer and Hanna are my favorites,and while I love the way Hanna's story is going,Spencer getting hooked on drugs is not a good one for me.
5.Also,I understand being super addicted and everything,but you don't just drink random pills that your arch nemesis gave you!There might as well be freaking rat poison in those pills.Weird.
Flag
4B has been getting interesting, at least it seems that we are getting somewhere instead of just running in circles in the same spot at least we are getting to a new spot to run in circles yay!

They really need to give Keegan Allen (Toby) acting lessons maybe Shay should show him Joey's actring classes.

I think all the inappropiate relationships with in this show are because the parents are not around that much and they have daddy issues.

I'm afraid that Caleb is coming back for s5, I like that Hannah is coming to his own.. but well....

Flag
i am so pumped for whatever is coming!!!!!!
Flag
A few things here..

1) Toby is a terrible actor. I'm sorry but I cannot stand him and his chin.

2) black hoodie A had a flat butt just like Ezra. Hmm....!

3) to give the character Emily -some- credit, she did do her classic Emily "I don't know about that...." Eye look. But then she moved on and worried more about other things.

4) Paige did everything I would've done. You go girl!

5) If Ezra isn't A, and he knows about A... Why isn't A setting -him- up? I mean, hello there is SO much you could use against him. Remember the girls are seniors in the fourth season... They were what, freshmen or sophomores in the first one? That's what,14-16 years old? And he had an affair with Alison -before- he met Aria who was already a little girl. Creepy! Creepy personified. I still don't get why they just act like it's no big deal.
Flag
"...couldn't make herself open cabinet doors when she had an opportunity to smash the glass with a lamp." &---This part of the episode I found hilarious, especially because after she smashed the pane, the door swung open. Girl's just taking unnecessary risks, sticking her hand through broken glass... But other than that, Lucy Hale's performance was bomb. Which just reinforced the fact that she's looking like a prime 'A' suspect. Convenient that she gets to destroy all of Ezra's research in the process...

I'm getting Veronica Mars flashbacks from the parents-cover-up-their-children's-murder plot re: Spencer. And I agree that she didn't do it, her Dad and Mrs. D just think she did (after all, Duncan was innocent).
Flag
Ok does anyone else think that Emily is completely stupid for letting Spencer take those drugs back and put them in her bag again? She knew she had a drug problem, she should have fought harder to get those pills from her. The whole excuse of wanting to get them as far away from there as possible was BS! Flush them down the toilet, that will get them pretty far.

Also, I notice a lot of people have a theory that Aria is A. I was thinking that maybe that is the case. I said in a previous review that if Ezra was really A he would have noticed who else was watching the girls while he was watching them himself. Maybe he knows Aria is A but because he loves her in a demented and disturbing way he won't say anything???
Flag
Oh one more t hing I just thought of, am I the only one that thought the girls leaving behind all of Ezra's evidence was the stupidest thing ever, the way these girls forage and stress over clues, now you are in a room full of clues that could point you in new directions especially since you know Ezra has surveillance everywhere, that was just stupid, they should have all gotten boxes and swiped as much as they could. Emily's girlfriend never trusted her; I've always thought she was on the A team, I think that she wants revenge on Alison and she would join the A team to finally find her and get revenge on her.

Flag
As I predicted Ezra is not A, I knew that if he was they would have just said it; but every season whether it's Cece , Jenna, Melisa, Walden, Mona, Alison or any other A suspect that have been trotted out for us; in the end it's all one big red herring. I have gotten used to this and that is what has made this show predictable, no longer can they dangle the carrot in front my face and expect me to chase it. I really wish that they would just reveal A and kill A and have that start the next murder mystery. Right now my suspect has been for awhile not Spencer but Aria, I think that Aria is A, saying that for the record. Based on conspiracy theories I've read I do think that Aria may have some sort of split personality thing going on and the reason why A never attacks Aria directly is because she is A and torturing her parents and brother are just her having fun. Now the door has been opened that one of the liars is A. I don't think it will be revealed whom it is as long as the show keeps getting renewed but my bet is on Aria. I also put a plea out there once more to get these girls out of high school, they look like they're ready to graduate college.
More+
Flag
Now that I think about it A is relatively nice with Aria. Spencer, Hannah and Emily hit it really hard when A push buttons. Amazing how without Ezra Aria is a revelation. If Ezra won't be coming back... he will NOT be missed even a bit.
Flag
Paige did go behind Emily's back, but it is long past time the cops got involved. Just think about how much trouble the girls will be in for lying this whole time. Not to mention the fact that they are still in danger because of Alison.

