Pride and Prejudice Forums

BBC (ended 1995)

Visual motifs of the series

gabfan31

[1]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 100

I found it interesting how they always began a new section showing Elizabeth walking in the countryside and Darcy washing or otherwise being associated with water.  It was so deliberately done it must have meant something but I'm not sure what it might be.  Could Elizabeth's walking represent freedom, and a figurative breath of fresh air?  And maybe Darcy's washing/water represents the gradual change (washing away) of his old outlook to see things in a new light.  We do get a full immersion (Darcy swimming) right before he meets Elizabeth at Pemberly and that is when his behavior to Elizabeth and her relations changes completely. 

Anyway, does anybody else have any ideas?  Maybe I'm too obsessive, but when they do such an amazing job on a production like theirs it deserves some close scrutiny. 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seashell_girl

[2]Dec 9, 2006
    • level: 8
    Hi,

you've got a very interesting point there...

I agree with you completely

electricpeppers

[3]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 26
    gabfan31 wrote:

I found it interesting how they always began a new section showing Elizabeth walking in the countryside and Darcy washing or otherwise being associated with water. It was so deliberately done it must have meant something but I'm not sure what it might be. Could Elizabeth's walking represent freedom, and a figurative breath of fresh air? And maybe Darcy's washing/water represents the gradual change (washing away) of his old outlook to see things in a new light. We do get a full immersion (Darcy swimming) right before he meets Elizabeth at Pemberly and that is when his behavior to Elizabeth and her relations changes completely.

Anyway, does anybody else have any ideas? Maybe I'm too obsessive, but when they do such an amazing job on a production like theirs it deserves some close scrutiny.

Very interesting. I liked the soaking wet Mr Darcy particularly... sorry I had to drag down the academia with my shallow fangirlness .

gabfan31

[4]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 100
    What's not to love with Colin Firth's dripping wetness? A great motif, and very sensual, as well!

Kadodian

[5]Jan 14, 2008
    • level: 23
    Or the writers were stupid enough not to start any episode in any other kind of way

dragonfly_pat

[6]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 19
    I love the A&E mini series of P&P. The writer, Andrew Davies, was brilliant. Each beginning of each episode was carefully planned. Gabfan 31, you have some interesting ideas.