Pretty Little Liars

Out of Sight, Out of Mind

Aired Tuesday 8:00 PM Feb 26, 2013 on ABC Family

• A little rug burn, equals a trip to hospital, in Liar-world only.

I watch this show purely for the plot and hype; I believe the actresses may flourish in other projects, but something about ABC Family as a network seems to project dampening performances. Anyway. Right from the get go, I'm rolling my eyes; Hanna's mom, wanting to call the hospitals and her attorney, is the sensical thing to do - you would think that victims of such extensive black mail would wise up and not keep any secrets and live life in the open to discourage said black mail, but kind of show would that not one called Pretty Little Liars. Clearing your name and putting your side out first, that makes too much sense. Hanna easily convinces her mom to not talk about hitting Wildon with her car (it was such a slight bump on his tukus, come on now, we're being overdramatic anyway). Unfortunately, I knew that was coming before that conversation even started. Emily was naively rooting for Toby and seemed to be taking news of his betrayal hard, like THEY had been lovers or Spencer's already been crying this river, let HER own it, it was HER boyfriend, not Emily's. And, ok, what's Aria's beef? She's been championing herself as this mature relationship contender, she's the one who struggled for oh, so long, wanting to tell Ezra about his kid, she didn't go running for the hills when she found out he had a kid, but NOW she wants to get all awkward and reluctant about the situation? Stupid. Like, if I were her, I would've been devastated to have found out about his son from the beginning, realized that that in itself is a game changer, regardless of where his son lives, and have been honest about it kinda making me sad. She's now handling the situation all wrong though, and very immaturely. And for Chrissakes. The boy fell off a low-to-the-ground bed. He got a rug burn. That's it, end of story. Let him cry, tell him he's ok, put some ice on it, and a cool band-aid, easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy, he'll be a happy camper. If I had been a baby-sitter, I wouldn't have considered worrying about that so much. As a baby-sitter, it's your job to handle small, minor, accidental injuries if they happen to occur, despite preventative measures. So you were on the phone, turned your back to leave a message and get a juice box for the kid from the refrigerator for him, yet you were only, what, inches away from him the whole time? Hardly qualifies as negligent. Get over yourself, Aria. But then, whoa, they actually took him to the falling off the bed and getting rug burn?! Am I seeing things right?! The whole thing was REALLY annoying me, if you can't tell, 'cuz it was so outrageously far-fetched and ridiculous. The more dramatic it got, the less I could stand to watch it. Really, writers, is that the best you could do?

But poor Spencer. I really do feel for her, and she has the biggest burdens to carry. And I do believe she gave the best performance of everyone in this maybe because she had the best part?

And Hanna. You're stupid. Dumping a police car in a lake. Yep. Sheer brilliance. Not like that will ever be found and will never haunt you again.