Heck, Ezra came after Aria because of her. I am surprised that she isn't pissed off at her, like Spencer last season.
Flag
The more upset Aria gets with Ezra the younger she looks. It's so weird. Spencer needs help but I don't want to see her go to a rehab facility. I just don't feel like she'll get better without her friends. Aria needs to cut the crap and remember she is a teenager. Where exactly are you going? you have no money Aria. It's really disappointing to see that these girls have no family to turn to when trouble/problems find them. At first, I was mad at Paige but now I'm wondering if she is the only one with some sense. In the real world people turn to the police, in Rosewood everyone plays pretend police detective.
Flag
I know that everyone and their dog knew that Ezra wasn't A but they're seriously just going to pass his super elaborate computer network tracking and photographing all the girls movements as "book research"? I don't expect pulitzer level work from PLL writers but COME ON!
Flag
Hanna kiss a single why she is single and people act like she has self control issues meanwhile aria has kissed people while having a boyfriend what's wrong with this picture?
Flag
I know it was inappropriate, but I love Hanna and Holbrook together!
Flag
..Because in no form of reality should high school girls be kissing adult police officers/detectives, would be my guess. It doesn't really matter how single either of them are. I'm thinking the age thing is what is wrong with the picture. Aria kissing teachers is also what is wrong with her picture. This show has a weird line they like to cross with young girls doing very inappropriate things with adult men. It's pretty questionable, and definitely creepy..
Flag
Great episode! Though I don't understand why Spencer would be so upset about possibly hurting Alison even though she knows she's alive! It doesn't make any sense! It would be awesome if we found out she's mentally ill and has some kind of double personnality disorder and would be able to blackmail the girls and herself! They've dropped a lot of clues about the fact that she's clearly borderline and might actually be crazy. Aria's pain was well interpretated but I was quite mad that she didn't even think about really reading Ezra's notebook. It's so stupid! There might be real clues in there! He already knows "Mona's not A" after all!!
Flag
Spencer's upset because she can't remember, likely due to her 1st drug-related probs and her stint in Radley. She knows things, but she also knows that there are memories that she's having trouble accessing and piecing together. In my opinion, she thinks that the pills are helping her recover said memories which is why she keeps taking them (other than clearly being addicted, of course). It's a very anti-hero characteristic: "I do something illegal that physically/mentally harms me, but it helps me remember/forget the pain so I keep doing it anyway."
Flag
Well, trying to hurt your friend with a shovel is a big deal, even if she is a bitch and even if she is alive anyway. But I thnk Spencer is upset mostly because she can't trust herself anymore, she doesn't know what she's capable of and she is probably questioning her own sanity
Flag
Ohhhhh this episode.

First off, I can't remember the last time Spencer's mom and dad were in the same scene (or any two of her family members at once, for that matter). Her downward spiral is understandable - sort of - but I really doubt she hurt Ali. Which means that all these adults refusing to just tell Spencer the truth is going to be extra infuriating soon. Thanks, writers!

What the hell are they doing with Hanna lately? That kiss was the most forced thing I have ever witnessed in my life. If they wanted to make her kiss him, she should not have pulled all the way back. Also, why is she kissing someone when she just apologized to what's-his-face (I don't even really care to learn his name, sorry buddy). Hypocrisy is so unflattering. Plus, there is no way in hell Holbrook would ever have confessed or been allowed - LEGALLY - to discuss the court case which does not involve her in even the slightest way. A lot of this show is unbelievable and pushes boundaries, but give me a break.

Emily has some real relationship issues, I think. I was crazy proud of her for asking Paige to leave because frankly that bitch deserved it. In that one scene on the park bench, Paige was being all the things she accuses Ali of being - manipulative, controlling, childish, and a blackmailer. In the end her word is shit because after all that, she dropped the paper in the cop car anyway. Seriously? I've never liked Paige - honestly I don't know how anyone could date someone who once tried to drown them in a pool - but she has sunk to a new low.

Aria, Aria, Aria. I've always thought her judgement to be way off, but seriously? I don't blame her for going through his things - that was smart - but to trash the entire place when you have all that evidence and all of those clues that might give you even more insight into who A is and why Ezra thinks it's one of you? Incredibly stupid. I get that it was an emotional response, and I don't blame her for smashing the picture of the two of them, but the rest was sort of overkill. I'm not saying I feel bad for Ezra, because I don't. Frankly, I have never been in a situation where my wrongly aged boyfriend turned out to be some crazy, obsessive, "writer"/creepy stalker who dated/slept with my former friend who faked her own death to avoid a manipulative unknown villain, so I - THANKFULLY - cannot really relate or say what I'd do in this situation, but it just seemed ill-advised to get rid of everything.

I'm getting really sick of these wild goose chases the writers keep throwing at us. After all this, we deserve some real, not-going-to-change-suddenly-because-it-becomes-convenient answers.
More+
Flag
Staff
Haaaa, re: Mrs. and Mr. Hastings! I thought the same thing: "The guest star budget for this episode is off the charts!"
Flag
WHY DIDNT THEY TAKE EVERYTHING FROM THE APARTMENT? Spencer grabbed two handfuls of stuff and it lead her to a new clue. It also goes back to them not taking anything the first time from the lair in Ravenswood. It only makes sense because the writers want to keep stringing us along. Seriously, have we learned anything at all this season, I mean anything that doesn't just lead to ten more questions? They really need to wrap up some of the mysteries for real, it is starting to get annoying at this point. Not Ezra is actually just writing a book, Ali is alive but refuses to really speak to anyone except for Shauna, Spencer maybe hit Ali with a shovel and doesn't remember. In four seasons they have never actually wrapped up anything for real. Everything they do is just another red haring or some distraction.

At this point it is hard to keep anything straight, when Travis mentioned "that thing with Wildon" I literally had no clue what he was referring to and couldn't care less about his dad or him as a character.

Also, why would a detective discuss details of an impending court case with a high schooler? Just saying.
More+
Flag
This episode really made me hate Paige... shes manipulative like Ali but worse, she doesnt keep her promises/secrets = not likable at all. Nuisance.

Flag
Emily uttered the line "Ali has changed." Paige is the only reasonable one of the bunch.
Flag
I swear the only reason I still watch this show is to see what the hell the mystery finally is. I thought Aria's temper tantrum was just stupid. Aside from the fact that it was pointless, she eliminated a lot of evidence that could have helped them. It was actually insufferable to watch all of Aria on this episode. She acted like a 3 year old. I really have no sympathy for her. It was her dumb assed fault she wound up sleeping with an adult in the first place. Whether or not he knew her before he met her, she damn sure knew he was an adult when she hopped in his bed. You don't get to make a bad decision and then blame everyone but yourself.

I really can't take another episode with horse faced Paige...she shows up out of the blue and has an attack of conscience? Right. NEXT

I don't even know who Spencer is anymore. She's got major issues. Not the least of which is how the hell she's going to get into ANY college while she walks around like a fruitcake.

Hanna...they fed her the smart pills but still wanted her to be a tramp. Now she's throwing herself at the cop? SMDH
More+
Flag

o.k nothing convince me more than this episode that aria is A , I mean mental illness runs in her family and clearly she was completely unraveling in this episode , and even thoughher reactions is very much justified, there is just so many red flags , I mean ezra has a theory that it's one of the girls and Alison pointed out to spencer in that Halloween episode that she would be surprised to know who her friends really are , and that creepy grunwald women said that Alison can't trust her friends and since Alison seems to trust emily it only leaves aria , hanna and spencer but I think we can easily take hanna out of that equation. spencer had her share of craziness this episode too but for some reason I don't think she can be A, she's just too invested in solving the puzzle that I find it really hard to believe, which only leaves one person and that is aria. (not to mention all the other zillion clues that points to her).

Also ezra for a guy that has surveillance on his apartment and gets notified by an alarm system he installed in his cabin for someone breaking in, you would think after aria found out about him he will …I don't know change the locks or something. The only question that came to my mind when aria was going through his things is how did he not get caught till now, it's not like he was doing such a great job of hiding his work, aria could easily have stumbled through all this stuff , she did spent an a wholelot of time in his apartment while he was away, she found that money that one time pretty easily( he was hidingit in the sock drawer if I recall ,such a rookie mistake ) you mean to tell me that this guy who has several secret lairs just left all of this stuff in his closet!!!! .sounds like a guy looking to get caught if you ask me.

I think that was the first time since the pilot that we saw both of spencer's parents in the same room together.

So Hanna is just kissing people left and right now , can't say I blame her but still a little self restraint wouldn't hurt.

Paige is just the worst , first she basically gives emily an ultimatumwhich either tell her the secret she's been keeping from her or she is going to the police and then after emily confides in her and tell her the truth she still goes to the police and does it anyway , sure she has a point Allison manipulates people and probably manipulates emily now too and even though she wants to protect emily this is sooo not the way to do this , don't go behind your girlfriend's back , this is just the kinda of behavior that reminds us that paige tried to drown emily once in a pool.

Also ezra is just the worst writer ever!! I read the first page he wrote in that book aria found this episode and I'm no expert or anything and English is only my second language but when you write the words "small town" like five times in one sentence that's bad right ?

More+
Flag
Current thoughts:

-Aria is TOTALLY justified in trashing the evidence Ezra had of her and the girls. She's NOT so justified in the property damage. Sorry, Aria, but you should be jailed for that.
-Spencer...Spencer, Spencer. "You need help," said #BooRadleyVanCullen. The boy's right: trust him, the other liars, and even your frickin' parents because they all want to see you off dem drugs!
-Seriously, what has happened to Hanna?! I do not want to see her revert back to the dumb blonde she's been for most of this show. What the hell was with that (quite forced) spontaneous kiss with Holbrook? I really need you to pick Travis or Gabe like now.
-I hate to say it, but we should've seen this coming between Paige and Emily. I don't disagree with Paige being protective of Emily, but don't serve "because I really love you" in the form of an ultimatum. You're asking Emily to go against something that is natural for her, which is helping those around her no matter what the cost. My guess is that the info that Paige fed through the cop car window somehow gets back to Mrs. DiLaurentis and she tries to cover it up.

More+
Flag
I'm still not sure if Ezra is A- or just writting a book but I like the just writting a book storyline better.
Flag
So anyone else wondering if Aria is pregnant? And what's up with Travis...dark secret, gay, or???
Flag
I thought she might be pregnant but I hope they don't go that way.
Flag
Staff
And by "she", we mean Spencer and Aria. And Paige, apparently. THEY'RE ALL UNDONE.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members